IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

Alan Dicks

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, he'll pay attention to money and none to internet forums or radio phone-ins. So the way to get his attention is, like you say, acres of empty red seats between now and the end of the season and then, just as importantly, non-renewal of season tickets. It's the only thing that will give him pause for thought.   

Yet despite all the moaning on here the last few years average attendances continue to rise and are now probably near an all-time high (21,763 so far this season)

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Yet despite all the moaning on here the last few years average attendances continue to rise and are now probably near an all-time high (21,763 so far this season)

At least half of them are plastics nowadays. The old AG with 10K in the ground had more atmosphere than your 20oddK who just sit there looking at there phones all game. Makes my piss boil!

10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

That will definitely drop by the end of the season and next seasons tickets holders will reduce if we finish as we are.

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

That will definitely drop by the end of the season and next seasons tickets holders will reduce if we finish as we are.

People on here were saying last season that season ticket numbers would plummet this year but they didn't, the facts don't back up your argument

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

People on here were saying last season that season ticket numbers would plummet this year but they didn't, the facts don't back up your argument

No they don't but two different seasons so far and I feel we are headed for a bottom half finish. The mood is a lot worse currently compared to last season, but granted it hasn't ended yet so we will have to see.

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I don’t think so. What we will see (I’m pretty sure) is a different type of fan (aka customer) buying ST’s for the first time. It won’t be people who have grown up supporting their local club, many will be non-Bristolians who have moved onto the area and see going to Ashton Gate as ‘something to do’ at weekends. It won’t be your workmate upgrading at long last and buying a Clark’s pie on the way in.....it will be well paid home owners who will pay any price for food, drink and merchandise inside the stadium at every visit.

• Admin
13 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

I remember my first 2 or 3 seasons supporting City all the shouts of Alan Dicks out and look how that turned out

Lets see where we are at end of season pointless changing managers now .

If only the game hadn't changed so much in all that time

13 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I don’t think so. What we will see (I’m pretty sure) is a different type of fan (aka customer) buying ST’s for the first time. It won’t be people who have grown up supporting their local club, many will be non-Bristolians who have moved onto the area and see going to Ashton Gate as ‘something to do’ at weekends. It won’t be your workmate upgrading at long last and buying a Clark’s pie on the way in.....it will be well paid home owners who will pay any price for food, drink and merchandise inside the stadium at every visit.

I certainly think that's the aim of the club.

A different demographic is sought, hence the usual sterile atmosphere in the ground.

The thing is, when it all goes to rat shit, those folks will take themselves elsewhere and the former supporters will be targetted, but possibly too late.

Personally though, I can see a drop in SC sales this time around, and I certainly see prices being frozen and some creative prices for younger people to counter that risk.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

I certainly think that's the aim of the club.

A different demographic is sought, hence the usual sterile atmosphere in the ground.

The thing is, when it all goes to rat shit, those folks will take themselves elsewhere and the former supporters will be targetted, but possibly too late.

Personally though, I can see a drop in SC sales this time around, and I certainly see prices being frozen and some creative prices for younger people to counter that risk.

it's true and it doesn't just apply to Football.

Generationally the 'working man' has evolved into a softer (?) more socially mobile version. I think the old fashioned supporter doesn't really exist anymore in terms of where all football/rugby/cricket is going, it's futile to think we are going back to some terraced, pie and bovril utopia. (not that it ever was! - pissing against the wall in the open air and getting swept around the east end by the crowd?)

the only way to recapture that is to go watch non league or such.

SL knows he has had 14K+ of season tickets for the last few years, so people not attending in protest (not that that really happens) doesn't make a difference. (It's like many gyms who have about 25% of members who pay an annual fee never actually attend!)

