IGNORED

Very professional away performance

La Plage

Having just watched the highlights (lowlights) from yesterday, with LJ’s summary as “a very professional away performance”, it looked to me that if that was a top 6 side, we would have been 5 down by half time.

However, more interesting was the “Johnson players” who saved us yesterday.
Baker arguably not 1st choice, Dave who is constantly hearing that we’re bringing in someone better or a 20 year old kid on loan that obviously doesn’t want to come here (after 2 attempts) and a reject sent to Derby!! Then the undroppable AW who starts and finishes every game with little or no impact.

Probably 2 things mixed together but I thought it was encouraging how the “rejects or surplus players” took their opportunity when given and probably/arguably gave our leader a stay of execution with SL looking on.

It also occurred to me that it was three instances of bad luck that led to the win. First, Brownhill picks up a knock. Then, Semenyo gets injured. So Paterson becomes our key bench player.

Then Watkins supposedly picks up a knock, or maybe is just woeful in the first half. Either way, Johnson is forced to make a change and Pato becomes his best option.

Had Brownhill, Semenyo and Watkins been in better shape, Paterson might not have made it onto the pitch and we might be slipping down the table with low morale.

Edit: meant to say Semenyo got ill

1 hour ago, La Plage said:

Having just watched the highlights (lowlights) from yesterday, with LJ’s summary as “a very professional away performance”, it looked to me that if that was a top 6 side, we would have been 5 down by half time.

However, more interesting was the “Johnson players” who saved us yesterday.
Baker arguably not 1st choice, Dave who is constantly hearing that we’re bringing in someone better or a 20 year old kid on loan that obviously doesn’t want to come here (after 2 attempts) and a reject sent to Derby!! Then the undroppable AW who starts and finishes every game with little or no impact.

Probably 2 things mixed together but I thought it was encouraging how the “rejects or surplus players” took their opportunity when given and probably/arguably gave our leader a stay of execution with SL looking on.

You can only play against what’s put in front of you, it was our turn to play Wigan, we don’t play against the likes of Leeds, WBA & Brentford every week, that’s the joy of a league set-up.

Also, it wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that we might be bringing in a new striker or two to add competition to the position & I’d hope that anyone who thought there position in the team was under threat, would want to show the manager what they are all about.

Yes, we’ve not been in the best of form recently but we’ve won away against a team that beat us at home not so long ago, we’re still hoping to improve the squad & we’re a point outside the play-offs! And yet it’s still not good enough for you!! You do realise who you supposedly support right? We’re not historically known as trophy winners or a top division team (like a Man Utd) that is suddenly going through a tough time, we are in our best position for 10 years or so (as the season goes) & yet you still seem to think that LJ’s position is under threat?!? Do you think that LJ was instructed that by January we needed to be top of the table by 20 points or he’d be out on his ear? Because I think you’ll be bitterly disappointed!

44 minutes ago, mozo said:

It also occurred to me that it was three instances of bad luck that led to the win. First, Brownhill picks up a knock. Then, Semenyo gets injured. So Paterson becomes our key bench player.

Then Watkins supposedly picks up a knock, or maybe is just woeful in the first half. Either way, Johnson is forced to make a change and Pato becomes his best option.

Had Brownhill, Semenyo and Watkins been in better shape, Paterson might not have made it onto the pitch and we might be slipping down the table with low morale.

Or maybe Brownhill would have been outstanding, or Semenyo would have come on and scored . You just dont know, its pointless if's and but's.

39 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

You can only play against what’s put in front of you, it was our turn to play Wigan, we don’t play against the likes of Leeds, WBA & Brentford every week, that’s the joy of a league set-up.

Also, it wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that we might be bringing in a new striker or two to add competition to the position & I’d hope that anyone who thought there position in the team was under threat, would want to show the manager what they are all about.

Yes, we’ve not been in the best of form recently but we’ve won away against a team that beat us at home not so long ago, we’re still hoping to improve the squad & we’re a point outside the play-offs! And yet it’s still not good enough for you!! You do realise who you supposedly support right? We’re not historically known as trophy winners or a top division team (like a Man Utd) that is suddenly going through a tough time, we are in our best position for 10 years or so (as the season goes) & yet you still seem to think that LJ’s position is under threat?!? Do you think that LJ was instructed that by January we needed to be top of the table by 20 points or he’d be out on his ear? Because I think you’ll be bitterly disappointed!

Sorry Lee didn’t mean to upset you

1 hour ago, mozo said:

A couple of things:

- Brownhill: a knock or off to Burnley?

- Watkins: in fairness to LJ he admitted it was a knock rather than inspired change 

Archived