IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

• Admin
1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Beard's departure was not unexpected as there were rumours of other irons in the fire. However, that clearly points to Oxtoby returning so it would appear the club has started to get things organised. The sooner the retained players are known the sooner the work can start. The Championship is going to be a tough place - much tougher than the last time the girls topped it.

The odd thing is that she must still have months of maternity leave to take

Back to the scene of his major triumphs: 2012-15 under his management saw several league and cup wins (assuming Vicky Jepson is making way).

The thought is that Liverpool were such serial winners then, but have now spent a couple of unremarkable seasons and ended up third in the second tier (behind Leicester City and Durham). It's not a place where a glittering history makes much impact. Tough times ahead, methinks.

11 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Back to the scene of his major triumphs: 2012-15 under his management saw several league and cup wins (assuming Vicky Jepson is making way).

The thought is that Liverpool were such serial winners then, but have now spent a couple of unremarkable seasons and ended up third in the second tier (behind Leicester City and Durham). It's not a place where a glittering history makes much impact. Tough times ahead, methinks.

Vicky left by 'mutual consent' in January. Amber Whitely was interim manager and won the Championship manager of the month ward for April 

Edited by E.G.Red

Well today was a mad day regarding City Women news.

Genuinely didn't think Matt Beard would want to step down to the Championship, but he has history at Liverpool.

As for Ebony Salmon, I didn't expect her to leave England at all. However the NWSL is hotting up, and they play a summer league.

I wish them all the best, apart from next season when City play Liverpool ?

Does anyone else think that, if it wasn't for the fact that Tanya Oxtoby was due to take time off for the birth of her child then she would have been let go due to the poor performance of the team?

It may have put the club in a very difficult position because, let's face it, up to the start of her maternity leave, City were awful and there was little sign that things were going to change. 

I could just imagine how poor it would look to sack someone about to go maternity leave.

I posted a few pages back that this is very much a missed opportunity by the club. Women's football is growing in popularity and respect with each passing season and with only 1 up 1 down getting back into the top flight will be tough.

Much like the Rugby where SL was able to buy the best coaching and playing staff for far less cost than the men's footballing equivalent, the level of investment to ensure a competitive ladies team is far less than the men's. 

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Does anyone else think that, if it wasn't for the fact that Tanya Oxtoby was due to take time off for the birth of her child then she would have been let go due to the poor performance of the team?

It may have put the club in a very difficult position because, let's face it, up to the start of her maternity leave, City were awful and there was little sign that things were going to change. 

I could just imagine how poor it would look to sack someone about to go maternity leave.

I posted a few pages back that this is very much a missed opportunity by the club. Women's football is growing in popularity and respect with each passing season and with only 1 up 1 down getting back into the top flight will be tough.

Much like the Rugby where SL was able to buy the best coaching and playing staff for far less cost than the men's footballing equivalent, the level of investment to ensure a competitive ladies team is far less than the men's. 

I just think City are seriously underfunded against the other teams.  They got a few in during the window from memory and it made them a tad more competitive.  I’m sure Beard had an impact too.

• Like 1

The CL Final has shown a number of things. The standard of top European football has risen much higher than the WSL. Granted, Barcelona are not short of money or top class resources but the fact is that nearly all the players were Spanish, and most of them brought up through their academy. Compare that to Chelsea's imported talent. For all the talk of the WSL being a shining beacon it looks a little pale now. It seems that the NWSL of America still has a big draw (two City players are off this season). The real state of play is revealed.

Chelsea are a good team, no doubt, but they were a yard slower, a touch poorer and tactically second best. Yes, they may not have had their best XI available but they were shredded down both wings and found the midfield almost impenetrable. I thought former Vixen Sophie Ingle was a lost soul for much of the game and the Kirby/Kerr partnership was unable to make any real impression.

Giving a freak own goal away in the first minute and suffering a soft penalty shorly after made for a comfortable match for a side who were clearly well drilled and in a familiar pattern. Typically Spanish, and difficult to deal with when on top.

One thing that crossed my mind is that City (as Academy) beat Barca at Ashton Gate seven years ago. Look how the two clubs have progressed.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Erithacus said:

The CL Final has shown a number of things. The standard of top European football has risen much higher than the WSL. Granted, Barcelona are not short of money or top class resources but the fact is that nearly all the players were Spanish, and most of them brought up through their academy. Compare that to Chelsea's imported talent. For all the talk of the WSL being a shining beacon it looks a little pale now. It seems that the NWSL of America still has a big draw (two City players are off this season). The real state of play is revealed.

