IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

I note the club has moved to celebrate the Lionesses' victory in the Euros by knocking 15% off the ticket price for the girls' first five games, inlcuding the match v Southampton at the Gate.  :winner_third_h4h: :englandflag:

May be related to the England win. Or it could be that the City's Women should have a decent chance of gaining promotion back to the Premier League. With the relegated side being Birmingham, they will probably not be able to bounce straight back. Although we did lose to Saints in FA Cup last season so need to beat them for a good start.

• Like 1

Note the women's team seem to have signed 6 players, do they expect to be genuine challengers for top place this season?

From a commercial/business viewpoint would have thought, after Englands triumph, now was the time to invest in them. From the few games I saw last season, 2 or 3 players with a bit of quality would make all the difference. 

If there is going to be a boom in the women's game, you can bet that the WSL will monopolise things, just the Premier League has done. So the ladies could really do with getting back in it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Note the women's team seem to have signed 6 players, do they expect to be genuine challengers for top place this season?

From a commercial/business viewpoint would have thought, after Englands triumph, now was the time to invest in them. From the few games I saw last season, 2 or 3 players with a bit of quality would make all the difference. 

If there is going to be a boom in the women's game, you can bet that the WSL will monopolise things, just the Premier League has done. So the ladies could really do with getting back in it. 

On paper, two or three (maybe more) look like upgrades, so I think it is a bit of “progression” expectation. We will see. Need someone to take the goal scoring pressure off of Harrison, so hopefully Hayles will help in that regards.

what do you think @shahanshahan?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On paper, two or three (maybe more) look like upgrades, so I think it is a bit of “progression” expectation. We will see. Need someone to take the goal scoring pressure off of Harrison, so hopefully Hayles will help in that regards.

what do you think @shahanshahan?

To quote @Shtanley "Well said"

At least we've been able to keep most of our core team this season

Some numbers yet to be filled...

The Robins have unveiled their squad numbers ahead of the 2022/23 Barclays Women's Championship season.

New arrivals Elysia Boddy, Shania Hayles will line up wearing number 8 and 9 respectively, while Jodie Hutton will take number 11.

Defender Chloe Mustaki takes the vacant number 12, with new goalkeeper Olivia Clark wearing 13 and Erin Foley shifting to 25.

City's signing from North Carolina Vicky Bruce will wear number 14, while Emily Syme lines up in number 16. 

Fran Bentley is the Robins' new number one after arriving on a permanent basis this summer, with Chloe Bull shifting to number 10 and Jasmine Bull taking 15.

1. Fran Bentley 
2. Ella Powell
3. Lia Cataldo 
4. Naomi Layzell
5. Brooke Aspin
6. Aimee Palmer
7. Abi Harrison
8. Elysia Boddy
9. Shania Hayles
10. Chloe Bull
11. Jodie Hutton
12. Chloe Mustaki
13. Olivia Clark
14. Vicky Bruce
15. Jasmine Bull
16. Emily Syme 
20. Maddi Wilde
22. Lily Greenslade 
24. Ffion Morgan
25. Erin Foley
27. Jesse Woolley 

2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Just a shame yesterday at AG that someone decided to tell Lauren Smith that women belong in the kitchen and not at the football.

Statement from the men's team:

“We wholly condemn such abuse. This behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at Ashton Gate. We fully support Lauren Smith and are proud of our women’s team.”

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Statement from the men's team:

“We wholly condemn such abuse. This behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at Ashton Gate. We fully support Lauren Smith and are proud of our women’s team.”

You'd hope it was an attempt at a very misguided joke, but I fear not. These people still seem to exist.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

You'd hope it was an attempt at a very misguided joke, but I fear not. These people still seem to exist.

Sounds exactly the sort of thing my dad would say as a joke, oblivious to the fact that the worlds long since moved on and not everyone wants to share a joke with a stranger. 

Me & my friends/regular supporters stood at a different side of the stand to try out something new. Think it may have worked (all the goals were in front of us)

Reading scored first with an assist by ex-City player Charlie Wellings to NI international Lauren Wade. Abi Harrison got a goal back in the second half, but the best moment was when 16 year old academy product Tianna Teisar was brought down in the box, scored the penalty & ran to us with a knee slide!

With Aimee Palmer still injured, Elysia Boddy & Emily Syme are forming a great partnership in midfield.  Noticed Chloe Bull om the sidelines who is out injured but should be back in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Fantastic result - surprised with Reading's performance too. Good to see ex-City players Faye Bryson, Gemma Evans & Lily Woodham all feature

DSC_9793.JPG

DSC_9795.JPG

DSC_9796.JPG

DSC_9797.JPG

DSC_9798.JPG

DSC_9800.JPG

DSC_9801.JPG

DSC_9803.JPG

DSC_9804.JPG

DSC_9807.JPG

DSC_9810.JPG

DSC_9811.JPG

DSC_9812.JPG

DSC_9813.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Me & my friends/regular supporters stood at a different side of the stand to try out something new. Think it may have worked (all the goals were in front of us)

Reading scored first with an assist by ex-City player Charlie Wellings to NI international Lauren Wade. Abi Harrison got a goal back in the second half, but the best moment was when 16 year old academy product Tianna Teisar was brought down in the box, scored the penalty & ran to us with a knee slide!

With Aimee Palmer still injured, Elysia Boddy & Emily Syme are forming a great partnership in midfield.  Noticed Chloe Bull om the sidelines who is out injured but should be back in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Fantastic result - surprised with Reading's performance too. Good to see ex-City players Faye Bryson, Gemma Evans & Lily Woodham all feature

DSC_9793.JPG

DSC_9795.JPG

DSC_9796.JPG

DSC_9797.JPG

DSC_9798.JPG

DSC_9800.JPG

DSC_9801.JPG

DSC_9803.JPG

DSC_9804.JPG

DSC_9807.JPG

DSC_9810.JPG

DSC_9811.JPG

DSC_9812.JPG

DSC_9813.JPG

Welcome to the East End of the the stand. Does have it downsides. Come Autumn when the sun is setting to the west, it's almost impossible to follow the City's first half attacks. You need a few cloud dances in your repotoire. 

Attendance was 403 (for the pedants among us!).

Came up as a last minute decision and glad I did as I got to meet @shahanshahanagain which is always a Brucie bonus. Thoughts on the game? Very impressive display by City particularly in the first half; think Shania Hayles is an upgrade on Mel Johnson and I like the look of the Boddy/Syme axis in midfield. Mustaki looked decent and Brooke Aspin had another good game at the back. Abi Harrison was, well, Abi Harrison and rattled in another unstoppable shot from the edge of the box.

Second half was a bit disjoined with players going off then coming back on again in different positions but all in all, worth a fiver of my hard earned to see the slightly new look Robins. Lauren Smith is a very, very good manager, extremely under rated too, I'm glad she's our manager. 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2022 at 14:05, shahanshahan said:

Speaking of signings, another one announced! Emily Syme was previously with the club as a youngster, but then went to play professionally for Yeovil, Aston Villa & Sheffield United.

I have noticed that a lot of these deals are for one year, is that more common in the Women's game?

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

Who did the women play in pre season? 

Reading last Sunday.

All other games were behind closed doors and against National League sides Plymouth & Wolves at home, then WSL side Leicester away. City beat Leicester 1-0. The other games were apparently wins but details not released

• Thanks 1