Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Badger08

LJ Outers - Help convince me

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

We aren’t Barcelona. Barcelona fans can have that entitlement because they are one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

Im happy we are 1 point off the playoffs in a very competitive league given our stature and I would be ecstatic if we were 3rd in 5 weeks.

No we aren't. one point would not put us in the top 6 !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh dear, you don't remember Pulis then I take it? That said it was only half a season! 

Always assumed you'd supported or been going to City longer than 10 years...value for money or perception thereof is of course down to the individual, personally I think decent aspects of the game here in general are overpriced but there we go. 

O'Driscoll was certainly worse when weighting for division etc, Cotts half season at this level, McInnes, Millen,  caretaker stint aside...the Coppell debacle. 

Interested in why now is the tipping point for you.

Take it you don't recall Benny, the 8 years in League One, incorporating as it did Pulis and Tinnion reigns. 

I'm not necessarily pro LJ in but we've seen quite a bit worse!

No mate only been living in Bristol 12 years 10 of those as ST holder. I only saw one season of Gary Johsnson so not as seasoned as many others on here.

I think part of it is the match day experience, yes we were awful under SoD and at times McInnes but the East End sort of made up for it - it was still a fun day out. 

Atmosphere is only good when we are playing well, and on the whole we havnt played well at home for a long time. I know it sounds harsh but going to city is a bit boring sometimes ... maybe I just dont really love the game anymore. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

on the whole we havnt played well at home for a long time. I know it sounds harsh but going to city is a bit boring sometimes ... maybe I just dont really love the game anymore. 

Nail on head - the football played predominantly at Ashton Gate with just the odd exception has been dull and boring.    We need a new broom to bring some life back into the club we love.

DQ

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

But the fans that feel like that must be incredibly entitled.

Sorry to break it to you, but Bristol City are arguably not even one of the top 30 biggest clubs in the country. So if we were sitting 3rd, even 9th in our current position, everyone should be happy. Yet there are all these weird folk on here who seem to be unable to feel that emotion.

Assume you have witnessed the constantly turgid dross we have suffered for numerous weeks now? 

Game after game witnessing at best 1 or 2 shots on target in a game 

Our only victories recently came against the bottom two teams in the league 

To think people make comments like we don't want Warnock as the football would be boring,  but at least we may finally see some bite back in the side

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

Sorry to break it to you, but Bristol City are arguably not even one of the top 30 biggest clubs in the country. So if we were sitting 3rd, even 9th in our current position, everyone should be happy. Yet there are all these weird folk on here who seem to be unable to feel that emotion.

Couldn’t agree more. 

you’re never going to convince the people who have an agenda against LJ to be happy. We could get promoted this season and they would still be miserable

• Thanks 1
  • Hedgehog 1
  • Rovers 2

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Assume you have witnessed the constantly turgid dross we have suffered for numerous weeks now? 

Game after game witnessing at best 1 or 2 shots on target in a game 

Our only victories recently came against the bottom two teams in the league 

To think people make comments like we don't want Warnock as the football would be boring,  but at least we may finally see some bite back in the side

I have witnessed it, couldn’t care less about it. It’s a result game. And yes, the results haven’t been great, but we are still in a good position in the league, and I can’t see no reason not to give the manager a chance to turn it around. If he doesn’t, then fair enough, all these LJ outers may have a leg to stand on, but at the moment I personally do not think they do.

I would argue that even if Warnock was our manager right now, the entitlement is so rich in this fan base they would even be calling for his head.

Edited by Famara's Party Hat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Rovers 1

7 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

you’re never going to convince the people who have an agenda against LJ to be happy. We could get promoted this season and they would still be miserable

Different opinion = agenda.

Really desperate.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Rovers 1

33 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Ok two points or 1 point and 12 goals. Still happy with that for now.

Not really because 2 points is 2 games that we draw and everyone else loses. We are actually 3 points off the play offs (if everyone else loses) if you are talking one game.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

Not as desperate as LJ outers trying to pull reason out of thin air to fulfil their agenda.

LJ outers are outers because they consider your man to be the wrong man to take the club forwards.

Same as when people wanted rid of all the managers who preceeded him.

Difference being, when they wanted rid of them there was no "agenda" simply change was needed.

Current league position means nothing, people have seen the same thing for a couple of seasons now and are fed up of it.

