IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I thought I read the women's games would be played at our new training ground when built, as well as u23 games, may have completely made that up. 

That is 100% correct 

U23s are currently played at Weston as the training ground doesn't meet the criteria for holding these games and for obvious reasons don't want to play at Ashton Gate. 

The women will move over too when that complex is finished. 

Last night was only played at Ashton Gate as it was an FA Cup game and wanted to raise the profile of the game, on the basis the attendance was more than double the normal women's attendance I would say it was a justified decision. 

The odd thing about this tie was the fact that it was played on a Monday night and not the usual Sunday afternoon I would have thought it would have appealed to a wider audience being played in the normal time slot, Everton travelled down on Sunday so would assume we made the call for the kick off time. 

As for FFP in the women's game we've just signed an Australian international from Sydney and a South Korean international, those two aren't going to be relocating to the other side of the world for peanuts.

A real shame as short of a real upturn in results they are going to be relegated and the quality in the league below is greatly increased so unlike previously gaining promotion is not going to be easy. 

Agreed that last night's WFA Cup game was a nasty beating, especially considering that the girls have not been on the end of such a big scoreline against Everton. In fact of the only two defeats in the past few seasons one was also in the Cup. It will be a really difficult run-in to this season if the girls are to keep their place in the top division. Realistically it will depend on Liverpool failing to get much at all from now on.

6 hours ago, phantom said:

the quality in the league below is greatly increased so unlike previously gaining promotion is not going to be easy

Very true!

With regards FFP, I understand that the regulations (are you watching Man City?) only apply to the men's senior teams - not the Unders or the Women's teams, etc. I don't know what rules apply in these areas, but I suspect they are not as strict.

Naturally, a bespoke ground  to play in is the goal of any top class club, negating the need to hire out other clubs' grounds. Man City have their set-up and the girls play at that. Hopefully the Women will have a home to be proud of and inspire them to greater achievements.

Great result for the girls! New Aussie international Chloe Logarzo must have had a positive impact, although it's Eb Salmon who came on to score the only goal.  :clap:Sounded like a good even battle now that a few injured players have returned.

Massive for the club as we go above Birmingham (and it's about beating the teams about you, right?), but they have a game in hand. It's good news coupled with Liverpool's defeat at West Ham means the Robins are two off the bottom. It looks like one from these three that will drop into the lower division, unless Brighton are dragged into the mire. Importantly, the remaining fixtures bring up just one game against the bottom teams (Brighton away). Tan Oxtoby seemed unexpectedly confident in the light of recent defeats but maybe she does have the ability to keep this side up. :fingerscrossed:

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Massive win for the girls today. Now third from bottom 

Yes, saw the result and goal earlier

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Precise run and finish from Ebony Salmon, got herself across the last defender from a through ball and good composure to score.

She’s got some pace....seen her a few times in highlights.

• Admin
2 hours ago, hodge said:

I'm guessing no relegation so they don't lose Liverpool....

Still to be decided but I'd better the outcome would have been different if someone else was bottom. 

They will magically find a way to get Villa women promoted too I expect 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Still to be decided but I'd better the outcome would have been different if someone else was bottom. 

They will magically find a way to get Villa women promoted too I expect 

Seems to be the thinking.  Will have 13 clubs not 12 next season..

The WSL is something of an invitation league in that there are several specific aspects a club must satisfy before they are permitted to the top table (ground, contracts, hours player train, etc.). The obvious push is to procure as good a standard of women's football as possible (and the national teams therefrom). So given a normal season, the teams looking to end up in WSL are not necessarily the ones who top the Championship table anyway. I suspect that the powers are having to reread the rules and may have some room for manoeuvre regarding the promotion/relegation issues. Politics might just play a part in that. We'll see.

Shame that the women's season is now in the history books as an incomplete one, but it does allow the clubs to start afresh in their preparations. It may also give a useful demarkation for contracts. The fact that the women's game is nowhere near as reliant on media exposure/money is perhaps a blessing in that respect. Let's hope the new season starts on time and has a clear run.

Graham Souness declaring  today that the Women's league MUST have Liverpool in it because hey are a big club and give glamour to that league.

Someone else argued that if any other club was bottom of the league they would be relegated, so it's only right that with the season stopped now Liverpool are relegated.

Hmm, sounds the sort of comment that would chime in the halls of power. With the red carpet rolled out for Man Utd's newly reformed team in recent years, it would not surprise me if that turns out to be a big factor in shaping the next season. I would also agree that if we had (and were for much of the season, don't forget) at the bottom of the WSL then we would almost certainly be relegated on an incomplete set of results. Will Liverpool go? One big criticism of the WSL is that it is not a meritocracy.

• Like 1

Chelsea WSL champions, Liverpool relegated and Villa promoted

Female pundit on SSN saying 'perhaps the mens team will now invest in the ladies team to get them back to where they should be'.... why should the mens team be funding the ladies team? Surely thats a situation we want to avoid? Inflating ladies football finances where there's not the sustainability in their own finances 

• Like 4

I imagine that the awarding of silverware has been forced so that the teams for next season's European competitions and the like can be arranged. Not having a winner would have been difficult to administer. To be awarded the league title on an incomplete set of results must somewhat devalue the feeling perhaps, but an acknowledgement nonetheless. It delivers finality.

Yes, to see Liverpool drop is a shock - considering their monopoly of trophies in the recent past. Again, it must be strange to be cast down on an incomplete set of results (much to our relief!). I bet Vicky Jepson is fuming.

• The title was changed to All things Bristol City Women
  • Admin
On 18/02/2020 at 08:46, Roe said:

Yeah, they'll play mainly at the new training ground soon

Just been announced that Twerton Park will be their new home ground with occasional games held at Ashton Gate

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/everything-you-need-to-know-twerton-park/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/new-home-for-city-women/

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just been announced that Twerton Park will be their new home ground with occasional games held at Ashton Gate

Let's hope they set the place alight...

(Not literally of course) ?

• Haha 1

Hmm, Twerton Park. That name rings a bell, and a memory of Ronnie Sinclair desperately sprawling on the ground. Hope that is not an omen. Wonder why the SGS campus is being ditched, as it was a good playing surface and the facilities were upgraded a couple of years ago. Maybe the charging for car parking became a big problem when it came in, or perhaps the use of the Arriva car park has been withdrawn. Interestingly, the site encourages on-street parking around the ground. I assume the girls will continue to play on Sundays primarily and won't clash with Bath.

Either way, it will be a shame not to be there any more as there are plenty of great memories from it - must be well over a decade's worth now!

Still, it does open up a fresh 'market' and maybe a spur for greater achievement. Could it be the springboard for glory?  :fingerscrossed:

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Training ground isn't done yet though is it?  I imagine they'll still move there once it's complete

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Hmm, Twerton Park. That name rings a bell, and a memory of Ronnie Sinclair desperately sprawling on the ground. Hope that is not an omen. Wonder why the SGS campus is being ditched, as it was a good playing surface and the facilities were upgraded a couple of years ago. Maybe the charging for car parking became a big problem when it came in, or perhaps the use of the Arriva car park has been withdrawn. Interestingly, the site encourages on-street parking around the ground. I assume the girls will continue to play on Sundays primarily and won't clash with Bath.

Either way, it will be a shame not to be there any more as there are plenty of great memories from it - must be well over a decade's worth now!

Still, it does open up a fresh 'market' and maybe a spur for greater achievement. Could it be the springboard for glory?  :fingerscrossed:

It's a shame because I'd like to go and watch them, but that depends on Covid factors too.