IGNORED

There’s no forgiving this!!!

BCFC1512

People mention 50 players etc. 

I believe that a decent aspect of that is that LJ hasn't known how to get the best out of a fair few that he's had. Doesn't even know what to do with them.

It's very expensive for the club but more importantly it's impossible to build a cohesive, confident and fluent unit with such a rate of churn!! 

He seems averse to 4-3-3. Why?

Think he's wasted a reasonable number of the signings, notably in midfield, with such a tactical mindset. With HIS tactical mindset.

Difficult to see the sunshine at the moment. Yes we are only one point off the play offs, but after Fulham, we were looking at being one point off automatic. The last 6 weeks have been relegation form and we're looking a ponderous stale predictable outfit. We might turn the corner and go on a winning streak, but how many corners does Lee get before we realise we are back to where we started. Managers are paid to manage and he ain't doing it. Time for a change.

The football that we have been playing is poor. Too much emphasis on passing it around and possession whilst appearing to go nowhere.

Even Lee Johnson has admitted that the players appeared tired and needed a good rest (which they had last week), but my personal opinion is that they aren’t tired, but they are bored, bored with a game plan and tactics that stifle their freedom to be able to express their qualities.

Although it’s not the end of the world that we are out of the FA Cup what is interesting is being able to gauge how bad our football really is, and by playing Shrewsbury who are a struggling League One side we have shown that our style of play would struggle in League One let alone the Championship and it is this that concerns me the most.

There is no denying that what we have been witnessing at Ashton Gate this season is woeful. On our travels we have faired better an credit has to go to our supporters who are definitely the 12th man. Away we are vocal, at Ashton Gate it is like a morgue.

Before was yesterday’s match I was talking to someone that I have grown up with supporting City and although we both love the new stadium we would give anything to have the atmosphere back that used to be created in the old East End. At least back then win lose or draw we had a party, now it is just a deafening silence with discontented groaning and a chorus of boos at half time or at the final whistle.

Who is out there that can realistically take us forward on the pitch at the moment. I know people have been bleating on about Chris Hughton (Not Chris ‘Bob’ HOUGHTON) but he is not going to turn down Premier League jobs and come to Ashton Gate, plus I don’t think his teams play a particularly exciting style of football either. 

Although I am not at all convinced that Lee Johnson is the right man and I think that this season will actually be the season where we finally take a step backwards in terms of our finishing position, I can’t think of anyone who can take us forward either? I would have said Warnock a few years ago, but he’s finished now, but none of the names suggested by fellow fans on here excite me even slightly.

Perhaps the signing of Nketiah will be enough to paper over the cracks and help us quickly get over the disappointment of not being able to play Liverpool’s kids in the next round of the FA Cup? 

I don’t think that LJ should go now only because there is nobody out there credible or a realistic option to replace him, but without a question of doubt if (more likely to be ‘when’) City fail to progress on last seasons finishing position then it will be time to say goodbye as this brand of football will only serve to drive fans away from the club if it is allowed to continue.

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Apparently Fam had a few sitters today 

First half 1 on 1 was a good chance. 2nd half chance from pato pass he’d have been disappointed with and should have hit the target. Not a sitter. 
Fammy is nowhere near our biggest problem though. 

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

The football that we have been playing is poor. Too much emphasis on passing it around and possession whilst appearing to go nowhere.

Even Lee Johnson has admitted that the players appeared tired and needed a good rest (which they had last week), but my personal opinion is that they aren’t tired, but they are bored, bored with a game plan and tactics that stifle their freedom to be able to express their qualities.

Although it’s not the end of the world that we are out of the FA Cup what is interesting is being able to gauge how bad our football really is, and by playing Shrewsbury who are a struggling League One side we have shown that our style of play would struggle in League One let alone the Championship and it is this that concerns me the most.

There is no denying that what we have been witnessing at Ashton Gate this season is woeful. On our travels we have faired better an credit has to go to our supporters who are definitely the 12th man. Away we are vocal, at Ashton Gate it is like a morgue.

Before was yesterday’s match I was talking to someone that I have grown up with supporting City and although we both love the new stadium we would give anything to have the atmosphere back that used to be created in the old East End. At least back then win lose or draw we had a party, now it is just a deafening silence with discontented groaning and a chorus of boos at half time or at the final whistle.

Who is out there that can realistically take us forward on the pitch at the moment. I know people have been bleating on about Chris Hughton (Not Chris ‘Bob’ HOUGHTON) but he is not going to turn down Premier League jobs and come to Ashton Gate, plus I don’t think his teams play a particularly exciting style of football either. 