Just opinions, you have yours I have mine get used to it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Different opinion = agenda.

Really desperate.

14 minutes ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

Not as desperate as LJ outers trying to pull reason out of thin air to fulfil their agenda.

There is a real sense of irony and hypocrisy in these replies

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

LJ outers are outers because they consider your man to be the wrong man to take the club forwards.

Same as when people wanted rid of all the managers who preceeded him.

Difference being, when they wanted rid of them there was no "agenda" simply change was needed.

Current league position means nothing, people have seen the same thing for a couple of seasons now and are fed up of it.

Just opinions, you have yours I have mine get used to it.

But what is the problem with current? In my eyes their isn’t one. We are sat just outside the playoffs, what is the problem with that? Why do you think change is needed when we are in this position? Shouldn’t the fan base be support the manager who got us there in a push to get us into the playoffs? 

Therefore, the only conclusion that many of us who support the manger can come to is an sense of entitlement and agenda. 

Did Fulham fans call for Parker’s head after a bad run of form at the start of the season saw them fall to 12th? They actually would’ve had a reason to call for his head, because they are entitled to be upset in that position because of recent club history. Bristol City fans are not.

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

There is a real sense of irony and hypocrisy in these replies

I could sense my own irony, perhaps I should’ve ended my comment with a 😉.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

People pay a lot of money to be entertained at football, they are entitled to whatever they want and no amount of happy clappers or Agenda holding outers say will change that

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

It’s **** all to do with an agenda and you constantly bringing it up renders your argument pointless as you won’t accept other people’s opinion,

i like Johnson I liked him as a player and defended him all the time as a player 

he is inept as a manager his tactics are confusing and his brand of football is boring slow and predictable

people have rightly said the performances are not good enough, that has been mentioned on sky when we are playing 

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

People pay a lot of money to be entertained at football, they are entitled to whatever they want and no amount of happy clappers or Agenda holding outers say will change that

LJ had us playing entertaining football before, he has been recruiting players to get us to play that kind of football again, but current form and unfortunate injuries throughout the season has prevented it. Perhaps support your manager rather than call for his head at this vital stage of the season.

Would you be happy with Warnock in charge? Playing his type of football? I’d guess you want him sacked even if we were 1st-6th if what you want is entertaining football.

• Unicorn 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It’s **** all to do with an agenda and you constantly bringing it up renders your argument pointless as you won’t accept other people’s opinion,

i like Johnson I liked him as a player and defended him all the time as a player 

he is inept as a manager his tactics are confusing and his brand of football is boring slow and predictable

people have rightly said the performances are good enough, that has been mentioned on sky when we are playing 

Fair play if that’s your opinion.

but you cannot say that some/a lot of the people who want him gone do not have an agenda against LJ.

• Hmmm 1
  • Rovers 1

A fair number of those of us wanting LJ out have put time and effort into explaining exactly why that should be the case - in our opinions.

3/4 pages later folk pitch up asserting that the only reasons must be 'agendas' and 'entitlement'.

Do the homework guys/gals. It's all here in this thread. @Badger08 had done you a favour starting it. I suggest you do a bit of reading and then take some time to post articulate counter arguments if you want to be taken seriously.

EDIT: ...the emoji response suggests that @Famara's Party Hat clearly doesn't want to be taken seriously! Each to his own.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 3
  • Rovers 1

15 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Fair play if that’s your opinion.

but you cannot say that some/a lot of the people who want him gone do not have an agenda against LJ.

I can say that because the majority don’t have an agenda, most are just fed up,

the agenda thing goes along with your fictional posts about people wanting city to lose against Wigan, they aren’t true 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

A fair number of those of us wanting LJ out have put time and effort into explaining exactly why that should be the case - in our opinions.

3/4 pages later folk pitch up asserting that the only reasons must be 'agendas' and 'entitlement'.

Do the homework guys/gals. It's all here in this thread. @Badger08 had done you a favour starting it. I suggest you do a bit of reading and then take some time to post articulate counter arguments if you want to be taken seriously.

The claims of entitlement arise from many of the responses expecting the club to be in a higher position than it is currently in. I’d argue the club is currently meeting expectations while sat in 9th position just outside the playoffs. It’s not a shock to the general footballing public that we are in this position, so why is it such a bad circumstance for our fanbase?

