IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

• Admin

Simply we were just not good enough, lacked quality in the squad and too reliant on a handful of players.

After the way we started the season it's amazing we had a chance of survival coming into the last game of the season.

The Championship is a massive drop in quality so as long as we keep the majority of the squad we will compete at the right end.

The biggest concern has to be missing out on the additional tv coverage and money associated with it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedInDevon said:

What a god awful season for Bristol football as a whole - 2 relegations and almost a 3rd (although City deserved to go down to be honest!). 

As a life long City supporter, I can't say that I am too hopeful for next season at the moment.

I comfort myself in the belief that  Nigel Pearson wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't have assurances that he can rebuild the squad as he wants to. 

21 minutes ago, redpole said:

I was disappointed that Bristol City main Twitter account didn’t mention it on their thread today wishing the girls good luck. 

Indeed. I myself don’t watch the women’s game as I personally don’t find the enjoyment as much but I do keep an eye on the results and was hoping for updates, alas nothing. Poor from the club. Wishing the vixens well in the next campaign.

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I've watched the last 4 games and their standard is extremely poor. At least they try hard.

What a way to round off the season for Bristol 'football'.

You are not wrong. What I don't understand, it would have taken such modest investment (compared to the money spent on the mens) to have kept them in the top division. A half-decent CM and CB would probably have been enough. Now their few good players will leave and it won't be easy getting back with only 1 team promoted each season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

You are not wrong. What I don't understand, it would have taken such modest investment (compared to the money spent on the mens) to have kept them in the top division. A half-decent CM and CB would probably have been enough. Now their few good players will leave and it won't be easy getting back with only 1 team promoted each season.

Not ideal time to be relegated with the new deal agreed with SKY. There is such a gulf between the top 4 teams and the rest of the league. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

The ladies team has been on a downward trend since becoming Bristol City ladies. I’m not saying Bristol Academy wouldn’t have suffered the same fate but it’s difficult to see what benefits being part of the Bristol Sport family has brought.

Interesting that Lansdown has ploughed money into Bristol rugby which has made a huge difference ( in terms of attracting a top coach and facilities in particular). It really feels like a missed opportunity to not make a decent investment into the women’s team, which would have resulted in a much higher profile for the club and Bristol Sport as a whole.  

• Like 4

Really gutted about today, although I feel it's been on the cards since the first game of the season, or even in last season. Felt we played better last week against United than we did today.

35 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

The ladies team has been on a downward trend since becoming Bristol City ladies. I’m not saying Bristol Academy wouldn’t have suffered the same fate but it’s difficult to see what benefits being part of the Bristol Sport family has brought.

Had Bristol Academy not become Bristol City, we wouldn't be talking about them on OTIB! However I was informed by another fan that Bristol Academy had a crowdfunder at one point, before being taken over by Bristol City/Sport 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

it’s difficult to see what benefits being part of the Bristol Sport family has brought.

True. 

I doubt Bristol Academy would have been able to find the funds to develop so in theory having the Bristol Sport backing should have seen a level of investment that could have seen them at least competing in the top half of the table.

As it stands, I think someone forgot to remind the family that they actually own the team.

With 2 points from the first 10 games and no apparent demand for improvement or signing new players, shunting the team off to Bath to play (not that this really mattered without fans) and the lack of discussion around the team from the club all means it would seem they couldn't really give a.toss what the Ladies team does.

It's a wasted opportunity as women's football is steadily growing and it's another chance of getting the shirt seen by the wider community.

I thought Bristol Sport was all about maximising the brand.

• Like 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Interesting that Lansdown has ploughed money into Bristol rugby which has made a huge difference ( in terms of attracting a top coach and facilities in particular). It really feels like a missed opportunity to not make a decent investment into the women’s team, which would have resulted in a much higher profile for the club and Bristol Sport as a whole.  

Add to that, that Bristol Sport were chucking money at a racing driver and badminton side at one point, I can't believe the investment required for the womens side would have been that great to even get them as a mid table side.

The WSLs profile is going to take off next season and sadly we've missed the boat.

I really feel for Matt Beard and his squad tonight as they couldn't ever be faulted for effort but sadly just not up to the required standards to stay in the league 

Sky struggling again 

20210509_192726.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Add to that, that Bristol Sport were chucking money at a racing driver and badminton side at one point, I can't believe the investment required for the womens side would have been that great to even get them as a mid table side.

The WSLs profile is going to take off next season and sadly we've missed the boat.

I really feel for Matt Beard and his squad tonight as they couldn't ever be faulted for effort but sadly just not up to the required standards to stay in the league 

Sky struggling again 

20210509_192726.jpg

You have lost me as to why Sky might be struggling, but I assume you have noticed who took 4-74 for Kent - our former academy player, Nathan Gilchrist, who apparently rejected our contract offer. 

25 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You have lost me as to why Sky might be struggling, but I assume you have noticed who took 4-74 for Kent - our former academy player, Nathan Gilchrist, who apparently rejected our contract offer. 

The badges.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 2

The first of how many? Especially disappointing seeing as she has come through the Academy.

Two prime names I fear will go are Ebony Salmon and Sophie Baggaley, both of whom contributed heavilly to the side's successes this season (what there were of them) and could be just the job for another WSL team.

Has there been any indication from the club about who is going to be in charge from now? Getting the side organised will be most important and the sooner they start, the better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Erithacus said:

The first of how many? Especially disappointing seeing as she has come through the Academy.

Two prime names I fear will go are Ebony Salmon and Sophie Baggaley, both of whom contributed heavilly to the side's successes this season (what there were of them) and could be just the job for another WSL team.

Has there been any indication from the club about who is going to be in charge from now? Getting the side organised will be most important and the sooner they start, the better.

Ellen Jones posted on her Twitter using emojis suggesting she is going to the US, so it seems she'll be playing college football there.

I realistically don't expect Salmon to stay, especially if her contract is up anyway. I believe Baggaley's contract is also up as well.

No news yet about head coach, however the club confirmed this morning that assistant manager Marco Chiavetta has stepped down from the club! I expected some sort of change within the coaching set-up anyway

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/chiavetta-departs-bristol-city-women/

Beard's departure was not unexpected as there were rumours of other irons in the fire. However, that clearly points to Oxtoby returning so it would appear the club has started to get things organised. The sooner the retained players are known the sooner the work can start. The Championship is going to be a tough place - much tougher than the last time the girls topped it.