IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

News that I missed yesterday while I was on my way to Southampton, but 17-year-old academy goalkeeper Erin Foley (who only made 1 senior appearance last season) has been loaned out to non-league Larkhall Athletic for the season. Hopefully she gets a lot of gametime; I don't think she'd get much or any with Fran Bentley or Liv Clark being in goal...

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Anita Asante announced as joining the coaching staff!
Recently retired from playing; but also does media work - and is currently doing as such with BBC for the Euros...
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/asante-becomes-city-coach/

Looks a great acquisition to me, great experience and a name that will attract players.

• Like 1

Interesting appointment. Seems previous work with Lauren Smith was key in attracting her to the club. Obviously Asante has a long playing career at club and international level, as well as experience abroad. Just wondering what her coaching qualifications are. Could be this club is beginning to put a real effort into the Women's side.

• Like 1

As someone who has minimal knowledge of the women's game, I'd be intrigued to know whether our squad is seen to have been strengthened with the recent signings? Have we simply signed promising youngsters?

Also, are there any objective outside sources commenting on prospects for the new season?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Leveller said:

As someone who has minimal knowledge of the women's game, I'd be intrigued to know whether our squad is seen to have been strengthened with the recent signings? Have we simply signed promising youngsters?

Also, are there any objective outside sources commenting on prospects for the new season?

The oldest of the new signings is Chloe Mustaki, who turns 27 next week. She's done great things in her native Ireland

Signing Fran Bentley permanently is promising. But I feel Liv Clark (who seems to be the in-out replacement for Sophie Whitehouse will give competition).

Shania Hayles is only 22 but had a huge impact for Villa a while ago.

Transfer window is still open until the start of September, I believe. Am not sure what the actual budget is, but at least this season we won't have the likes of Liverpool to compete with in the league

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2022 at 21:42, shahanshahan said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/davies-signs-deal-with-city-women/

News today that Gwen Davies signed her first (professional) contract with the club, and remains until the end of the season, with an option of a year extension after that.
Didn't realise that when she first joined over the summer from the Welsh leagues, it was on a non-contract basis - this may explain why she wasn't initially announced at the time.

Club announced today that she's left the club, as her deal ended. Either she wasn't offered a new deal, or chose not to sign & is going elsewhere 

On 19/07/2022 at 13:40, shahanshahan said:

Anita Asante announced as joining the coaching staff!
Recently retired from playing; but also does media work - and is currently doing as such with BBC for the Euros...
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/asante-becomes-city-coach/

And appears on Question of Sport on BBC1 tonight at 8.00.

• Like 1

City's first pre-season result made public, by the club they beat!
1-0 win over Leicester yesterday thanks to a Ffion Morgan goal.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2700389/city-tackle-bristol-city-women-at-belvoir-drive

All of their pre-season games have been behind closed doors, which seems to be a common occurrence in the game. At least the game against Reading next Sunday will be in front of fans

50 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I don't think there will ever be a better time to try and generate interest after the fantastic tournament England have just had.It would certainly be an opportunity missed not to give it a try.

Yes, now is the time. Between City and Bears there’s only 4 games on in September so would probably be a good month in that respect