Although I am not at all convinced that Lee Johnson is the right man and I think that this season will actually be the season where we finally take a step backwards in terms of our finishing position, I can’t think of anyone who can take us forward either? I would have said Warnock a few years ago, but he’s finished now, but none of the names suggested by fellow fans on here excite me even slightly.

Perhaps the signing of Nketiah will be enough to paper over the cracks and help us quickly get over the disappointment of not being able to play Liverpool’s kids in the next round of the FA Cup? 

I don’t think that LJ should go now only because there is nobody out there credible or a realistic option to replace him, but without a question of doubt if (more likely to be ‘when’) City fail to progress on last seasons finishing position then it will be time to say goodbye as this brand of football will only serve to drive fans away from the club if it is allowed to continue.

If only there was, then we might improve and at least have something to build from- we've not really been a possession side this or last season!

At home 54% last season or thereabouts was the average- which is fine, but certainly not dominant or top heavy in terms of ball retention/dominance.

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Bristol City average possession in games is below 50%. Versus Wigan it was 31%. The passing accuracy was 60%, a third of passes were long balls, the average passing sequence was three passes. 

What that emphasizes is the lack of emphasis that is placed on retention of the football.

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City average possession in games is below 50%. Versus Wigan it was 31%. The passing accuracy was 60%, a third of passes were long balls, the average passing sequence was three passes. 

What that emphasizes is the lack of emphasis that is placed on retention of the football.

Excellent post- you regularly emphasise this and I point to the basics i.e. possession stats from time to time.

The myth that we are a possession based side and how much it persists, it's amazing.

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Excellent post- you regularly emphasise this and I point to the basics i.e. possession stats from time to time.

The myth that we are a possession based side and how much it persists, it's amazing.

We all have perceptions and bias.

City do attempt to build from the back and the perception is that is a emphasis on possession. It is in one third of the pitch. It is not possession based football. 

A comparison could be Bournemouth. Build from the back and attempt to penetrate with longer balls. Its frequently short, short, long = Less than 50% possession a game. Its not possession based football either..

@Gert Mare I heard a comment recently (I think on Totally football podcast) about how defensive football is fine when you get results, but it's really boring for the players and eventually they could lose interest in the project.

Johnson can hail our wins at Hull, Cardiff and Wigan as vintage gritty away wins, but he has to be careful not to set our team up as a hardworking counter attacking side that endures a lot of graft and not much enjoyment.

These players' commitment to the 'tactics' could wane if they're working their socks off and failing frequently. 

5 hours ago, miser said:

Difficult to see the sunshine at the moment. Yes we are only one point off the play offs, but after Fulham, we were looking at being one point off automatic. The last 6 weeks have been relegation form and we're looking a ponderous stale predictable outfit. We might turn the corner and go on a winning streak, but how many corners does Lee get before we realise we are back to where we started. Managers are paid to manage and he ain't doing it. Time for a change.

Spot on,

1 hour ago, old parkender said:

We’ve had 9 fixtures so far against teams currently above us

P9 W1 D3 L5 F6 A16

not very encouraging is it?

Ah, I see you are a glass half-empty kinda man.

If we were to fall further in the table, we would likely be overtaken by teams we have previously beaten.

That table will look a lot better then!

?

8 hours ago, Spud55 said:

He misses as many if not more sitters than Fam. Wigan home as an obvious example, headed straight to the keeper from about 2 yards and ****** a 1 on 1 to win the game at the end. But people forget them as he runs around a lot, not to any great use, all you have to do is watch what defenders think of his runs as they largely ignore them. He's rarely where he needs to be, it took Martley Watkins a game to start to read Fams flick ons and by Wigan you could see it was almost there, as he was starting to get in the right areas to pick up balls from Fams headers. 

Wieman still hasn't got a bean where he needs to be as he randomly ***** off down the wing when he should be in and around Fam. 

I do not think that Wieman is a bad player, he just is not and never has been a bloody striker, only in his own head is he a striker, he's like a Championship version of Theo Walcott. 

A goal against Man City and his stock as a striker went higher than reality. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Haha, I read the post you were responding to and did the same double take you did - we haven't been a boring possession passing football team for a long time, I only wish we were.

People seem to confuse which LJ tactical-era they're unhappy with (possibly because all the styles seem to run of ideas). The current era is the punt it over the top for Famara period.

Passing it about aimlessly was last season, and special occasions at AG. Starved of it for a month, I was thrilled to see it last night. Seems like others saw it as AG more of the same.

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Ah, I see you are a glass half-empty kinda man.

If we were to fall further in the table, we would likely be overtaken by teams we have previously beaten.

That table will look a lot better then!

?

My take is that so far this season we haven’t competed with the teams at the top end of the division

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

We have tended to win those games, though, and lose the ones we have more than 50% possession, certainly of late. 

