IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

Hmmm, not the game many would have expected, I suspect. Given the turmoil Coventry have been through this season, it might have given the players a little more steel. I know some of the City girls would have been on other duties recently but there seemed to be a bit of a weariness about the side today, especially in the second half when the sparkle disappeared.

Have to say, Coventry looked a decent side: organised, compact and quite physical. They certainly didn't come here to lie down, and I think they would be happy with their performance. City had lots more possession and vigour at first, but missed a finish at the business end. Only Harrison's drive registered and that was after a short period of pressure from the visitors - a quick counter with 2v2 is just what City thrive on.

But throughout the game I kept seeing an Aimee Palmer shaped hole in the midfield. So often the defenders would snuff out an attack and then had to improvise a way forward. They were crying out for a link player like Palmer or Ava Kuyken.

With the game ending in a draw, Abi was letting rip in the huddle. Can't really blame her.

Also back to normal was the attendance, a good 400; not the 5,000 at the Gate.

Edited by Erithacus
Additional
  • Like 1

The Coventry coach was not remotely subtle in his instructions to the keeper to sit down and request treatment half way through the second half to enable the whole team to come to the sideline for a drink and to be briefed on the plan for formation following the outfield substitution which happened immediately after the break in play. 

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

But throughout the game I kept seeing an Aimee Palmer shaped hole in the midfield. So often the defenders would snuff out an attack and then had to improvise a way forward. They were crying out for a link player like Palmer or Ava Kuyken.

Shame that Palmer is out injured. She was at the game today but there was no brace on her leg, so at least the recovery is going well.
Kuyken wasn't in the squad today either - I saw her with some tape around her thigh.
On a plus side it was great to see Johnson back after a few games away. I feel that being her subbed off at half time did change the game - assume she's not fully fit to play a full 90 so soon,

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Also back to normal was the attendance, a good 400; not the 5,000 at the Gate.

I was very surprised with the attendance numbers today; especially as I know a few supporters who couldn't make it due to it being Easter Sunday, or that the HPC1 bus wasn't running (or a combination of both)

1 hour ago, Parkwaymom said:

The Coventry coach was not remotely subtle in his instructions to the keeper to sit down and request treatment half way through the second half to enable the whole team to come to the sideline for a drink and to be briefed on the plan for formation following the outfield substitution which happened immediately after the break in play. 

Might have been someone else from their coaching set-up. Coventry's head coach is Jay Bradford, who is female.

However I didn't even notice this at the time of the goalkeeper being told to sit down!

Also, congrats to Abi Harrison for scoring 20 goals in league & cup this season...

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

I was very surprised with the attendance numbers today; especially as I know a few supporters who couldn't make it due to it being Easter Sunday, or that the HPC1 bus wasn't running (or a combination of both)

No doubt that lots of people had other plans for a family Easter Sunday and the transport issues may have stopped more but most of the fans at the Gate do not seem bothered about coming to the HPC. There is only one more game left this season, so we'll find out if the desire is really there.

• Like 1

The women's game is rightly becoming increasingly popular with City having a good season and breaking the championship attendance record. But the popularity in England still has some way to go to match popularity on the continent, especially Spain. Barcelona women had an attendance of 91,648 for their Champions League semi against Wolfsburg, over 90% capacity of the Nou Camp. I look forward to the continued rise of the women's game and the day when City women play in front of more than 23,000 at the Gate. 

• Like 1

I think it will be in everyone's interest to look at the average attendances over a season to get a proper appreciation of the women's game. Important one-offs and internationals are obviously a big draw (with ticket prices set at reasonable levels - the women's game seems to attract more family groups). I am happy to see that attendances are growing overall but we should make sure we have a good perspective on that.

And yes, I'll be at the HPC on Sunday. COYR!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I think it will be in everyone's interest to look at the average attendances over a season to get a proper appreciation of the women's game. Important one-offs and internationals are obviously a big draw (with ticket prices set at reasonable levels - the women's game seems to attract more family groups). I am happy to see that attendances are growing overall but we should make sure we have a good perspective on that.

And yes, I'll be at the HPC on Sunday. COYR!

While the FA decide to play a Euros match at Man City Academy with a capacity of less than 5000, we will remain years behind in our attitude to womens football compared to our continental counterparts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Well this is news I assume no one was expecting. Am aware she hasn't had much game time this season, but this is a huge shock...

From running for the PFA Players Board to retiring just one year later. 

Maybe with the low amount of playing time, a new contract wasn't really on the table? Also finished her studies in the area now so all adds up I guess? Time for real life and play for fun? A shame in your early 20s though. 

Edited by TBW

Bit of a replay of the last game against Coventry: struggled to really get on top of the game and fared badly versus a side that looked sharper and more positive. Again the midfield looked over-run and without the attacking edge that we saw earlier in the season. Linking play from the back to the front was poor. Abi H was a wandering lost soul up the top end of the park and didn't really get a look-in for much of the game. Mel Johnson was too deep to support her and was lost in action at times, playing out of her best position. Give the visitors credit for a solid and well-organised performance, but it was City's game to lose. Too many players were off their game.

Good to see the awards after and perhaps it will shine a light on the coaches, backroom staff and others who put the season in order. All in all it's been a good and encouraging season at the HPC.

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 2