Chelsea are a good team, no doubt, but they were a yard slower, a touch poorer and tactically second best. Yes, they may not have had their best XI available but they were shredded down both wings and found the midfield almost impenetrable. I thought former Vixen Sophie Ingle was a lost soul for much of the game and the Kirby/Kerr partnership was unable to make any real impression.

Giving a freak own goal away in the first minute and suffering a soft penalty shorly after made for a comfortable match for a side who were clearly well drilled and in a familiar pattern. Typically Spanish, and difficult to deal with when on top.

One thing that crossed my mind is that City (as Academy) beat Barca at Ashton Gate seven years ago. Look how the two clubs have progressed.

Yes. Agree.

Another major factor for me, was the strength in the tackle, physical stature and general athleticism of the Barcelona players that was on another level and then some.

A criticism of my very own Bristol City mens team I’ve made over many years and, very belatedly, now - hopefully - being addressed by Nige. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-women-duo-depart/

Ella Mastrantonio & Georgia Wilson released. Really gutted about Mastrantonio, as she's got the experience & would have been a fan favourite had fans been at the games, but I do feel she was underutilised this season, especially as she got left out in the last game against Brighton.

Wilson is a former Academy player but hasn't really made a lot of first team appearances since she joined the first team.

Mastrantonio I can understand as she was an Aussie brought in under Oxtoby's tenure but doesn't seem to be keen on Championship level in a foreign country. She's a decent player and I can sympathise.  Wilson is only 19 and has been at the club for two years but won't be getting another chance, sadly.

The real question I want to ask is: who made these decisions?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Mastrantonio I can understand as she was an Aussie brought in under Oxtoby's tenure but doesn't seem to be keen on Championship level in a foreign country. She's a decent player and I can sympathise.  Wilson is only 19 and has been at the club for two years but won't be getting another chance, sadly.

The real question I want to ask is: who made these decisions?

I can only assume it may have been the players. Both were on one year contracts & I assume they wouldn't want to stay/extend, given current circumstances. Either they rejected any offer, or weren't offered in the first place.

I wish the club would release a "release list" and "retained list" like what City men, and other women's football clubs, have already done. I can't handle all this bad news being released one by one ?

Speaking of lists, Brighton unveiled theirs & confirmed that Laura Rafferty has been released by then, so she could join City permanently, but I don't know if she will

The next question now arising is how much does the club have to offer new contracts? I know the Women's side finances are a vastly different kettle of fish to the men's (and that thread is running briskly in the post-Covid era!) but will there be enough funding for new players? A tough and important off-season is already here for whoever is in charge.

2 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The next question now arising is how much does the club have to offer new contracts? I know the Women's side finances are a vastly different kettle of fish to the men's (and that thread is running briskly in the post-Covid era!) but will there be enough funding for new players? A tough and important off-season is already here for whoever is in charge.

Is the Women's Championship fully professional?

• Admin
1 hour ago, When the river runs said:

Times rich list today claims Lansdown is worth £1.35 billion. 

He hasn't invested in the womens game and charges parents of the girls academy a fee to play and kit,  even though they have trialed and earned there right to play.

Proper disgrace for equality imo , He might not even know but he should do.

How does that compare with the age equivalent male teams?

9 hours ago, phantom said:

How does that compare with the age equivalent male teams?

Bristol city boys are treated differently. No fees , mini buses, kit on time/ more kit. 

I just think they should be treated equally as the girls have earned the right to be there aswell.

Seems strange to me when the owner is worth billions but still charges the academy's parents so that the womens team is funded. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, When the river runs said:

Bristol city boys are treated differently. No fees , mini buses, kit on time/ more kit. 

I just think they should be treated equally as the girls have earned the right to be there aswell.

Seems strange to me when the owner is worth billions but still charges the academy's parents so that the womens team is funded. 

They absolutely should be. It seems like a prima facie case of sex discrimination.

• Like 1

• Admin
On 22/05/2021 at 07:57, When the river runs said:

100% agree

I would question why those within the club are not asking these questions 

• Like 2