IGNORED

Talisman

harvey54

Watching Troy Deeney for Watford and seeing him described as 'talismanic' I was wondering who the last City player was fitting this description? 

Tinnion? Scotty? Not had a leader on the pitch for a very long time. Not had a goalscorer who stayed with us for the long haul for ages also. 

Could do with someone soon imho

4 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Watching Troy Deeney for Watford and seeing him described as 'talismanic' I was wondering who the last City player was fitting this description? 

Tinnion? Scotty? Not had a leader on the pitch for a very long time. Not had a goalscorer who stayed with us for the long haul for ages also. 

Could do with someone soon imho

Wilbs for sure.

Talismanic is a big label and is certainly being overused here.

In my time (from 1968, post Atyeo) probably only Norman Hunter, Gow, Bob Taylor, Tinnion and Flint.

Other players have not achieved enough with us or had enough charisma. Andy Cole - brilliant but not for long. Dziekanowski - brilliant very occasionally. Scott Murray - close, and more so now than as a player. Rob Newman came close. Tommy Doherty and Hartley - nowhere near.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Wade Elliott.

That game where he ballsed up to give the oppo a goal, and then went and righted his own wrong. Top, top leader was Wade.

Agreed he wasn't with us long, so doesn't really count as a talisman.

Imho, he was the player Cotts failed to replace upon promotion.  Even though Pack had taken his minutes in the second half on 14/15, Korey played through injuries, and Wade just took the sting out of games.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Can't believe people think Flint was.

Does my nut in when the likes of Flint and Orr give it the big one on the pitch and others show it in actions in their actual playing and get unnoticed.

Flint most  definitely was Spud , like it or not .

There was a buzz about the lad , his colossal frame and courage seemed to signal that we weren’t going to be bullied by anyone . 

Add into that his goals and his humanity there you have a talisman.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Does my nut in when the likes of Flint and Orr give it the big one on the pitch and others show it in actions in their actual playing and get unnoticed.

I suppose it depends how long you have been following City? I have not been lucky enough to seen some City greats and only got the tail end of Tinnion whom I have heard many on here adore as a player. I think it these days players stay with teams a lot less longer , so maybe there are less actual "Talisman's" so people like Flint are the nearest thing they have to them. 

I think of my era I would Called Basso(even though it ended sour),Carey,Flint and Marv as ones even though they might not have been the most talented... but these guys  in their peak pushed the team into wins or hard fought draws when others had given or not appeared to have the same mental strength. 

12 hours ago, Leveller said:

Talismanic is a big label and is certainly being overused here.

In my time (from 1968, post Atyeo) probably only Norman Hunter, Gow, Bob Taylor, Tinnion and Flint.

Other players have not achieved enough with us or had enough charisma. Andy Cole - brilliant but not for long. Dziekanowski - brilliant very occasionally. Scott Murray - close, and more so now than as a player. Rob Newman came close. Tommy Doherty and Hartley - nowhere near.

(Sir) Geoff Merrick surely...

11 hours ago, spudski said:

You dont think flint inspired the others around him? He wasn't the most talented player but certainly put his body on the line, rarely gave up and scored some important goals (was our highest scorer of the last decade.....).

Speaking to away fans at the time, many named him as the player the would want to sign from us.

15 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Wade Elliott.

That game where he ballsed up to give the oppo a goal, and then went and righted his own wrong. Top, top leader was Wade.

Agreed he wasn't with us long, so doesn't really count as a talisman.

Met him the other week up here. Really nice bloke and spoke highly of his time here. 

I would argue that when he arrived on loan he quickly became our talisman in keeping us up that year.

When I watched in div 1 it was Gerry Gow and Clive Whitehead.

Going thru to div 4 no one! Although the young ones who played against Fulham deserve a mention especially Rob Newman

Div 4 Tom Ritchie and Glyn Riley

Div3 under Tc Alan Walsh/ Bobby Hutch and Glyn again also Joe Jordan when he signed.

Div 3 under JJ bob bob super bob.

2nd tier we didn’t have one until the polish Messi came along?❤️ (My youngest boy is called jack)

From 1995 - 2005 it was Brian ( not the monty python one) and Scotty

under gj it was basso

Barren tumbleweed yrs but Jon stead did well

under cots  take your pick- the whole squad basically!

Under super lee- struggling a bit but I do like Josh B but for how much longer

coyr and ctid

Archived