IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

On 02/05/2022 at 15:25, shahanshahan said:

Thanks for the question.

Nope, just a genuine fan, and I don't work for the club. Been a fan of the City men's team since the 2000s (hence my profile pic being with Scott Murray from 2008), and discovered the women's team that way. Was also interesting for me anyway to see a City team play in a top division (the WSL), as I wasn't even born when City men were in the old First Division (I'm 33).

I joined the Supporters Club & Trust board in January 2020 with my main duty to represent the interests of City Women fans, but as a fan of the men's team too I also discuss with the board on matters affecting all sets of supporters. I also help out with the social media hence why the SC&T has had more of an online presence. If you look at my username, it has "ST Board Member" underneath it 

I initially joined OTIB in February 2021 to promote the Vixencast, a fan podcast that I joined that season, however also realised that this particular thread didn't have regular updates. I do comment on posts regarding the men's team & games too, but mostly if someone else hasn't already said what I was going to say already (which is rare). It's great to see other users on here post on this thread, so am glad the conversation is continuing.

I started writing for the OTIB Fanzine this season about the women's team, to help spread the word - especially as the team are playing back in Bristol after a season away in Bath. Again, I could also comment about the men's team, but there is nothing new I could write which none of the other writers have already done so.

I also appear occasionally on Sound of the City with Geoff Twentyman to talk about the women's team. I could also talk about the men's team but as of yet I've yet to be asked!

Whether it's the men, women, or academy, I support the club & the badge. I am glad that there's been more of an integration between both teams, and a "one club" mentality from the club, but I feel that fans can also get involved in that way.

Thanks for the reply , inspiring to read .

Hopefully the future is bright 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2022 at 21:26, Davefevs said:

Just read it. He’s been helping Lauren Smith too - but of mentoring.

Some might think it’s irrelevant, but I think it shows up Nige is a very good light.

Who appointed Lauren Smith?  Serious question.  

For a comparison, the Bristol Bears Women's coach was appointed by Pat Lam.  

On 02/05/2022 at 12:54, shahanshahan said:

With the many additions this season; it wasn't always announced how long their contracts for; especially as one-season contracts are still common in women's football.

That being said, Satara Murray has posted on her Instagram that she appears to be leaving.
Club haven't confirmed it yet, but will be a huge miss if this is the case

When she was first announced, there was no mention of how long her contract was
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/murray-is-a-robin/
FRwCrRgXEAUp_mu?format=jpg&name=large

The 2 games I've seen she was easily the best player on the pitch.  Clearly up to playing at a higher level.  I guess she'll be in the WSL next season.

5 hours ago, The Bard said:

Who appointed Lauren Smith?  Serious question.  

For a comparison, the Bristol Bears Women's coach was appointed by Pat Lam.  

The 2 games I've seen she was easily the best player on the pitch.  Clearly up to playing at a higher level.  I guess she'll be in the WSL next season.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smith-returns-as-interim-head-coach/

Assume Gavin Marshall led the interview stuff?

• Like 1

Speaking of fixtures, Man City & Birmingham played their re-arranged fixture tonight. Man City won 6-0, and as such, Birmingham can no longer catch up with Leicester City in the table.
Therefore, Birmingham will be playing Championship football next season

11/12 teams confirmed for next season:
Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Bristol City
Charlton Athletic
Coventry United
Crystal Palace
Durham
Lewes
London City Lionesses
Sheffield United
Sunderland

Southampton FC or Wolverhampton Wanderers will get promoted depending on who wins the National League Play-Off Final later this month

On 03/05/2022 at 22:34, phantom said:

I only just realised that Coventry United stayed up, considering at one point they were completely finished, then had a ten point deduction they did amazing to survive, and what a way to do it with a 97th minute winner 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/61309594

Went to this game at Vicarage Road.

In 50 years of watching football, that is right up there as one of THE most amazing finishes I've ever seen. If the free kick had gone wide/over, the ref would have blown for time straight after the goal kick and Watford would have stayed up with Coventry dropping down. 

As it was, it flew into the top corner and Coventry won. That said, Watford hit the bar in the time added on to the stoppage time, hearts in mouths time again. At least two ex-City players play for Coventry in the shape of Charlie Estcourt and Liv Fergusson. 

• Like 3

Quick question, probably for @shahanshahan?

How does it work with Player's contracts in the Woman's game?

I'm guessing at Championship level, there are no real transfer fees as such; and player's pretty much have the freedom to move if approached by a team say in the WSL?

I only ask really in relation to Abi Harrision. Surely a WSL team will take a chance on her next season?

Given how well the City team have performed this season, is it not beyond the realms of reason that other players will also get poached. Just like what happened when we were relegated.

Would be a shame to start next season with a whole new team once again. 

Neil.  It is why most contracts are a year.  Harrison is an exception, and I guess if someone did try to poach her this summer, we’d expect financial compensation (transfer fee).  But she was happy to sign an extension (plus option - might be linked to promotion) so I would imagine she’s happy here.

• Like 3

• Admin

Five first team players will leave the Robins this summer.

Defender Satara Murry will leave City following the conclusion of the 2021/22 FA Championship season after making the journey across the Altantic to link up with Lauren Smith’s Robins in the summer of 2021.

The Jamaican international was an experienced and inspirational figure for many in the young City squad, making 24 appearances across the campaign at the heart of the defence.

Chelsea-loanee Aggie Beever-Jones will return to her parent club following a fantastic year of service in the City shirt.

Beever-Jones made 27 appearances as the forward featured in all but one of Bristol City’s fixtures across the entire 2021/22 season, scoring eight goals.

The forward’s form for the Robins was translated onto the international stage. Beever-Jones shone when on duty with the England Under-19s as they secured their spot at the Under-19 UEFA European Championships this summer.

Izzy Cook and Maisy Collis will also depart having progressed through the club’s player pathway system and into the first team squad over the last two seasons.

Simran Jhamat leaves the club after one season in the South West, making a total of 12 appearances and scoring two goals.

Everyone associated with the club would like to thank all five players for their contributions and wish them well in the future.

• Sad 1

Murray departure finally confirmed by the club, nine days later. Beever-Jones going back to Chelsea not surprising, but no mention about Bentley...

Sad to see Jhamat, Collis & Cook leave. They didn't get a lot of game time overall this season, and I'm sure Collis was injured for a while...