IGNORED

Warnock til the end of the season

Up The City!

Warnock til the end of the season?  

566 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LJ is a pillar in SL's project and is therefore unmovable.  In any event, SL does not like or respect Colin as far as I am aware (who does, to be fair).

That said, Colin has proved that he can motivate and promote, so who knows?

The problem I have is that I don't know any English manager who is available who could do any better unless we are prepared to look abroad.

18 hours ago, Spud55 said:

No. 

I may be in the Johnson out camp, but if we do replace him it has to be with a considered appointment to play the style of football that Johnson wants to play but can't for some strange reason. 

The club and Johnson have done so much work in building the culture of the club, the whole point of the way the club is set up starting with the work that SO'D did, is that we have a philosophy in the way we play that transcends individual managers and provides continuity when you do have to change manager. 

Bringing in Warnock throws that all out the window for me, the way we are playing now is like a Warnock side, so if we did bring him in, our season may pan out not differently than it will with LJ in charge, and if we make the top 6 (which we could anyway) realistically you have to offer him a longer contract for a year or two and then you have to sign his players and you throw away everything that many people have worked in thankless tasks to achieve over the last 5+ years. 

For the same reason I'm not certain I'd want Houghton. 

Look at Swansea, they for the longest time had a philosophy as a club in the way they played, they threw this in the bin at the altar of Premier league survival and its taken them until now to recover, by going back to what they do and playing football their way. 

Ive suggested someone on another thread who has previously got a team promoted on a budget and played g0ood football doing it. 

Nigel Adkins Imo. 

16 hours ago, Boston Red said:

For years Warnock wanted to manage Bristol City.

Why?

Because his family home was in Cornwall, and he was commuting to manage Palace, QPR,  Leeds, Rotherham. As he was driving 6 hours to get to work, he drove past Bristol and looked with envy at his 'local' Championship team, from the point of view of Cornwall. 

Also, QPR, Palace, and Leeds, were off the field basket cases. Whereas Bristol City had the stability that came from Lansdown.

That was why Warnock never made a fuss when he was pushed by a City fan on the pitch. Why he said "I see Bristol City having a right go next season" after the 2016 City\Rotherham one all draw. He was trying to talk his way into a job.

But all that disappeared when he got his local, M5, Championship job at Cardiff.

Meanwhile Lansdown, when asked, said "Would you give him a job?" Well if I wanted someone to flatter my ego, give me dressing room gossip, repeat my buzzwords, and be paid less than the going rate because he has no experience of success, then I wouldn't, Steve.

But if I wanted someone to get promotion fast on no resources, then I would. 

But Lansdown wants a Yes Man, not a winner. Winners don't flatter his ego. They frighten it. So he appoints Tinnion, Millen, Mcallister, Jon Lansdown, Scott Murray on the kit, Lee Johnson. Jobs for the boys. Which is why Bristol City, in the sixth largest city in England, have not been in the top division for forty years, despite spending over 100 million during Lansdown's reign. And are overtaken by Blackpool, Bournemouth, and Burnley.

"I tell chairman they only have to do one thing, and that is appoint the man to do the job that they can't do" Brian Clough.

Still waiting, Steve. 

Would just like to point out the above, WTF has the kit man got to do with anything? A club legend, who genuinely loves the club and from personal experience couldn't of went anymore out of his way to help us out when my son was mascot away at Charlton and the team coach arrived late.

42 minutes ago, Spike said:

No, he wouldn't be able to make the changes needed in that period of time. This season is LJ's, a new manager for next season is not something I'd oppose. 

Bull. He joined QPR and Rotherham in March and February and led them both to safety, Rotherham being the more impressive case as they were down and out and relegation certainties before his arrival. 

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Love how lots of people who’ve slagged off NW relentlessly in the past and ridiculed my support for his skills are now clamouring to get him in as our gaffer - you can’t choreograph comedy quite like that! ?

Ive always backed your views on Warnock BS4. His record speaks for itself at this level, a top top championship manager that there is no doubt.

To use LJ’s own terminology it genuinely feels like its ‘written in the stars’ for Warnock to come in now and deliver this club top flight football.. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Ive always backed your views on Warnock BS4. His record speaks for itself at this level, a top top championship manager that there is no doubt.

To use LJ’s own terminology it genuinely feels like its ‘written in the stars’ for Warnock to come in now and deliver this club top flight football.. 

Especially when you consider on Saturday we play Barnsley, LJs old club. I still dont think their fans have forgiven him for leaving. Oh and Colin is a Yorkshireman who once played for Barnsley. It is actually written in the stars isnt it? ?? 

If a decision was made in the not to distant future to dismiss Lee, then Colin represents our best chance of success this season. Hes already made it clear in the press he is only interested in a job til the summer. He is one of the only managers you could bring in that is capable of working with the squad we have got. He has a history of going into clubs and delivering short term success and getting the best out of the players already in situ.

