IGNORED

City consult Warnock , seemingly

Major Isewater

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We'd have lost, maybe tanking in the final after an epic semi - final win to get us all excited and optimistic.

Losing miserably in the play offs what Bristol City have always done.

I'm well aware of our playoff record, but given the experience in Cup runs and the similarities between that and playoffs, that season would have been as good a time as any to try and put it right.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

You could argue that it was the exact same tactical performance that shipped 3 goals to Charlton and fell apart immediately against Brentford. I honestly think we'd lose most games playing like that.

We were much more attacking though weren't we when we let in the 2 goals second half against Charlton? We seemed to be going for a 3rd from what I remember.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm well aware of our playoff record, but given the experience in Cup runs and the similarities between that and playoffs, that season would have been as good a time as any to try and put it right.

No chance of City winning the play offs imo, we need to go up automatically.

Getting to the play offs and failing just knackers the Summer window and has a negative knock effect to the start of the next season.

I'll leave it to others to get excited about a top 6 finish.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Getting to the play offs and failing just knackers the Summer window and has a negative knock effect to the start of the next season.

That is the old, built-on-sand, brittle/Bristol City you are bringing to mind there, if you don't mind me saying.

Whereas now, we are the new-fangled, all singing and dancing, 21st century Bristol City: resilient, resourceful, built to last. With, like, proper scouts and blokes pouring over stats on computers, and shit. Plus drones.

You are using what you know about the past to inform your view of what lies ahead, a common and understandable cognitive process. But you fail to incorporate into that vision of the future all that is new, and improved, and shiny, down AG, now.

Remember Brighton, who took six Championship seasons, and three play-off failures, before they went up (automatically). It is only a matter of time, and patience, and our time will surely follow...won't it?

45 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If we can't get past Shrewsbury then you'd have to be an optimist to think we'd get up through the play offs!

Having said that, I've always thought that teams that get into the play offs with a late run carry momentum with them into the knock out games. Hull were nowhere in the table until their late run when we met them in the play off final, and it was very similar for Villa last season, so whereas recent seasons have seen us dip out because of a drop in form late in the season, who knows how we'd do if we got into the play offs with a late run?

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Didn't it take him 6 years to get Sheffield Utd up and eventually managed with Tonge and Jags in the side?

He promoted QPR to the premier league as champions of the championship in his first full season as their manager and he promoted Cardiff to the premier league in his first full season as their manager - with our squad he’d have done it again ... 

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He promoted QPR to the premier league as champions of the championship in his first full season as their manager and he promoted Cardiff to the premier league in his first full season as their manager - with our squad he’d have done it again ... 

Big budget at QPR but tbh he did want many couldn't- firstly promotion WITH QPR and secondly getting the best out of Taarabt- not sure any other manager has done the latter tbh!

His football there was decent too, I give him credit.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not to mention the fact that what’s happened in the past under previous managers is completely irrelevant and has no bearing on what would happen the next time....

17 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That is the old, built-on-sand, brittle/Bristol City you are bringing to mind there, if you don't mind me saying.

Whereas now, we are the new-fangled, all singing and dancing, 21st century Bristol City: resilient, resourceful, built to last. With, like, proper scouts and blokes pouring over stats on computers, and shit. Plus drones.

You are using what you know about the past to inform your view of what lies ahead, a common and understandable cognitive process. But you fail to incorporate into that vision of the future all that is new, and improved, and shiny, down AG, now.

Remember Brighton, who took six Championship seasons, and three play-off failures, before they went up (automatically). It is only a matter of time, and patience, and our time will surely follow...won't it?

I remember Brighton all too well - poor City performance and a typically traumatic late Leon Knight penalty sealed the inevitable.

If you've seen all the City play off failures I have then your optimism it might all come good for us next time is truly commendable.

I can't share it, and actually would prefer not to have to go through such disappointment and anti climax once again.

As I said,  far better to do it automatically when the time is right.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I remember Brighton all too well - poor City performance and a typically traumatic late Leon Knight penalty sealed the inevitable.

If you've seen all the City play off failures I have then your optimism it might all come good for us next time is truly commendable.

I can't share it, and actually would prefer not to have to go through such disappointment and anti climax once again.

As I said,  far better to do it automatically when the time is right.

Don't remind me! Completely get where you're coming from on that Noggers. I just feel, though, that achieving a play off spot would add a bit more meaning to an otherwise odd, somewhat frustrating, transitional season.

I've heard for years that we'd be battered every week if we ever got promoted but I think a lot of the games between lesser Premier League teams are not much better than the Championship, and I'd like to think that with a few key additions we'd be competitive in a lot of games.  Of course, we are likely to lose to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, but 22 out of 38 games would be against fellow bottom 12 teams, and there would be plenty of points available in those games.

Archived