IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

Look, I know this will attract lots of scathing comments about women’s football, and plenty on OTIB see them as “nothing to do with us”. 

I confess I myself don’t actually watch them. That said, they ARE a part of Bristol City, they HAVE just won away at Everton, and there are four clubs below them in their league, including Liverpool and Everton.

Seventh in the country and in no danger of relegation. So, well done them.

• Like 12

Yes, well done to them, they seem to be improving despite losing a lot of talent in the Summer. I take my daughter to watch them when I can and she enjoys herself. It's a more relaxed occasion than the men's football so good for kids.

The women play some good football, and often come and have a chat at pitchside after games which is nice for the younger fans.

I recommend it as an alternative match day out to anyone at a loose end when the men are playing away.

Yes, the Vixens are certainly playing well and achieving some good results this season. Since Tanya Oxtoby took over after Kirk's departure at the start they have essentially begun afresh and are looking a useful side. Given that the best talent has been swept up by the big spenders at the top of the table, we nevertheless have a squad that is capable of matching anyone on the day. It's well worth watching, and the relaxed atmosphere may be the game's USP - family football.

I’m a big fan of the Vixens. Cracking goal by Ella Rutherford yesterday. Love Carla Humphrey.

World Cup will be fascinating too - women’s football is finally getting the attention it deserves.

I’m much more interested in the City women’s team’s fortunes than that stupid rugby team - pointless kick and clap nonsense.

Some of the disparaging comments I’ve seen on various City FB pages about the women’s team have been downright disgraceful. Made by blokes who the ladies of the team would no doubt run rings around on the football field.

• Like 3

Yes they deserve all the credit, like the men's team they lost talent in the summer and I was concerned that the women's game would become dominated by the same teams that dominate the men's game. It seems that the women are coping with the losses as well as the men's team, well done.

• Like 1

A distinctly new group of players and a new manager this season - the results have been impressive, given the status of the club compared to others. For a team that was a fraction of the cost of the visitors, they acquitted themselves well and proved what a tough proposition they are. Granted, the Vixens aren't likely to be challenging for the silverware this season but they are a well-balanced side. Very respectable indeed.

• Like 1

Think Yeovil (who have a number of ex-Vixens among their squad) will be going home feeling pretty peeved. They played some good solid defensive football and opened the scoring early in the second half. One penalty decision from the lino and a deflected strike that left the keeper helpless gave City Women the win. I have to say the Reds just about deserved it on possession and attacks, but there wasn't a big gap between the two sides. However, it's a win and that's what the table records. What's the old adage? Winning whilst not playing at their best is a commendation for the girls; next stop - the FA Cup at the Wombles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Think Yeovil (who have a number of ex-Vixens among their squad) will be going home feeling pretty peeved. They played some good solid defensive football and opened the scoring early in the second half. One penalty decision from the lino and a deflected strike that left the keeper helpless gave City Women the win. I have to say the Reds just about deserved it on possession and attacks, but there wasn't a big gap between the two sides. However, it's a win and that's what the table records. What's the old adage? Winning whilst not playing at their best is a commendation for the girls; next stop - the FA Cup at the Wombles.

Thanks for report Erithacus.  Did Yeovil park the bus or was did they come for a result?

50 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Thanks for report Erithacus.  Did Yeovil park the bus or was did they come for a result?

Came for a result. Looked a bit bewildered by the penalty call (harsh).  Although result fine given balance of play. Cold and windy - not conducive to great football. But some good performances.

• Like 1

Yeovil certainly didn't come here with an aim to just stop us scoring - they had every ambition to get up the field and proved it. They had a few decent chances (City had 12 shots {9} to the Lady Glovers 4 {2} according to the BBC stats) and might have added to their tally on another day. Their new gaffer, Lee Burch, (taking over after Jamie Sherwood's four year reign) seems to have formed a stout and organised team. I was level with the defender so can't really say if the penalty call was harsh or not, but the lino was right in line. Up to that point, we were having a little difficulty in getting into the box for an attempt, so perhaps it came at a useful time. As for the deflected winner - if you don't buy a ticket...

Vixens now up to fifth in the table!

• Like 1

Well deserved award for the Vixen's stopper! She has been on consistently good form all season and certainly was the busier of the two keepers yesterday - and topped the match off right at the end blocking a shot under the bar.

Shame their FA Cup game is on two hours after the men's game at the Gate. With a clear run, fans might be able to get up to see the second half...

Just read that the gaffer(ess) Tanya Oxtoby has also been awarded the LMA Manager of the Month too! Justly so.

Edited by Erithacus
Additional info