Calling for the sacking of your manager when you are sat just outside the playoffs is utterly ridiculous. We as a fanbase should be supporting the man.

Imagine crying about a reaction to your post 😂.

1 minute ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

The claims of entitlement arise from many of the responses expecting the club to be in a higher position than it is currently in. I’d argue the club is currently meeting expectations while sat in 9th position just outside the playoffs. It’s not a shock to the general footballing public that we are in this position, so why is such a bad circumstance for our fanbase?

Calling for the sacking of your manager when you are sat just outside the playoffs is utterly ridiculous. We as a fanbase should be supporting the man.

Read the flipping thread, it explains why people are fed up,

10 minutes ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

Imagine crying about a reaction to your post 😂.

'crying'? I actually think it's quite funny...you immediately revealed yourself not to be a poster worth taking much notice of.

It's also a prefect illustration of the contrast between those on here trying have a debate and understand the other point of view and those just shooting from the hip. As I say, each to his own.

Edited by Red Exile

6 minutes ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

I have read it, and I’m expressing my opinion on it.

They are also expressing their opinions which is what you seem to be having an issue with............it's just their opinion which is the polar opposite to your own.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

'crying'? I actually think it's quite funny...you immediately revealed yourself not to be a poster worth taking much notice of.

It's also a prefect illustration of the contrast between those on here trying have a debate and understand the other point of view and those just shooting from the hip. As I say, each to his own.

If you weren’t so upset about the reaction why would you mention it?

Couldn’t careless if you don’t want to take notice of me! Move along!

I’d say I’ve been having quite the healthy discussion with a few on here already, but as you have very clearly said, each to his own.

3 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

They are also expressing their opinions which is what you seem to be having an issue with............it's just their opinion which is the polar opposite to your own.

I don’t have any issue with their opinion, I’m just providing my own which is an argument against said opinion. Is that not allowed?

9 minutes ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

If you weren’t so upset about the reaction why would you mention it?

Couldn’t careless if you don’t want to take notice of me! Move along!

I’d say I’ve been having quite the healthy discussion with a few on here already, but as you have very clearly said, each to his own.

'so upset'...look, years of posting on here inoculate you against taking things to heart!

If you want to be taken seriously react appropriately. If you don't why bother posting. No one minds challenges to their opinions. Turd emojis are laughable!

EDIT: thanks @Famara's Party Hat for the like!

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

'so upset'...look, years of posting on here inoculate you against taking things to heart!

If you want to be taken seriously react appropriately. If you don't why bother posting. No one minds challenges to their opinions. Turd emojis are laughable!

Based on the reaction emojis that are available, I’d like think they are to be seen as a bit of a laugh. Not a full expression of exact opinion on the post!

But I’ll take your opinion in mind and react in the appropriate manner in future to your posts.

• Robin 1

Life is all about opinions, Brexit and the recent general election spring to mind -  and football is no different. Im in the LJ out camp, I can understand peoples argument that we are 1 or 2 points outside the playoffs etc, but I just think that with the resources he has to hand, i.e the squad, then we should be playing more consistently, creating more chances, scoring more goals and playing more attractive football. There are a lot of talented players in the squad who for whatever reason have had their creative abilities nullified. I know that football like lots of sports these days is a stats game, but cross field and back passes cant be a stat high on many peoples list of success.

The Championship is very unpredictable with upsets every week. That being the case im sure that we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season even with LJ still in charge. But the style of football just leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

8 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

Life is all about opinions, Brexit and the recent general election spring to mind -  and football is no different. Im in the LJ out camp, I can understand peoples argument that we are 1 or 2 points outside the playoffs etc, but I just think that with the resources he has to hand, i.e the squad, then we should be playing more consistently, creating more chances, scoring more goals and playing more attractive football. There are a lot of talented players in the squad who for whatever reason have had their creative abilities nullified. I know that football like lots of sports these days is a stats game, but cross field and back passes cant be a stat high on many peoples list of success.

The Championship is very unpredictable with upsets every week. That being the case im sure that we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season even with LJ still in charge. But the style of football just leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

that does seem to be the general theme among the comments

4 hours ago, Famara's Party Hat said:

We are arguably "bigger" than 2 or 3 clubs currently in the Premiership and "as big as" another 3 or 4.

All clubs at some point punch above and below their weight - except for the past 40 years Bristol City, always below.

