IGNORED

Warnock til the end of the season

Up The City!

Warnock til the end of the season?  

566 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

So what if he is? Put Warnock in charge of our current squad and he’d struggle.

Warnock got these team promoted: Scarborough, Notts County, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Sheff Utd, QPR, Cardiff. Not to mention struggling  teams he has turned around. I doubt all of those squads were a perfect fit for him when he joined. He certainly has what it takes but Im afraid some on here judge him on his character rather than managerial ability.

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Lee Johnson isn’t going anywhere. There is no suitable replacement 

Nope out of thousands of coaches around Europe alone I am sure none can do what LJ is doing. Come on, it doesn’t have to be a name to be good. No one knew Farke no one knew Wagner hell no one really talked about Wilder before they were promoted to championship. 

As for Warnock I voted no. Style of football is important to me and he’d offer no better. That said and as @Fordy62 has said, an identity would go a long way for me as well. Maybe more importantly a structure. Warnock is pretty straightforward. Gets his teams to work hard, they are organised and if you are playing well you keep the shirt. I think he’d make a massive difference here. Maybe not until end of the season but if promotion was the aim, and LJ were to go today, a year and a half deal and I think we push for promotion a bit harder next season than we would if LJ still here

5 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Cardiff have improved since he left.. how can that be?

Also, can anyone honestly imagine SL and MA opening a bottle of vintage red and inviting that awful man up to the board room to join them to talk business?

It got stale at Cardiff. After 3-4 seasons it is hard to keep that message going. Think this is a big reason LJ is faltering. What can he say to motivate players that they haven’t heard from him already? Fresh faces and fresh ideas are usually when you see the biggest upturns in form.

Millwall you would say pretty much overachieved under Harris. Was there forever and this year was bad. He left and Rowett has them above us. 

Cardiff had Warnock for years. From keeping them up to promotion to a valiant effort in the prem, none of it mattered a few months later. Got rid of the man that achieved so much and form improved. 

There is a time to stay vigilant with a manager. That is in the first two years imo. We stuck with LJ in his first full season when most wouldn’t. That paid off. Looking for lightning to strike twice is foolish imo. It is stale at the club and while the grass isn’t always greener it is time for change and whatever happens I can live with that. As long as whoever comes in is as backed the same way. 

6 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Nothings forever. There is and always will be a replacement somewhere.

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Nope out of thousands of coaches around Europe alone I am sure none can do what LJ is doing. Come on, it doesn’t have to be a name to be good. No one knew Farke no one knew Wagner hell no one really talked about Wilder before they were promoted to championship. 

As for Warnock I voted no. Style of football is important to me and he’d offer no better. That said and as @Fordy62 has said, an identity would go a long way for me as well. Maybe more importantly a structure. Warnock is pretty straightforward. Gets his teams to work hard, they are organised and if you are playing well you keep the shirt. I think he’d make a massive difference here. Maybe not until end of the season but if promotion was the aim, and LJ were to go today, a year and a half deal and I think we push for promotion a bit harder next season than we would if LJ still here

Agree with both of you that obviously a replacement is somewhere in Europe, what I mean is i don’t believe the club have done any work on the massive job that would be finding such a candidate, therefor there is no replacement.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Agree with both of you that obviously a replacement is somewhere in Europe, what I mean is i don’t believe the club have done any work on the massive job that would be finding such a candidate, therefor there is no replacement.

Is a fair point but you’d hope they were keeping track of potential candidates as due diligence. There has to be a worst case scenario mindset in football surely? I’d be pretty disappointed if we couldn’t get rid of one and needed more than 2 weeks to get a shortlist together, interviews done and best candidate identified. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

To be honest I’d take anyone. Part of me even wants to say I’d consider Pulis - that’s how bad it is. At least then if he talked about identity we’d all know what he was talking about rather than under the current regime. 

How about our squad with LJ style?

You're embarrassing if you think it's that bad you would consider Tony pullis. 

Serious question do you go week in week out? 

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

You're embarrassing if you think it's that bad you would consider Tony pullis. 

Serious question do you go week in week out? 

I watch week in week out. I don’t go much any more. 

(and it was a little tongue in cheek, but things have got bad... nearly half of us would take Warnock!)

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It got stale at Cardiff. After 3-4 seasons it is hard to keep that message going. Think this is a big reason LJ is faltering. What can he say to motivate players that they haven’t heard from him already? Fresh faces and fresh ideas are usually when you see the biggest upturns in form.

A way around this "stale" problem is to change all the players, often. Other than Brownhill and Korey, his two loyal adherents, who has been here much more than 18 months? Pato, but we tried moving him on. Fam is one, but Lee was intent on pushing him to the margins.

49 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

And LJ played his strongest XI again a mid table league one side last night. Shots on target? 2. 

Afobe, or Eddie would've been part of his "strongest XI" this season; LJ has been unlucky with those two (as well as other injuries, Kalas and JD). He identified an upgrade on Fam as a priority for this season, and has been left with Fam for most of the first half of the season.