It might be that the opposition score early, then sit back and let us have the ball (when we lose) and something like the reverse when we win.

There was something at the weekend in a paper about Bournemouth up to late November / early December, when they were doing well, and since then when they have gone to bits. The poor run has seen their possession of the ball, and number of passes go up, quite noticeably, compared to their early good form (when they had the ball less, and made fewer passes).

23 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We have tended to win those games, though, and lose the ones we have more than 50% possession, certainly of late. 

It might be that the opposition score early, then sit back and let us have the ball (when we lose) and something like the reverse when we win.

There was something at the weekend in a paper about Bournemouth up to late November / early December, when they were doing well, and since then when they have gone to bits. The poor run has seen their possession of the ball, and number of passes go up, quite noticeably, compared to their early good form (when they had the ball less, and made fewer passes).

In regards to 50% two out of the last three wins City have more than that figure. 

Bournemouth was a point about perception. The perception is they are a possession based team. They are not. They build from several passes at the back to attempting to quickly penetrating the opposition. Giving them more possession, letting them have it, sitting off, screening off passing options leads to the team being less effective. 

I am not stating this as gospel but a similar thing can occur with Bristol City.

Bank up and City struggle to penetrate and this leads to the monotonous passing across the back some posters refer to. Bank up, go off triggers and isolate individuals City are launching the ball, it is again a symptom of not being able to get out.

Open up and Bristol City (with less possession) are half decent at counter attacking.

16 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Sacking LJ would mean we'd given a manager 4 years. That's not knee jerk or akin to the culture you perhaps allude to. He wouldn't be accused of it either. 

Sacking a manager who has you a point outside the playoffs because of a defeat to Shrewsbury would be seen as knee jerk.

8 minutes ago, soultrader said:

If (as a few have suggested) we get Colin as manager.   Would they be happy with his signings?

A quick glance reveals he has signed:

• Aden Flint
  • Bobby Reid (£10million!)
  • Marlon Pack
  • Lee Tomlin

We can only dream of players like them at our club...

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

In regards to 50% two out of the last three wins City have more than that figure. 

Bournemouth was a point about perception. The perception is they are a possession based team. They are not. They build from several passes at the back to attempting to quickly penetrating the opposition. Giving them more possession, letting them have it, sitting off, screening off passing options leads to the team being less effective. 

I am not stating this as gospel but a similar thing can occur with Bristol City.

Bank up and City struggle to penetrate and this leads to the monotonous passing across the back some posters refer to. Bank up, go off triggers and isolate individuals City are launching the ball, it is again a symptom of not being able to get out.

Open up and Bristol City (with less possession) are half decent at counter attacking.

It’s so easy to see and so obvious. To be effective we need an opposition to come at us. Otherwise we are anything but effective!!

9 hours ago, glos old boy said:

In the last 9 games we have lost 6 games, drawn 1 and won 2, and those wins were against the bottom 2 teams in this div, however you cut it that is not good and a definate LJ poor streak and how anyone can turn that into a positive is beyond me.

Yes we know we are "only a point" from the play offs but so are half this division, we are not playing anywhere near good football and without those 2 games against the bottom teams we would be miles away. As it goes for lucky Lee we play the 3rd bottom team Sat lets see how that goes shall we.

Which means most of the harder games in the second half of the season are yet to come and therefore much more difficult to attain the points required for a play off spot.

19 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Lump your mortgages on a Barnsley win this weekend allwaysred has spoken...

Well would no put it on us?? Nope. Remember we we're 2nil up with 10 to go up there and any more added time we would have lost. There a team with alot more than us at present and actually have a plan unlike us. Time will tell shame we haven't got MT.... Another mistake of LJ.

19 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fam is getting all the stick but Weimann is a poor striker. I'd rather have Bill Wyman up front

He's not being played as a striker. He proved last year when played through the middle he's clinical... he runs the line which fam can't constantly off side. AW is a very talented player just nobody is on his wave length..

19 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fam is getting all the stick but Weimann is a poor striker. I'd rather have Bill Wyman up front

He's not being played as a striker. He proved last year when played through the middle he's clinical... he runs the line which fam can't constantly off side. AW is a very talented player just nobody is on his wave length..

19 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It's strange because in Fam's first season with us, he mainly seemed to take his chances. 

I think he has missed more than he maybe should in the 2 seasons since. But not as bad as people make out.

He was bought to score them not miss them. Most of the time he doesn't read the game and is 5yrds behind play. I've lost count the amount his missed 6yrds out. That's not a striker who will get you top 6 and most have seen this for the last 4 transfer windows but our leader cannot. Until we address our outstanding and now boring obvious weakness including LJ & Co we are simply pissing in the wind.

Archived