IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

Alan Dicks

There mite be a bit of atmosphere at AG on Saturday, albeit a toxic one.

Fans have had enough of Johnson. Can almost guarantee another pointless signing to try to deflect the negative publicity he is getting. Won’t work this time. We have had enough!

JOHNSON OUT!

10 hours ago, 054123 said:

As much as I agree that Lee is primarily responsible, I don’t know what other coaches will be able to succeed under Lansdown and the ‘model’. Anyone with promise has to be sold and and players coming in can only be paid 20-25k. I understand why this is but it has ramifications.

A good coach will build a team, an identity and have a clear plan for the future .

Every club sells their best players and every club has a wage budget .

The ‘ model ‘ is a sound and reasonable one which many coaches succeed under . We are not unique in that way . Every club has a framework for working in.

As for LJ , he will not be going anywhere unless a) he quits or breaks down 

or b) this season of promise goes down the drain .

As I have said before all the transfer plans are in place for this window it is too late and too dangerous to change the head coach now . He will be given the time to see how  his new signings affect the team. 

I hope the club succeed . 

Looking at the bigger picture, like a lot of you i am frustrated my the situation we are in.We have always had great prospects, but in resent times no one to complete the jigsaw.

At the moment Chris Houghton and Neil Warnock with a cv of getting clubs like ours to the Premiership. Forget about the style of play/ identities. In a few months time Mick McCarthy ditto the above.

Do i believe the Lansdowns  would interview, employ any of these or the same type of managers,  NO.

Do i believe the Lansdowns will sack Lee over the next few weeks,  NO.

In other words same as for the future.

Steve Lansdown has done a great job with the stadium and backing Lee, and we have moved forward. But to get to the Premership i do believe neither of them a capable of doing so.

I only way forward is for someone to buy the club and take us to the promised land.I understand that is a chancy thing to do.But some times in life you have to make big decisions to move forward.Other clubs have done it with success, yes and some have not. But this is the only way out of the constant under achieving this club has seen over many years. 

Anybody feel the same?

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Looking at the bigger picture, like a lot of you i am frustrated my the situation we are in.We have always had great prospects, but in resent times no one to complete the jigsaw.

At the moment Chris Houghton and Neil Warnock with a cv of getting clubs like ours to the Premiership. Forget about the style of play/ identities. In a few months time Mick McCarthy ditto the above.

Do i believe the Lansdowns  would interview, employ any of these or the same type of managers,  NO.

Do i believe the Lansdowns will sack Lee over the next few weeks,  NO.

In other words same as for the future.

Steve Lansdown has done a great job with the stadium and backing Lee, and we have moved forward. But to get to the Premership i do believe neither of them a capable of doing so.

I only way forward is for someone to buy the club and take us to the promised land.I understand that is a chancy thing to do.But some times in life you have to make big decisions to move forward.Other clubs have done it with success, yes and some have not. But this is the only way out of the constant under achieving this club has seen over many years. 

Anybody feel the same?

Absolutely not,

with lansdown at the helm the future of the club is safe,

the footballing side of things is the responsibility of Jon Ashton and Johnson,

and 2 of the 3 are doing their job well, we need to change 1 cog and the wheel starts turning again

that cog is johnson, it was the same with his dad who is a legend in my eyes. But like with his father, things have gone stale the enjoyment is gone and a change needs to be made

42 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Anybody feel the same?

No. Next . . . 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I'll turn up and support as I always do, but I can tell one thing, if we go 1 down or its 0-0 at half time the little atmosphere there is at ashton gate will be toxic,

People are fed up of the shit football on show, setting up to play on the counter at home and changing to try and counter the opposition,

we should be force the opposition to change their game plan to suit us, we should be attacking not sitting back,

the football on show is worse then pulis and o'driscil combined and it can't be aloud to continue 

Same here Monkeh,  will be there Saturday but like a lot am getting sick of shit football from blokes who earn 100-150 times my weekly pension for a 90 minute shift, we should be the team the opposition fear but sadly this is not the case, after 62 years of going to the gate it seems we have an owner who has done so much in terms of the stadium but lacks the skill to identify a coach who can do the business on the field. Re-reading book on Harry Dolman and he refers to owners who are good in business yet when it comes to running a football team are clueless ( for older fans remember a certain Sam Longson with a certain Brian Clough !)

