IGNORED

Profitable Championship club with little ambition?

gavlin

It makes you wonder what the management really want as this is now a profitable club with a number of potential future premiership players all ready to be sold when a top premier team come with their cheque book, a ground that cost around approx £45 million and a manager rated as a top coach in this league.So maybe it time to get use to being a championship team finishing between 7th and 12th. As is said by Ashton and Johnson we are not in the same league financially as the top sides in this league. 

To sum it up Steve Lansdown wants profit first and footballing success is secondary!!!! 

37 minutes ago, gavlin said:

It makes you wonder what the management really want as this is now a profitable club with a number of potential future premiership players all ready to be sold when a top premier team come with their cheque book, a ground that cost around approx £45 million and a manager rated as a top coach in this league.So maybe it time to get use to being a championship team finishing between 7th and 12th. As is said by Ashton and Johnson we are not in the same league financially as the top sides in this league. 

To sum it up Steve Lansdown wants profit first and footballing success is secondary!!!! 

I disagree, as I think he wants footballing success, but because of the financial rules realises that it is only by making profit on player sales that we can the stay within the ffp rules and thereby be as competitive as possible in the championship,

If SL wanted profit first he would not own a football club. He'd have left the £200m ?? he's put into Bristol City in Hargreaves Lansdown and would have made bigger profit than he will see here.

The mess that clubs like Derby, Wednesday and even Villa got into selling their stadia to avoid ffp penalties suggest that SL has the right financial strategy for the club. What he might not have is the right coach/manager to translate that off field activity into on pitch success. 

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I disagree, as I think he wants footballing success, but because of the financial rules realises that it is only by making profit on player sales that we can the stay within the ffp rules and thereby be as competitive as possible in the championship,

If SL wanted profit first he would not own a football club. He'd have left the £200m ?? he's put into Bristol City in Hargreaves Lansdown and would have made bigger profit than he will see here.

The mess that clubs like Derby, Wednesday and even Villa got into selling their stadia to avoid ffp penalties suggest that SL has the right financial strategy for the club. What he might not have is the right coach/manager to translate that off field activity into on pitch success. 

Totally agree. For a club the size of City, the Championship is equivalent is the death zone. If we go up, we could be profitable with care and some luck. For our crowds and non-football income we could also be profitable at the top of League 1.

The only way for us to make a profit in the Championship with current FFP constraints is to sell £30M or £40M worth of players each summer. No guarantee we'll keep doing that.

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

There’s no such thing as a profitable championship club,

not unless we can sell 25 million quids worth of players every season

IT was more than that, we only made a profit because Kelly was sold early enough to be added into the previous years accounts I believe so its more like 40 to make a profit, I would expect our losses this yea to be on a scale unprecedented for this club. 

Maybe the whole model needs a rethink?

In the last four years there are examples of clubs spending loads and being promoted. However, there are examples where spending / trading isn’t on a scale close to ours: Sheffield U, Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield. I can’t think of their versions of the sale of Webster, Reid, Flint, Bryan. Which means they can’t have been shelling out on fees and wages at a level close to ours. 

Archived