IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You mean other than playing in the top division which allows them to pay the players as they do, drop down a league and you’ll have to lose a fair chunk and therefore no guarantee of going up again and being stuck down there, meantime losing out on any money they could get from being top division as it’ll trickle down a lot less in the women’s game while the top division starts to bring in more.

What's the point of playing in the top division and losing 9-0!

Surely it's more about the game, winning, building a strong team that can compete in the future.

I genuinely can't understand why anyone would think it's better to be humiliated every week to earn a few quid, rather than go down and then earn a promotion

What sort of players are we likely to attract when we are getting humiliated 9-0.

Sorry, but the money needs to take second place. It's about building a strong team and a winning mentality. If that means going down and building again, so be it

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

What's the point of playing in the top division and losing 9-0!

Surely it's more about the game, winning, building a strong team that can compete in the future.

I genuinely can't understand why anyone would think it's better to be humiliated every week to earn a few quid, rather than go down and then earn a promotion

What sort of players are we likely to attract when we are getting humiliated 9-0.

Sorry, but the money needs to take second place. It's about building a strong team and a winning mentality. If that means going down and building again, so be it

IF, IF you can earn promotion back, as said you'll lose a lot of your players as the 2nd division for womens football is largely part-time and the finances involved could mean City's women having to drop back to part-time, so you ask what's at stake its keeping a fully professional women's team in the first place. What do you think recruitment would be like dropping down to the 2nd tier? At least being in the top division means they can recruit players being a professional club. 

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

IF, IF you can earn promotion back, as said you'll lose a lot of your players as the 2nd division for womens football is largely part-time and the finances involved could mean City's women having to drop back to part-time, so you ask what's at stake its keeping a fully professional women's team in the first place. What do you think recruitment would be like dropping down to the 2nd tier? At least being in the top division means they can recruit players being a professional club. 

Have we a development strategy in place for the Women? Not much point in trying to compete if we haven’t if it ends up constantly with our name being a laughing stock. 

We seem to be going backwards  - not just by virtue of falling behind the elite who are chucking money at it - the standard of football was abysmal from us in those ‘highlights’. 

Back to friggin Junior School under 10’s goalkeeping and the defence was all at sea. I thought the Woman’s game was supposed to be getting better. 

Just now, The Humble Realist said:

Still nothing on the website ?

Actually embarrassing 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/report-chelsea-women-9-0-bristol-city-women/?

Correction...if you go to the womens fixtures its listed there.

Can you imagine if the mens team lost 9 0 and the site just pretended it never happend. 

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/report-chelsea-women-9-0-bristol-city-women/?

Correction...if you go to the womens fixtures its listed there.

Can you imagine if the mens team lost 9 0 and the site just pretended it never happend. 

Weird, I thought people wanted it tucked away without drawing attention to it and detracting from the mens news?

It was pointed out on the highlights show that these games against the elite teams 'will not define our season'. When we have played the likes of Brighton, Spurs and Villa we will see how level the playing fields are. A veritable mini-league. Sadly, the days when we could compete with anyone are gone, so we must focus on the important matches.

10 hours ago, Erithacus said:

It was pointed out on the highlights show that these games against the elite teams 'will not define our season'. When we have played the likes of Brighton, Spurs and Villa we will see how level the playing fields are. A veritable mini-league. Sadly, the days when we could compete with anyone are gone, so we must focus on the important matches.

Even Spurs have signed the one who scored the goal for USA that knocked England out of the World Cup. ?

Alex Morgan billboard

I think the unintended consequence of more money in the womens game for a club like BCFC is that they are competing with clubs that have revenues of 200-300M, I know its a vanity project to an extent but we just can't compete budget wise, even Brighton and Villa have PL money that they can chuck into this project. Agree they're in a mini league but they will be more up against it every season from now on I think. To end up with just the exact same clubs as the mens teams battle it out is a pretty horrible outcome I think.

Edited by Baba Yaga

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Even Spurs have signed the one who scored the goal for USA that knocked England out of the World Cup. ?

Alex Morgan billboard

I know its a vanity project to an extent but we just can't compete budget wise, even Brighton and Villa have PL money that they can chuck into this project. Agree they're in a mini league but they will be more up against it every season from now on I think. 

Can they use money from a different club? They are completely different businesses, just like saying we would use money from the football club for the Bears

I wouldn't assume that just because the mens side are in the Premier League it has any impact on the ladies team.

