IGNORED

A divided fan base.

Rich

As per the title and for one reason only. Mr Lansdown has decided that he would employ a divisive figure to manage the club at first team level. As this is without doubt the most important role within the club, was that with hindsight, a good decision? The old argument will rage about Cotterill taking us into a relegation battle. The truth is, he was not backed in the market when we arrived in the championship and threw his rattle out of the pram in a form of protest, there was only going to be one winner, was he set up to fail?  Mr L got "his" man and LJ was given the plaudits by some, of saving us from relegation. Personally I think Pemberton steadied the ship, Johnson continued with his help until we were safe, then experimented (messed up) the last six games Pemberton was got rid of. It's been a roller coaster ride since, of good runs followed by poor runs, slight improvements in position but, at the same time having to watch dire football with the hope of snatching a result in the last 30 mins of virtually every home match, with the exception of about ten or so games in three seasons.

There must come a time when Mr L admits that he got it wrong, and as a direct result of his decision, he's divided the fan base. This has caused so much bad feeling within that fanbase, that it's detrimental to the overall good of the club which does not seem to be able to progress on the field, as well as it has off the field. We could be such a good club when we all pull in the same direction, but that leadership and direction has to come from the top, it's up to Mr L to swallow his pride, admit he was wrong and unite this club, by appointing the best possible leader for the football team, as he's done for the group Chairman, the CEO, the developments, the stadium management, the backroom, the recruitment and academy staff, just as he seems to have done for the rugby.

In other appointments within BS, he has employed the best candidate possible, strangely, for the biggest and hardest job, he employed a rookie and one that was not a popular choice amongst his paying customers. Other aspects of the business are doing well but, I'd like to see the ratio of actual attendees to seats sold and, the ratio of takings for a proper attendance such as against Man Utd, compared to that of a bog standard league match. Ie: full house outlet takings compared to say 20,000 official attendance but reality 16,000-17000 actual attendance. I'm sure that's not quite as successful.

I find it strange that without exception, not one person has ever made a statement about their time at the club, after leaving the club, do they sign an agreement of silence?

I'm fed up of writing now, I just want better than this for the club I've followed for over 54 years.

Still trying to get my head around it.. bloody hell... If the propsect of playing against the world / european club champions, league winners in all but name ,in front of a global audience with tons of publicity and increased profile wasn't enough of a carrot to motivate them... I give up... what the hell is wrong with our club?...yes, LJ is shocking but the players are equally culpable... sack em all... 

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

As per the title and for one reason only. Mr Lansdown has decided that he would employ a divisive figure to manage the club at first team level. As this is without doubt the most important role within the club, was that with hindsight, a good decision? The old argument will rage about Cotterill taking us into a relegation battle. The truth is, he was not backed in the market when we arrived in the championship and threw his rattle out of the pram in a form of protest, there was only going to be one winner, was he set up to fail?  Mr L got "his" man and LJ was given the plaudits by some, of saving us from relegation. Personally I think Pemberton steadied the ship, Johnson continued with his help until we were safe, then experimented (messed up) the last six games Pemberton was got rid of. It's been a roller coaster ride since, of good runs followed by poor runs, slight improvements in position but, at the same time having to watch dire football with the hope of snatching a result in the last 30 mins of virtually every home match, with the exception of about ten or so games in three seasons.

There must come a time when Mr L admits that he got it wrong, and as a direct result of his decision, he's divided the fan base. This has caused so much bad feeling within that fanbase, that it's detrimental to the overall good of the club which does not seem to be able to progress on the field, as well as it has off the field. We could be such a good club when we all pull in the same direction, but that leadership and direction has to come from the top, it's up to Mr L to swallow his pride, admit he was wrong and unite this club, by appointing the best possible leader for the football team, as he's done for the group Chairman, the CEO, the developments, the stadium management, the backroom, the recruitment and academy staff, just as he seems to have done for the rugby.

In other appointments within BS, he has employed the best candidate possible, strangely, for the biggest and hardest job, he employed a rookie and one that was not a popular choice amongst his paying customers. Other aspects of the business are doing well but, I'd like to see the ratio of actual attendees to seats sold and, the ratio of takings for a proper attendance such as against Man Utd, compared to that of a bog standard league match. Ie: full house outlet takings compared to say 20,000 official attendance but reality 16,000-17000 actual attendance. I'm sure that's not quite as successful.

I find it strange that without exception, not one person has ever made a statement about their time at the club, after leaving the club, do they sign an agreement of silence?

I'm fed up of writing now, I just want better than this for the club I've followed for over 54 years.

You are dead right about creating a divided fan base, unfortunately SteveL was conned into believing that drones and measuring the grass constituted a bright go ahead forward thinking manager.

I don’t think it’s particularly divided. It’s not like there has been lots of booing or calling for his head at AG. A few people on here but I’m not convinced that it represents the fan base as a whole

I think more the general feeling is that LJ has done a reasonable job over his 4 years at AG but that it may well be that he has taken us as far as he can and that a change is required in the summer to take us a bit further. I’m certainly not against this way of thinking and I think SL, who rarely changes managers for good reason, will be thinking the same. 

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don’t think it’s particularly divided. It’s not like there has been lots of booing or calling for his head at AG. A few people on here but I’m not convinced that it represents the fan base as a whole

I think more the general feeling is that LJ has done a reasonable job over his 4 years at AG but that it may well be that he has taken us as far as he can and that a change is required in the summer to take us a bit further. I’m certainly not against this way of thinking and I think SL, who rarely changes managers for good reason, will be thinking the same. 

The fans down AG aren't exactly renowned for their passion

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

People were walking out in the first half against Brentford. Its hard to hear the Cat calls from Brislington!

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

People wanted a top six finish at the start of the season, we’re right in the mix. Let’s see who arrives in January and how the rest of the season pans out. 

Agree.  Said it elsewhere, but assuming he gets Eddie or suitable other striker....he’s got his wishes....just go and deliver.

I don’t think the fan base will buy excuses at the end of this season if we fade away.

This squad (say with Eddie) is no weaker than than anyone outside the top 2 plus maybe Fulham.  Some may argue that we aren’t as strong as Brentford or Forest or x or y.  I disagree.  Just that in Brentford case they are playing more cohesively and stylishly.  They aren’t any better imho.  I accept some may disagree!!

What we then question is the leader.  So it’s shit or bust time for LJ.

Archived