IGNORED

Baker

t_b

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

Ever had a really bad cold that makes you feel awful? If so could you give your best playing at 100% for 90 minutes?

So awful he is hugging and walking around and arm with Dan bently in the tunnel? He must be really poorly and great news sharing it with teammates 

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Do you understand how sickness bugs or cold virus work?!

Absolutely. But do you not understand it's a five-second clip of a man smiling while hugging another man, nothing more, nothing less? He could literally be on his way out of the toilet having thrown his guts up there? We have no idea.

You're being hysterical.

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Think LJs comments about him earlier were pretty unnecessary imo. Especially for someone who’s been so strong for us so far this season 

I think LJ wasn't annoyed at him, but annoyed about having to change the shape last minute, especially after the training sessions.

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I think LJ wasn't annoyed at him, but annoyed about having to change the shape last minute, especially after the training sessions.

Saying ‘i’d rather just concentrate on players that are fit and can play’ seemed a bit dismissive and harsh, may have simply just meant it a flippant way as you say but seemed a bit of a dig at NB. 

Ah well, 3 points! 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Saying ‘i’d rather just concentrate on players that are fit and can play’ seemed a bit dismissive and harsh, may have simply just meant it a flippant way as you say but seemed a bit of a dig at NB. 

Ah well, 3 points! 

Yes, could have been taken that way, he was probably peed off after all these injuries etc.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Absolutely. But do you not understand it's a five-second clip of a man smiling while hugging another man, nothing more, nothing less? He could literally be on his way out of the toilet having thrown his guts up there? We have no idea.

You're being hysterical.

Then he shouldn’t have gone anywhere bear a team mate surely. If he had anything like that he should have been sent straight home. 

Bit of an overreaction to a throwaway moment, but I can see why LJ is annoyed. He does seem incredibly fragile on the face of it. Villa fans made similar comments, one in work said something to me like 'great player when he fancies playing, shame about the 10 times a year he doesn't', which at the time I thought was a bizarre comment but I guess he was similarly fragile there.

I don't think LJ was annoyed. He was just describing his mindset for a situation where he had to make very late adjustments and, quite rightly, gave Baker's performances very high praise for this season.   

"Unfortunately about an hour and 20 minutes ago I found out he was ill and not well. Throwing up in the trauma room that we have," Johnson said."Which is disappointing because I think he's been absolutely fantastic so far this season. But you quickly have to move on and put all your energy and focus into the ones that are fit and ready to play."

NB does miss a few games each season and signals to comes off every now and again.  City have such a professional set-up these days and focus on the marginal improvements they can make. So if NB needs support - whether it be for enhanced mental strength, anxiety or a physical ailment - then support will be given.

Still, who'd have thought that Ashley Williams and Taylor Moore would be the solid central defence pairing this season.  After the Leeds Match I thought we might struggle with the back four.  It's a sign of a very good manager if he consistently gets the best out of players and LJ seems to be able to do that.

It doesn’t really matter what was wrong with Baker today as that was a one off. What is important is his unbelievable ability to find some new injury / illness to result in him leaving the pitch early / not starting at all. I’ve been supporting City since the days of writing with quill pens and can’t remember anyone remotely as bad. 

Today aside there is something not right with Baker's ability to judge his own injuries/fitness.

He's a tough competitor and rarely shirks his responsibility. Always gets his tackles and headers in. No criticism from me in this respect. And we definitely need him in the team.

But, I've never known a player to be subbed off by his own choice so regularly for seemingly little reason. Obviously I can't tell whether he is injured or not but 90% of the time he's fit enough for the next match.

Hyperaware of injury? Incredibly quick recovery?

To me, he appears to convince himself that he can't play on.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It doesn’t really matter what was wrong with Baker today as that was a one off. What is important is his unbelievable ability to find some new injury / illness to result in him leaving the pitch early / not starting at all. I’ve been supporting City since the days of writing with quill pens and can’t remember anyone remotely as bad. 

Wish I'd got my post in first ??

I'll be shocked if Baker ever gets a new deal. We will want an upgrade. Moore is heading towards being an upgrade. Kalas is better. 

Baker is apparently one of our highest earners so I expect by next summer he will be sold and we will have a couple of new ball playing ones in.

6 hours ago, Lez said:

He needs to go off because of his hamstring? Groin? Calf?.....only to have him back straight away in next fixture.

Images released today before game show him laughing joking hugging teammates.....yet he is too sick to play? Slightly odd?

I'm not saying he is faking it, I am questioning his mental strength.....

