IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

15 hours ago, frenchred said:

Which would probably equate to national league south?

A different game, why is that important? Technically a lot of female players are as good as many male players, it's only the physical side they would struggle with.

No one criticises female athletes, swimmers, cyclists etc because they can't match the physicality of their male counterparts, they appreciate how good they are compared to others of their own gender.

• Like 4

On 06/11/2020 at 17:30, DaveInSA said:

Just how, exactly do you think men's football improved?

Back in the days of the amateur, it was rubbish. The pitches were mud baths. They had 9 forwards. And basically shoved the keeper across the line when he caught the ball near the goals.

Then came the professional era, money, coaching, tactics and now we've got grass measurement, drones and all sorts of stuff to deliver the "fine margins" for victory. This has taken DECADES.

Yes, women's football doesn't have the physicality of men's football nor the speed. But the games I've watched there's skill on show and they love the game. Women's football is a relatively new game, it will take investment to improve it. And as a father of two girls i'd love them to play at any level.

and the only reason it inst as developed is because it was suppressed by men. Its so important on so many levels that that this is allowed to grow and has investment, I am pleased my club seems to be doing that

• Like 4

I've watched Bristol City Ladies for the past three seasons and there's many signs of improvement there if one wants to look for them. 

This season, the results have been disappointing but we are five games into the campaign and strange results haven't been confined to the women's game (see Man United v Spurs and Aston Villa v Liverpool). They've played the teams in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th so far.

While Chelsea thrashed them 9-0, they only lost 3-1 to Arsenal, the third goal on 86 minutes. Everton (managed by City Women's previous boss Willie Kirk) have improved big time this season and beat the City Women 4-0 while Man City on Saturday took full advantage of a side missing five players due to self isolating. The only game you can logically say they stood a hope of winning IMO was Birmingham and everything went wrong that could have that day. Palmer (the girl with the dislocated knee) was taken out by a poor tackle from Christie Murray who three minutes later, won and converted a penalty to make it 4-0. A bad day at the office admittedly but maybe it's best to judge City when they play more of the teams around them rather than Premier League sides that are given multiple times the money that City get.

Edited to add: The Man City game on Saturday afternoon came after they travelled up on the day, having not got back from the Crystal Palace away cup tie till nearly midnight on Thursday. No wonder they had no chance.

Edited by Hengrovian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Don't for a minute believe the women's team are comparable to a National League South side. 

The Swedish national team lost to a Swedish Premier League sides U18:s.

You have to go far lower in the divisions.

I agree with people who say it doesn’t matter but you are also correct.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Do we for example have this debate when women play golf or tennis?

There is similar debate about women's tennis and prize money, but there doesn't seem to be quite the same quality gulf as there is in Football or Rugby. You'd expect peak Venus or Serena Williams to beat most u18 English boys players for example. Interestingly women's tennis is held in fairly high esteem (compared to men's vs women's football).

Not sure what following they have back in the UK or how many watch them play. I love looking at the Bristol City progress. This week city 2 spurs 2. Chloe Logarzo only 25 years old scored and is a great prospect for the club, came from Sydney in oz and has great potential. The other City goal was from Ebony Salmon.  I hope they receive the support back in the UK they deserve. 

Not sure if they play at BS3 or another home venue ? 

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

Not sure what following they have back in the UK or how many watch them play. I love looking at the Bristol City progress. This week city 2 spurs 2. Chloe Logarzo only 25 years old scored and is a great prospect for the club, came from Sydney in oz and has great potential. The other City goal was from Ebony Salmon.  I hope they receive the support back in the UK they deserve. 

Not sure if they play at BS3 or another home venue ? 

They receive a reasonable bit of coverage and backing here. Sadly they now play their home games at Twerton Park (ex- Bristol Rovers potato field) so I'd imagine not many people wishing to travel that far in the current climate (assuming spectators were allowed).

Used to see them when they played in Bristol, an entertaining Sunday afternoon, 20 minutes up the motorway!

• The title was changed to Bristol City Women and The WSL

Shocking news that the two teams have taken the decision to apply the boot at this time. If they were men's teams it might be seen in a more predictable light, but the WSL is not that kind of environment - up to now, that is! Beard has a history of success with Liverpool not so long ago, so his departure is a bit more of a surprise. Clearly the pressure for achievment is growing more.

Could these moves give City women a bit of encouragement? There are precious few points among the bottom clubs at the moment so the turmoil might be an advantage.

And I'll be the first to say 'Job for Cotts/LJ/Phil Neville... to get that out of the way.

• Like 1