IGNORED

Shrewsbury Town v Bristol City FA Cup R3 Replay

Septic Peg

A neutral would not have been able to guess who were the Championship side

We could have played all night and not scored

Bentley was by far the busiest keeper. He was my mom which says it all when the keeper gets that.

I've not seen the procession stats but I'm guessing we had the bulk of play but didn't do a thing with it. It was one of those games where everyone seemed to have to have a touch before we decided to venture forward, and by then Shrewsbury who intercepted it well had got it back.

Overall we got what we deserved and travelling back on the coach the feeling is a lack of surprise.

That 2nd half tonight was a complete shambles.

Devoid of any ideas and quality.

I have said give LJ until the end of season but if we are going to play anymore like that then its a waste of time. Perhaps there is a discussion to be had about whether LJ, as much as I like the guy, has reached the end of the road with us. 

46 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Anyone who thinks he's taking us forward is deluded.... LJ words we want to win it for the fans..... Sorry LJ but the players don't want to win it for you... Barnsley will beat us comfortably Saturday simply because they have more about them. Once again we get to January and the wheels come clean off and it's repetitive.... JOHNSON OUT...

No, no, no - the rose-tinted, happy clapping LJ fan club tell us continuously that we have progressed every season - even though we haven’t ....can’t wait to see them defend this latest shite ...

27 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

I know for a fact 6 family members will not be at the gate saturday all season ticket holders i cannot and will not stomach it no more and no its not a knee jerk reaction lee johnsons football has bored the crap out of me all season enough is enough 

I'll give it a miss as well, won't be able to generate the motivation to get out of my chair to go down there, never felt so bored and fed up with my club even during the basement years in the early 80's

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Well I’m bitterly disappointed- but not enough (yet) to call for a change if manager. Just to be clear; I’d be more disappointed if we lost against Barnsley.

Defeat against a lower league side is always hard to take - especially with a juicy tie against the best team in the world waiting - but really, for ME, the league is far more important. 

Win against Barnsley and we could be another step on our way to playing Liverpool TWICE next season - not including cup ties. 

Have you actually watched the dross this Clown is serving up? We don’t stand a chance of making the playoffs, let alone promotion!

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

A neutral would not have been able to guess who were the Championship side

We could have played all night and not scored

Bentley was by far the busiest keeper. He was my mom which says it all when the keeper gets that.

I've not seen the procession stats but I'm guessing we had the bulk of play but didn't do a thing with it. It was one of those games where everyone seemed to have to have a touch before we decided to venture forward, and by then Shrewsbury who intercepted it well had got it back.

Overall we got what we deserved and travelling back on the coach the feeling is a lack of surprise.

Safe journey home, everyone! COYRs

It's encouraging to see so many previous LJ loyalists coming to see what was apparent some time ago. Sadly blind optimism has meant wasted time and millions spent. The club has gone backwards from our position 2 years ago. Time for cold realism. Johnson is a rookie manager, he's not learning, he needs to go and be replaced by someone with the experience to take this club forward.

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Yes and I thought that was telling; like he is passing the buck on lack of activity and saying previous searches for signings are down to Ashton. Quite a bizarre remark considering and one might almost think he feels like he is being left out and its a dig at MA. Certainly hope not. Losing does that to your mind as well and that in itself must rub off on the players which can turn into a spiral. He will need to get out of it fast if he is gonna keep his job.

But Ashton does lead on recruitment, as he himself says. The recruitment team reports to him and he does the negotiating with clubs, players and agents. Of course the Head Coach is part of the process but he is not in charge of it.

Not unusual in the modern game of course. However, Ashton has the negotiating skills but not the football expertise yet he is the de facto Director of Football. Plus we have no Chief Scout. I wonder why?

None of which is helped by a Head Coach who appears to have no clear plan as to how he wants the team to play. How do you recruit if you have no idea what your playing style is? So you end up with a mish mash of a squad, with some very good individuals, but who don't fit together in any coherent way.

The signs are not promising imo.

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Rubbish. A game against Liverpool in front of a national audience would have been an occasion to look forward to. The Carabao Cup isn’t exactly the Champions League either, but it brought us a lot of joy a couple of seasons ago.

I’m 36 and I’ve never seen us play top flight football and only on very rare occasions have I seen the really big clubs at Ashton Gate.

You might try to pretend it didn’t matter, but we’ve just blown a game against the reigning European Champions by losing to a side in the division below. Personally I think that’s absolutely crap, and another reason in a growing list why it should be time up for Johnson. So yes I will judge him for it thank you very much.

