Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Taunton_BCFC

There’s no forgiving this!!!

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A very generous appraisal indeed.

By the way, I didn’t have ask “have we made progress?”, I asked “are we making progress any more?”. A subtly but crucially different question.

You can only answer that at the end of the season then 

27 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Have to agree to disagree I think 

Day 1 he went through on goal 1 on 1 and hit the post and I commented he's not good enough. A chap behind me laughed and said come on it's his 1st game. Well 3/4years on he's still not good enough.. 

• Like 1

I'm not too devastated - a massive cup game against Liverpool probably wouldn't have done our league season much good. But it's a pretty pathetic two legs against a mediocre League One team - and Johnson had the cheek to call the first game a 'mini cup final' for Shrewsbury. Nob. 

• Like 1
  • Rovers 1

1 minute ago, Allwaysred said:

Day 1 he went through on goal 1 on 1 and hit the post and I commented he's not good enough. A chap behind me laughed and said come on it's his 1st game. Well 3/4years on he's still not good enough.. 

Bet you’re told that story to so many people!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Shock - complete over reaction because people won’t be able to buy their half and half scarfs now. 

I'm annoyed with the result as I’m sure everyone is but no need for everyone to be dramatic. Better side tonight, unfortunately highlighted we need that extra bit of quality in the final third which I hope will be on the roof tomorrow. Saturday is a big game, one if we win will see us back in the top 6.

1 point off the playoffs, he isn’t going anywhere and nor should he.

Totally agree, I know it's total bollox but if I had the power I would take a win on Saturday, rather than tonight, every day of the week (no pun intended) !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Totally agree, I know it's total bollox but if I had the power I would take a win on Saturday, rather than tonight, every day of the week (no pun intended) !

Thing is, Barnsley’s form has picked up recently. I dont see Saturday going well!

But hey, our Head Coach is first to take the plaudits at home when we win, i dont think ive ever seen him do anything other than hide down the tunnel with home defeat!

Gutless, just like when he was a player. 

• Like 3
  • Rovers 5

24 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Win on sat and im happy , massive over reaction based on liverpool kids in the next round .... play offs is our aim not fa cup run .... get a grip 

And you really think currently we can achieve that?? I take it you have watched us of late?? We can't even to the basics.

We have been struggling up top ever since Afobe's injury. This result just merely underlines the failure of others.

It's the inability of others at the club for not getting the strikers in. Is that really Johnson's fault?

Let's be honest the club (Not Johnson) put all of our eggs in one Nketia basket and then signed Afobe late on into the window. We are still messing around with a player who seems to have his own agenda which will do no good at all.

It was very clear that we needed improving up front if we wanted to kick on.

So when he got injured we were running with Dhiedhou, Taylor, Weimann, basically last season's strike force and a raw Semenyo. Just simply not good enough for this level last season let alone this. If you want to improve and the major shareholder wants improvement so give the Head Coach the fire power.

As much as I rate Dhiedhou he had three chances Saturday and two tonight and converted 1. That's 1 in 5. That's not good enough.

Tonight the forward line was shackled by a League 1 defence (again)

Is that Lee Johnson's fault? Are you all saying Jamie McAllister would do better?!?

He can only work with what he's been given.

Considering how much fans have written off Pato on here I think it shows LJ's coaching ability to get him firing again. But nobody's prepared to give him much credit for that.

I got pulled up for a comment made on another topic on this forum yet reading some of the distasteful and downright personal remarks about our Head Coach on here makes me wonder why bother.

It's the classic case of the so called lesser team staying in the game for as long as possible and then a wonder strike out of the blue by a player we had on trial a few years ago and was deemed not good enough.

It's cup football.

The real issue now is for the club to give us the new forward signings that we should have had at the start of the season now to give us all that shot in the arm and that includes the Head Coach.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Bet you’re told that story to so many people!!

Not really just can see a composed striker when I see 1 and he's certainly not. Afobe or Dave?? Not rocket science.

