IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

Gemma Evans announced by Reading.

This is a real shame. When I was covering Yeovil Town Ladies a few years back, she was head & shoulders above pretty much everyone else; then she came to City and was very consistent, reliable and rightfully won her Welsh call-ups. 

Can't be many more leaving, surely.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Gemma Evans announced by Reading.

This is a real shame. When I was covering Yeovil Town Ladies a few years back, she was head & shoulders above pretty much everyone else; then she came to City and was very consistent, reliable and rightfully won her Welsh call-ups. 

Can't be many more leaving, surely.

I'm hoping the brunt of the departures have already been announced.

Good move for Gemma, as she deserves to be playing at the highest level. I did make a joke on the Vixencast Twitter account saying that she's now part of the unwritten rule of a Welsh player that's been at Bristol (City) that somehow ends up at Reading.

And as a sad antidote to yesterday's slightly encouraging news, another four players leave today.... Meaghan Sargeant, Faye Bryson, Megan Wynne and Sophie Baggaley.

Sophie can count herself unlucky not to have won international honours. Very rare she makes a mistake but her departure along with that of Ebony Salmon and Gemma Evans was somewhat inevitable. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/quartet-set-to-depart/

• Sad 1

• Admin

I have to say I am amazed by how many players are leaving.

Were they all out of contract?

Always dislike players that were the main reason for getting a club relegated then piss off without trying to get the team back up via promotion

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

And as a sad antidote to yesterday's slightly encouraging news, another four players leave today.... Meaghan Sargeant, Faye Bryson, Megan Wynne and Sophie Baggaley.

Sophie can count herself unlucky not to have won international honours. Very rare she makes a mistake but her departure along with that of Ebony Salmon and Gemma Evans was somewhat inevitable. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/quartet-set-to-depart/

Meaghan Sargeant was announced by Villa on Saturday, but City have acknowledged it today

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Baggaley was out of contract, and is ideally too good to play below the WSL. She's been at the club for four years, so longer than I thought
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/sophie-bags-city-contract-extension/ (from 2019)

Wynne was only a one year deal
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/wynne-pens-permanent-deal-with-robins/ (from last summer)

Bryson is the interesting one. She signed a two year contract last summer, but I don't know if a clause was triggered, or if she was sold to Reading (where she has been announced today)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53256769

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Always dislike players that were the main reason for getting a club relegated then piss off without trying to get the team back up via promotion

Baggaley I believe had one of the highest amount of saves last season. Most of the goals she conceded wasn't her fault; just combination of bad defence/strong attack.
Wynne was injured in pre-season & didn't even get to play a single game!
Don't think I recalled Bryson ever having a bad game. Was very vital in a few games.

One problem with women's football is how short the contracts can be, or how easy they can not be fulfilled by clauses, etc.
Would be common across all sports for players to leave a relegated team to join a new one in the league they just played in.

Interesting regarding the players that joined Liverpool from City - they may have enjoyed working with Matt Beard & vice versa.
However what was surprising was yesterday when Laura Rafferty, on loan at City last season & who was released by Brighton, has decided to step down to the Women's National League to rejoin her former club Southampton (where she is from originally, despite being a Northern Ireland international)

Sometimes I think that in a rush to be like the men’s game, the woman’s game didn’t stop to think how it could better and absorbed too much of what most of us have cone to detest about the premier league and the position the men’s game has found itself in.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Why are they still called vixens? About time they became Robins surely?

They officially became the Robins ahead of the 2019/2020 season. Older/longer fans of the team & in women's football still use the nickname in an affectionate way - especially with the (mostly positive) history of Bristol Academy

In an early episode of the Vixencast last season, D-M, Nat & I did clarify this, and wasn't meant to criticise the rebrand.

People call them Robins, other people call them Vixens.

• Thanks 1

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/allen-re-signs-with-city/

Great to see Flo Allen commit to the club with a new contract. Played a lot last season & it's positive to see she wants to stay.
Hopefully the good news will continue, with Jess Woolley also signing a new deal (after almost two years out with injury), as well as Maisy Collis & Izzy Cook step up from the academy to sign their first professional contracts.

• Like 1

Another new signing!

Simran Jhamat joins, having previously played at various Championship teams including Liverpool, Leicester, Coventry Utd & most recently Lewes.

