IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

wayne allisons tongues

Can someone please tell me his position.

Csme on today for Pato and looked lost, kept losing the ball and couldn’t work out where he was playing.

Until he came on we looked pretty solid, Palmer comes on and straight away Shrewsbury chuck on there forward for they know he will not track back and we lost all shape.

Why is it impossible for our players to play a forward pass. Weimann and Pato made endless runs to never receive the ball.

Embarrassing for the goal, been on the pitch for 19 minutes and can’t track the of the cb. 

Constantly seeing people saying he should start etc but he’s done nothing in a city shirt since signing and is a luxury player who doesn’t work nearly hard enough. 

3 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Embarrassing for the goal, been on the pitch for 19 minutes and can’t track the of the cb. 

Constantly seeing people saying he should start etc but he’s done nothing in a city shirt since signing and is a luxury player who doesn’t work nearly hard enough. 

Agree. He is a luxury player. Don't get how he gets away with it on here. It's quite incredible really how fans let him off.

O'Dowda gets incredible stick from 90% on here, yet he does things like track his man. He works very hard.

But I also understand Palmer has a lot of qualities too in the right shape and the right players playing with him.

But he is what I'd call a luxury player, because his work rate is poor. And it's not so easy to fit someone like that into a side like it used to be.

Running around and putting in the odd sliding tackle is not high work rate. High work rate is consistently over 90 minutes making the runs or tracking players.

Lack of work rate and also lack of discipline. I will be surprised if he ever makes it higher than championship level unless he improves in these areas of his game.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. He is a luxury player. Don't get how he gets away with it on here. It's quite incredible really how fans let him off.

O'Dowda gets incredible stick from 90% on here, yet he does things like track his man. He works very hard.

But I also understand Palmer has a lot of qualities too in the right shape and the right players playing with him.

But he is what I'd call a luxury player, because his work rate is poor. And it's not so easy to fit someone like that into a side like it used to be.

Running around and putting in the odd sliding tackle is not high work rate. High work rate is consistently over 90 minutes making the runs or tracking players.

Lack of work rate and also lack of discipline. I will be surprised if he ever makes it higher than championship level unless he improves in these areas of his game.

At least with the likes of JET and Tomlin, they were lazy but fairly regularly produced magic. Palmer has managed about three bits of magic all season

He’s not good enough and hasn’t shown enough in the minutes he has been given to warrant a place in the starting 11. I fear he’s one of those players who had some promise because he came from a big club but will never fulfil his potential, wouldn’t be sad to see him go.

13 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Actually think that Pato looked far more dangerous than Palmer or Weimann tonight - not saying much but seemed an odd sub. Only thing I can think is he hasn’t played many 90 minutes lately. 

That's almost certainly what it was. And it contributed to us completely losing control of a game that we were getting on top of and looking the more likely of the two sides to win, though hardly dominating.

33 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Palmer has been a poor signing tbh. What do we pay him for? Sounds like Nagy was rubbish again tonight too

Nagy had a good game spent most of the game in front of the back 4. Only when Palmer came on and we were disjointed he came more forward and looked lost.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That's almost certainly what it was. And it contributed to us completely losing control of a game that we were getting on top of and looking the more likely of the two sides to win, though hardly dominating.

Spot on, this isn’t the first time this season we’ve looked solid and in charge. Make a substitution and lose control of the game.

For a coach who is suppose to be amazingly forward thinking and the football world respects, he makes way to many errors as a manager now.

55 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Nagy had a good game spent most of the game in front of the back 4. Only when Palmer came on and we were disjointed he came more forward and looked lost.

Nagy was abysmal 

I really cant see what people see in him

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

At least with the likes of JET and Tomlin, they were lazy but fairly regularly produced magic. Palmer has managed about three bits of magic all season

Dead right, unfortunately at the moment Palmer is by far the worst 'luxury' player we've ever had and not a patch on Tomlin or Jet

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Can someone please tell me his position.

Csme on today for Pato and looked lost, kept losing the ball and couldn’t work out where he was playing.

Until he came on we looked pretty solid, Palmer comes on and straight away Shrewsbury chuck on there forward for they know he will not track back and we lost all shape.

Why is it impossible for our players to play a forward pass. Weimann and Pato made endless runs to never receive the ball.

You are not allowed the question the might Kasey Palmer on the forum!

Hes a confidence player who proved at the start of the season when partnered with Afobe, he can spot runs. 

The issue is that players who play an advanced playmaker role need to know the rough team shape and passing lines so as to know when to come and receive to create a pivot and shift momentum. 

He's simply being shoehorned in by LJ with Fammy up front despite the former not knowing how to inegrate him. 

