Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

tommy_b

Baker

6 hours ago, Lez said:

He needs to go off because of his hamstring? Groin? Calf?.....only to have him back straight away in next fixture.

Images released today before game show him laughing joking hugging teammates.....yet he is too sick to play? Slightly odd?

I'm not saying he is faking it, I am questioning his mental strength.....

No conspiracy theory needed, no witch hunt necessary, no referral to a psychologist needed - he just wasn’t very well today.

Blimey, this modern world is amazing, every single little detail about everyone is discussed to death on social media - Nathan wasn’t feeling well enough to play today - how did you turn that into a thread which questions his mental health?! He’s a warrior, he gives everything when he plays for our club ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our centre back pairing is Ashley Williams and Taylor Moore?!! What the hell has happened in the past few months?! Bizarre.

What? An 18 French kid...that's it, City have gone mad...

6 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

He is made of quavers and twiglets.

Unfortunately some people are like this. And I suspect with the amount of medical/psychological/dietary/ you chose, input the modern pro footballer gets , for some players it will reinforce their obsession on peak fitness. I suspect Baker is one of those players who feels the need to give everything in a game and if he's anything less than 100% in his mind will pull out.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No conspiracy theory needed, no witch hunt necessary, no referral to a psychologist needed - he just wasn’t very well today.

Blimey, this modern world is amazing, every single little detail about everyone is discussed to death on social media - Nathan wasn’t feeling well enough to play today - how did you turn that into a thread which questions his mental health?! He’s a warrior, he gives everything when he plays for our club ...

Flint is a warrior, that time he insisted on playing on for several minutes after suffering a serious knee injury which ended his season at Shrewsbury.

Kalas is a warrior, busting his jaw, but returning earlier than predicted and getting straight back in the thick of it.

Bailey Wright, playing through pain for City for weeks on end and having to miss out on representing his country afterwards because of doing so, is a warrior.

Baker, who has a record at City of sitting down on the pitch and waving his arm in the air insisting on being subbed when he feels a twinge, yet he's fit next game, a warrior?

No. An insult to true warrior footballers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Xiled said:

Today aside there is something not right with Baker's ability to judge his own injuries/fitness.

He's a tough competitor and rarely shirks his responsibility. Always gets his tackles and headers in. No criticism from me in this respect. And we definitely need him in the team.

But, I've never known a player to be subbed off by his own choice so regularly for seemingly little reason. Obviously I can't tell whether he is injured or not but 90% of the time he's fit enough for the next match.

Hyperaware of injury? Incredibly quick recovery?

To me, he appears to convince himself that he can't play on.

He knows his body.  Some players need to feel 100% to play.  Some will “give it a go” at 80%.  I used to say “I can tell Baker’s on one today” from his warm-up....and when he is on one, he’s best not playing.  Why he is like that I don’t know.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'll be shocked if Baker ever gets a new deal. We will want an upgrade. Moore is heading towards being an upgrade. Kalas is better. 

Baker is apparently one of our highest earners so I expect by next summer he will be sold and we will have a couple of new ball playing ones in.

Got 2 years left....halfway through.  Long time left.  Playing very well once we get him on the pitch!!  Will still only be 30 when contract expires.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He knows his body.  Some players need to feel 100% to play.  Some will “give it a go” at 80%.  I used to say “I can tell Baker’s on one today” from his warm-up....and when he is on one, he’s best not playing.  Why he is like that I don’t know.

Got 2 years left....halfway through.  Long time left.  Playing very well once we get him on the pitch!!  Will still only be 30 when contract expires.

True. But by next summer it will be 1 year and I predict we will sell then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lez said:

So awful he is hugging and walking around and arm with Dan bently in the tunnel? He must be really poorly and great news sharing it with teammates 

I don't know about you but I will not be satisfied until he walks down the tunnel in tears, shunned by his team-mates, lamenting how he has let the fans down again by daring to *check notes* be injured.

Edited by Robin1988

15 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Then he shouldn’t have gone anywhere bear a team mate surely. If he had anything like that he should have been sent straight home. 

Yeah, point taken, but I was more making the point that we don’t know the circumstances yet we’ve got people asking the club to help Nathan Baker with his mental health. I mean...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lez said:

Do you understand how sickness bugs or cold virus work?!

I expect City's medical staff do, and if he had something contagious they wouldnt surely have had him near the rest of the squad.

If he does have something contagious then why was he amongst the palyers ?

18 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Absolutely. But do you not understand it's a five-second clip of a man smiling while hugging another man, nothing more, nothing less? He could literally be on his way out of the toilet having thrown his guts up there? We have no idea.

You're being hysterical.

Isn't that the point though? If he has got a bug and is "literally on his way out of the toilet having thrown his guts up" then the very last thing he should be doing is hugging a team mate. For one second, never mind 5. 

LJ really would have a reason to be annoyed if this week Bentley went down with the same bug. 

