Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Major Isewater

How about Howe ?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Vincent Vega said:

Not sure if you're being deliberately naive or not . You do realise you could spend say 1 million on a transfer fee but pay say 90k a week in wages  ?

I'm having fun 😉

  • Flames 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

1 point off the playoffs. Embarrassing comment

4 years of crap football , long losing streaks ,

no play off campaign in 4 years ! 
 

If your happy with progress being judged on finishing 1 place higher every year  Or scoring a goal more than last season  your the type of fan who the club love , take your money , believe the spin , put up with crap football , 

but hey , small margins......

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

4 years of crap football , long losing streaks ,

no play off campaign in 4 years ! 
 

If your happy with progress being judged on finishing 1 place higher every year  Or scoring a goal more than last season  your the type of fan who the club love , take your money , believe the spin , put up with crap football , 

but hey , small margins......

 

 

 

Listen to yourself, how entitled do you sound. When he took over we were heading down, improves us year on year after selling our best players year after year. Do we always play the best football? No but it’s a results business. If you want to win every week with 80% possession and 20 odd shots on target go support Liverpool or Manchester City they might be more your cup of tea x

  • Like 3
  • Aubergine 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Be like Pato returning from Derby

But @GrahamC will have decent content in everyone one of his comments. Not one in ten. And GrahamC is wanted. He isn’t just a desperation move. So nothing like it really! 😉 

  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, GrahamC, on here. He was on here, now he is not. 

Right. You could have put it better as I thought the poor guy passed away...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect some on here will strongly disagree with me but I am not convinced Dean Smith’s record prior to Villa is much different to Johnson’s.

He got some decent results at an unfancied League One club without threatening to get them promoted and then got a job at an unfancied Championship club and tended to shape towards promotion mid-season only to fall short of the play-offs.

He then obviously got the Villa job and got one of the most well resourced teams in the division with probably the strongest squad in the division promoted, which was impressive given where they were when he took over but less so given what he had to work with.

And the reality is we are not one of the most well resourced teams in the division and we do not have the strongest squad in the division so the job he did here would likely be more comparable to the jobs he did at Walsall and Brentford.

I am not having a go at him - he is a very decent manager - but, whilst we might play better football under him than LJ, I see nothing in his time at comparable clubs that suggests our results would be significantly different.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Give it a rest. How about supporting the manager we have, the manager that has us 1 point behind the playoffs.

Also, why on god's earth would Eddie Howe come here? Just think about it. 

Why are our fans suddenly so entitled? Listen to yourselves. It's embarrassing.

We’re the biggest club in the country never to have played Premier League football.

Bristol is the 11th biggest city in the country.

We have a fantastic modern stadium with 27,000 seats.

We have a fan base capable of taking 45,000 people to London for a game against Walsall.

We have seen the likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool, Burnley, Wigan, Swansea, Reading and even Swindon Town surpass us to enjoy Premier League football - all smaller clubs from smaller towns with smaller crowds.

Is it “entitlement” to not be satisfied with being 1 point off the play offs given all of the above? Or is it just frustration with years of being the bridesmaid and never the bride? On current form that looks likely to continue, and I don’t see anything wrong with aspiring to recruit a manager like Howe.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I suspect some on here will strongly disagree with me but I am not convinced Dean Smith’s record prior to Villa is much different to Johnson’s.

He got some decent results at an unfancied League One club without threatening to get them promoted and then got a job at an unfancied Championship club and tended to shape towards promotion mid-season only to fall short of the play-offs.

He then obviously got the Villa job and got one of the most well resourced teams in the division with probably the strongest squad in the division promoted, which was impressive given where they were when he took over but less so given what he had to work with.

And the reality is we are not one of the most well resourced teams in the division and we do not have the strongest squad in the division so the job he did here would likely be more comparable to the jobs he did at Walsall and Brentford.

I am not having a go at him - he is a very decent manager - but, whilst we might play better football under him than LJ, I see nothing in his time at comparable clubs that suggests our results would be significantly different.

Couldn’t agree more.  Decent manager, but there is the balance of playing good football and keeping them out when you aren’t blessed with the best squad in the division.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Decent manager, but there is the balance of playing good football and keeping them out when you aren’t blessed with the best squad in the division.

Notable to see how much Brentford have improved in that respect under Frank.

21 goals in 27...best in the division, Smith's ability on that front was miles off. Best in the division that 21 in 27 they said on Quest.