The alternative is you leave Jamie Mac and Dean Holden in charge until a long term replacement is found, history suggests that SL likes to take his time when appointing managers. Our season could be over and done with by the time a new manager comes in and whoever he is, he may not be able to get the best out of the players here. He may require a few windows to get the squad in the shape he wants it to be before we start to see results. 

Best option, get Colin in til the end of the season, assisted by Jamie Mac and Dean Holden and give ourselves a few months to look for the right man to lead us for the next few years. IF Colin were somehow able to get us up, we'd have our pick of managers not just from this country but also from abroad. 

• Admin
30 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Especially when you consider on Saturday we play Barnsley, LJs old club. I still dont think their fans have forgiven him for leaving. Oh and Colin is a Yorkshireman who once played for Barnsley. It is actually written in the stars isnt it? ?? 

If a decision was made in the not to distant future to dismiss Lee, then Colin represents our best chance of success this season. Hes already made it clear in the press he is only interested in a job til the summer. He is one of the only managers you could bring in that is capable of working with the squad we have got. He has a history of going into clubs and delivering short term success and getting the best out of the players already in situ.

The alternative is you leave Jamie Mac and Dean Holden in charge until a long term replacement is found, history suggests that SL likes to take his time when appointing managers. Our season could be over and done with by the time a new manager comes in and whoever he is, he may not be able to get the best out of the players here. He may require a few windows to get the squad in the shape he wants it to be before we start to see results. 

Best option, get Colin in til the end of the season, assisted by Jamie Mac and Dean Holden and give ourselves a few months to look for the right man to lead us for the next few years. IF Colin were somehow able to get us up, we'd have our pick of managers not just from this country but also from abroad. 

Is it not a bit disrespectful to be calling for a Manager to be appointed, yet using a derogatory name for him, why not Neil, or Warnock?

23 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Is it not a bit disrespectful to be calling for a Manager to be appointed, yet using a derogatory name for him, why not Neil, or Warnock?

Only if I was using it in a derogatory way which clearly I'm not. 

Considering in the past Colin himself has said things like when he dies he wants a minutes worth of booing instead of silence or clapping at Ashton Gate. I don't think he for one second would find my use of the word Colin, in the context I'm using it, as disrespectful. He would probably view it as a compliment and as a term of endearment.

Neil Warnock should have been City Manager years ago when Gary Johnson was ousted.

Why not bring in Warnock, have LJ stay, but defer to Warnock and learn along the way.  Warnock leaves at the end of the season.  LJ takes learnings (hopefully) into the Premier League.

I don't think Warnock and LJ get on, do they, so a very difficult situation.  Also, possibly confusing and the divided loyalties in the dressing room post Warnock.  It could be a case of we play this way to get up and Warnock knows how to do that and then we revert to the club model when (hopefully) promoted.

Stupid idea I know, but it would be interesting.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There is no way Warnock would follow the clubs philosophy. So absolutely no chance Lansdown would ever want him.

I don't think he really has to 

He only wants to work until the summer - give him the job, see what he can stir up within the team, get a long term replacement in during the summer that buys into this "philosophy"

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

I don't think he really has to 

He only wants to work until the summer - give him the job, see what he can stir up within the team, get a long term replacement in during the summer that buys into this "philosophy"

Rather have LJ. He has us a point off of playoffs and playing long ball in a lot of games.

17 hours ago, Dredd said:

Warnock till the end of the season, Premier League footy, 100mil in the bank and 3 years of parachute payments if we go down?

Who isn’t taking that in all honesty. Sets us up as a club for the next 5-10 years if managed properly. 

disclaimer - this isn’t me saying Colin guarantees any of the above

One year parachute payment if you are immediately relegated.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Neil Warnock is like the Red Adair of football. He'll name his price and tell you who his backroom team are going to be - that'll be Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson... no 'ifs or buts". Things get done on Neil Warnock's terms, always!

• Admin
2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Rather have LJ. He has us a point off of playoffs and playing long ball in a lot of games.

Playing depressingly dull football with 1 or 2 shots maximum on target per game

I think I'd rather Warnocks wife at this stage!

On 16/01/2020 at 01:33, Up The City! said:

Bull. He joined QPR and Rotherham in March and February and led them both to safety, Rotherham being the more impressive case as they were down and out and relegation certainties before his arrival. 

LJ saved us from relegation, we're talking about getting promotion. 

We don't have the squad to get promoted without a lot of luck and if he were to come in today he'd have less than 2 weeks to buy and sell to get the changes required. We don't have hardly any "Warnock players", he'd need more than half a season and less than two weeks transfer deadlines to change us from a mid table team to a promotion challenger. 

Archived