IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

• Admin

Hard earned 1-1 draw

Reading had so many chances, but Baggaley was in top form

Sadly it was a handling error that resulted in the equaliser, frustrating to watch with misplaced passes and on a number of times City looked like winning it on the counter attack

Good to see a crowd at The Madejski, apart from the Reading fan that decided to count at the top of his voice everytime our keeper was holding onto the ball

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Good point, thought they were still at SGS.

Does seem odd, Bath City have crowds (so ground is ok), Reading had fans in yesterday (so not a league rule)

These next two games could potentially be the difference between staying in the league or not too

image.png

Nice counter attack goal, seemed like Reading had the rest of the opportunities though. When you're down the bottom that's a very good point. Against Spurs in the game before they scored twice and had some other chances too so I think that was the best performance so far from what I have seen. They haven't won a home league game for 2 seasons but if they beat Villa then they will start looking capable of staying up.

A bad scoreline and home to West Ham on Sunday. Pressure is really on now. Maybe Mr Lansdown's recent cashing in of some shares will be put to good use?

Hopes circulating that fans will be allowed back in (to Twerton) for Brighton game on January 10th. That needs to have a big, positive effect.

I'm looking to see how long it takes to get a home win because the one time I went to watch them play was the last time they won at home in the wsl, sad to say it was about 11-12 months before lockdown begun so they were struggling massively even before fans left.

One stat I look at which I think is more important in women's football is goals scored, villa had scored 3 before tonight in 6 or so games so to get 4 in 90 minutes isn't good for City. Odds on to go down now but they need to move on quickly to another big game.

Edited by Baba Yaga

• Admin

It's sad to watch.

They clearly don't lack effort and commitment but they are starting to look well out of their depth. 

Lose to West Ham Sunday and relegation is looming faster and faster. 

All efforts should have been made to get home supporters in tonight and Sunday to boost the team.

It must be so demoralising to get beaten practically every week.

Somewhere along the way It's all been mis managed behind the scenes. 

It wasn't that long ago they were in the final rounds of the Champions league, we've gone backwards as so many other clubs have invested time, money and effort and left us a long way behind in every department 

• Admin
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

How is the manager surviving?

My hunch isn't if they lose to West Ham that could be it.

But in truth it's like trying to drill through metal using wooden tools, Tanya Oxtoby has nothing to work with. 

One thing that dawned on me, all the big foreign signings have vanished. Wasn't there some top Australian and Japanese international signed?

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's sad to watch.

They clearly don't lack effort and commitment but they are starting to look well out of their depth. 

All efforts should have been made to get home supporters in tonight and Sunday to boost the team.

It wasn't that long ago they were in the final rounds of the Champions league, we've gone backwards as so many other clubs have invested time, money and effort and left us a long way behind in every department 

Was chatting to someone about no supporters tonight at the game. They believe because Bristol is Tier 3 they don’t want people travelling to a tier 2 area. 

7 hours ago, phantom said:

It's sad to watch.

I'll say it.

Lansdown gains nothing financially from Womens Football.

Even less in the circles he mixes in - it's a joke to his 'fellow businessmen'

Yet this goal surely shows there is a future.

If there ain't no £££ to be made - then Lansdown ain't interested.

That's why they are at Twerton - watch Lansdown now buy the ground, add facilities and then invest. Plus the rugby potential....oh , and land to build on.

Remind anyone of Ashton Gate / Vale?

Edited by The Constant Rabbit

• Admin
9 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Was chatting to someone about no supporters tonight at the game. They believe because Bristol is Tier 3 they don’t want people travelling to a tier 2 area. 

This is the weak excuse that the club claimed, at the end of the day Bath City manage crowds, and I am 100% sure not all their supporters come from Bath. It could have been managed but the opportunity to give the women a lift at two massive fixtures has been lazily missed sadly

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I'll say it.

Lansdown gains nothing financially from Womens Football.

Even less in the circles he mixes in - it's a joke to his 'fellow businessmen'

I'd have thought the publicity alone of Bristol City going toe to toe with the likes of those teams in that league would be enough?

The club could then tap into a bigger financial pool for sponsorship?

51 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is the weak excuse that the club claimed, at the end of the day Bath City manage crowds, and I am 100% sure not all their supporters come from Bath. It could have been managed but the opportunity to give the women a lift at two massive fixtures has been lazily missed sadly

I'd have thought the publicity alone of Bristol City going toe to toe with the likes of those teams in that league would be enough?

The club could then tap into a bigger financial pool for sponsorship?

I agree, but if you read the government guidelines that’s the rules.

Same will happen when Ashton gate can let in crowds, Postcodes will be checked to see if you are in a Tier that allows travel.

• Admin
34 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree, but if you read the government guidelines that’s the rules.

Same will happen when Ashton gate can let in crowds, Postcodes will be checked to see if you are in a Tier that allows travel.

Completely agree

It could have been resolved

The reality is woman’s football at this stage of its development is not a “ business proposition “, but for a club like City it is an opportunity to provide a platform to grow the game in the South West. Rather than invest in top players from who knows where I believe City would be better off to allow the team to be relegated to a level that they can compete in, and use what resources we have to produce our own players from local girls. 
We will never match Man City / Chelsea etc in this league but we can help grow the sport in the SW and in time begin to climb the women’s pyramid whilst providing professional standard access / facilities to the girls of our area.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

So who is going to step into the office in the interim? Technical Director 9-19 and Assistant Coach Marco Chiavetta? Or is this an opportunity to cast the net further?

I wonder if the guy that stepped in a few games back is being lined up?

Seemed odd at the time to bring someone in with no connection to the side.

VERY difficult morally for the club to sack her now