IGNORED

How about Howe ?

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Give it a rest. How about supporting the manager we have, the manager that has us 1 point behind the playoffs.

Also, why on god's earth would Eddie Howe come here? Just think about it. 

Why are our fans suddenly so entitled? Listen to yourselves. It's embarrassing.

We’re the biggest club in the country never to have played Premier League football.

Bristol is the 11th biggest city in the country.

We have a fantastic modern stadium with 27,000 seats.

We have a fan base capable of taking 45,000 people to London for a game against Walsall.

We have seen the likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool, Burnley, Wigan, Swansea, Reading and even Swindon Town surpass us to enjoy Premier League football - all smaller clubs from smaller towns with smaller crowds.

Is it “entitlement” to not be satisfied with being 1 point off the play offs given all of the above? Or is it just frustration with years of being the bridesmaid and never the bride? On current form that looks likely to continue, and I don’t see anything wrong with aspiring to recruit a manager like Howe.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I suspect some on here will strongly disagree with me but I am not convinced Dean Smith’s record prior to Villa is much different to Johnson’s.

He got some decent results at an unfancied League One club without threatening to get them promoted and then got a job at an unfancied Championship club and tended to shape towards promotion mid-season only to fall short of the play-offs.

He then obviously got the Villa job and got one of the most well resourced teams in the division with probably the strongest squad in the division promoted, which was impressive given where they were when he took over but less so given what he had to work with.

And the reality is we are not one of the most well resourced teams in the division and we do not have the strongest squad in the division so the job he did here would likely be more comparable to the jobs he did at Walsall and Brentford.

I am not having a go at him - he is a very decent manager - but, whilst we might play better football under him than LJ, I see nothing in his time at comparable clubs that suggests our results would be significantly different.

Couldn’t agree more.  Decent manager, but there is the balance of playing good football and keeping them out when you aren’t blessed with the best squad in the division.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Decent manager, but there is the balance of playing good football and keeping them out when you aren’t blessed with the best squad in the division.

Notable to see how much Brentford have improved in that respect under Frank.

21 goals in 27...best in the division, Smith's ability on that front was miles off. Best in the division that 21 in 27 they said on Quest.

They had a tough 10-15 games under him last season, possibly transitional, possibly injuries- possibly just who knows, maybe first job as a manager at this level played a part- but building his own side a bit more, well big difference.

When Nigel Pearson falls out of favour at Watford, I would bring him to City in a heartbeat.

What a turnaround at Watford. He's the type of manager we need to get the best out of this squad.

Admittedly we'd be looking for another manger fairly soon but before he throws his toys out of the pram we might actually play with an identity.

And yes, I know I'm going to get pelters for this ?

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Plus, as GrahamC would surely say if he were here with us now, Eddie's forwards fall over in the box every game and are awarded penalties, which they then proceed to tuck away into the corner, and we wouldn't want that sort of thing at AG now would we? (I'd imagine Eddie doesn't want for "box entries," though, thinking about it)

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh no. GrahamC hasn’t passed away has he?

Keep up... He f * * *ed off to Mansfield a couple of weeks ago! 

6 minutes ago, Xiled said:

When Nigel Pearson falls out of favour at Watford, I would bring him to City in a heartbeat.

What a turnaround at Watford. He's the type of manager we need to get the best out of this squad.

Admittedly we'd be looking for another manger fairly soon but before he throws his toys out of the pram we might actually play with an identity.

He spoke very complimentary things about City on Radio 5 at the time we were looking for a new manager, and he was out of work. I got the feeling he was interested but don't know if he applied.

With Howe it'll be interesting to see how he does at another club if and when he leaves Bournemouth. His time at Burnley didn't go well and he very much has things his own way at Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, fgrsimon said:

He spoke very complimentary things about City on Radio 5 at the time we were looking for a new manager, and he was out of work. I got the feeling he was interested but don't know if he applied.

With Howe it'll be interesting to see how he does at another club if and when he leaves Bournemouth. His time at Burnley didn't go well and he very much has things his own way at Bournemouth.

