IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

I watched a woman’s game on the tele yesterday, Chelsea v Birmingham. Not particularly entertaining I couldn't put me finger on it first but then after 30 mins I realised there haven’t been one tackle.  It was like watching a training game , some very nice touches, ball retention was good but there was no aggression, no bite and no edge to the game. 
How many times you’ve been watching a game and it’s boring and then some one puts a crunching tackle in and it really gets everyone going. 
I would like to see the woman get in the opponents faces , it’s all to nice . 

56 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I watched a woman’s game on the tele yesterday, Chelsea v Birmingham. Not particularly entertaining I couldn't put me finger on it first but then after 30 mins I realised there haven’t been one tackle.  It was like watching a training game , some very nice touches, ball retention was good but there was no aggression, no bite and no edge to the game. 
How many times you’ve been watching a game and it’s boring and then some one puts a crunching tackle in and it really gets everyone going. 

One sort of counterpoint to that... I watched the latter stages of the women's Champions League and one of the impressive things I noticed (BIG contrast with the men's CL) was there was no diving! It was different from what you saw because there were actually some challenges and physicality was allowed. Like with the lower leagues in men's football. 

It's quite ironic that in the CL, Neymar et al were flinging themselves to ground and yelping at every contact, yet the PSG Women stayed on their feet and didn't 'bitch'!

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Won 4-0 tonight, maybe they are getting themselves together.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's in the league cup against lesser opposition but will no doubt give them lift ahead of some more winnable league games :clapping:

Probably won't play weaker opposition this season, but can only beat what is in front of them.

Two very winnable games ahead now in the league 

20201007_215936.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Villa at home this Sunday. They won 1-0 at home to Sheffield United tonight - that after a 0-6 stuffing by a rampant Everton side last weekend. If the Man City/Arsenal games don't define our season, then these upcoming ones will. It would be great to see that they are 'getting themselves together' now.

• Like 2

• Admin

The game this weekend against Villa has been postponed

Bristol City Women’s Barclays FAWSL fixture against Aston Villa will no longer be played on Sunday, October 11th following discussion and agreement with the FA. 

The fixture which was due to take place on Sunday will no longer be played, due to a positive COVID-19 case in the Aston Villa camp. As a result, our opponents are following the government protocols and isolating to prevent the further spread of the virus.

Whilst we’re disappointed to not fulfil the fixture, the safety of players and staff from both sides remains paramount in these unprecedented times, and we are working with the FA and Aston Villa on a rescheduled fixture date.

Everyone at Bristol City Women wishes all affected at Aston Villa well in their recovery. 

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/robins-fixture-against-villa-postponed/

On 05/10/2020 at 18:56, bs3 said:

You wanted tackles.... you get tackles...

• Like 1

• Admin

Two down to Birmingham at half time. 

Lots of possession but offering so little up front. 

City only playing with one up front and she is completely isolated. 

Carla Humphrey only player offering anything for City at the moment, she was unlucky twice at nil nil with deflections taking her goal bound shots off target. 

Citys shape has to change otherwise this is a winnable game not finished off

• Like 1

Genuine question.

Given how little it would cost Steve Lansdown to support the Women’s team compared to pretty much City, the rugby club and the Flyers, why is it that they always seem to be struggling and their best players going elsewhere? How much are they earning? It can’t be that much and the jump to bringing in some top players must be so much less.

The point is that the national media, particularly the BBC, give a lot more attention to the women’s game than many other parts of “Bristol Sport”, so one might think getting more publicity through a successful women’s team was a cheap way of selling the brand.

4 games, 4 defeats and a minus 19 goal difference (with 10 minutes left of this game) 

It's clear that the City women's team lags badly in the support that other parts of Bristol Sport have enjoyed. 

A serious overhaul is needed on and off the pitch to keep up with the rest of the WSL. It's almost certain at the moment that the Ladies side will be welcoming the likes of Keynsham and MK Don's to Twerton next season. 

If crowds come back to football, how many potential fans are going to drive from Bristol to Bath to watch a Women's National League South Game? Not many I'd bet. 

Edited by Midlands Robin

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Genuine question.