6 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Not really just can see a composed striker when I see 1 and he's certainly not. Afobe or Dave?? Not rocket science.

Fam is getting all the stick but Weimann is a poor striker. I'd rather have Bill Wyman up front

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

The most stable this football club has been in the history of me supporting it. 

BECAUSE OF HIM. 

If we slide, I will take stock then. But I'm looking at us 1 point off playoffs.

I seem to have to explain this every season...

Being 1 point off the playoffs is only useful if your team is in good form, or at least good form relative to the teams around you. 

Our form is poor. We have 2 wins in last 8 games (all comps, inc Shrews).

So, a win v Barnsley keeps us in the running. But if we keep up our form, your 1 point will become 3... will become 5... 

It happened last season when our form became rotten and there were people closing their eyes to the evidence and saying "only 3 points off 6th..." But we didn't look like winning. So what's good about that?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fam is getting all the stick but Weimann is a poor striker. I'd rather have Bill Wyman up front

Another Johnson signing..... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

We will beat barnsley ... chilax im not going into meltdown because we missed the chance to play liverpools kids ... you on the other hand.

As others have already mentioned it's not just 1 game this slide and inconsistency started at Barnsley away and in area's has followed on more alarmingly the same time it does every year. As you mentioned Barnsley weekend who I'll tell you now will beat us comfortably. Do I take great pleasure in that?? Do I HELL,  but I'm realistic and Barnsley have a game plan and offer far more at present than us. It's all about mentality which comes from LJ and that's where the problem lies. Until he's gone it won't change. 60 players on and we still the frail Bristol City with the same mentality.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

No. But until we are out of contention, then why would we risk our position. Do you think changing the manager 100% pushes you into the playoffs?

Christ 

Just look at the previous 2 seasons. We all know how this one will pan out 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

And you really think currently we can achieve that?? I take it you have watched us of late?? We can't even to the basics.

Not at all optimistic, but IF we do I will forget about tonight's showing instantaneously ! 

24 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

As others have already mentioned it's not just 1 game this slide and inconsistency started at Barnsley away and in area's has followed on more alarmingly the same time it does every year. As you mentioned Barnsley weekend who I'll tell you now will beat us comfortably. Do I take great pleasure in that?? Do I HELL,  but I'm realistic and Barnsley have a game plan and offer far more at present than us. It's all about mentality which comes from LJ and that's where the problem lies. Until he's gone it won't change. 60 players on and we still the frail Bristol City with the same mentality.

Lump your mortgages on a Barnsley win this weekend allwaysred has spoken...

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Not at all optimistic, but IF we do I will forget about tonight's showing instantaneously ! 

On paper, we should beat Barnsley. But if I was them I'd be full of confidence about their chances of getting us under pressure at Ashton Gate. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Johnson’s fault Fam missed loads of chances I guess 

We don't create loads of chances.

If ever there was a bullshit post....

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst we may be 1 point off the play offs, this is a very damaging defeat for the club as a whole.

To all those who say we are one point off of the playoffs, look again. Add one point to our tally and see if we are in the top six.

No, we need two points to be in the top six. 

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

To all those who say we are one point off of the playoffs, look again. Add one point to our tally and see if we are in the top six.

No, we need two points to be in the top six. 

2 points!!! Really? I thought it was just one but if it’s 2 then we better sack him

• Like 1

I've not posted on here in quite some time, mostly because we've had yet another frustrating season and I haven't had many constructive things to write about.

Tonight I just thought I'd say that in nearly 30 years of supporting city, the result and performance did not suprise me in the least this evening. A classic case of city choking a major opportunity again. 

Extremely disappointing, and frankly worrying that the players cannot be motivated enough by the coaching team to overcome Shrewsbury, but am I suprised this has happened? No, not in the slightest.

Time for change? Yes, I think so. I feel things are quite similar to how I felt just before GJ left (taking the dressing room bust up out of the picture). Things just seem very stale right now with our style of play, and we don't seem to have a feasible plan B or C for when the opposition have us sussed out.