They had a tough 10-15 games under him last season, possibly transitional, possibly injuries- possibly just who knows, maybe first job as a manager at this level played a part- but building his own side a bit more, well big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Nigel Pearson falls out of favour at Watford, I would bring him to City in a heartbeat.

What a turnaround at Watford. He's the type of manager we need to get the best out of this squad.

Admittedly we'd be looking for another manger fairly soon but before he throws his toys out of the pram we might actually play with an identity.

And yes, I know I'm going to get pelters for this 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Plus, as GrahamC would surely say if he were here with us now, Eddie's forwards fall over in the box every game and are awarded penalties, which they then proceed to tuck away into the corner, and we wouldn't want that sort of thing at AG now would we? (I'd imagine Eddie doesn't want for "box entries," though, thinking about it)

 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh no. GrahamC hasn’t passed away has he?

 

Keep up... He f * * *ed off to Mansfield a couple of weeks ago! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xiled said:

When Nigel Pearson falls out of favour at Watford, I would bring him to City in a heartbeat.

What a turnaround at Watford. He's the type of manager we need to get the best out of this squad.

Admittedly we'd be looking for another manger fairly soon but before he throws his toys out of the pram we might actually play with an identity.

And yes, I know I'm going to get pelters for this 😁

He spoke very complimentary things about City on Radio 5 at the time we were looking for a new manager, and he was out of work. I got the feeling he was interested but don't know if he applied.

With Howe it'll be interesting to see how he does at another club if and when he leaves Bournemouth. His time at Burnley didn't go well and he very much has things his own way at Bournemouth.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't so long ago I thought Howe would be up for a bigger Prem job and Lee would be looked at by Bournemouth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fgrsimon said:

He spoke very complimentary things about City on Radio 5 at the time we were looking for a new manager, and he was out of work. I got the feeling he was interested but don't know if he applied.

With Howe it'll be interesting to see how he does at another club if and when he leaves Bournemouth. His time at Burnley didn't go well and he very much has things his own way at Bournemouth.

His time at Burnley went decently enough. He didn’t get them promoted but he laid the foundations for their success under Dyche.

His reason for leaving Burnley and returning to Bournemouth was wholly personal (I think it may have been that his mother died and he wanted to be closer to the rest of his family).  But I remember distinctly it was very much his decision and, whilst Burnley reluctantly understood, they were keen to keep him.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Xiled said:

When Nigel Pearson falls out of favour at Watford, I would bring him to City in a heartbeat.

What a turnaround at Watford. He's the type of manager we need to get the best out of this squad.

Admittedly we'd be looking for another manger fairly soon but before he throws his toys out of the pram we might actually play with an identity.

And yes, I know I'm going to get pelters for this 😁

I think Pearson is a bit too much of a risk. He does a good job at clubs that are the right fit for him but has struggled in other jobs. I rate him as a manager obviously but am not convinced we would suit him or vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s pretty obvious what the thread is about. So why bother coming on here?

Not self entitled. Just bored of rubbish football. 

Well said 👏👏👏👏👏👏

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still alive and kicking on Twitter....and usual valued debate.

agreed...Graham is always good value, never short of an opinion, as those of us who sit with him in the Dolman are well aware! 

Great loss to this forum imho.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gazza1982 said:

Could also chuck Pochettino in the mix as he recently said he’s open to offers? 

Howe isn’t just some name thrown into the mix there are  good reasons why City could be a good fit for him and vice versa. 
 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I'm sure 99% of real City fans who go to games agree with Badger 08 but this forum is for 'all sorts' including people who do fantasy football etc. It also attracts people who only get thrills from being cricital of our players, fans, manager etc so i strongly suggest Badger takes a chill pill and does what 18000, 19,000 whatever City fans do and just walk away from OTiB, leaving it to those other groups mentioned.

Oh by the way I'd like Howe, Hughton, Klopp and all of them to come to Ashton Gate - we want all the fans we can get!

Yeah, yeah, never mind all that crud, mate. What's your view on GrahamC - keep him banned from on here, or let him back on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen a headline tonight that Howe will reflect on his position at Bournemouth. If that’s true, that’s one way of saying I’ve taken this club as far as I can at this moment in time.

I like Howe, but I do think he’s over rated by far.

Edited by Redpool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Seen a headline tonight that Howe will reflect on his position at Bournemouth. If that’s true, that’s one way of saying I’ve taken this club as far as I can at this moment in time.

I like Howe, but I do think he’s over rated by far.

He’s obviously read this thread .

:yes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Give it a rest. How about supporting the manager we have, the manager that has us 1 point behind the playoffs.

Also, why on god's earth would Eddie Howe come here? Just think about it. 

