IGNORED

What type of football do you want..?

Bob Thompson

Coaches and managers change frequently and yes it is a win or the sack culture. The policies are set by the board. We ,rather like Bournemouth ,have talented squad and good coaches. Thanks to Klopp and Pep we are seeing a more fluid type of football with young players. Sometimes form and confidence suffers. City are in transition, please don’t go back to whack it down the Channels. Stick with LJ and modern football it will come good soon.Always believe.

15 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

Coaches and managers change frequently and yes it is a win or the sack culture. The policies are set by the board. We ,rather like Bournemouth ,have talented squad and good coaches. Thanks to Klopp and Pep we are seeing a more fluid type of football with young players. Sometimes form and confidence suffers. City are in transition, please don’t go back to whack it down the Channels. Stick with LJ and modern football it will come good soon.Always believe.

The obvious questions being how long and how many transitions does one Head Coach need? We are literally Hoof Ball one week, decent football the next and decent football in our defensive third then hoof it the next......

That doesn’t look like a team in some sort of planned transition to me.

15 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I want to win. 

Long ‘hoof’ ball is ok if we win

’Pretty’ football but losing isn’t my thing. 

‘Pretty’ football AND winning is the ultimate. 

But the ‘wise ones’ on here have always rejected out of hand any manager mentioned who is very successful at this level by adopting a more streetwise, robust and direct approach, regardless of the great results they deliver - time and again they’ve said ‘it’s a no from me’ and slagged off proper, successful guys - i’m not saying it’s you at all but I was waiting for the whining to really start and the clamour for Warnock to begin - and now it has! Makes I laugh! ???

The ideal is winning with style.

However, even sides that achieve that have their off days when they just grind out the win. And with a nine month season, it is impossible to perform perfectly all the time, so just some of the time will do.

So let's start with winning at home and sending us home in a happy mood. The flowing football on the billiard table that is the Ashton Gate pitch can develop as we progress.

Quite a few saying winning football. Yes we all want that, but in reality only the likes of Liverpool , Man City etc have winning football.

i want us to have something sustainable. I want opposition fans to say oh Bristol City , they play some lovely stuff as people do about Brentford , Swansea , Brighton , Bournemouth . A academy that plays the same as well and for it to become a proper identity ( not LJ’s version whatever that is ) 

Yes we want to get promoted but , let’s be honest , you don’t do that with a disjointed squad and team set up. 
If someone said. We’ll set up a philosophy as mentioned above but it’ll take a couple of seasons to implement and realistically you won’t be looking at promotion for at least 5 years , I’d happily take that . I want our football to be something to be proud of. 

I don't care about us looking pretty but I do care about pressure, intensity and creating chances.

I think the two things that stick out on the tactical analysis above are that we play long balls AND play the ball around in our own half. Even if you belief long ball tactics are an effective tactic, the whole 'philosophy' behind the long ball game is to get the ball forward as quickly as possible to catch out the opposing team. The reality is we get the ball, pass it around a bit until the opposition have a chance to organise themselves and then hoof it down the pitch once there is little possibility of a scoring chance. Little wonder we never create anything. I don't expect us to suddenly play tika taka - and I'm not sure I even want us to - but a strategy that was a bit less self-defeating would be nice. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't care about us looking pretty but I do care about pressure, intensity and creating chances.

I think the two things that stick out on the tactical analysis above are that we play long balls AND play the ball around in our own half. Even if you belief long ball tactics are an effective tactic, the whole 'philosophy' behind the long ball game is to get the ball forward as quickly as possible to catch out the opposing team. The reality is we get the ball, pass it around a bit until the opposition have a chance to organise themselves and then hoof it down the pitch once there is little possibility of a scoring chance. Little wonder we never create anything. I don't expect us to suddenly play tika taka - and I'm not sure I even want us to - but a strategy that was a bit less self-defeating would be nice. 

Spot on.

At times, in fact a lot of the time of late we are starting to resemble O’Driscoll’s City before he was sacked.  Flint to Moloney, back to Flint, then across to Cunningham, then back.  Whilst that is happening, Baldock had made 15 runs and the opposition now had all 11 behind the ball.  At that point Flint would launch it.

Archived