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure MA identifies transfers. Is he just a layer of protection for LJ built in by the Lansdowns?

Not sure if I'm going to make sense here but I actually wonder if half of the issue with our transfers is a gap in perception between how LJ/MA think we play and how we play in practice. I know we use a lot of data for signings but data is only as good as the person who enters or interprets it. I wonder if the problem is we've got an idea of the players we think we need to fit the system we think we play but those players then join us and struggle because we don't play the way we think we do.

As I say, not sure I'm making sense...

6 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

You carry on and do that, the state of some of our ‘supporters’ is unbelievable, you’d think we’re struggling at the bottom of L2 the way some are going on.
I’ll continue to support BCFC through the good and the bad times, because that what supporters tend to do, yet those like you and there seems to be a fair few of you who think everything has to be great all of the time then after a few losses whinge until the cows come home about how bad things are at City at the moment, then want us to play a better standard of Football and most want us to bring in Warnock FFS! In reality apart from the poor home form and performances we are no doubt in the healthiest position we’ve ever been overall as a club. We’ve been through a hell of a lot worse than this, so those wanting LJ out what were your expectations this season?

Call me a Happy Clapper or whatever but I’m a realist who sees us as roundabout where we should be in this League ie pushing for the play offs, in what is imo one of if not the most competitive league there is, where it seems not 1 club is finding consistency, we are no different. We are up against clubs paying some players anything upto £80k p/w and yet some fully expect us to be challenging those sort of sides? Like it or not and I’m no LJ fanboy but we’ve improved our position for the past 5 years running and in with a good shout of improving again. Personally a change of manager (who’s even out there?) will only set us back even further from where people expect us to be during this season for sure. They’d want their own backroom staff, their own players, players having to adapt to different methods etc. 

You're absolutely right, as I've said on here before the club's currently in the best consistent position in the League it's been since we got relegated from Div 1 in 1980, and we've got a brand new stadium as well. Some supporters are never happy and wouldn't be able to cope if we actually got promoted to the Prem anyway, I'm not saying we'd go straight down but wins would be rare and we'd be in a relegation scrap again. SL's discovered that changing managers is a precarious move, LJ's one of the few recent successes.

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

He'd rather sack US than sack LJ. I wouldn't waste your time on this,.

This I suspect is closer to the truth than many realise.

Mr Lansdown is a very , very successful man, and will have a substantial ego, despite coming across as an all round good local geezer with his heart in the right place.

That ego will be unlikely to allow him to accept that he has gotten it wrong again, so I personally expect a similar public statement to the one a season or so back, giving total support to his man, his vision etc etc etc.

You can then take it or leave it. Fact is he didn't act when we were in danger of relegation so he isn't going to do anything when he believes we are in with a shout of promotion.

If you don't like it, then stay away from the ground but pack the local pubs because plenty of people in the area not walking through the turnstiles may cause a light to be switched on in the owners head that Bristol City fans aren't actually sheep, eternally grateful for having a nice stadium, and second division football, and realise that the spend isn't all largesse on his part.

If you accept that you must back him and the manager under any circumstances then continue attending and good for you.

Neither side is wrong, you pay your money you take your choice.

@Alan Dicks You had just 5 games of the 80-81 season after taking us and keeping us up in the promised land for 4 seasons....5 games!!! Then they replaced you with Bob ‘Chris’ Houghton and we fell to pieces....but we did have Jan Moller and plenty of Champers. Ahhh, the memories. I think the remainder of the season will be shit or bust for LJ now. I think you will have to wait for the summer for this to happen though. I feel your pain though I really do!

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not sure if I'm going to make sense here but I actually wonder if half of the issue with our transfers is a gap in perception between how LJ/MA think we play and how we play in practice. I know we use a lot of data for signings but data is only as good as the person who enters or interprets it. I wonder if the problem is we've got an idea of the players we think we need to fit the system we think we play but those players then join us and struggle because we don't play the way we think we do.

As I say, not sure I'm making sense...

It’s possible but unlikely, LJ would say to MA that they need a big number nine for example ( but we normally end up with several number twos ) , a big defensive midfielder and so on .