His time at Burnley went decently enough. He didn’t get them promoted but he laid the foundations for their success under Dyche.

His reason for leaving Burnley and returning to Bournemouth was wholly personal (I think it may have been that his mother died and he wanted to be closer to the rest of his family).  But I remember distinctly it was very much his decision and, whilst Burnley reluctantly understood, they were keen to keep him.

20 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I think Pearson is a bit too much of a risk. He does a good job at clubs that are the right fit for him but has struggled in other jobs. I rate him as a manager obviously but am not convinced we would suit him or vice versa.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still alive and kicking on Twitter....and usual valued debate.

agreed...Graham is always good value, never short of an opinion, as those of us who sit with him in the Dolman are well aware! 

Great loss to this forum imho.

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I'm sure 99% of real City fans who go to games agree with Badger 08 but this forum is for 'all sorts' including people who do fantasy football etc. It also attracts people who only get thrills from being cricital of our players, fans, manager etc so i strongly suggest Badger takes a chill pill and does what 18000, 19,000 whatever City fans do and just walk away from OTiB, leaving it to those other groups mentioned.

Oh by the way I'd like Howe, Hughton, Klopp and all of them to come to Ashton Gate - we want all the fans we can get!

Yeah, yeah, never mind all that crud, mate. What's your view on GrahamC - keep him banned from on here, or let him back on?

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Give it a rest. How about supporting the manager we have, the manager that has us 1 point behind the playoffs.

Also, why on god's earth would Eddie Howe come here? Just think about it. 

Why are our fans suddenly so entitled? Listen to yourselves. It's embarrassing.

I don’t think our fans have “suddenly” become so entitled - it’s a long-standing thing - no Manager seems good enough for us, so many who have been mentioned in the past are instantly put down on here as not being good enough for Bristol City - eg Chris Wilder, Nigel Pearson, Steve Bruce, Neil Warnock, Chris Hughton, Sam Allardyce, Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew, Harry Redknapp, Garry Monk, Gary Rowett, etc etc.

And now many are clamouring for Chris Hughton from the list above?! I put forward the case on here for nabbing him when he was between Newcastle and Birmingham - but no, the wise ones told me he wasn’t good enough ... we had a chance back then, but not now, he’ll be looking upwards ...

It’s hilarious how so many successful, stalwarts of our game are just not good enough for many Bristol City fans - yet now, and in the very recent past, there is talk on here of people like Howe, Hughton, Moyes - why on earth do we think seasoned premier league managers would look at us right now?

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This looks like it could be the season when the Bournemouth dream dies .

Just simply does anyone think that Eddie Howe could be attracted to Ashton Gate in the summer ? 

He would seem like the ideal candidate to take us to the next level.

Evidently he would have quite a few clubs after his services but I really think that we could be a good fit for him .

We have more potential than Bournemouth.

1) Has Howe been sacked?

2). Is there a vacancy at AG?

46 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Seen a headline tonight that Howe will reflect on his position at Bournemouth. If that’s true, that’s one way of saying I’ve taken this club as far as I can at this moment in time.

I like Howe, but I do think he’s over rated by far.

You wouldn't be at all surprised if he walked. 9 defeats in 11 is time for concern. Looked lost in his interview after the game.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

1) Not yet

2) Not yet 

So we don’t discuss or plan for the future ? 

If/when LJ leaves City and if/when Howe leaves B’muff around the same time then I agree that Howe would be a good candidate for the City vacancy.

That said Howe is 100% thru and thru B’muff and evening if they relegated I seriously doubt he’d lose his job.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

If/when LJ leaves City and if/when Howe leaves B’muff around the same time then I agree that Howe would be a good candidate for the City vacancy.

That said Howe is 100% thru and thru B’muff and evening if they relegated I seriously doubt he’d lose his job.

LJ is 100% through and through City .If he thought he couldn’t do the club justice any longer he would , most likely, quit.

Archived