Agree,the old fashioned idea of the football SUPPORTER is changing. Football has changed also. Unfortunately the new(ish) breed of football fan or follower needs instant gratification and success. Football/Championship manager game players. Football used to be an entertainment for the working man . The entertainment factor is being pushed aside under the weight of financial pressure. Fans say they want young players brought through their side yet, won't accept that this will mean inconsistency in performances and results. The football Club supporter Supports his club through thick and thin(mostly thin) knowing no one has a divide right to expect to be successful. Apart from Liverpool , Everton and Arsenal I have seen all the top clubs Relegated from the Top division while I've supported City. I am not a happy clapper, I am a season ticket holder as are three of my son's. The football on offer at the moment may not be as good as previous,recent, season's,but it's a lot better than some of the dross we've seen lower down the leagues. If you are a follower, fair weather fan then it would be easy for you to suggest people should stay away, but if you are a Supporter,then you know you can't. I am a City Supporter. CTID

2 hours ago, fatchers said:

Agree,the old fashioned idea of the football SUPPORTER is changing. Football has changed also. Unfortunately the new(ish) breed of football fan or follower needs instant gratification and success. Football/Championship manager game players. Football used to be an entertainment for the working man . The entertainment factor is being pushed aside under the weight of financial pressure. Fans say they want young players brought through their side yet, won't accept that this will mean inconsistency in performances and results. The football Club supporter Supports his club through thick and thin(mostly thin) knowing no one has a divide right to expect to be successful. Apart from Liverpool , Everton and Arsenal I have seen all the top clubs Relegated from the Top division while I've supported City. I am not a happy clapper, I am a season ticket holder as are three of my son's. The football on offer at the moment may not be as good as previous,recent, season's,but it's a lot better than some of the dross we've seen lower down the leagues. If you are a follower, fair weather fan then it would be easy for you to suggest people should stay away, but if you are a Supporter,then you know you can't. I am a City Supporter. CTID

Agreed, I will always be there. But this season has been awful at home. Just think we have a lot of fair weather plastics that will vote with there feet next season. Hope I am wrong. But things do need to improve a LOT at home games. 

3 hours ago, fatchers said:

Agreed...although I'd like changes and to enjoy the experience of going to matches a bit more! I was just watching highlights of the Bob Taylor era - that was more like fun. However, I'll be there on Saturday, with one son, and hopefully at QPR with the other...and despite my moans we'll doubtless renew our season tickets as we have for most of the last couple of decades...despite living nowhere near Bristol...more as an investment in the club than to get any discount on match prices. 

It's the hope that kills though...

3 hours ago, fatchers said:

What you have written is what I have believed all my life. Two wives have taken a while to understand the fervour of a City fan who will never deliberately stay away from home games. And who grabs every opportunity to do round trips of hundreds of miles to away games.

However, in the last three years I have not only not come to two home league games, I've also missed out on cup games like Shrewsbury and even pre-season friendlies.

I've been a season ticket holder for most of the time since 1967. Even when living a long way from Bristol.

The long losing spells of the Johnson regime, the total lack of entertainment, the way the players look so disjointed and not seeming to play to a plan. I consider myself a true City fan through the heady days of Division One to the bottom of the Fourth.

So if I'm losing it interest how about those who aren't as committed as me?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

What you have written is what I have believed all my life. Two wives have taken a while to understand the fervour of a City fan who will never deliberately stay away from home games. And who grabs every opportunity to do round trips of hundreds of miles to away games.

However, in the last three years I have not only not come to two home league games, I've also missed out on cup games like Shrewsbury and even pre-season friendlies.

I've been a season ticket holder for most of the time since 1967. Even when living a long way from Bristol.

The long losing spells of the Johnson regime, the total lack of entertainment, the way the players look so disjointed and not seeming to play to a plan. I consider myself a true City fan through the heady days of Division One to the bottom of the Fourth.

So if I'm losing it interest how about those who aren't as committed as me?

I share your pain. 

On 15/01/2020 at 22:17, Ciderhead433 said:

I remember my first 2 or 3 seasons supporting City all the shouts of Alan Dicks out and look how that turned out

That was another world with respect.

I watched an interesting documentary about football in the 70’s and there were comments on Leeds who at the time had no history , no money and no trophies.

Their success was based on Revie buying the best young players for peanuts, who saw him as a father figure , and keeping them together .

At their peak they had the majority of players at the club for over ten years. 

Dicks did a similar thing but today’s footballers don’t stay at one club for ten years . 

The modern day coach has a hard job trying to build a team on quicksand . He needs to make his mark quickly and get the job done quickly as his tenure is brief and his workload, stress unsupportable over any length of time. Remember LJ had to move house because of death threats ! 

My belief is that it’s gone a bit stale at City and I hope there is a shake up this summer, earlier if it’s apparent that the top six is beyond our reach. 

