IGNORED

Match Report: Cometh the hour and 15 minutes cometh the Fam

Olé

39 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Full seasons, just the same as us, finishing higher each year (2017, 2018, 2019). Two exceptions being Villa, and another I forget, who finished either the same but we're promoted via the play-offs the second time, or like Villa, who finished 4th in '18, but lost in the play offs, then 5th in '19 and going up via the play-offs.

I was surprised, perhaps like Hampshire Red will be, that so many other clubs have been doing this too. It's a bit of "perspective" for him/her, at least. As all of us will need, from time to time, wherever we stand on LJ, Bristol City, the universe...

Surprising.

Mind you, we could go back to SC and promotion from L1 then, 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th.

So 5 seasons of improving league position regardless of manager which is very good.

I suspect this season may buck the trend though.

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Surprising.

Mind you, we could go back to SC and promotion from L1 then, 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th.

So 5 seasons of improving league position regardless of manager which is very good.

I suspect this season may buck the trend though.

It was a fib (forgive me), it's two seasons, but don't tell Hampshire! Whereas some are far too negative, and need to see that things ain't so bad, others are a bit too jolly and uncritical, and could do with waking up a bit.

I used to use the "we've improved four seasons on the bounce" thing myself but now think this is a bit spurious. The first two seasons in the Championship were a failure, a fiasco at times, and left a lot of scope for "improvement," as did finishing 12th in L1 in 2014. In 2016, it was impossible to not finish higher than in 2015, in the 92, even if we finished 24th and were relegated.

I now take the view that, under Lee, we have "improved" for the previous two seasons - 17/18, 18/19 - and not in 16/17 when we finished one place higher, fought off relegation again, and set a new club record for successive league defeats. 

I don't suppose Hampshire will agree.

I think the correct list for 3 consecutive seasons of "improvement" is:

Sheff Utd

Luton

Lincoln

Posh

Pompey

Tranmere 

Wycombe 

Cheltenham 

Crewe

Macclesfield 

Salford City

And, technically, us (if we include 2016/17).

Archived