Given how little it would cost Steve Lansdown to support the Women’s team compared to pretty much City, the rugby club and the Flyers, why is it that they always seem to be struggling and their best players going elsewhere? How much are they earning? It can’t be that much and the jump to bringing in some top players must be so much less.

The point is that the national media, particularly the BBC, give a lot more attention to the women’s game than many other parts of “Bristol Sport”, so one might think getting more publicity through a successful women’s team was a cheap way of selling the brand.

I was thinking this watching the game. 

We were largely second best against one of the other worst sides in the league. 

When you look at the quality at the top clubs we're light years away from them.

How can we be in the champions league semi final so recently and dropped away so badly. 

It really needs a cash investment, as mentioned above there's a lot of publicity around the womens game that if Bristol Sport are serious about has to see changes urgently.

The only player that looked decent in the first half (Humphrey) was non existent in the second because of the multiple changes made at half time 

• Like 1

Sounds like a nasty injury to Aimee Palmer. Hope it's not a serious one.

Looking ahead, is this going to put more pressure on Oxtoby? After all, former coach Dave Edmondson was shown the door a while ago. Or is it the club is managing expectations and not looking to be too ambitious? It does seem a lifetime ago that the Vixens were reaching for the title and Europe.

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

How can we be in the champions league semi final so recently and dropped away so badly. 

It really needs a cash investment, as mentioned above there's a lot of publicity around the womens game that if Bristol Sport are serious about has to see changes urgently.

The only player that looked decent in the first half (Humphrey) was non existent in the second because of the multiple changes made at half time 

Is investment in the Women`s team an allowable expense for FFP?

19 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is investment in the Women`s team an allowable expense for FFP?

No idea. But even then the amounts wouldn’t be huge. If relegated, I wouldn’t imagine that they would get promoted any time soon. Not staying in the WPL would be such a missed opportunity when we should be looking to encourage girls locally into the game and supporting the club overall, both men’s and women’s teams.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phantom said:

embarrassment to the name of Bristol City... how is Oxtoby still in a job?

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

embarrassment to the name of Bristol City... how is Oxtoby still in a job?

Seems obvious from the outside she is being asked to compete at the top level without the necessary funds to do so.

Clear that there are leagues within leagues in women’s football & City are by far the lowest funded, SL pretty much admitted this in his lengthy pre season interview.

In which case the coach, who kept them up against the odds in similar circumstances last season, is on a hiding to nothing.

• Like 1

• Admin
30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Clear that there are leagues within leagues in women’s football & City are by far the lowest funded, SL pretty much admitted this in his lengthy pre season interview.

Birmingham are one of the few teams we're on a competitive par with, that today was awful. 

You have to ask yourself why we aren't investing in the team. 

Like the rugby compared to our men's team the money needed is a tiny fraction 

• Like 1

And if to rub in the impression that Bristol Sport is missing a trick...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/oct/19/womens-football-is-growing-but-can-the-fa-keep-pace-with-demand

It does seem bizarre that SL is not investing even a small amount more in this as it provides a way of getting Bristol Sport more widely known. Plus it does look somewhat sexist if the men’s clubs are being well resourced compared to the competition at their level, yet the women’s team seems to be getting way many in their league, with results in line with that.

• Like 2

Third goal, was it a cross or a shot? ?

But a few years ago the woman's team managed to win (lots of 1-0's from memory) games like this, after losing 3-1 against Arsenal I would have hoped for a closer scoreline there. Wonder if Arsenal played a weakened team at all for that game, think they played Man City a few days before or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

And if to rub in the impression that Bristol Sport is missing a trick...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/oct/19/womens-football-is-growing-but-can-the-fa-keep-pace-with-demand

It does seem bizarre that SL is not investing even a small amount more in this as it provides a way of getting Bristol Sport more widely known. Plus it does look somewhat sexist if the men’s clubs are being well resourced compared to the competition at their level, yet the women’s team seems to be getting way many in their league, with results in line with that.

To be fair to Bristol Sport they have had a PL team for many years (before a lot of other teams jumped on the bandwagon) and except for Reading and Birmingham I would expect all the other teams to invest more if we are being equal. And it's not Steve Lansdown's fault that they keep giving poor goals away.