Could you honestly see any Premier League side giving up some of their budget to support their womens team? Never going to happen !

What is surprising is that we have been allowed to slip so alarmingly off the pace. It wasn't that long ago that we were in the Champions League last rounds facing the top sides in Europe.

The side needs a serious and massive injection of finance, the scorelines are appalling and needs looking at PDQ

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Can they use money from a different club? They are completely different businesses, just like saying we would use money from the football club for the Bears

I wouldn't assume that just because the mens side are in the Premier League it has any impact on the ladies team.

Could you honestly see any Premier League side giving up some of their budget to support their womens team? Never going to happen !

What is surprising is that we have been allowed to slip so alarmingly off the pace. It wasn't that long ago that we were in the Champions League last rounds facing the top sides in Europe.

The side needs a serious and massive injection of finance, the scorelines are appalling and needs looking at PDQ

I have worded it badly but what I mean is that top 6 clubs/established prem clubs will spend more on things like branding/marketing (which in my view women's football falls into kind of), for me to imply they are dipping into the men's budgets directly is a big and possibly wild assumption. But the money for some CSR projects comes directly from the club or it comes from sponsorship/director funding, it would be interesting to see how much Spurs have paid for Morgan and where the cash has come from. I know they had a big crowd turn up for the Woman's NLD so they might see this as a good investment or at the least it improves the overall clubs image. I think BCWFC have stood still while others have upped their game massively, it would be very unpopular to see BCFC men's club money go into helping the woman's team however at some point though all of the money comes from the same pot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, we're rock bottom so far, but it's gonna be all about the 6 pointers with the other 4 winless teams. Just got to survive again this season.

They way this league is, do you think there should be a Scottish league style split? So that there are more competitive games in the season?

Caus despite the scoreline, the stats say this wasn't really a game.

Given the recent form, I feel the defeat at the Gooners is something of a significant improvement. Good to see the return of Abi Harrison after a long injury lay-off, too.

Stats are one thing but don't tell the true story. Plenty of matches show a big possession bias but the scoreline told another. I don't doubt the game was one-way traffic for much of it. Ultimately, there is only one statistic.

Yes, there will be a separate mini league at the bottom where the struggle to survive will be played out. Interesting to listen to Mr Lansdown on the latest interview that we know what we are about and where we will be competing. The top clubs are putting top money into the women's game, but we have a more realistic approach. It is no surprise or shame.

Two big games coming up: home to Villa next Sunday and home to Brum the weekend after. That will give us a better picture. Big pity we can't attend.

9 hours ago, frenchred said:

An absolute waste of money

For what it costs us, you could probably argue it's much less a waste of money than the men's team!

If you're not interested in women's football fine, but there are plenty that are.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

For what it costs us, you could probably argue it's much less a waste of money than the men's team!

If you're not interested in women's football fine, but there are plenty that are.

I agree that it's good we have a women's team under the Bristol Sport umbrella. But I'm not sure there are 'plenty' who are interested in it. How would you quantify that? 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree that it's good we have a women's team under the Bristol Sport umbrella. But I'm not sure there are 'plenty' who are interested in it. How would you quantify that? 

I'm not sure you could quantify it, but I regard myself as a fairly average fan and am certainly interested to a certain extent since they came under the Bristol Sport unmbrella in that I look out for their results etc.

I am sure I'm not alone.

23 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I'm not sure you could quantify it, but I regard myself as a fairly average fan and am certainly interested to a certain extent since they came under the Bristol Sport unmbrella in that I look out for their results etc.

I am sure I'm not alone.

I can see the benefit of investing in it, even if it's essentially a loss making product (not just in a financial sense). 

You're right it is difficult to quantify, the impression I get is that on average our supporters will keep an eye on the result if we're playing a famous women's side (ie Arsenal) and it's promoted via the Bristol City FC social media channels. They wouldn't go out of their way to follow the side though. Clearly there are exceptions to this such as yourself. 

• Admin

Wednesday night sees the first match in this seasons FA Continental Cup, home to London Bees.

The Bees are bottom of the Championship - played 3, lost 3. Scored 1 and conceded 10.

This really should be a hammering for us, as the gulf between the two leagues is massive

After that we play Aston Villa and Birmingham - the two sides immediately above us in the table, both very winnable games and hopefully the result against London Bees will give them the confidence going into Sunday's home game

• Like 1