IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

A real test of the girls' mettle, and back to Twerton. It will show Beard who has the appetite for the fight for the rest of the season.

Elsewhere, West Ham take on Birmingham and Villa are home to Brighton - both could be key games.

COYR! COYV!

• Like 1

Not so bad as some might have predicted and the stats seem to show it wasn't all one-way traffic. Cause for optimism?

Crucially, Villa lost as well but the Hammers earned a 2-2 draw. That lifts them up on GD with City back on the bottom, Villa a point above. The bottom five teams are now separated by just 4 points. It's going to be a desperate end to this season.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Not so bad as some might have predicted and the stats seem to show it wasn't all one-way traffic. Cause for optimism?

Crucially, Villa lost as well but the Hammers earned a 2-2 draw. That lifts them up on GD with City back on the bottom, Villa a point above. The bottom five teams are now separated by just 4 points. It's going to be a desperate end to this season.

Tottenham and Birmingham both away next two Sundays 

Screenshot_20210317-214212_BBC Sport.jpg

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12251188/coronavirus-government-hands-out-680000-grant-to-help-six-womens-football-clubs

"Six women's football clubs have been handed grants totalling £680,000 from the Government's sport winter survival package.

WSL clubs Birmingham City Women and Bristol City Women, along with second-tier Women's Championship teams Blackburn Rovers Ladies, Lewes FC Women, London Bees and London City Lionesses will receive the funding, taking the Government's total support for women's football to £2.9m.

The money will help cover the lack of spectators, allowing the clubs to complete their seasons."

Don't know if it's a coincidence that all the clubs listed are either independent, or don't have their respective men's team play in the Premier League.
The other WSL club that doesn't have their men's team in the Premier League is Reading.
I believe all teams in the WSL & Championship are subject to the winter survival package, but it's interesting to see City Women & these other five clubs stand out

• Like 1

Also, does anyone know what Steve Lansdown said in the Robins TV build-up (and other) coverage of the Conti Cup Final?
I couldn't watch it as it clashed with the Zoom watchalong.

Mainly asking as I came across this Sky Sports article which has quoted this:

"Chelsea Women is "a critical part of Chelsea and shapes who we are as a club," Abramovich has told Forbes in a rare interview.
"I see no reason why clubs wouldn't want to support women's football and provide the best possible opportunity for them to succeed," he said.

• Like 1

An interesting decision. Just who made it and were they part of an independent government department or a football insider? It is a highly political move that has highlighted the uneven financial playing field we have at the top of the women's game. What do the excluded teams make of it?

I guess it works out to about £100,000 for City. Useful but not a game-changer.

On 20/03/2021 at 12:05, Erithacus said:

An interesting decision. Just who made it and were they part of an independent government department or a football insider? It is a highly political move that has highlighted the uneven financial playing field we have at the top of the women's game. What do the excluded teams make of it?

Probably seen as the fact that, at least in the WSL, City have apparently struggled the most with finances.
At least the Conti Cup Final prize money, whatever that amount is, will also be a boost, as well as selling Chloe Logarzo to Kansas City in the NWSL during the January transfer window

Just watched the first half, first time I've watched our women play. Our front players look handy, our defenders win plenty of ball but have no idea what to do with it (mostly just give it back to the opposition), midfield is just non-existent. Plenty of effort but our girls don't seem capable of stringing 3 passes together. Salmon feeding off scraps all the time.

Contrast with Spurs players who look up and pick a pass, fortunately for our girls Spurs have no quality up front.

We are still in the game, and maybe we can get lucky that one of our hit and hope forward balls can be latched onto. 

33 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Set pieces do work. The skipper pops up for a corner and heads one in! Game on.

1-1

Salmon then smashes a 20-yard volley onto the post. Fraction away.

Tons of endeavour, precious little quality from our girls, but 1-1 a fair result. Couple of very good saves from our keeper 2nd half too.

• Like 1

Great to see Salmon & Evans back after missing the Man City game. What a header from Evans!

