IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

Looks like Tanya will still be on maternity leave/club are trying different approach (without resorting to sacking her).

At least there'll be some stability with the same head coach throughout the season.

I'm still hoping Gemma Davies would want to apply, unless she ends up at Birmingham, since Carla Ward left them to join Villa.

Lee Burch is another name that's been thrown around.

8 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Shows what City thinks of the women's team.

Bung an advert on the OS and see who applies.

Seems a bit embarrassing. 

Not sure the criticism is warranted.

They need to advertise the temporary role because Tanya Oxtoby is still on maternity leave and they have to keep the permanent role available for her to return to. If they don’t advertise for maternity cover how would anyone know to apply speculatively?

This is how most businesses would handle it, with a job advert.

19 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Confirmation on Twitter that Loren Dykes is leaving after twelve years at the club. 

Announced yesterday as being assistant coach at Wales. There was no chance she'd be able to combine both roles. Bit of a comms failure that the club had to announce after Wales made their announcement...

One of the few originals of the early years, Loren was a stalwart for the team both on and off the pitch. It's no surprise that her talents are recognised and she has moved up to international level; I'm sure Wales will be the better for her presence. She first played under Gary Green's tenure (gosh, that seems so long ago now!) in a side that often struggled but were slowly improving over time.  Always struck me as a really intelligent and communicative person. Coaching is surely going to be where she will make a bigger mark.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 10:37, shahanshahan said:

Tanya still on maternity leave, and both Marco & Loren gone.

Will be interesting to see who comes in as Head Coach for the upcoming season, knowing they can potentially bring in their own assistants

Interesting listening to Emile Heskey yesterday. He’s currently manager of Leicester women and said he thinks there is more excitement anticipation in the women’s game at the moment and certainly where his ambitions lie. Think City women’s could be an attractive job for someone.

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Interesting listening to Emile Heskey yesterday. He’s currently manager of Leicester women and said he thinks there is more excitement anticipation in the women’s game at the moment and certainly where his ambitions lie. Think City women’s could be an attractive job for someone.

Emile Heskey is a coach there. I believe Jonathan Morgan is the manager at Leicester.

Am hoping City Women would still be an attractive club for someone to join, even with the unfortunate news that Head of Women's Football Lee Billiard is now announced as leaving at the end of the month (my guess is he's been offered a lucrative offer elsewhere). So now we have no head coach, no assistants, no GM or director, and potentially no ground as there hasn't been an update on if the club would still play at Twerton Park or elsewhere.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/billiard-to-step-down-as-head-of-womens-football/

8 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Emile Heskey is a coach there. I believe Jonathan Morgan is the manager at Leicester.

Am hoping City Women would still be an attractive club for someone to join, even with the unfortunate news that Head of Women's Football Lee Billiard is now announced as leaving at the end of the month (my guess is he's been offered a lucrative offer elsewhere). So now we have no head coach, no assistants, no GM or director, and potentially no ground as there hasn't been an update on if the club would still play at Twerton Park or elsewhere.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/billiard-to-step-down-as-head-of-womens-football/

Well, that's us well and truly snookered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phantom said:

I have to admit I had never heard of this guy, and no idea what he did 

image.png

He was in other words the General Manager, which is common in women's football, although terms such as "Director of Football" or "Sporting Director" are also used. He pretty much ran the day-to-day of the club. His appointment was very significant considering that there was no General Manager in the 2019/20 season as the position couldn't be filled.

His appointment wasn't publicly announced at the time, but he's been extremely helpful, not just in being a contact in regards to the Vixencast podcast, but was also helpful in being a point of contact when we in the Supporters Club & Trust raised queries.

I just hope that the next General Manager etc will be as useful!

• Like 1

Beginning to get the impression that a lot of changes are still to happen after a relegation season. Could this indicate the club is at some sort of crossroads? Who is still in charge and what is the plan for the forthcoming times?

On 22/05/2021 at 07:57, When the river runs said:

Bristol city boys are treated differently. No fees , mini buses, kit on time/ more kit. 

I just think they should be treated equally as the girls have earned the right to be there aswell.

Seems strange to me when the owner is worth billions but still charges the academy's parents so that the womens team is funded. 

When Chelsea reached the Champions league final they were remarking how in the early days they relied on players like JohnTerry to help them out financially. 
Hopefully times are more enlightened now and a way can be found to put the women on a more even footing. They are after all representing Bristol City.

On 28/05/2021 at 19:38, Erithacus said:

Beginning to get the impression that a lot of changes are still to happen after a relegation season. Could this indicate the club is at some sort of crossroads? Who is still in charge and what is the plan for the forthcoming times?

I assume a replacement for Lee Billiard will be brought in. As far as I'm aware, there's still key people involved like Gavin Marshall & Lisa Knights, who were part of the Bristol City Women board. The same board that was once led by Mark Ashton.

Can only assume the new chief executive Richard Gould will hopefully have the same involvement, or more if ideal!

• Like 1

Interesting to read that Tanya Oxtoby is joining the Scotland women's national team coaching set up over the summer. I thought she was still on maternity leave at City.

Looking forward to hearing the explanation to this one. Just hoping this isn't another comms failure by the club where this means she has left, but someone else has announced it beforehand

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scotland-national-team/3189709/stonehavens-christy-grimshaw-receives-first-call-up-to-scotland-national-team

Screenshot_20210531-213601.png

• Hmmm 1

• Admin
12 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Interesting to read that Tanya Oxtoby is joining the Scotland women's national team coaching set up over the summer. I thought she was still on maternity leave at City.

Something VERY odd about this

The FA have confirmed that Watford & Sunderland (a former WSL side themselves) were successful in their applications to fill the vacant two places in the Championship for next season.

Last season there were only 11 teams in the league, causing an anomaly. With London Bees relegated, teams from Tiers 3-6 were eligible to apply. More details

https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/jun/02/20210602-womens-football-pyramid-upward-movement

Interesting comments in this BBC Sport article about clubs in the transfer window

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57356271

"relegated Bristol City are expected to lose a few players, including striker Yana Daniels, with Liverpool among those rumoured to be interested, while Wales' Gemma Evans could join Reading. And Manchester United could bring in goalkeeper Sophie Baggaley, with Emily Ramsey potentially leaving"

I believe Baggaley & Evans are out of contract anyway, but I don't think Baggaley would be #1 if she were to go to United, especially with former Vixens goalkeeper Mary Earps being #1 there.

Evans would be a huge miss if she goes, and if she goes to Reading, she'd join fellow Welsh players who have left City & ended up at Reading.

Yana Daniels I'd be surprised about. She left City a few years ago for Liverpool (before coming back a year later), so I wouldn't be sure why she'd go there again (unless it's the Matt Beard factor)