IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

Melissa Johnson has left City
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/johnson-departs-robins/

Article says she is "to explore options away from the club".
There was no details of contract length when she joined last summer; so can assume she was only on a one-year contract.

Am surprised she's gone; I thought City could have been the one club where she stayed for longer than a season!
Good luck for her in the future

• Admin
1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Was impressed with Coventry when they played recently. Is that club still viable? If not, or the situation is not stable, then there will be plenty of players on the move.

@shahanshahan is the expert but I thought the rescue package last season guaranteed their long term survival

4 hours ago, phantom said:

@shahanshahan is the expert but I thought the rescue package last season guaranteed their long term survival

That's what I believe. However, their head coach Jay Bradford left the club soon after the season ended, and assistant Jo Potter has joined Birmingham to be assistant head coach there; so am not sure what to expect from Coventry this season

Also, thanks for calling me an expert! ?

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

Saw Abi Harrison share this on her IG story, but she's appeared on the "Matchfit Football Podcast" to talk about her youth career, ACL injury in 2019, playing at City & for her country.
If you're interested, you can watch below or find it on podcast platforms. Seemed like an alright listen; found some things that I wasn't aware of

(Speaking of Scotland; they've qualified for the play-offs for next year's Women's World Cup after Ukraine beat Hungary in their group tonight
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-secure-fifa-women-s-world-cup-play-off-spot-with-a-game-to-spare/?rid=13925)

Edited by shahanshahan

On 28/06/2022 at 15:57, Erithacus said:

Was impressed with Coventry when they played recently. Is that club still viable? If not, or the situation is not stable, then there will be plenty of players on the move.

So things have developed further at Coventry United. The club have announced that they're going back to being part-time. Emma Sanders has tweeted elsewhere that this could mean some players/staff would have to leave to free up finances...

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Not sure why it took so long, but it's finally been confirmed. Fran Bentley has signed on a two year deal, following her loan. And looking at the reveal video, will wear #1 that was previously worn by Sophie Whitehouse.

Contract end dates probably.

• Like 1

Had a suspicion that Coventry were in a bit of flux. Don't think they have any connection with Coventry City, so are on their own. Could there be a chance to pick up one or two prospects?

And great news that Fran is going to be between the sticks again. Real feather in City's cap, that.:clap:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Had a suspicion that Coventry were in a bit of flux. Don't think they have any connection with Coventry City, so are on their own. Could there be a chance to pick up one or two prospects?

And great news that Fran is going to be between the sticks again. Real feather in City's cap, that.:clap:

I think they're completely on their own which is probably part of the reason why they're in such a financial state.

I'd take Mollie Green, scorer of that iconic 97th minute winner that saved the club on the final day at Watford, and possibly Katie Wilkinson too, the captain. They've also got former City stars Charlie Estcourt & Olivia Fergusson too.

It's quite sad that after that extraordinary finish to the last campaign, a lot of the good feeling and momentum seems to have been lost albeit by making a decision that in the medium to long term, should be the right one. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 22:10, shahanshahan said:

So things have developed further at Coventry United. The club have announced that they're going back to being part-time. Emma Sanders has tweeted elsewhere that this could mean some players/staff would have to leave to free up finances...

I’m not sure that’s the best form of sign off

43 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I think they're completely on their own which is probably part of the reason why they're in such a financial state.

I'd take Mollie Green, scorer of that iconic 97th minute winner that saved the club on the final day at Watford, and possibly Katie Wilkinson too, the captain. They've also got former City stars Charlie Estcourt & Olivia Fergusson too.

It's quite sad that after that extraordinary finish to the last campaign, a lot of the good feeling and momentum seems to have been lost albeit by making a decision that in the medium to long term, should be the right one. 

I thought they were a really good team, with some talented players when we played them at Coventry. 

Some time back now, so maybe those players have moved on. 

I actually bumped into Frankie Brown (with Grace Williams) at a book event recently; and this was kept quiet... ?

"Brown, a research fellow at the University of Bath, investigating the role of exercise and immune function in people living with cancer, joins chair Gavin Marshall, Richard Gould, Lisa Knights, Kevin Hamblin, Rosie Hadrill and Mike Jones on the Women’s Board"

• Like 1

Another reason for the league to be expanded! There are also Conti Cup group games that need to be announced, as well as the international breaks.

Seems a coincidence that for the second season in a row, the first & last games are both away. Coventry United away should be interesting; I wasn't able to make that ground last season as that game got moved to a Monday night for no real reason

Fixtures in full, for those that can't really see the pic...

AUGUST

Sun, 21st - Coventry United v Bristol City 
Sun, 28th - Bristol City  v Blackburn Rovers

SEPTEMBER

Sun, 11th - London City Lionesses v Bristol City
Sun, 18th - Bristol City v Sunderland
Sun, 25th - Bristol City  v Southampton FC

OCTOBER

Sun, 16th - Sheffield United v Bristol City 
Sun, 23rd - Bristol City  v Crystal Palace
Sun, 30th - Charlton Athletic v Bristol City 

NOVEMBER