Rotten luck, yes; more rotten luck than LJ can cope with/overcome, yes.

I like Warnock but i'm not sure if this is the right time for him. He doesn't want to be in football too long, and I think if we were to replace LJ it would need to be a manager who bought into a long term vision and was prepared to stick around for a few seasons.

If we were bottom of the table, 6 points adrift and he wanted the job for 6 months to keep us up -  he would be top of my list.

8 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Rubbish....there's loads of better managers out there.  

Who’s the better manger who can work within our framework right now?

I don’t think sacking Johnson and floating for the rest of the season with McCallister as interim is viable 

For years Warnock wanted to manage Bristol City.

Why?

Because his family home was in Cornwall, and he was commuting to manage Palace, QPR,  Leeds, Rotherham. As he was driving 6 hours to get to work, he drove past Bristol and looked with envy at his 'local' Championship team, from the point of view of Cornwall. 

Also, QPR, Palace, and Leeds, were off the field basket cases. Whereas Bristol City had the stability that came from Lansdown.

That was why Warnock never made a fuss when he was pushed by a City fan on the pitch. Why he said "I see Bristol City having a right go next season" after the 2016 City\Rotherham one all draw. He was trying to talk his way into a job.

But all that disappeared when he got his local, M5, Championship job at Cardiff.

Meanwhile Lansdown, when asked, said "Would you give him a job?" Well if I wanted someone to flatter my ego, give me dressing room gossip, repeat my buzzwords, and be paid less than the going rate because he has no experience of success, then I wouldn't, Steve.

But if I wanted someone to get promotion fast on no resources, then I would. 

But Lansdown wants a Yes Man, not a winner. Winners don't flatter his ego. They frighten it. So he appoints Tinnion, Millen, Mcallister, Jon Lansdown, Scott Murray on the kit, Lee Johnson. Jobs for the boys. Which is why Bristol City, in the sixth largest city in England, have not been in the top division for forty years, despite spending over 100 million during Lansdown's reign. And are overtaken by Blackpool, Bournemouth, and Burnley.

"I tell chairman they only have to do one thing, and that is appoint the man to do the job that they can't do" Brian Clough.

Still waiting, Steve. 

Winning football games is all that matters, I don't care if we shithouse a 1-0 every week if it meant we go up. The football we have been playing under LJ has been turgid for months. 

Warnock, McCarthy, Hughton or even Allardyce if he can be tempted would be ideal. Of course none of them guarantee promotion, but they've all at least done it previously & have some idea of what it takes. 

7 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Why?

Because his family home was in Cornwall, and he was commuting to manage Palace, QPR,  Leeds, Rotherham. As he was driving 6 hours to get to work, he drove past Bristol and looked with envy at his 'local' Championship team, from the point of view of Cornwall. 

Also, QPR, Palace, and Leeds, were off the field basket cases. Whereas Bristol City had the stability that came from Lansdown.

That was why Warnock never made a fuss when he was pushed by a City fan on the pitch. Why he said "I see Bristol City having a right go next season" after the 2016 City\Rotherham one all draw. He was trying to talk his way into a job.

But all that disappeared when he got his local, M5, Championship job at Cardiff.

Meanwhile Lansdown, when asked, said "Would you give him a job?" Well if I wanted someone to flatter my ego, give me dressing room gossip, repeat my buzzwords, and be paid less than the going rate because he has no experience of success, then I wouldn't, Steve.

But Lansdown wants a Yes Man, not a winner. Winners don't flatter his ego. They frighten it. So he appoints Tinnion, Millen, Mcallister, Jon Lansdown, Scott Murray on the kit, Lee Johnson. Jobs for the boys. Which is why Bristol City, in the sixth largest city in England, have not been in the top division for forty years, despite spending over 100 million during Lansdown's reign. And are overtaken by Blackpool, Bournemouth, and Burnley.

"I tell chairman they only have to do one thing, and that is appoint the man to do the job that they can't do" Brian Clough.

Still waiting, Steve. 

Can't like this post enough. Absolutely spot on.

9 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Why?

Still waiting, Steve. 

This is a really good post.

To add to it even more - wasn't Cotterill a Dawe appointment?

7 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

I dont get the obsession. People are moaning about kicking the ball up the pitch...  Guess what Colin would do. Rather stick with Johnson.

Yes, but the great difference is that Warnock is a winner. 

We’ve gone stale. The players aren’t listening and the fans increasingly disaffected. As Warnock himself observed our manager talks a good game but can he deliver? The doubts are increasing on a daily basis. 

Again, another Warnock observation.... Johnson has the best management job in football. ... and what has LJ delivered? A massive, unbalanced squad of very average, physically and mentally weak players.

You have to start wondering about our set up when the only physical specimens we have start crying off with recurring little niggles and his ‘favourites’ are shunted out to other Clubs or marginalised. 

Archived