We also have no idea it is a bug that could be passed onto another player. Could be something he eat. Or he could be allergic to Reading. Anyway, on the bright side, Williams and Moore were great yesterday. And if it was a bug, we have a fortnight off so if anyone else does catch it, they’ll be fine by 19th!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petehinton said:

Saying ‘i’d rather just concentrate on players that are fit and can play’ seemed a bit dismissive and harsh, may have simply just meant it a flippant way as you say but seemed a bit of a dig at NB. 

Ah well, 3 points! 

He told LJ ten minutes before the teams were announced . Surely baker was ill when he got to the ground and should of told him then and seen the club doctor . I’d be pissed off as well leaving it so late. 

Why don’t we give him the benefit of doubt.  He came off v Swansea with an obvious injury (no matter the extent of it).  He sensibly didn’t make it worse.  He then was back for two important away games playing a full part in two good draws.  Had he played on he may have been out for weeks. 

Yesterday he was throwing up.  We don’t know why.

Moore and Williams were excellent.  What’s the problem?  He’ll have to wait his turn to get back in, especially with Kalas back after the break.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Isn't that the point though? If he has got a bug and is "literally on his way out of the toilet having thrown his guts up" then the very last thing he should be doing is hugging a team mate. For one second, never mind 5. 

LJ really would have a reason to be annoyed if this week Bentley went down with the same bug. 

No, the point is we have no idea.

27 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

It's a psychiatrist, not a psychologist.

As someone who is married to one, there is a huge difference.😁

Which one 😜

48 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

No, the point is we have no idea.

Which is why I started with "if".  All pure conjecture, of course, but this place wouldn't be much fun without it!!

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

It's a psychiatrist, not a psychologist.

As someone who is married to one, there is a huge difference.😁

I was married to a psycho once as well ;) :laughcont:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Clearly has a holiday booked for the international break and didn't fancy picking up an injury which would spoil that.

you say that in jest but it does come across like that sometimes.  those 2 games in his loan season where he was hell bent on getting red carded were totally baffling

On 05/10/2019 at 17:29, petehinton said:

Think LJs comments about him earlier were pretty unnecessary imo. Especially for someone who’s been so strong for us so far this season 

Yeah, could have been kept in house and made me feel a bit uncomfortable to be honest. Just a tad unnecessary

Went off again last night with a mystery injury.

LJ had this to say;

How's Nathan Baker doing?

"Not good. He's hurt his groin. Again it's another injury from Bakes and it's disappointing how many times he's been injured over my tenure here.

And it's something we've got to look a bit deeper at."

The highlighted bit is interesting.

Is it me or is LJ saying his "injuries" aren't really enough to merit a substitution ?

If he's fit for Saturday then the answer is obvious.

To me that reads as if something has to be done about it. It's a problem LJ wants to fix.

Maybe Baker's squad role is going to be reduced even more. I read that as if they can't find an appropriate fix he'll be sold this summer. 

He's on a wedge too so it must be appealing to offload him 

Edited by Sturny

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

LJ had this to say;

"Not good. He's hurt his groin. Again it's another injury from Bakes and it's disappointing how many times he's been injured over my tenure here.

Is it me or is LJ saying his "injuries" aren't really enough to merit a substitution ?

I said on the matchday thread, I'm not sure about his mental strength.  Could be way off the mark, but he's seem a bit of a hypochondriac to me. 

The 5 or 6 clubs hoping to sign B. Wright will be disappointed as we will now have to keep him, I suspect. That will also have an effect on the incomings  as we won't have his wage to 'free' up.

Thanks Nathan.

Some players are just natural permanent sick notes. No matter what they do, or how they train, they spend as much time injured as they do playing. Perhaps Baker is one of them 

3 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Incident literally right in front of where I was stood. It looked so innocuous and surprised he required attention let alone go off.

I thought it was his head, possible concussion as Bentley etc were looking into his eyes, I thought to check he was ok. I'm hugely surprised to find out it its a groin injury, crap physio I would be 😀

On 06/10/2019 at 13:02, Up The City! said:

Clearly has a holiday booked for the international break and didn't fancy picking up an injury which would spoil that.

Joking aside, I know the players need to rest up but why do they get to have yet another break (week away in the sun) when their international playing team mates are travelling and playing. Yes have a break from playing matches but they should be working and training whilst their team mates are away. Well that what I think anyway, why are they rewarded for not playing internationals?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought it was his head, possible concussion as Bentley etc were looking into his eyes, I thought to check he was ok. I'm hugely surprised to find out it its a groin injury, crap physio I would be 😀

You should go straight to the groin if ever you’re in doubt.

Hey , what’s the worst that could happen ? 

• Haha 2

Time for a cheeky bid for Flinty. 

Dropped last Saturday.

Exchange with CoD or one of our other similar midfield ‘generals’? 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Time for a cheeky bid for Flint.