20 hours ago, Antman said:

it's true and it doesn't just apply to Football.

Generationally the 'working man' has evolved into a softer (?) more socially mobile version. I think the old fashioned supporter doesn't really exist anymore in terms of where all football/rugby/cricket is going, it's futile to think we are going back to some terraced, pie and bovril utopia. (not that it ever was! - pissing against the wall in the open air and getting swept around the east end by the crowd?)

the only way to recapture that is to go watch non league or such.

SL knows he has had 14K+ of season tickets for the last few years, so people not attending in protest (not that that really happens) doesn't make a difference. (It's like many gyms who have about 25% of members who pay an annual fee never actually attend!)

But I thought SC sales wasn't nearly enough. Hence the need for those people to empty their wallets at the concessions 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The modern day coach has a hard job trying to build a team on quicksand . He needs to make his mark quickly and get the job done quickly as his tenure is brief and his workload, stress unsupportable over any length of time. Remember LJ had to move house because of death threats ! 

A coach needs to get the job done quickly - ie, gain promotion - because if he doesn't, he will be selling his best player or players every summer and "starting again," with all the challenges that entails. It’s a bit of a vicious circle.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I watched an interesting documentary about football in the 70’s and there were comments on Leeds who at the time had no history , no money and no trophies.

Their success was based on Revie buying the best young players for peanuts, who saw him as a father figure , and keeping them together .

Dicks did a similar thing but today’s footballers don’t stay at one club for ten years . 

My belief is that it’s gone a bit stale at City and I hope there is a shake up this summer, earlier if it’s apparent that the top six is beyond our reach. 

The reference to AD.

He did work very similar to Revie. He got very good youth mostly from Scotland and Bristol. That was how we got the core of the 1976 promotion team plus some very shrewd free transfers from clubs like Leeds.

Dolman must have seen the way things were developing with the youth system and this probably saved AD from the chop. These boys all contributed along with a couple of money signings like Sweeney, Gillies and Cheesley.

While I believe that we now have some very good youth, now called Academy, apart from Lloyd Kelly, who have been given any significant first team game time? Maybe Max O'Leary?

But where are the others? If we are serious about youth development in the way AD was, we should have one in the side every game and two or three more on the bench!

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Yeah if we finish roughly where we are now and go into next season with a similar team and manager (Which is all very likely), I'll probably be the least excited for a season i've ever been. Stale indeed. Shake up would be fantastic 

On 15/01/2020 at 21:17, Ciderhead433 said:

Dicks never had the money that has been wasted on certain players, what he had was Professional footballers in front of him who wanted to play for the badge.The team gelled the players played for each other. Can't see much of that these day too many players! 

On 15/01/2020 at 01:53, Fuber said:

Thing is, part of this is self inflicted. 

LJ's clubs in the bag approach means that we're increasing wage costs year on year, making any increase in Turnover pretty reduntant. 

Ala Adelakun, Watkins, Szmodics, Palmer, Taylor (who I doubt Oxford are paying the full wages for). 

Lets be kind and say wages are 5kpw, 8kpw, 6kpw, 15kpw, and half Taylors, so 4kpw. Maenpaa is also probably on around £8kpw.

That right there is £2.39m p/a wages before Tax, for players who, for us, have contributed what exactly? 

I count around 23 appearaces between those five players for City this season in so far. 

That's £104,000p/appearance between them. 

Id have honestly rather loaned Conor Gallagher and signed Karlan Grant to and saved a few hundred grand - while avoiding our fairly bloated squad. 

We have an academy for a reason, why loan them out when it could be useful to have the around i.e. Morrell and O'Leary and save money. 

Just seen this.

This is exactly why I say that if we had a trimmer squad, and in the examples above receive a fee for Palmer, Szmodics and Adelakun roughly in line with what you paid, you suddenly save £6-8m pa.  Add O’Dowda into that mix, and you suddenly have reduced your outgoings to an amount that brings your losses inside FFP limits (not yet fully sustainable, but SL will handle that).

Those players aren’t needed (subjective view), so what’s the issue.

The manager then has a starting position to buy with the money he generates through sales.  All talk of net spend as something to defend LJ with goes away.  I actually think he’d benefit from a trimmer squad model too, would provide a better (and clearer) pathway too.

Archived