A tad younger than you but I share the exact same thoughts. 

I've defended LJ in the past no doubt, I was wrong to. I get that it's the FA Cup and shocks happen, but shocks usually happen because the lower league team are more determined to win and if Shrewsbury were more determined to win tonight than we were with such a huge prize on offer then there is something seriously wrong.

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Have you actually watched the dross this Clown is serving up? We don’t stand a chance of making the playoffs, let alone promotion!

Er - yes, and it’s not been good of late. 

I’m not telling anyone how they should feel. I’m just saying how I feel. Angry, disappointed, frustrated, embarrassed - all of those things,

People calling for LJ's departure should remember that SL has a shocking record of appointing managers. GJ being the only success, and he didn't come with much of an impressive CV.

In the extremely unlikely event of LJ's departure, expect another unimpressive appointment. 

SC was not SL's choice and he couldn't wait to get rid of him to bring in the wonder kid. 

Despite all the fantastic ground improvements adding value to his assets, SL has failed to build on Cott's success and the club's momentum and is ultimately responsible through, in my view, the ridiculous appointment of LJ, and for where we are as a team and our lack of progress.

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It's encouraging to see so many previous LJ loyalists coming to see what was apparent some time ago. Sadly blind optimism has meant wasted time and millions spent. The club has gone backwards from our position 2 years ago. Time for cold realism. Johnson is a rookie manager, he's not learning, he needs to go and be replaced by someone with the experience to take this club forward.

Honestly, can you really, honestly see us employing an experienced manager? Please tell me when that’s ever happened?

If LJ went, we’d get another ‘experiment’ - which more than likely would end with us back in L1. 

Like I said - please tell when this has NOT been the case?

(Please don’t think for one minute that I’m happy btw - just looking out of the frying pan and seeing the same fire we’ve jumped into before)

23 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Tbf, the genuine fans comment was aimed at those who were wanting us to lose to further advance their agenda of LJ. Totally different things.

Congratulations, you're older than me, I'm sure I'll be able to say the same as you one day. I wasnt trying to say I was a super fan because I've followed them for 20 years which you've appeared to taken it as. I was making the point that in those 20 years we have been pretty shite so it would have been nice to have a big day at Ashton Gate.

Last weekend you were questioning the commitment of the ‘LJ out’ brigade and said they weren’t ‘genuine fans’, you were questioning their commitment and now you get disgruntled when people are doing the same to you tonight ...

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But Ashton does lead on recruitment, as he himself says. The recruitment team reports to him and he does the negotiating with clubs, players and agents. Of course the Head Coach is part of the process but he is not in charge of it.

That much we do know; the point of my remark though, pertinently, was that he brushed off the question regarding transfer activity by referring to Ashton. Now, you can say he was miffed with the result and irked by the interview but he is paid to stand there and answer questions. It was disingenuous to brush the interviewer off like that however miffed he might have been with the defeat although, alarmingly, he did not seem to express his disappointment to the degree we fans felt. We want him to feel the pain; he doesn't seem to. He could have answered what he knows because it is a darn sight more than what he said which is basically, 'nothing'. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Last weekend you were questioning the commitment of the ‘LJ out’ brigade and said they weren’t ‘genuine fans’, you were questioning their commitment and now you get disgruntled when people are doing the same to you tonight ...

You are comparing two different things. I very clearly was questioning their commitment based on their motives as there is some that wanted us to lose. End of conversation. Goodbye.

5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Honestly, can you really, honestly see us employing an experienced manager? Please tell me when that’s ever happened?

If LJ went, we’d get another ‘experiment’ - which more than likely would end with us back in L1. 

Like I said - please tell when this has NOT been the case?

(Please don’t think for one minute that I’m happy btw - just looking out of the frying pan and seeing the same fire we’ve jumped into before)

Oh...I have no confidence we'll appoint a manager with the experience we need! I'm saying what I think needs to happen. We're in the hands of 'trust me on Tinnion' Steve...

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

You are comparing two different things. I very clearly was questioning their commitment based on their motives as there is some that wanted us to lose. End of conversation. Goodbye.

People who shut conversations off with smug phrasing always know they are wrong and want to run and hide from the reality ...

17 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

No, no, no - they all tell us we have ‘progressed every season’ ... ??

16 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but we did not score in that match. He did say the lads were fantastic though, you are right about that. ?

Bugger me - I’m seeing things now! How did I dream up the goal that never existed?! Look what he’s done to me - nurse, pass me my revolver, I’m going for a walk in the woods ... 

Archived