Then Ashton and his team of analysts would go out and recruit three wingers if they thought they could make money on them .

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s possible but unlikely, LJ would say to MA that they need a big number nine for example ( but we normally end up with several number twos ) , a big defensive midfielder and so on .

Then Ashton and his team of analysts would go out and recruit three wingers if they thought they could make money on them .

Interesting point that you have touched on there @Major Isewater

i wonder how many of out signings are simply for what we need in the side or someone that has been highlighted as having potential to sell on for a profit in the future?

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The opposite of love is not hate, it is leaving the Dolman on 82 minutes.

ST holders that don't turn up at all, buying no food or drink, leaving an empty red seat, for a third of a season, will rattle Steve more than being mean, and horrible, and beastly to Lee. The power of passive aggression!

The indifference instead of hate thing is a bit too subtle/passive for many though, sadly....

Yep, he'll pay attention to money and none to internet forums or radio phone-ins. So the way to get his attention is, like you say, acres of empty red seats between now and the end of the season and then, just as importantly, non-renewal of season tickets. It's the only thing that will give him pause for thought.   

Nothing has changed in the past 10 years at the club. The only thing that has changed is 2 swanky new stands. There is no drive at the club to get to the top it seems. 

This 'long term' thing of buying and selling players does not guarantee success and is a gamble. You need experience in charge if that's how you want to run things at this level. 

SL will only sack LJ if we haven't progressed from last season.

This suggests that he'll either wait until the end of the season, or if we get into a position where we've no chance of improving.

However, I think any decision of sacking will have to be qualified by things such as injuries. For example, should we have had the whole first team injured all season, then it would be, I would say, unfair to sack him for finishing one place lower than last season. Also, you have to consider the dismal football and whether things such as injuries effected it.

My view is that purely based on current league position and the chance of play-offs still being very possible, that he won't and shouldn't be sacked now. He frustrates the hell out of me but that's not a reason on its own.

If LJ gets his striker and what with the injury situation getting better, let's assume he'll have "his" team for the 2nd half of the season. I think we can truly judge then and if we don't progress, bearing in mind our position now, then SL will have a difficult time explaining if he doesn't make a change.

The next 5 games will be very telling from my point of view I think, with regards obviously results, but playing style, formations, team selection etc. Probably the most crucial set of games for LJ since his arrival.

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

This I suspect is closer to the truth than many realise.

Mr Lansdown is a very , very successful man, and will have a substantial ego, despite coming across as an all round good local geezer with his heart in the right place.

That ego will be unlikely to allow him to accept that he has gotten it wrong again, so I personally expect a similar public statement to the one a season or so back, giving total support to his man, his vision etc etc etc.

You can then take it or leave it. Fact is he didn't act when we were in danger of relegation so he isn't going to do anything when he believes we are in with a shout of promotion.

If you don't like it, then stay away from the ground but pack the local pubs because plenty of people in the area not walking through the turnstiles may cause a light to be switched on in the owners head that Bristol City fans aren't actually sheep, eternally grateful for having a nice stadium, and second division football, and realise that the spend isn't all largesse on his part.

If you accept that you must back him and the manager under any circumstances then continue attending and good for you.

Neither side is wrong, you pay your money you take your choice.

I don’t think it’s a case of Lansdown “getting it wrong” Johnson’s been here 4 years and has done ok in terms of league position and consolidation So you can say he got it right, But as with every manager apart from the the truly great ones, time runs out on them and sometimes it’s best to part ways, Gary Johnson did well for us but his time ran out and maybe it’s time for lee as we do seem to have gone backwards (style of play wise)in a similar fashion  

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, he'll pay attention to money and none to internet forums or radio phone-ins. So the way to get his attention is, like you say, acres of empty red seats between now and the end of the season and then, just as importantly, non-renewal of season tickets. It's the only thing that will give him pause for thought.   

Absolutely. See you there, Saturday 

5 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

There mite be a bit of atmosphere at AG on Saturday, albeit a toxic one.

Fans have had enough of Johnson. Can almost guarantee another pointless signing to try to deflect the negative publicity he is getting. Won’t work this time. We have had enough!

JOHNSON OUT!

There won't be any atmosphere. There never is. 

