IGNORED

Did the players let us down last night?

reddogkev

If you are a manager (or "Head Coach") you take responsibility for the performance of your team.

That's as true of football, as it is in any other enterprise.

You've put them in the positions they are in, given them instructions and the encouragement and tools they need to do the job.

The buck stops with you.

That's what leadership is all about. And management is leadership - or it should be!

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

The point he is trying to make is that Johnson doesn’t want to play him, hence why he was always on the bench

it was only until the fans became more vocal about it that Johnson finally gave him a regular start

I think the team should be built around the things that Elliasson brings as he’s without doubt our most “effective” player. For a Manager who trusts stats so much it’s weird that he doesn’t trust those of our most creative player!!

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Which had 6 city players around him not challenging not tackling 

if you want to place the blame then the players who are responsible are Palmer and brownhill for not doing there ******* job, then Moore and Williams for not doing there

the keeper is blameless 

Yep 100% correct he is inept and needs to go

This is going nowhere, nobodies opinion will change!!

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We can argue all day about this but what I won’t have is that a pro Keeper “wasn’t expecting” the shot!!! They aren’t paid £15k a week to get caught out by not expecting things like that to happen?. The ball didnt “break” to the lad, he played an intentional 1-2 with his centre forward, more reason for the keeper to “expect” the shot.

You name me one centre half in world football, let alone league 1, that if looking to play a one-two with a striker, when on the centre circle at the time, you are then expecting the ball that has broken back to him (it wasn’t an intentional pass back to him, it broke under challenge / mis-control) at 30 yards out, you are expecting to smash one into the bottom corner through a crowd of at least 6 players.

The guy took a gamble & it paid off, for me it was a great strike & I’d love to see one of our midfielders try such a thing, let alone one of our centre-halves. I think credit needs to go to Pierre more so than criticism to Bentley but I guess that’s the joys of football, some people appreciate a decent piece of play while others can find someone to blame. In theory, every goal conceded can be blamed on someone, that’s why you’ll often hear a manager complain that conceded ‘bad goals’ from a defensive point of view while the other manager will praise the attacking play that produced their goal(s).

So while Bentley on £15k p/w should be saving that (in your eyes), De Gea on £350k p/w should surely never be conceding a goal EVER, especially while his defenders & midfielders in front of him are earning just as ridiculously high wages to do their job?!? And the likes of Neymar should never allow a keeper to save a shot or put one wide or over? It is sport, there are lots a variables & no one is perfect & if they were, they wouldn’t be playing for Bristol City in the 2nd tier of English football.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Last night they were dreadful at the basics. All of them. 

It was after losing dismally to Blackburn, that LJ said we must be "world class" at the basics, in the Championship. Four weeks later, we are "dreadful at the basics" against a modest L1 team. 

Are the coaches able to identify problems and rectify them, or just identify them?

12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If you do want to look at a player it would be interesting to get Dan Bentleys perspective of the goal. Weak as piss goalkeeping I thought.

I have to admit when I first saw it I thought he should be saving that.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

We don’t have the players to successfully adopt a high press game. 
That game was based largely around Reid being the catalyst. He had the intelligence to know when and where to press, what angles to take, understanding where the rest of the team were in terms of shape, overloads etc. 
Bobby would instigate. He had lively players around him who would react to the press and understand when and where to push - Smith, Bryan, Brownhill. They generally had bundles of energy and would press all day. 
But ultimately, we had Pack sitting in front of the back line, as a security blanket if the press failed and the opposition managed to play round us. The security of a sitting DM and 2 solid CB’s who wouldn’t get drawn out of shape, stayed tight and didn’t allow spaces down the middle. Coupled with another full back (usually Wright, or Magnússon the other side) who would also stay deeper and not chase high up the pitch. 

We don’t have the players now to replicate this. 
We don’t have a Reid, who knows when to spark it off. 
We don’t have full backs or a DM who are prepared to sit in and keep a shape. 

If we try to play a high press with this squad, we will very quickly get passed through and see our CB’s under immediate pressure with very little cover in front or to the side. 

It’s not a poor tactic by LJ to not play the press. It’s a lifesaver. He obviously knows the limitations of the players he has. 

That's a sweeping post. You omitted that Lee Johnson has not wanted to do this for seasons. 

High pressing is a just a term. There are numerous versions. Bristol City do have the players to play higher out of possession. Patterson has and Weimann certainly can. 

That game was based largely around Reid being the catalyst. He had the intelligence to know … Reid at that point had only played a small part of his career in that position. He had obviously learned the skills to play in the position. And that is what pressing is a skill of differing parts including a very high fitness level. Lee Johnson clearly did help to develop Bobby Reid's game successfully here could he not have done similar with the large group of players he has?

