IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

What a disappointment that turned out to be. It's a real shame that City were comprehensively outclassed but that's the reality: Chelsea's bench had more internationals than the Vixens' squad. The gulf was enormous and after an awful start there was only one way this game would pan out.

I was hoping the girls would show more of the sort of abilities they have in recent weeks but we hardly had a sniff. Perhaps a consolation goal would have been handy.

We might look at the starting formation and question it but I don't think that mere tactics were the problem. Chelsea thought quicker, ran quicker and were a country mile better technically. They were expecting good things to happen and made them. Simple.

City had some respectable individual performances but overall were second best in almost all departments, too often arriving behind the opponents.

Mielda's injury looks pretty bad, maybe the curse of the female knee. As an international that will be a serious worry.

But in the fullness of time, we need to be back to the routine of league games. It might be that we're used to adversity - after all, we lost 9-0 to Chelsea before so maybe there is something to hang on to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When one team is so much better than the other, gotta expect results like this.

The game is still evolving.  Enjoy it for what is.  Stop comparing it to the men’s game.

Absolutely. From what I know of the two teams that was the equivalent of an U23's team playing an full international team. Let's celebrate them reaching a final rather denigrate them for todays result.

• Like 6

With the 6-0 loss today, as well as losing 9-0 at Kingsmeadow, and 5-0 at Twerton Park, Chelsea once again proving ruthless against teams like City.
Second half was slightly better, but the injury to Mjelde is very worrying! Hope she gets well soon.

Massive achievement for City to reach the final nonetheless. First Conti Cup Final where neither Arsenal or Man City have reached.

Also, thanks to everyone who took part in the Zoom watchalong with the Vixencast and Supporters Club & Trust.
Myself and the other podcast hosts are taking a break for a couple of hours and recording tonight.
Would love to hear people's thoughts?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Did the woman use to be quite good? About 6-8 years ago we were in Europe? What's happened.

Other clubs are spending increasing amounts on players and coaching. The WSL is effectively two divisions in one, with the “haves” at the top and the “have nots” at the bottom. City just don’t compete on player fees and wages and the gap is growing

3 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Did the woman use to be quite good? About 6-8 years ago we were in Europe? What's happened.

Yep, famously beat Barcelona at Ashton Gate to reach the Champions League quarter finals in 2014.
That was back when they were the independent Bristol Academy.
Some (not me) have argued that since the team got taken over by Bristol City, that it's hindered the team. And that other teams have had more investment, and/or have leapt above them in terms of trophies/performances etc.

Nowadays, you have the "top 4" in the WSL (Chelsa, Man City, Arsenal, and now, Man Utd) and a worrying trend that other WSL teams can't catch up.
Also, it's not necessarily always a branding/exposure issue, as Liverpool got relegated while their men's team went on to win the Premier League.

• Like 1

The reality of modern English football regardless of gender: money talks and the WSL might stand for Wealth Secures Leadership. It will prompt many to ask how the Vixens fit into the overall Bristol Sport portfolio, but if they had remained as The Academy you might ponder where would they be now?

Either way, it is what it is. Move on to the Man City game, (possibly not much joy there) but then it's up against Spurs, Birmingham and Villa - all vital matches.

• Admin
2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Some (not me) have argued that since the team got taken over by Bristol City, that it's hindered the team. And that other teams have had more investment, and/or have leapt above them in terms of trophies/performances etc.

Interesting point, but Bristol Rovers, SGS etc surely couldn't invest more than we do?

The WSL etc is very similar to what happened in Rugby Union, investment has massively changed and certain clubs have massively improved whilst a small handful have at best stood still. 

What surprises me most is there's real investment in the men's football, bears and flyers set ups but nothing major for the women. 

During the game today it mentioned top players transfer for about £200k so even mid table quality wouldn't seemingly be that great. 

I am intrigued to see what happens with Matt Beard at the end of the season, he's visibly improved the squad, and let's be honest we'd be down without a fight if he hadn't come aboard. Surely it's a massive backwards step letting him go?

Finally the team should be proud and massively congratulated on making the final today 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

What a disappointment that turned out to be. It's a real shame that City were comprehensively outclassed but that's the reality: Chelsea's bench had more internationals than the Vixens' squad. The gulf was enormous and after an awful start there was only one way this game would pan out.

I was hoping the girls would show more of the sort of abilities they have in recent weeks but we hardly had a sniff. Perhaps a consolation goal would have been handy.

We might look at the starting formation and question it but I don't think that mere tactics were the problem. Chelsea thought quicker, ran quicker and were a country mile better technically. They were expecting good things to happen and made them. Simple.

City had some respectable individual performances but overall were second best in almost all departments, too often arriving behind the opponents.

Mielda's injury looks pretty bad, maybe the curse of the female knee. As an international that will be a serious worry.

But in the fullness of time, we need to be back to the routine of league games. It might be that we're used to adversity - after all, we lost 9-0 to Chelsea before so maybe there is something to hang on to.

I don't know what if any regulations on finance exist in Women's football but the difference in the ridiculous amounts spent by the men's Premier League top clubs in their Women's teams is obscene - bears no resemblance of the gate money received. A Premier League problem magnified many times in the Women's game.

15 hours ago, phantom said:

During the game today it mentioned top players transfer for about £200k so even mid table quality wouldn't seemingly be that great. 

I am intrigued to see what happens with Matt Beard at the end of the season, he's visibly improved the squad, and let's be honest we'd be down without a fight if he hadn't come aboard. Surely it's a massive backwards step letting him go?

Finally the team should be proud and massively congratulated on making the final today 

Yep, Pernille Harder for Chelsea broke the transfer record when she joined from Wolfsburg last year.
Personally, I'd love to see Beard stay, as well as the team stay in the WSL.
I'd be worried if Tanya Oxtoby returned and took the team to yet another relegation battle for a third successive season.
I can see now why she wasn't sacked at the time (it would look bad for any organisation if they sacked someone while they were pregnant)

• Like 2