No conspiracy theory needed, no witch hunt necessary, no referral to a psychologist needed - he just wasn’t very well today.

Blimey, this modern world is amazing, every single little detail about everyone is discussed to death on social media - Nathan wasn’t feeling well enough to play today - how did you turn that into a thread which questions his mental health?! He’s a warrior, he gives everything when he plays for our club ...

6 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

He is made of quavers and twiglets.

Unfortunately some people are like this. And I suspect with the amount of medical/psychological/dietary/ you chose, input the modern pro footballer gets , for some players it will reinforce their obsession on peak fitness. I suspect Baker is one of those players who feels the need to give everything in a game and if he's anything less than 100% in his mind will pull out.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No conspiracy theory needed, no witch hunt necessary, no referral to a psychologist needed - he just wasn’t very well today.

Blimey, this modern world is amazing, every single little detail about everyone is discussed to death on social media - Nathan wasn’t feeling well enough to play today - how did you turn that into a thread which questions his mental health?! He’s a warrior, he gives everything when he plays for our club ...

Flint is a warrior, that time he insisted on playing on for several minutes after suffering a serious knee injury which ended his season at Shrewsbury.

Kalas is a warrior, busting his jaw, but returning earlier than predicted and getting straight back in the thick of it.

Bailey Wright, playing through pain for City for weeks on end and having to miss out on representing his country afterwards because of doing so, is a warrior.

Baker, who has a record at City of sitting down on the pitch and waving his arm in the air insisting on being subbed when he feels a twinge, yet he's fit next game, a warrior?

No. An insult to true warrior footballers.

4 hours ago, Xiled said:

Today aside there is something not right with Baker's ability to judge his own injuries/fitness.

He's a tough competitor and rarely shirks his responsibility. Always gets his tackles and headers in. No criticism from me in this respect. And we definitely need him in the team.

But, I've never known a player to be subbed off by his own choice so regularly for seemingly little reason. Obviously I can't tell whether he is injured or not but 90% of the time he's fit enough for the next match.

Hyperaware of injury? Incredibly quick recovery?

To me, he appears to convince himself that he can't play on.

He knows his body.  Some players need to feel 100% to play.  Some will “give it a go” at 80%.  I used to say “I can tell Baker’s on one today” from his warm-up....and when he is on one, he’s best not playing.  Why he is like that I don’t know.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'll be shocked if Baker ever gets a new deal. We will want an upgrade. Moore is heading towards being an upgrade. Kalas is better. 

Baker is apparently one of our highest earners so I expect by next summer he will be sold and we will have a couple of new ball playing ones in.

Got 2 years left....halfway through.  Long time left.  Playing very well once we get him on the pitch!!  Will still only be 30 when contract expires.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He knows his body.  Some players need to feel 100% to play.  Some will “give it a go” at 80%.  I used to say “I can tell Baker’s on one today” from his warm-up....and when he is on one, he’s best not playing.  Why he is like that I don’t know.

Got 2 years left....halfway through.  Long time left.  Playing very well once we get him on the pitch!!  Will still only be 30 when contract expires.

True. But by next summer it will be 1 year and I predict we will sell then.

17 hours ago, Lez said:

So awful he is hugging and walking around and arm with Dan bently in the tunnel? He must be really poorly and great news sharing it with teammates 

I don't know about you but I will not be satisfied until he walks down the tunnel in tears, shunned by his team-mates, lamenting how he has let the fans down again by daring to *check notes* be injured.

15 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Then he shouldn’t have gone anywhere bear a team mate surely. If he had anything like that he should have been sent straight home. 

Yeah, point taken, but I was more making the point that we don’t know the circumstances yet we’ve got people asking the club to help Nathan Baker with his mental health. I mean...

17 hours ago, Lez said:

Do you understand how sickness bugs or cold virus work?!

I expect City's medical staff do, and if he had something contagious they wouldnt surely have had him near the rest of the squad.

If he does have something contagious then why was he amongst the palyers ?

18 hours ago, The Journalist said:

You're being hysterical.

Isn't that the point though? If he has got a bug and is "literally on his way out of the toilet having thrown his guts up" then the very last thing he should be doing is hugging a team mate. For one second, never mind 5. 

LJ really would have a reason to be annoyed if this week Bentley went down with the same bug. 

We also have no idea it is a bug that could be passed onto another player. Could be something he eat. Or he could be allergic to Reading. Anyway, on the bright side, Williams and Moore were great yesterday. And if it was a bug, we have a fortnight off so if anyone else does catch it, they’ll be fine by 19th!

Archived