It is very uneven to state that City pressing was dependant on one player without considering why.  A why is that earlier Lee Johnson has not wanted to do this for seasons. If he desired to in this timescale as part of the identity he refers to he would have recruited and developed the players to press higher in one of its multiple variants. Mr Johnson with this timescale has chosen to play and bring in individuals who lack the discipline, fitness and intensity (the skills) to aggressively press the opposition. 

The above really is a choice unless people believe season after season Lee Johnson is being given players without the basic key skills for the football he wants to pursue.

Pressing (high) Is not witchcraft that depends solely on players called Reid.

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That's a sweeping post. You omitted that Lee Johnson has not wanted to do this for seasons. 

High pressing is a just a term. There are numerous versions. Bristol City do have the players to play higher out of possession. Patterson has and Weimann certainly can. 

That game was based largely around Reid being the catalyst. He had the intelligence to know … Reid at that point had only played a small part of his career in that position. He had obviously learned the skills to play in the position. And that is what pressing is a skill of differing parts including a very high fitness level. Lee Johnson clearly did help to develop Bobby Reid's game successfully here could he not have done similar with the large group of players he has?

It is very uneven to state that City pressing was dependant on one player without considering why.  A why is that earlier Lee Johnson has not wanted to do this for seasons. If he desired to in this timescale as part of the identity he refers to he would have recruited and developed the players to press higher in one of its multiple variants. Mr Johnson with this timescale has chosen to play and bring in individuals who lack the discipline, fitness and intensity (the skills) to aggressively press the opposition. 

The above really is a choice unless people believe season after season Lee Johnson is being given players without the basic key skills for the football he wants to pursue.

Pressing (high) Is not witchcraft that depends solely on players called Reid.

Off of that, the key to beating us is to press high, we can’t cope with it,

thata why we are so predictable

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

You name me one centre half in world football, let alone league 1, that if looking to play a one-two with a striker, when on the centre circle at the time, you are then expecting the ball that has broken back to him (it wasn’t an intentional pass back to him, it broke under challenge / mis-control) at 30 yards out, you are expecting to smash one into the bottom corner through a crowd of at least 6 players.

The guy took a gamble & it paid off, for me it was a great strike & I’d love to see one of our midfielders try such a thing, let alone one of our centre-halves. I think credit needs to go to Pierre more so than criticism to Bentley but I guess that’s the joys of football, some people appreciate a decent piece of play while others can find someone to blame. In theory, every goal conceded can be blamed on someone, that’s why you’ll often hear a manager complain that conceded ‘bad goals’ from a defensive point of view while the other manager will praise the attacking play that produced their goal(s).

So while Bentley on £15k p/w should be saving that (in your eyes), De Gea on £350k p/w should surely never be conceding a goal EVER, especially while his defenders & midfielders in front of him are earning just as ridiculously high wages to do their job?!? And the likes of Neymar should never allow a keeper to save a shot or put one wide or over? It is sport, there are lots a variables & no one is perfect & if they were, they wouldn’t be playing for Bristol City in the 2nd tier of English football.

I literally get all that. I just have an opinion that Bentley is more than good enough to save that shot. That’s my opinion. I didn’t say he’s crap, I haven’t denied that if there was a POTS vote right now he’d be walking away with the gong if it was down to me to decide (an easy choice atm btw).

I just think he could have done better on a single goal nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you are a manager (or "Head Coach") you take responsibility for the performance of your team.

That's as true of football, as it is in any other enterprise.

You've put them in the positions they are in, given them instructions and the encouragement and tools they need to do the job.

The buck stops with you.

That's what leadership is all about. And management is leadership - or it should be!

You've certainly hit the nail firmly on the head mate. No leadership qualities off or on the pitch imo.........

4 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

You've certainly hit the nail firmly on the head mate. No leadership qualities off or on the pitch imo.........

This is where Ashton’s DNA BS falls over. Where and who are the real “leaders” in our side? Bentley and Williams at a stretch perhaps. Hunt is a warrior in himself, Kalas similar but not a leader of others. In front of that there is NOBODY. Why don’t we sign on pitch leaders? Did the DNA tests get cancelled?

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

This is where Ashton’s DNA BS falls over. Where and who are the real “leaders” in our side? Bentley and Williams at a stretch perhaps. Hunt is a warrior in himself but not a leader of others. In front of that there is NOBODY. Why don’t we sign on pitch leaders? Did the DNA tests get cancelled?

I don't think Josh is the right choice for captain either,just not a leader in my eyes.

15 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Or too many tactics?

For all his efforts to squeeze the 1%’s of improvement, I think LJ hugely overthinks what is a simple game. 

I wouldn’t say we look like a “well-drilled” side, something I’d expect of a team who kept things relatively simple, particularly in dangerous areas.

This is at odds to how we played 2 seasons ago, when with Bobby leading the line it looked like we knew exactly when to press and when to sit back and did so as a team. 