Thanks for all LJ, but time for fresh ideas and a culling of the massive bloated squad.

• Like 7

Just now, JonDolman said:

Apparently Fam had a few sitters today 

Well I'm unapologetically a fan of Diedhiou. But if that is correct, then as others have said, who bought him? Who trains him? 

To pick an example, do you think that Diedhiou would miss those chances under Joe Jordan's guidance? And if so, do you think he would still be selected?

• Like 1

Just now, Superjack said:

Well I'm unapologetically a fan of Diedhiou. But if that is correct, then as others have said, who bought him? Who trains him? 

To pick an example, do you think that Diedhiou would miss those chances under Joe Jordan's guidance? And if so, do you think he would still be selected?

It's strange because in Fam's first season with us, he mainly seemed to take his chances. 

I think he has missed more than he maybe should in the 2 seasons since. But not as bad as people make out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's strange because in Fam's first season with us, he mainly seemed to take his chances. 

I think he has missed more than he maybe should in the 2 seasons since. But not as bad as people make out.

I agree.

Let's not forget the long spell of him abandoned on his own up front though.

That would certainly not have happened under Big Joe?

Can you guess my age yet? 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

The most stable this football club has been in the history of me supporting it. 

BECAUSE OF HIM. 

If we slide, I will take stock then. But I'm looking at us 1 point off playoffs.

Clearly you must have been bored to sleep (like most of the rest of the crowd) at most of this years home games. 1 up front, and 2 holding midfielders dropping anchor 40 yards out (obviously on instruction) and the rest providing little to no support means few chances and ZERO excitement to get you out of your seat... AT HOME..!!! This is not new, it has been going on for a season and a half and is getting worse...

We just pass the ball around aimlessly hoping for something to happen with the singular exception of Elliason who DOES actually cross and hey, who knows, if we actually had bodies in the box, we might actually score more goals (at home). Cautious, scared even tactics is a guaranted way to ensure more and more empty red seats as the season  progresses.

We are absolutely LIGHT YEARS off the real footballing sides in this division. Any time we come up against a team that can play real, pacey football, we get stuffed cos they rip through us despite us playing 1-6-3 because they have intelligent footballers and coaches. The football in the last 6 weeks has been absolutely turgid and it's getting worse, doubtless caused by a coach under pressure reinforcing the desire not to lose...

We never go after teams, attack them relentlessly like good sides do, we simply pass it until we run out of ideas which happens when we play a superior team who already know what we are going to do and negate any threat. 

The real crime is that we CAN play good football, the squad is capable of considerably better than it is currently producing but instead, the football is deteriorating, and you want to put up with that to the end of the season...? 

NO THANKS....

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

Thats surprising. It seems like every game he misses from 6 yards out with no one around him haha 

I've noticed something about Diedhiou and granted it maybe perception more than reality. 

He seems at least as likely to miss an easy easy/a big chance than he is to score a slightly less easy chance..

He played very well at Wigan Saturday for example, didn't he? Could have scored a fantastic one too save for a foul or offside in the build-up by Watkins was it. My views on him are mixed.

20 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Clearly you must have been bored to sleep (like most of the rest of the crowd) at most of this years home games. 1 up front, and 2 holding midfielders dropping anchor 40 yards out (obviously on instruction) and the rest providing little to no support means few chances and ZERO excitement to get you out of your seat... AT HOME..!!! This is not new, it has been going on for a season and a half and is getting worse...

We just pass the ball around aimlessly hoping for something to happen with the singular exception of Elliason who DOES actually cross and hey, who knows, if we actually had bodies in the box, we might actually score more goals at home. Cautious, scared even tactics at home is a guaranted way to ensure more and more empty red seats as the season  progresses.

We are absolutely LIGHT YEARS off the real footballing sides in this division. Any time we come up against a team that can play real, pacey football, we get stuffed cos the rip through us despite us playing 1-6-3 because they have intelligent footballers and coaches. The football in the last 6 weeks has been absolutely turgid and it's getting worse, doubtless caused by a coach under pressure reinforcing the desire not to lose...

