IGNORED

How many from this team would be selected today?

Norn Iron

Flicking through the channels an hour ago and I came across a certain City match, so I decided I had to suffer and watch.

This is the first time I've watched any version of that game since I was there etc..

It begs the question, hence the above title. Obviously, I'm not referring to their current age! Who would get into our current team, assuming our head coach had a best starting 11?

IMG-20200113-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20200113-WA0002.jpeg

Good post. That will wind a few up with opinions.? My take is the following would be in today’s side from that team

Adebola over Fam any day of the week (even though he was at end of career with us)

ORR over Hunt at RB

Trundle over AW.  

Elliott was a great midfielder but never recovered after that injury and the legend Carey. Would he push Kalas , Baker, Williams out of our current 11.  Suspect not...

Basso, he was probably the best keeper outside of the Premier League that year. 

Carey, think some people underrate him sometimes. Him and Amougou kept us up about 6 years later and he was about 50 years old at that point. Performance at Forest away (display pic) was outstanding.

Orr would, have we had a better right back since?

That seasons Marv certainly would, he was SO good. A lot of Prem interest in him iirc. 

Noble on his day was unplayable. 

In a 4-4-2 I’d go...

Bentley

Orr - Carey - Kalas - DaSilva

Eliasson - Elliott - Brownhill - McIndoe

Weimann - Adebola

Surprised myself with 5 from one team, 6 from the other, but a bit of logic:

- Carey has to be CH based on that season. Nobody we have currently is performing to that level

- The balance between full backs/wide men is right. McIndoe put a real shift in defensively and would allow JD to overlap, on the other side you have Orrs solidity making up for the naturally more attacking, but still able to work back, Elliasson

- Midfield. Ignore his subsequent drop off. Marvin Elliott was phenomenal that year. Better performances than any midfielder we currently have has managed consistently for a season. The other choice is Brownhill based on the ability Marv would give him to go box to box but if he’d been fit and firing, Korey would be close

- Up front. Adebola played the big man role consistently better than Fam. And he might be able to play with Weimann (!). AW would be replaced by a fit Afobe, but again, basing on balance and consistency, probably AW currently. However, tells a story that the position where I’m forcing people in as opposed to making a choice from a strong group is up front both in 2007-8 and now...

Thanks for all the replies so far. All are thoughtful including the Major's who gives praise to the coaches. Personally, I flew with Easyjet and then used the tube that day!

The thirty minutes of highlights showed how fast paced it was. The last five minutes was typical of that season as we never gave up and had a couple of half chances with Darren Byfield. 

If you listen to the commentary, they give praise to Lee Trundle. I never really thought he played at his best for us so am not surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

Not only do I live now in the land that gave us Ivan Sproule but he was involved in a couple of moves that created the half chances. Would he have been faster than Eliasson? Most probably but maybe not as skillful? I'd certainly have him on the bench at least.

Adriano Basso will always be a talking point on here. Personally, he gets my vote as does Bradley Orr and Marv. 

42 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks for all the replies so far. All are thoughtful including the Major's who gives praise to the coaches. Personally, I flew with Easyjet and then used the tube that day!

The thirty minutes of highlights showed how fast paced it was. The last five minutes was typical of that season as we never gave up and had a couple of half chances with Darren Byfield. 

If you listen to the commentary, they give praise to Lee Trundle. I never really thought he played at his best for us so am not surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

Not only do I live now in the land that gave us Ivan Sproule but he was involved in a couple of moves that created the half chances. Would he have been faster than Eliasson? Most probably but maybe not as skillful? I'd certainly have him on the bench at least.

Adriano Basso will always be a talking point on here. Personally, he gets my vote as does Bradley Orr and Marv. 

Makes me smile thinking of Ivan Sproule, decent bloke but feet much quicker than brain.

I remember at PNE when he had the length of the pitch in front of him with no defenders in the way and he managed to run over the touchline with the ball. My favourite was home to Southampton (I think it was) last seconds when we hit them on the break with their keeper in our area and Ivan had the whole pitch in front of him and an open goal. He still nearly over ran the ball but managed to get it under control to tap it in. Heart in mouths that was - you could never tell what he was going to do.

Out of that team, I would have Marv at his best in todays team and possibly Noble.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not one .

A) They’d be too old 

B) They are nowhere near the standard of today’s pro’s 

That team massively over performed that is solely down to the manager and coaches.

I agree with the last sentence which means one thing - I’d swap Gary Johnson for Lee. With Gary the team performance was greater than the sum of the individuals. With Lee it’s the opposite 

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

In a 4-4-2 I’d go...

Bentley

Orr - Carey - Kalas - DaSilva

Eliasson - Elliott - Brownhill - McIndoe

Weimann - Adebola

Surprised myself with 5 from one team, 6 from the other, but a bit of logic:

- Carey has to be CH based on that season. Nobody we have currently is performing to that level

- The balance between full backs/wide men is right. McIndoe put a real shift in defensively and would allow JD to overlap, on the other side you have Orrs solidity making up for the naturally more attacking, but still able to work back, Elliasson

- Midfield. Ignore his subsequent drop off. Marvin Elliott was phenomenal that year. Better performances than any midfielder we currently have has managed consistently for a season. The other choice is Brownhill based on the ability Marv would give him to go box to box but if he’d been fit and firing, Korey would be close

- Up front. Adebola played the big man role consistently better than Fam. And he might be able to play with Weimann (!). AW would be replaced by a fit Afobe, but again, basing on balance and consistency, probably AW currently. However, tells a story that the position where I’m forcing people in as opposed to making a choice from a strong group is up front both in 2007-8 and now...

I'd agree with that, accept maybe i'd pick basso over bentley. Basso was solid that season, made some spectacular (if over elaborate) saves, but his positivity and influence was huge.

Solid team though. Carey as captain, that would be a no nonsense team with plenty of flair and creativity. And plenty of game changers on the bench, 

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Whats that coming over the hill? 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I reckon LJ would pick no33 ???

I think no 3 would be fairly optimistic!

Holden possibly a last minute loan signing!

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Basso, he was probably the best keeper outside of the Premier League that year. 

Carey, think some people underrate him sometimes. Him and Amougou kept us up about 6 years later and he was about 50 years old at that point. Performance at Forest away (display pic) was outstanding.

Orr would, have we had a better right back since?

That seasons Marv certainly would, he was SO good. A lot of Prem interest in him iirc. 

Noble on his day was unplayable. 

Many of our squad only get as far as the bench!

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Sproule’s goal against Southampton is still one of my favourite City goals. Ran all the way from his own half and thought he was going to run out of the ground??

14 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Flicking through the channels an hour ago and I came across a certain City match, so I decided I had to suffer and watch.

This is the first time I've watched any version of that game since I was there etc..

It begs the question, hence the above title. Obviously, I'm not referring to their current age! Who would get into our current team, assuming our head coach had a best starting 11?

IMG-20200113-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20200113-WA0002.jpeg

Think Basso, Noble, Elliot, Carey, McAllister, Trundle, Adebola, Sproule, Orr, and McIndoe could all be very useful in the squad. Depends entirely on what system we played as to whether they'd start. 

Was hesitating whether to add Carle, can't remember him too much apart from being fairly good before being sold to Palace quickly.

It’s amazing how football has moved on from that time. Basso, for example, was a great shot-stopper, but was his distribution good enough for how we try to play now?

Elliott was fantastic in that first season, but would he be technically good enough now?

I was really impressed with McIndoe that season. An established Championship player who worked hard. 

Archived