At least we're off the bottom of the table now.

Next game is away to Birmingham next Sunday. But before then, I'm about to record the next episode of Vixencast...

Screenshot_20210321-160503.png

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

• Admin
7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Our front players look handy

The more I watch the more I'm convinced our front players can't play together. 

They always seem on completely different wavelengths and rarely pass to each other.

It's a shame because they are individually very decent 

6 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Sorry totally new to this thread, so I imagine this has already been asked but... how/where can I watch the Womens' team matches?

Welcome aboard!
You can download the app or visit this link. It's completely free
https://faplayer.thefa.com/home/all

Also, if you are a podcast fan, feel free to listen/subscribe to Bristol City Vixencast

Edited by shahanshahan

On 20/03/2021 at 23:05, Erithacus said:

I think it's disgracefully embarassing that the 998th richest man on the Planet accepts a £100,000 handout from the Govt, when people are using foodbanks.

If SL want's a Womens Team, then pay for it, not get Govt handouts.

SL earns more than that in interest a day.

Pretty sure that money could have been used in a better way, than propping up a Football club owned by a multi-billionaire

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Big move for the game! Sky Sports will replace BT as the main broadcaster, and there will be games on BBC One/Two as opposed to the red button/iPlayer.
Hopefully City will be able to take advantage of this from next season ?

The stakes have now got even higher to stay in the WSL

• Like 1

• Admin
  • 22 live matches on BBC TV, including a minimum of 18 on BBC One and BBC Two (remaining matches on the Red Button and online)
  • Up to 44 live matches, with a minimum of 35, shown on Sky Sports Football, Premier League and Main Event channels
  • Selected fixtures will also be simulcast on Sky One and Sky Sports Mix
  • All broadcasters will have rights to online coverage, in-play clips and highlights (WSL clubs also have rights to in-play clips and highlights)
  • Remaining matches not selected for broadcast shown live on FA Player
  • There will be one free-to-air game on BBC every weekend, with Sky having two other picks
  • Selected matches expected to be scheduled on Friday 18:30 GMT, Saturday 11:30 GMT, Sunday 12:30 GMT and Sunday 18:30 GMT
  • 75% of investment revenue to go to WSL clubs, 25% to the Women's Championship

19 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Great to see Salmon & Evans back after missing the Man City game. What a header from Evans!

At least we're off the bottom of the table now.

Next game is away to Birmingham next Sunday. But before then, I'm about to record the next episode of Vixencast...

Screenshot_20210321-160503.png

The only problem for city is West Ham and villa have to play each other twice so one or both will definitely gain points

On 20/03/2021 at 12:05, Erithacus said:

Its not supposed to be a game changer, its just supposed to cover what would have normally been income to allow the club to run properly. You're probably not seeing womens teams of mens PL clubs getting hand outs as the govt would look at how the clubs of the mens PL teams receive hundreds of million each year from the PL while we get far, far less as a championship club.

1 hour ago, phantom said:
  • 22 live matches on BBC TV, including a minimum of 18 on BBC One and BBC Two (remaining matches on the Red Button and online)
  • Up to 44 live matches, with a minimum of 35, shown on Sky Sports Football, Premier League and Main Event channels
  • Selected fixtures will also be simulcast on Sky One and Sky Sports Mix
  • All broadcasters will have rights to online coverage, in-play clips and highlights (WSL clubs also have rights to in-play clips and highlights)
  • Remaining matches not selected for broadcast shown live on FA Player
  • There will be one free-to-air game on BBC every weekend, with Sky having two other picks
  • Selected matches expected to be scheduled on Friday 18:30 GMT, Saturday 11:30 GMT, Sunday 12:30 GMT and Sunday 18:30 GMT
  • 75% of investment revenue to go to WSL clubs, 25% to the Women's Championship

Why do I have the feeling the bad decisions from the mens game won't have been learnt and all this will do is see a wider gap then already seen between the top clubs and the rest?