Dropped last Saturday.

I’m surprised it’s taken so long for Flint to be found out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

LJ had this to say;

So he must have just realised he goes off injured all the time.

Otherwise why not look at it sooner 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Not as surprised as I am as to how long its taken LJ to be found out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

didn't someone say it looked as though he was deliberately trying to get sent off on Saturday as well ?

No, that only happens in mid-December....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sturny said:

To me that reads as if something has to be done about it. It's a problem LJ wants to fix.

Maybe Baker's squad role is going to be reduced even more. I read that as if they can't find an appropriate fix he'll be sold this summer. 

He's on a wedge too so it must be appealing to offload him 

Easy in principle, but what value when a club looks at his injury record ?  Easier said that done. 

I am curious and I am sure someone on the forum will have it at their finger tips, what was his injury record like at Villa ?  

This really saddens me as a big NB fan. Has barely put a foot wrong on the pitch this season, but time after time this injury thing raises its ugly head.

One of the biggest disappointments about last night was this. Hope he gets back real soon, and i cannot agree with the posts saying we ought to get rid.

Johnson, although clearly rightly frustrated, has acknowledged Baker's performances this season...  i really hope we can get the guy back out there and move on quickly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

LJ had this to say;

Or he's not being diagnosed properly by the physio team?  But seems to get injured way too often, centre half equivalent of Jack Wilshere....not made of teak like 'Psycho' Humphries or Shaun Taylor or more recently Flinty....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Or he's not being diagnosed properly by the physio team?  But seems to get injured way too often, centre half equivalent of Jack Wilshere....not made of teak like 'Psycho' Humphries or Shaun Taylor or more recently Flinty....

and while we're at it, Louis himself was no knock over. Man of steel our Louis and always stuck his head where it hurt, boxer's nose, the lot.

legend

Edited by AppyDAZE

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

LJ had this to say;

Depends, he could be meaning looking at training and preparation , maybe he needs to start stretching certain muscles. Thats if all the injuries are muscle related, can't do much about knocks or contact problems , specially as he is a while hearted player. Doesn't pull out of a challenge too often, makes me think it isn't a mental thing, could just be unlucky. 
I've seen the stats of with and without Baker, quite telling. I would have Baker and Kalas ( who's injury record isn't great lately) as our starting partnership, I think we have to put up with missing players and hope for more luck.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

He is what he is, but scored a couple so far tonight.

bakers probably got something on Friday night with his mrs and doesn't fancy getting up early Saturday. something not right with him,cbs are the toughest nuts in the team aren't they? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

This really saddens me as a big NB fan. Has barely put a foot wrong on the pitch this season, but time after time this injury thing raises its ugly head.

One of the biggest disappointments about last night was this. Hope he gets back real soon, and i cannot agree with the posts saying we ought to get rid.

Johnson, although clearly rightly frustrated, has acknowledged Baker's performances this season...  i really hope we can get the guy back out there and move on quickly.

Baker going off injured was a contributing factor to us losing, not the overriding factor but still a factor. We were then limited to two tactical subs, and who knows that could have made the difference. 

Serious questions have to be asked why he keeps going off injured when other players are able to play through it. 

It's like he feels a slight pain and then suddenly in his head he feels unable to carry on playing. Its bizarre because that is totally at odds with the type of player he is. Why this issue hasn't been explored previously I dont know. There is clearly some mental issues there surrounding injuries. 

I said this yesterday but I'll repeat myself, In a one off cup game, with such a huge prize at stake, on a heavy pitch LJ should not have risked starting with Baker. Should have started with Moore.

23 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

erious questions have to be asked why he keeps going off injured when other players are able to play through it. 

It's like he feels a slight pain and then suddenly in his head he feels unable to carry on playing. Its bizarre because that is totally at odds with the type of player he is. Why this issue hasn't been explored previously I dont know. There is clearly some mental issues there surrounding injuries

No idea what’s happened with me quote there but anyway....

last night was odd. Up for the ball. Their player goes down (I think) and then Baker is just on the floor. Physio comes on and he seems to decide from sitting that he’s done for and that’s it. He certainly doesn’t seem to get up and test anything out. All happened very stationary. Might be misremembering it. 

Edited by tommy_b
Fix quote

2 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

No idea what’s happened with me quote there but anyway....

last night was odd. Up for the ball. Their player goes down (I think) and then Baker is just on the floor. Physio comes on and he seems to decide from sitting that he’s done for and that’s it. He certainly doesn’t seem to get up and test anything out. All happened very stationary. Might be misremembering it. 

I said this before but no one replied so not sure if anyone remembers it.

There was an evening game when he was here on loan. A ball was played through and Baker quite literally turned his back to where the ball had gone and walked off the pitch and down the tunnel. The player went through on goal but didn't score.

One of the strangest things I've ever seen. I think he feels pain and that's it he's off.