We never go after teams, attack them relentlessly like good sides do, we simply pass it until we run out of ideas which happens when we play a superior team who already know what we are going to do and negate any threat. 

We CAN play good football, the squad is capable of considerably better than it is currently playing but instead, the football is deteriorating, and you want to put up with that to the end of the season...? 

NO THANKS....

If only we did pass until no ideas, our possession and ball retention stats maybe significantly better...

We can't keep the ball well enough. 

We don't create a huge number of chances but our conversion rate has been strong.  Can't or won't last forever.

We concede one of the highest chances/shots per game in the League. Bentley's save ratio wouldn't last forever, couldn't.

It's a disastrous combination really!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swede said:

We have been struggling up top ever since Afobe's injury. This result just merely underlines the failure of others.

It's the inability of others at the club for not getting the strikers in. Is that really Johnson's fault?

Let's be honest the club (Not Johnson) put all of our eggs in one Nketia basket and then signed Afobe late on into the window. We are still messing around with a player who seems to have his own agenda which will do no good at all.

So when he got injured we were running with Dhiedhou, Taylor, Weimann, basically last season's strike force and a raw Semenyo. Just simply not good enough for this level last season let alone this. If you want to improve and the major shareholder wants improvement so give the Head Coach the fire power.

As much as I rate Dhiedhou he had three chances Saturday and two tonight and converted 1. That's 1 in 5. That's not good enough.

Is that Lee Johnson's fault? Are you all saying Jamie McAllister would do better?!?

Considering how much fans have written off Pato on here I think it shows LJ's coaching ability to get him firing again. But nobody's prepared to give him much credit for that.

I got pulled up for a comment made on another topic on this forum yet reading some of the distasteful and downright personal remarks about our Head Coach on here makes me wonder why bother.

It's the classic case of the so called lesser team staying in the game for as long as possible and then a wonder strike out of the blue by a player we had on trial a few years ago and was deemed not good enough.

It's cup football.

The real issue now is for the club to give us the new forward signings that we should have had at the start of the season now to give us all that shot in the arm and that includes the Head Coach.

He can only work with what he's been given? did I really just read that?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If only we did pass until no ideas, our possession and ball retention stats maybe significantly better...

Qw can't keep the ball well enough. 

We don't create a huge number of chances but our conversion rate gas been strong.  Can't or won't last forever.

We concede one of the highest chances/shots per game in the League. Bentley's save ratio wouldn't last forever, couldn't.

It's a disastrous combination really!!

This is why many people (myself included) want a change. It's not because we believe we should be running away with the league title but we can see (once again) that our trajectory is downwards.

The football at Ashton Gate has been dire for 30 or more games with just a few exceptions. LJ has had more than twice the number of transfer windows he asked for when he arrived at the club. He has signed 50+ players and yet is now seemingly reliant on Paterson, Brownhill, Baker, Diedhiou and Smith who have been with us for years. Why are we adding so many players to the squad who offer so little?

Unfortunately LJ proved nothing at Barnsley and Oldham. He got this job due to friendship with the owner.

Like his father before him, the football has turned sour. I'm happy that he had a chance, I thank him for some memorable moments but if he was going to lead us into the Premier League, we would have seen it starting to happen before now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Weimann looked interested and tried, but as you say he looks a poor striker. He scuffed a lot of passes where a more clinical player would have made the pass and fed it to another player to finish. He knew what to do, he tried to make the pass so was unselfish but just didn't have the skills to make it count.

Diedhiou did miss a few, he certainly has scored a lot more difficult goals than the chances he didn't put away tonight. I thought he was dropping deeper and wider to look for the ball or defend which didn't help.

I wanted us to just get the ball and run at them. I don't think they would have coped with that. They would have had to tackle us to get the ball back and at worse we would have been getting free kicks or throws. Instead we passed it without conviction and tried to walk it in. They were braver, tried a shot from distance and took the prize.