Why are our fans suddenly so entitled? Listen to yourselves. It's embarrassing.

I don’t think our fans have “suddenly” become so entitled - it’s a long-standing thing - no Manager seems good enough for us, so many who have been mentioned in the past are instantly put down on here as not being good enough for Bristol City - eg Chris Wilder, Nigel Pearson, Steve Bruce, Neil Warnock, Chris Hughton, Sam Allardyce, Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew, Harry Redknapp, Garry Monk, Gary Rowett, etc etc.

And now many are clamouring for Chris Hughton from the list above?! I put forward the case on here for nabbing him when he was between Newcastle and Birmingham - but no, the wise ones told me he wasn’t good enough ... we had a chance back then, but not now, he’ll be looking upwards ...

It’s hilarious how so many successful, stalwarts of our game are just not good enough for many Bristol City fans - yet now, and in the very recent past, there is talk on here of people like Howe, Hughton, Moyes - why on earth do we think seasoned premier league managers would look at us right now?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This looks like it could be the season when the Bournemouth dream dies .

Just simply does anyone think that Eddie Howe could be attracted to Ashton Gate in the summer ? 
 

He would seem like the ideal candidate to take us to the next level.

Evidently he would have quite a few clubs after his services but I really think that we could be a good fit for him .

We have more potential than Bournemouth.

 

1) Has Howe been sacked?

2). Is there a vacancy at AG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Seen a headline tonight that Howe will reflect on his position at Bournemouth. If that’s true, that’s one way of saying I’ve taken this club as far as I can at this moment in time.

I like Howe, but I do think he’s over rated by far.

You wouldn't be at all surprised if he walked. 9 defeats in 11 is time for concern. Looked lost in his interview after the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

1) Not yet

2) Not yet 

So we don’t discuss or plan for the future ? 
 

If/when LJ leaves City and if/when Howe leaves B’muff around the same time then I agree that Howe would be a good candidate for the City vacancy.

That said Howe is 100% thru and thru B’muff and evening if they relegated I seriously doubt he’d lose his job.

Edited by Robbored

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

1 point off the playoffs. Embarrassing comment

Howe and Houghton vastly superior to Johnson though or do you disagree? 

Academic anyway Neither would consider us and Lansdown would never dismiss his appointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robbored said:

If/when LJ leaves City and if/when Howe leaves B’muff around the same time then I agree that Howe would be a good candidate for the City vacancy.

That said Howe is 100% thru and thru B’muff and evening if they relegated I seriously doubt he’d lose his job.

LJ is 100% through and through City .If he thought he couldn’t do the club justice any longer he would , most likely, quit.

 

Edited by Major Isewater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Howe isn’t just some name thrown into the mix there are  good reasons why City could be a good fit for him and vice versa. 
 

 

The same Howe who a few ago was heavily linked with Everton and Arsenal? I admire your optimism but I find the suggestion laughable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This looks like it could be the season when the Bournemouth dream dies .

Just simply does anyone think that Eddie Howe could be attracted to Ashton Gate in the summer ? 
 

He would seem like the ideal candidate to take us to the next level.

Evidently he would have quite a few clubs after his services but I really think that we could be a good fit for him .

We have more potential than Bournemouth.

 

I think he’d struggle having to comply with FPP at this level.

Bournemouth couldn’t get up without breaching it last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, gazza1982 said:

The same Howe who a few ago was heavily linked with Everton and Arsenal? I admire your optimism but I find the suggestion laughable. 

Time has moved on . If SL is really committed to moving City up to the Prem with a young talented coach who has experience of promotion from the Championship and kept an unfashionable club in the top flight playing decent football there are very few candidates.

Equally for Howe , we are close to Bournemouth and we have a great environment for someone like him to shine in.

Optimist ? 
 

Why not . 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xiled said:

When Nigel Pearson falls out of favour at Watford, I would bring him to City in a heartbeat.

What a turnaround at Watford. He's the type of manager we need to get the best out of this squad.

Admittedly we'd be looking for another manger fairly soon but before he throws his toys out of the pram we might actually play with an identity.

And yes, I know I'm going to get pelters for this 😁

And I can understand his post-match interviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m going to try & coax him back. 

Good idea.

I miss GrahamC terribly (he used to occasionally 'like' one of my posts!)

If you succeed he could return as GrahamCoaxed?

Or GrahamComeback? (I particularly like this one)

While you're at it have a go at Esmond, WTFiGO! & BobBobSuperBob, all equally inexplicable long term OTIB abstainers.

.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...