Ive seen people also reference Weimanns movement and how no one spots his runs - they do, the issue is that Andreas has a penchant for stopping his run instead of bending it to stay onside, when him and Kasey play together it then either works or the ball ends up put for a throw in. 

Afobe suited KP perfectly as he timed his runs with Kasey's pivot receiving the ball in the pocket, and bent his run as needed by running towards CB from the channel inside of the opposition right or left backs to create more space in the pocket as needed, giving KP further to carry the ball as needed, it also meant Afobe always had a yard on the Centre-back he squared up to when bending the run. 

Our off the ball movememt as a whole this season with the exception of Afobe was, and still is, completely lacklustre. 

1 hour ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

He’s not good enough and hasn’t shown enough in the minutes he has been given to warrant a place in the starting 11. I fear he’s one of those players who had some promise because he came from a big club but will never fulfil his potential, wouldn’t be sad to see him go.

Here is the problem, he doesn’t get enough minutes, in and out of the squad or the odd 15/20mins here or there does no footballer at any level no good whatsoever. Kasey Palmer will get into pretty much every side in this league played in his correct position. He started v Shrews at home, although he wasn’t brilliant he was our best player, next game? Dropped again. 
IMO we should be setting up to include KP and NE in every game. Does make you wonder why LJ ever signed him, he’s wasted here.

19 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Strange how everyone can be so opposite and see things differently. In the match report thread by ‘ole’ he describes him as the pick of our players, 

Agreed - and as long as we’re all polite he’s more than entitled to hold that view.

For me i just don’t see how he effected the game last night positively last night, for all the touches he had on the ball i can remember one good forward pass to Pato. 

6 hours ago, Fuber said:

Hes a confidence player who proved at the start of the season when partnered with Afobe, he can spot runs. 

The issue is that players who play an advanced playmaker role need to know the rough team shape and passing lines so as to know when to come and receive to create a pivot and shift momentum. 

He's simply being shoehorned in by LJ with Fammy up front despite the former not knowing how to inegrate him. 

Ive seen people also reference Weimanns movement and how no one spots his runs - they do, the issue is that Andreas has a penchant for stopping his run instead of bending it to stay onside, when him and Kasey play together it then either works or the ball ends up put for a throw in. 

Afobe suited KP perfectly as he timed his runs with Kasey's pivot receiving the ball in the pocket, and bent his run as needed by running towards CB from the channel inside of the opposition right or left backs to create more space in the pocket as needed, giving KP further to carry the ball as needed, it also meant Afobe always had a yard on the Centre-back he squared up to when bending the run. 

Our off the ball movememt as a whole this season with the exception of Afobe was, and still is, completely lacklustre. 

This. If we do sign Nketiah today it could make both LJ and KP if we can get him running in behind. The style, system and personnel couldn’t be any less suited to KP at the moment. That could change though with the arrival of a new striker or the return of Benik. Come March KP could be our best and most important player.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Agreed - and as long as we’re all polite he’s more than entitled to hold that view.

For me i just don’t see how he effected the game last night positively last night, for all the touches he had on the ball i can remember one good forward pass to Pato. 

But I think his role in the team is to stay in front of the back 4 and cover any runners. He did that for the first hour mopping up around the back and covering Hunt when he went forward. They never really got in through the middle, because he was covering.

Only when we changed formation with Palmer on and Pato off who was dropping in the hole behind Fammy did he start to struggle. This was because Palmer seemed to stick to the right wing in the way of Hunt Weimann and slowed things down. Leaving us short in the middle of the pitch which they exploited with there subs and we didn’t react to it.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Palmer works best in the hole behind the strikers,

you need to tell him not to worry about defending,

peoblem is we haven’t got a defensive midfielder in the squad to make up for this, to play him you need 2 of those, we haven’t got one

Makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place if we didn't have a system in mind to fit him into. 

Johnson likes his 'clubs in the bag' but it makes for a disjointed XI with little understanding of how to play. 

9 hours ago, mcbcfc said:

expecting him to find a killer pass is impossible. 

Of course the other side of the equation being you also need forwards to regularly move into positions in which they can receive the ball? With Flappy seemingly homed to the touchlines and Static occupying his marker's shadow Show Pony would have to be a world beater were he able to bring them into the game (as we've seen he isn't.) We've also several players who are exemplar at being able to hide in plain sight.

Palmer though isn't as bad as some are making out, I recall similar criticism being labelled at Peter Cormack and what does he have on his résumé? In his case we also had excellent midfielders in those key roles of winning ball/enforcement and cover/space fillers and I don't think what we have today are being best deployed under WeeLee to give him his best shot at success. That said, he isn't the first to suffer our managerial limitations.

Archived