• Like 2

PROGRESS! Remember 2008, Wembley and the buzz!  I know my thoughts as to what went wrong, but I challenge every fan to answer one question honestly! Did you think for one moment that 12 years on we would be expecting Lee Johnson to lead us to the promised land? 
It’s not about anything other than experience and honesty! Both sadly wanting at the moment!

It is hugely concerning that the team couldn’t be motivated to see off a L1 side at the second time of asking with a plum tie against Liverpool up for grabs (yes, I know it would have been a scratch eleven, yadda yadda yadda, but even if Lansdown is satisfied to have a gimp in the hotseat he can walk around on a lead, I refuse to believe he isn’t extremely ticked off tonight at the business implications of such a lost opportunity).

The arguments that it’s just one game, and a tournament we’re never going to be in with a snowball’s chance in Hell of winning are completely disingenuous - in the context of our performances since the clocks went back this is another strike against Johnson.

We’ve seen this pattern repeat itself time and again during his four years at the helm - some good performances and results that have us nicely poised, and then abject displays when it comes to the crunch that have cost us big time.

The dreadful string of results in 16/17 that saw us fighting a relegation battle, the inexplicable collapse after Christmas in 17/18 when we really looked like kicking on, the meek surrender of a likely playoff spot last year, and another wretched run since West Brom. Yes, we’re in the mix but the evidence is compelling that we won’t stay the course once again.

If Poch, Rainieri and Emery can lose their jobs so quickly after tremendous success as their world came crashing down around their ears, then Johnson’s position should be extremely vulnerable at this point.

Mitigating factors you can point to al day long - injuries and so on, but then so could Graham Taylor as England manager.

Final straw for me, this. I fully concede the men whose opinion on this actually matters won’t agree, however - but what would it take for him to get sacked exactly?

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 2

Taking Pato off seemed to swing the game in their favour. Every thing seemed to go through him and then when he went off it seemed it was all Shrewsbury. We lost any attacking threat with his departure from play. Palmers name was barely even mentioned when he came on.

Bakers inclusion must also be questioned. Is it really wise to start with a player that has a history of crying off injured when someone as mush as stands on his toe. In a league game ok you can take that risk but do you really take that risk in a one off cup game?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

He doesn't get a free pass on stupidity because he's rich. Not from me and certainly not when it comes to his football decisions. 

Um .. he’s extremely rich precisely BECAUSE he isn’t stupid.

It's a massive f-ing embarrassment. Let's not be kind here. Across two games, it's cringeworthy.

Coming on top of recent poor performances, with players seemingly coached to perform below their ability, I'm starting to have very serious doubts in "the project".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Thats surprising. It seems like every game he misses from 6 yards out with no one around him haha 

Agree - he missed 20 ‘good chances’ last season alone, add 2 more tonight too

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I seem to have to explain this every season...

Being 1 point off the playoffs is only useful if your team is in good form, or at least good form relative to the teams around you. 

Our form is poor. We have 2 wins in last 8 games (all comps, inc Shrews).

So, a win v Barnsley keeps us in the running. But if we keep up our form, your 1 point will become 3... will become 5... 

It happened last season when our form became rotten and there were people closing their eyes to the evidence and saying "only 3 points off 6th..." But we didn't look like winning. So what's good about that?

Does my head people saying ‘1 point off play offs’ , a couple of defeats and we’re 14th.

have you not watched us play all season! There’s a reason we’re 23rd on xG table, because we get outplayed every game ! LJ out or a 17th place finish beckons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swede said:

It's cup football.

Does that have to be every game though? 

We are simply way to cautious and paranoid - no indentity to our play, LJ can spam that line as much as the B button in Mario, but he's the one that needs to ultimately solve it. 

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Um .. he’s extremely rich precisely BECAUSE he isn’t stupid.

I hope - and think - you’re right, but because he is money and otherwise savvy he will recognise at least the business ramifications of this result.