During that time we've seen the clubs referred to above in the Premiership plus the likes of Wigan, Fulham, Swindon, Reading, Swansea, Millwall, Hull, Cardiff, Blackburn, Charlton, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Blackpool, Wimbledon, Bradford, surge past us into the top flight. Are other teams such as Bolton, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Coventry, QPR, Middlesborough, Derby, Birmingham, Stoke, really any "bigger" than us?

Every other team comparable to us plus some much smaller have had their day in the sun, the fact is its under achievement, particularly over the past 4 seasons since serious money started getting splashed out on players.

• Like 7

What is this constant theme of some regarding agendas against LJ. To have an agenda it would suggest an organized covert campaign against the bloke....Is there actually an LJ out club who meets to review the minutes of this weeks attempts to oust the said manager > Can someone let me know?

However my thought is the bloke is not really good enough as a manager and a motivator (a point touched on recently by a highly regarded former player). The signing of Nketiah is largely the responsibility of Mr Ashton, however did I not see a tweet from a local Journo saying LJ was in London on the day of the Shrewsbury game....This smells of Zac Clough all over again. Desperate for a mediocre player that can mess you about and chasing him around to underline that desperation and taking your eye off the big game in doing it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

We are arguably "bigger" than 2 or 3 clubs currently in the Premiership and "as big as" another 3 or 4.

All clubs at some point punch above and below their weight - except for the past 40 years Bristol City, always below.

During that time we've seen the clubs referred to above in the Premiership plus the likes of Wigan, Fulham, Swindon, Reading, Swansea, Millwall, Hull, Cardiff, Blackburn, Charlton, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Blackpool, Wimbledon, Bradford, surge past us into the top flight. Are other teams such as Bolton, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Coventry, QPR, Middlesborough, Derby, Birmingham, Stoke, really any "bigger" than us?

Every other team comparable to us plus some much smaller have had their day in the sun, the fact is its under achievement, particularly over the past 4 seasons since serious money started getting splashed out on players.

Spoilsport

And Nick , lets not remind anyone that allegedly the reason we appointed and have stuck by Johnson is to benefit by giving him time to impose a way of playing , a playing ethos , across the club and to give him the time to build a promotion challenging side

Amongst a number of glaring flaws he’s failing on both main reasons we were meant to give him more time than any other manager at this level is indulged

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

We need a winner in charge. Pre contract agreement with big mick to take over after the euros would be ideal.

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

We need a winner in charge. Pre contract agreement with big mick to take over after the euros would be ideal.

We won't employ McCarthy anytime soon. It'll be someone who agrees to buy into the club's philosophy. Far more likely a younger up and coming manager or a coach from abroad. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We won't employ McCarthy anytime soon. It'll be someone who agrees to buy into the club's philosophy. Far more likely a younger up and coming manager or a coach from abroad. 

Or an internal appointment ffs......!

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Or one who has worked with a director of football model

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Do we know this for certain? You could argue Cotts didn't come across as a perfect fit for the clubs philosophy and SL hired him. What's saying SL doesn't fancy mixing it up? 

You could say he's a lot less likely to take a managerial risk at this higher level due to the amount of money involved tbf

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yeah that was what I was getting at, someone who's either familiar with a set up like ours or prepared to acquiesce to it because they want the job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Do we know this for certain? You could argue Cotts didn't come across as a perfect fit for the clubs philosophy and SL hired him. What's saying SL doesn't fancy mixing it up? 

You could say he's a lot less likely to take a managerial risk at this higher level due to the amount of money involved tbf

I think Cotterill was a Dawe appointment and the philosophy of the club has evolved significantly since that time. It was a totally different set of circumstances. In it's current form it started when Ashton arrived full time and Johnson was appointed shortly afterwards. 

A few years ago we had the whole '5 pillars' thing which the club still uses parts of today. It's always going to evolve. 

It does depend how rigid SL is to his ideas about how the club should be run. If we're top 10 and LJ goes i'm pretty sure they won't throw the 'baby out with the bathwater' and rip it up because a lot of it is about financial sustainability. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Cotterill was a Dawe appointment and the philosophy of the club has evolved significantly since that time. In it's current form it arrived when Ashton arrived full time and Johnson was appointed shortly afterwards. 

A few years ago we had the whole '5 pillars' thing which the club still uses parts of today. It's always going to evolve. 

