Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

New Dazzler

Rodri has left.

The fact he came on in two games over Christmas ahead of Semenyo, when both results were already decided, was some more absolute genius decision making from the eighth best coach in the world under the age of forty.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 17

6 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Just saw on my FB feed, seems like another one not really given a chance..not surprised though.

Mate, you surely can't be using that to have a pop at LJ! haha. 

Edited by Badger08
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, New Dazzler said:

Just saw on my FB feed, seems like another one not really given a chance..

Not really, he was only brought in as cover and that’s what he provided,

just means a striker in coming is imminent 

I don't think anyone ever thought he would be still with us after his deal ended did they?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

The fact he came on in two games over Christmas ahead of Semenyo, when both results were already decided, was some more absolute genius decision making from the eighth best coach in the world under the age of forty.

He was given too many chances. LJ out😡 

17 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Just saw on my FB feed, seems like another one not really given a chance..not surprised though.

He wasn’t given enough chances. LJ out 😡

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Another amazing LJ signing, who was it he brought in last year, cant think of his name now? 

He was signed in the first place. LJ out 😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

1 minute ago, Notbarrymanc said:

He was given too many chances. LJ out😡 

I mean I’d think it was obvious why those minutes should have been given to a young lad who may become a first team player for the club in time rather than a bloke who was leaving in less than a month. 

But yeah you’re spot on with the second part. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whether he was played too much or too little is a bit subjective but the end result is, predictably, that he's now gone anyway.

It's my view that those 151 league minutes he was given would've been better off given to the likes of Semenyo, Szmodics and Palmer.  And that we'd be better off trying to build some consistency in our team selection rather than just hoping to strike it lucky with a random guy nobody else wanted.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Another signing where we shake our head and ask "why were they signed?"

Not really, at the time we only had wienman available (fam was banned)

it made perfect sense 

• Like 5

What kind of message does it send to Semenyo and Szmodics when a complete stab in the dark is given first team minutes ahead of them?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Looked decent against Luton and Charlton, presumably terrible v Wigan and never seen again.

Was he that bad in the Wigan game?

Not really 

4 minutes ago, Roe said:

What kind of message does it send to Semenyo and Szmodics when a complete stab in the dark is given first team minutes ahead of them?

That they to up their standard? 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not really, at the time we only had wienman available (fam was banned)

it made perfect sense 

Semenyo?

Szmodics?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Semenyo?

Szmodics?

One lacks experience the other is an attacking midfielder,

nether given a chance granted

5 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

That they to up their standard? 

Maybe that was the intention but I think it's inexcusable.  The squad was too big as it was.

6 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

🎶Matty taylor is a red🎵

I still don't get why we don't recall him,not a prolific goal scorer but an absolute pain in the arse for opposition defenders

• Like 6

Gutted. All the best for the future Rodri. I will follow your career with much interest.

• Haha 3

Free agent so could be signed outside of the window. It was a short term deal, he had a reasonable pedigree and experience. We were even shorter of players in that department at the time. If he made more of an impression [like Ashley Williams did] I'm sure his deal would have been extended. He didn't. No one knows how it will work out and sometimes you just don't get the rub of the green.

KP45 & Szmodics are different types of players.

Semenyo is raw and sadly has been unable to make the grade up at present.

Ashley Williams as an example, could have turned out to be a lumbering cart horse and a fish out of water but he hasn't and has actually turned out to be a master stroke. But let's not let that bit of genius recruitment & coaching stand in the way of some having another sideways swipe at LJ.

• Like 2

Rodri was pants and clearly a stop gap with no intention of signing him. 

I wouldn’t recall Taylor as he will just sit on the bench and get 7 minutes here and there to ‘put himself about’. 

waste of time. 

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

I still don't get why we don't recall him,not a prolific goal scorer but an absolute pain in the arse for opposition defenders

Been reported that he's happy at Oxford and wants to stay there and City are happy with that.

• Like 1

Would we have known had he not been here?  Another LJ hit or miss? Let me think Fir half a second, bits a kiss for me. 
About 1/4 as effective as Matty Taylor but LJ knows best. 

• Hedgehog 1
  • Rovers 1

57 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

He was litter

Another victim of the Weimann and Diedhiou Good Ol' Boys team

EDIT: Hey, it's Diedhiou AND Weimann who are undroppable now, at least that's some progress from last year amirite

Edited by sephjnr
  • Haha 1
  • Rovers 1

54 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Purely down to LJ hoping he would score and confirm that bringing him to Bristol was a good idea! The other side of the coin is Semenyo, bringing him on when the game is gone so he can say I told you so!

25 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

🎶Matty taylor is a red🎵

Matty Taylor would have been better, at least he puts himself about and not be bullied like some other players.

• Like 2

There's that absolutely incredible bit of strength, balance, and hold up play that he did right before the Palmer pass to Brownhill which effectively won us that game.

Then nothing else. At all.

But thanks for that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Roe said:

Maybe that was the intention but I think it's inexcusable.  The squad was too big as it was.

What, with all our in form strikers? Semenyo had had plenty of opportunities to impress, playing ahead of Diedhiou but failed to take his opportunity, Weimann never stays up top as a striker is expected to & that left who on the back of Afobe picking up a long term injury?

Palmer to play out of position while people we constantly moaning about square pegs in round holes? Or that prolific U18’s / U23’s striker that we don’t seemingly have?

Rodri came in on a short term contract on what I would assume was low wages to give us cover while offering a bit of experience, it was a low risk move. Semenyo has been linked with loan moves during this month, maybe the decision was taken to not put him into any first team action at the risk of damaging his already fragile confidence with the supporters already in an aggressive mood, so he was being protected?

Like I said, maybe if Semenyo, Palmer or Szmodics had performed in training / U23 games they would of been given more chances.

Edited by Tipps69
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Super said:

Gutted. All the best for the future Rodri. I will follow your career with much interest.

This. Sad times. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

Another signing of no fixed ability. Rodrigo. Well, the go was right.

16 minutes ago, Prinny said:

There's that absolutely incredible bit of strength, balance, and hold up play that he did right before the Palmer pass to Brownhill which effectively won us that game.

Then nothing else. At all.

But thanks for that.

If those 2 points are the difference to us making the play-offs and ultimately getting promotion (yeah right!) then his contribution will have been a vital one (along with any other players who have helped us pick up points of course!)

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

seems like another one not really given a chance..not surprised though.

He was signed as cover for the loss of Afobe and failed to impress during the cameos he got. To say he wasn’t given a chance is a ludicrous thing to say...................:cool2:

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Another, barely used, poorly scouted player. 

I really think he would have been a great strike partner for Diohny, they would have been on the same wavelength. 

"Superman" and Lois!  :grr:

Stupid signing. We’ll never see the next Bryan or Reid able to make mistakes, grow then flourish if we keep signing these dumb squad fillers. Squad fillers for a squad that doesn’t need filling. 

• Like 3
  • Unicorn 1

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Squad fillers for a squad that doesn’t need filling.

If the squad is enough with what we have, then why is it only working 1 game in 4 or 5?