It won't be toxic. A mumble of indifference and resignation. Possibly 

• Admin
20 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

We do get lots of boos at half / full time if the result is not good

If we get to an hour or so and passes start going astray the voices of discontent will start

6 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The opposite of love is not hate, it is leaving the Dolman on 82 minutes.

ST holders that don't turn up at all, buying no food or drink, leaving an empty red seat, for a third of a season, will rattle Steve more than being mean, and horrible, and beastly to Lee. The power of passive aggression!

The indifference instead of hate thing is a bit too subtle/passive for many though, sadly....

I disagree, me, my family and friends did t renew after 15 consecutive years (8 of us in all)...

Not one of us has has such as a phone call to ask us why?

We’re totally vindicated in our decision though because **** all’s changed!

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

We do get lots of boos at half / full time if the result is not good

If we get to an hour or so and passes start going astray the voices of discontent will start

To be fair mate, Ashton Gate has always been like that.....even when we're winning.

41 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

I disagree, me, my family and friends did t renew after 15 consecutive years (8 of us in all)...

Not one of us has has such as a phone call to ask us why?

We’re totally vindicated in our decision though because **** all’s changed!

If the total number of season ticket sales at the start of this season was higher than the season before your absence won't be noted. He's looking at numbers, not individuals - in fact, his attitude all along has been a disdain for individuals, certainly lifelong supporters, because his attitude is there will always be someone else to come if you don't, probably someone new to football, a modern supporter, who's far more likely to be happy clappy and uncritical.

If at the start of next season, total season ticket sales are down by a significant number, that's when he'll start to worry.  

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Ship an early goal and I'd imagine there will be significant booing. We got lucky with Luton (h) the other week as we scored early doors. 

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Absolutely not,

with lansdown at the helm the future of the club is safe,

the footballing side of things is the responsibility of Jon Ashton and Johnson,

and 2 of the 3 are doing their job well, we need to change 1 cog and the wheel starts turning again

that cog is johnson, it was the same with his dad who is a legend in my eyes. But like with his father, things have gone stale the enjoyment is gone and a change needs to be made

Don't agree with you about LJ's future, but I respect the fact you layout an actual logical argument and pop up and post in threads like this pointing out the more ridiculous things that are lever led against him and the club. 

2 hours ago, old parkender said:

I don’t think it’s a case of Lansdown “getting it wrong” Johnson’s been here 4 years and has done ok in terms of league position and consolidation So you can say he got it right, But as with every manager apart from the the truly great ones, time runs out on them and sometimes it’s best to part ways, Gary Johnson did well for us but his time ran out and maybe it’s time for lee as we do seem to have gone backwards (style of play wise)in a similar fashion  

I'm not sure doing "OK" is privately what he expected, and i'm pretty sure the rollercoaster form we have experienced for a few years under the head coach, and the associated disharmony it causes amongst the fanbase is anything like he anticipated.

I think he saw LJ leading us to the premier league, and unless we go seriously backwards, I would be astonished if he didn't stand by his appointment for the reasons I cited earlier.

I agree with you entirely that very few managers walk before they get pushed.

12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

That's a very good point.

I imagine Hughton would want a certain type of player. They'd cost a bit of money, but worse than the wages or any transfer fee, they would not have any value in the market.

We'd then have less money to buy any quality in future windows.

The way we do things can be successful. And actually Johnson has done a fantastic job in bringing in quality that improve and we can sell on for a profit.

However people may disagree with that model, that is what we do. And really there is no other sensible way of doing things.

Having said this, there are some serious questions about LJs tactics, and I don't think any supporter can be entirely happy with everything at the moment.

But I don't see the harm in seeing how he does. Look at the situation again in the summer.

Agree totally. Was saying to a friend the other day that Hughton would be my choice if lee left. Agree with peoples point about his tactics, but on the flip side I’ve witnessed the best football City has played during my 25 years as a fan. I can understand peoples reasons for wanting a change but personally I’d like to see him have till end of season to turn it around. 

the fact we are a streaky team is irrelevant in my eyes. We are in 8th place and 1 point off playoffs after losing our best striker to injury and having his best players sold for the last 2 seasons. If you want to be pedantic you could blame the board for not holding on to best players and splashing cash to keep them. 

johnson probably feels hard done by ??

Archived