It does depend how rigid SL is to his ideas about how the club should be run. If we're top 10 and LJ goes i'm pretty sure they won't throw the 'baby out with the bathwater' and rip it up because a lot of it is about financial sustainability. 

Agreed the business model is sound and has worked to a degree,

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spoilsport

And Nick , lets not remind anyone that allegedly the reason we appointed and have stuck by Johnson is to benefit by giving him time to impose a way of playing , a playing ethos , across the club and to give him the time to build a promotion challenging side

Amongst a number of glaring flaws he’s failing on both main reasons we were meant to give him more time than any other manager at this level is indulged

Quite, and here's the "to be fair to LJ" bit - to be fair to LJ we are currently a promotion challenging side.

However, going back to my summary of the past 40 years, this being of course that it started with the fall from Division to One to Division Four, going bust and several years of recovery, a recovery which was largely completed with promotion back to the second tier in 2007, which is when it should have really kicked on, yet somehow in 2013 we found ourselves back in Division 3. 

If we regress again, that will be the second time, "coincidentally" under father and son managers.

My point being, I'd say the pressure is huge not just on Johnson but also SteveL, who in the past 12 years has seen so many of those teams I mentioned above overtake us, and really should be presiding by now over a team which had tasted top flight football during his ownership, but in my view will miss out, again, on a golden opportunity with his current managerial decision.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

15 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Or an internal appointment ffs......!

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I agree all that more likely. Just wish they’d  roll the dice like they have with the rugby team. I believe this is the best squad we’ve had since we were last in the top division and want to see its potential realised.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Cotterill was a Dawe appointment and the philosophy of the club has evolved significantly since that time. In it's current form it arrived when Ashton arrived full time and Johnson was appointed shortly afterwards. 

I agree with that, but I've noticed SL hires managers that'll push the clubs current situation. Cotts was good for poaching the top players when we were a big fish. LJ got us afloat and stable (most likely that's what SL has wanted all along).

But as a club our situation is different to when we brought in a stable manager like you say. We tickle the top 10 now. Will he choose a manager up a gear like Cotts to LJ? I'd like to think so. Sometimes you gotta look at the past to guess the future, and I see LJ and Cotts being quite different managers 👀

I just see plenty of people assuming if LJ went we'd get a sideways step quality of a manager. I question it 

2 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

I agree all that more likely. Just wish they’d  roll the dice like they have with the rugby team. I believe this is the best squad we’ve had since we were last in the top division and want to see its potential realised.

I think the key difference with rugby is that unlike football they aren't subject to stringent FFP rules in the same way. That does make it quite difficult for clubs like ours to just buy success.

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

I agree with that, but I've noticed SL hires managers that'll push the clubs current situation. Cotts was good for poaching the top players when we were a big fish. LJ got us afloat and stable (most likely that's what SL has wanted all along).

But as a club our situation is different to when we brought in a stable manager like you say. We tickle the top 10 now. Will he choose a manager up a gear like Cotts to LJ? I'd like to think so. Sometimes you gotta look at the past to guess the future, and I see LJ and Cotts being quite different managers 👀

I just see plenty of people assuming if LJ went we'd get a sideways step quality of a manager. I question it 

Well hopefully we'd bring in someone really exciting - it's just that they'll have to work within the current model with Ashton being involved in transfers etc. I think that thins our field somewhat.

If someone like Bielsa became available just as an example and we wanted him - I don't think there's any way he'd work under those constraints. I hope our way of operating doesn't leave us hamstrung. As you say, we need to be fluid in our philosophy to adapt to the current situation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well hopefully we'd bring in someone really exciting - it's just that they'll have to work within the current model with Ashton being involved in transfers etc. I think that thins our field somewhat.

If someone like Bielsa became available just as an example and we wanted him - I don't think there's any way he'd work under those constraints. I hope our way of operating doesn't leave us hamstrung. As you say, we need to be fluid in our philosophy to adapt to the current situation. 

Took us a while Phileas but we finally had a debate that didn't end in a squabble 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the key difference with rugby is that unlike football they aren't subject to stringent FFP rules in the same way. That does make it quite difficult for clubs like ours to just buy success.

You are wrong in a way, there is a strict salary manager scheme in rugby, that’s why Scaricans had 20 points deducted this season