IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Maybe we could compromise by making the goals bigger in the men's game ?

In honesty mate I don’t care if they make it smaller or not just thought it was an interesting topic and one of the top women’s coaches is for it. 

I guess she knows very little compared to the clowns of otib. 

13 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The article states the average height of women in the UK is 5.3. That is not the average height of UK female goal keepers. The England Keeper Bardsley is 6.0 tall. 

In your last sentence you make a point about enjoyment and watching. That is not a coaching point. Implementing goal and pitch sizes would necessitate a huge overhaul of facilities. A impractical massive overhaul as experience and evidence shows within the age related phases in the male game those changes will not occur. At the U14 level kids play on adult pitches with adult goals because there were/are not the resources to support different. 

Age related phases are just that, the coaching and educational phases apply to both males and females, they are not phases solely based upon the physical but very much the psychological.

Males and females playing on the same sized pitches, using the same sized goals, using the same coaching methods makes logical sense. The female game to improve it further needs more equivalence to the male game not less. 

I never once said it’s a coaching point. I said what I enjoy is there tactical side of the game.

I agree about the resources but that doesn’t mean if it wasn’t available it wouldn’t be changed. 

I disagree with the last statement, women are gifted with a different skill set even in football to men, honing in on those would improve the women’s game and at the county development levels they certainly don’t train the same way as the men, from experience of some CPD events I can tell you that for a fact. 

Every aspect of coaching has the four corner model in mind, none of these work alone and therefore none is more important than the other. 

Having worked in some academies and watched the way clubs work, I can assure you they base a lot of their football for youngers on smaller pitches and almost all their game related training is on pitches 3/4 the size of the one they play on.  

On 08/03/2021 at 20:55, shahanshahan said:

What a pass that is!

On 08/03/2021 at 22:21, Bs4Red said:

I’m all for equality and that but the level of that was garbage. A good win but Toolstation teams beat them 

I disagree. Not City of course, but I've watched a Womens youth England game at St Georges Park with my football team (and I've played at a decent semi pro level myself recently) and we all commented on how much better they actually are when you watch in person. It was a bit odd, but they zip the ball around and it's one-two touch and gone. Obviously not every player/team is that good, but I'd say the decent womens time would outplay a Toolstation mens team. The men would have the physicality but that only counts if you get near them. I dont think its a fair comparison to compare the mens teams to the womens, its just unnecessary but they're better than you'd think. They're also far fitter and more athletic than most toolstation players.

On 09/03/2021 at 07:43, Lew-T said:

Smaller pitches and nets?

Jesus man, listen to yourself.

It's been discussed though hasn't it, women are on average about 6 inches shorter than men though as someone else said Men have grown since the goals were created so maybe its the men's that need to be bigger

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Cricket too. Because the bowlers can`t hurl it down at ninety miles an hour and the batters can`t smack it 120yds the emphasis is far more on technical skills like spin. It`s one of the reasons I enjoy watching women`s cricket.

On the cricket show a while back the lack of real pace from female fast bowlers could be rectified by shortening the wicket to 20yds from 22yds.

Sounded like a good idea to me.

10 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I never once said it’s a coaching point. I said what I enjoy is there tactical side of the game.

I agree about the resources but that doesn’t mean if it wasn’t available it wouldn’t be changed. 

I disagree with the last statement, women are gifted with a different skill set even in football to men, honing in on those would improve the women’s game and at the county development levels they certainly don’t train the same way as the men, from experience of some CPD events I can tell you that for a fact. 

Every aspect of coaching has the four corner model in mind, none of these work alone and therefore none is more important than the other. 

Having worked in some academies and watched the way clubs work, I can assure you they base a lot of their football for youngers on smaller pitches and almost all their game related training is on pitches 3/4 the size of the one they play on.  

You are making points about coaching using links to coaches and mentioning standards - These will with respect apply to coaching. The lack of resources would affect standards of coaching and opportunity. Its hard to see how doing something that would be highly impractical would equal improvement.

I do not understand your point. I posted something like females playing on the same sized pitches makes logical sense. It makes sense because there are not the resources to do otherwise.

Yes. And corners overlap. All corners overlap with the psychological. Age related phases are based on understanding humans have. The coaching at the foundation stage should be technical and fun because kids brains are not developed enough to understand the tactical or complex.

I have not said anything different. Coaching methodology will mean and should that training takes in many forms - Small sided games in tight spaces/ coaching in units etc are forms of the constant.  

Edited by Cowshed

Episode 18 of Bristol City Vixencast is out now!

Back from the international break, D-M, Nat and I talk – a lot – about that game at Ashton Gate, in a bad night for the Royals (sounds familiar). We go into detail of an extraordinary footballing spectacle, in what is already being described as the best WSL game of the season.  Under the floodlights on a feelgood International Women’s Day, Matt Beard’s Vixens showed us exactly what they are capable of.

We relive a glorious team performance; those goals by Wellings, Purfield and Salmon; and celebrate no longer being bottom of the league, and talk about our brief encounter with ex-Bristol Academy & England goalkeeper Siobhan Chamberlain, who was doing commentary.

We also report on all the latest City Women news and look forward to Sunday’s Conti-Cup final against Chelsea.

Listen & follow subscribe here

Harry Meghan.png

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 13:44, shahanshahan said:

Following the success of the watchalong for the game against Bournemouth, Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust are joining forces with Bristol City Vixencast to host another watchalong for this Sunday's Conti Cup Final between Chelsea & Bristol City (not often you get any Bristol City team in a cup final!)

The game is live on BT Sport in the UK, and on FA Player internationally.

Joining the watchalong will be guests of honour, and former Bristol City/Academy players Corinne Yorston & Grace McCatty.

The watchalong will start a 2:00pm with KO being at 2:30pm.

To register your interest, please email citywomen@bristolcitysupporters.org

Conti Cup Final 2021 Watchalong Rectangle.png

Looking forward to this tomorrow! If you still want to take part, don't forget to sign up!

• Like 1

Hoping for a good performance today, although the odds are not favourable. I suspect Chelsea will have some plans to isolate Salmon and make it difficult to get forwards. However, this team under Matt Beard has shaken off the early season form and aren't going to be a pushover.

It's been a while since our last final appearances. As the Academy, the girls were FA Cup finalists in 2011 and 2013, beaten in both by Arsenal. Ironically, during that era the 2012 final was held at Ashton Gate but that saw Birmingham beat Chelsea on penalties.

COYR! COYV!

Will be interesting to see if Chelsea are broken by their midweek European travels. On that basis alone we have a small chance. Stay in the game for the first half then try & out run them in the second. COYRs.

Edited by Cardy