And if I understand correctly, she's the first South Asian footballer to play for City (men or women), which as a South Asian myself, I am very pleased about ?

(If that isn't the case and I've forgotten someone, please do correct me) ?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/jhamat-is-a-robin/

jhamat-web.jpg

Another Welsh contingent joins City!

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/morgan-joins-city-ranks/

Ffion Morgan joins having previously played at the club's academy, and most recently played for Crystal Palace.

P.S. Still find it weird that the club haven't acknowledged that Charlie Wellings joined Celtic last week...

https://celticfcwomen.celticfc.com/news/first-team/english-striker-charlie-wellings-joins-the-hoops

2021/2022 fixtures out!

Team are away to Crystal Palace for first game in August, then home to Lewes & away to Liverpool for first two games in September. Last league game is away to Sunderland.

Who's looking forward to it!?

Comments on club website also confirm plans are being worked on for matchday bus services from city to the Robins High Performance Centre

cityw_2122_fixtureannouncement_full_twitface.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to it, most definitely, will be covering it again for Opta this season. Fingers crossed for a more positive campaign, signings seem to be coming in now. 

I'm guessing the majority of games will be on the Sunday, won't they? Bit puzzled as to why they've dated both days of the weekend. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I'm guessing the majority of games will be on the Sunday, won't they? Bit puzzled as to why they've dated both days of the weekend. 

All the teams in the Championship (and WSL, whose fixtures were also announced today) have had their fixtures announced like this.

I assume it is to do with the new TV deal for the WSL, with Sky & BBC knowing which games they will show & when.
Don't think the Championship is involved as much in the TV deal, but fixtures announced in the same way

16 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

All the teams in the Championship (and WSL, whose fixtures were also announced today) have had their fixtures announced like this.

I assume it is to do with the new TV deal for the WSL, with Sky & BBC knowing which games they will show & when.
Don't think the Championship is involved as much in the TV deal, but fixtures announced in the same way

Ah thanks, yes, that would make sense. 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2021 at 16:39, phantom said:

I was just going to say the same. Now I'm not a women's football fan, never watch, BUT they seem to be tarred by the same brush as the men.   "yes, I was one of the team that did so poorly last season, but I'm too good for the Championship, I'm off!"

Is that girl who scored all those goals for City last season (name escapes me ) still at the club ?  I bet a pound to a pinch of shit she ain't !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I was just going to say the same. Now I'm not a women's football fan, never watch, BUT they seem to be tarred by the same brush as the men.   "yes, I was one of the team that did so poorly last season, but I'm too good for the Championship, I'm off!"

Is that girl who scored all those goals for City last season (name escapes me ) still at the club ?  I bet a pound to a pinch of shit she ain't !

Ebony Salmon? Gone to play in America I believe.

• Thanks 1

On 28/07/2021 at 23:29, Davefevs said:

She has.  Scored within a minute of coming off the bench on her debut.

I mentioned more about her on a Man Utd fan show I appeared on this (as she played for them before joining City), but various sources confirm she was likely to leave for the NWSL regardless of City avoiding relegation or not. Her contract was up and there was interest

CONTI CUP GROUPS REVEALED!

It's a repeat of last season's group for Bristol City, with the only change being Reading replacing London Bees.

The group stages will run from 13-14 October through to 15-16 December, with the quarter-finals scheduled for 19-20 January, the semi-finals 2-3 February, and the Final on the weekend of 5-6 March.

The Conti Cup run was the most positive thing for the team, to counter the awful league form. Will be a miracle if the team head to the final again, but Reading do have somewhat of an advantage of being the only WSL team in said group

20210730_134722.jpg

It seems City Women were on ITV News West Country last night. I mainly missed it as I was listening to Sound of the City, also I don't watch it.

They did an interview with new signing Simran Jhamat, during pre-season training at Stoke Gifford. I'm trying to work out who many of the players are ?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/academy-quintet-join-first-team-squad/

Congrats to Academy players Brooke Aspin (Centre-back), Jasmine Bull (Midfield), Erin Foley (Goalkeeper) and Maddi Wilde (Full-back) who will join the first team squad!

Naomi Layzell (Centre-back) also returns to the squad, having made appearances last season.

Hoping there'll be another (experienced) goalkeeper to form part of the squad!