I know personnel have changed but that for me was the perfect system and the reason for our results (Manchester sides in mind). It worked, and needed marginal improvement.

What we have seen is wholesale changes to tactics and personnel  and as a result nobody has any idea what it is we’re trying to do. If LJ does have a plan, he’s not convincing me that he can integrate it, and with the evident lethargy of a very talented squad, it doesn’t seem he can convince them either. 

I really couldn't agree more with this post!

I just don't understand how we have gone from a successful, very pleasing on the eye, effective, well drilled outfit, to one that is turgid, lacking focus or identity and lackluster.

As you state, we just needed a few tweaks, a few in's and outs to steadily progress. Instead we've had wholesale change in not only personal, but style of play......and not for the better!

Absolutely baffles me!

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I don't think Josh is the right choice for captain either,just not a leader in my eyes.

he isn't a captain or a leader in my eye, some players aren't, I'd give it to williams on experience but out side of that we do lack leaders 

On 16/01/2020 at 08:01, Numero Uno said:

If we didn’t play Eliasson where would our goals come from? Go back over the season so far.

⬇️

On 16/01/2020 at 08:04, Monkeh said:

The point he is trying to make is that Johnson doesn’t want to play him, hence why he was always on the bench

it was only until the fans became more vocal about it that Johnson finally gave him a regular start

Good earlier post by @Tipps69 and @The Dolman Pragmatist.

Re Eliasson - if you look back over the season, he only started playing back to back games v Huddersfield.  Regular Sub appearances but only 3 starts before that.  Were goals a problem up to that point?  No, not really.

We’ve had more scoreless games (4 of which Eliasson started 3) in the Eliasson-starting period than we’ve had all season (3 in more games) without him.  Two of those three were 0-0s v Swansea and Forest, at home, but ultimately not bad results looking at where they are in the league.

So if goals haven’t really been a problem all season, as fans, I’d say we (royal we) want entertainment over results / goals.  Eliasson brings that.

But does he lose us something in terms of shape, positioning, etc?

Earlier on this season I was really torn on Nic in terms if should he start or not.  I convinced myself that his assists and trickery outweighed the negative stuff.  I’m starting to move back towards being torn or not.  Because I feel whilst individually it’s great for him, I think it’s possibly having an impact elsewhere on the team.

I really don’t want to make this sound like I’m blaming him, but in accommodating him, we now need to play with width.

Earlier this season with our back 5 (WBs), we had 8 outfield players, playing in the centre of the pitch (3 CBs, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 2 CFs), with the width coming from the WBs.

Now we only have 6 (2 CBs, 2 CMs, 2 CFs), and our defence looks all over the shop / exposed....and we are playing even less entertaining football in the main, and results are more mixed.

I don’t really want to go back to a back 5 (even though I’m a fan of it), plus we don’t have Kalas or Baker fit either.  Having said that (and I know @JonDolman might agree), could we use Rowe at LCB in a 3?

All a bit of a mess really.

Time to be patient and see what team gets picked tomorrow and the result and performance that ensues.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Re Eliasson - if you look back over the season, he only started playing back to back games v Huddersfield.  Regular Sub appearances but only 3 starts before that.  Were goals a problem up to that point?  No, not really.

We’ve had more scoreless games (4 of which Eliasson started 3) in the Eliasson-starting period than we’ve had all season (3 in more games) without him.  Two of those three were 0-0s v Swansea and Forest, at home, but ultimately not bad results looking at where they are in the league.

So if goals haven’t really been a problem all season, as fans, I’d say we (royal we) want entertainment over results / goals.  Eliasson brings that.

Earlier on this season I was really torn on Nic in terms if should he start or not.  I convinced myself that his assists and trickery outweighed the negative stuff.  I’m starting to move back towards being torn or not.  Because I feel whilst individually it’s great for him, I think it’s possibly having an impact elsewhere on the team.

I really don’t want to make this sound like I’m blaming him, but in accommodating him, we now need to play with width.

Earlier this season with our back 5 (WBs), we had 8 outfield players, playing in the centre of the pitch (3 CBs, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 2 CFs), with the width coming from the WBs.

Now we only have 6 (2 CBs, 2 CMs, 2 CFs), and our defence looks all over the shop / exposed....and we are playing even less entertaining football in the main, and results are more mixed.

I don’t really want to go back to a back 5 (even though I’m a fan of it), plus we don’t have Kalas or Baker fit either.  Having said that (and I know @JonDolman might agree), could we use Rowe at LCB in a 3?

Time to be patient and see what team gets picked tomorrow and the result and performance that ensues.

When people start making arguments for leaving out one of if not the most creative player in the Championship then I know the game is going to the dogs quite honestly.

I can only speak for myself but I didn’t get into football because I adored statistics. When I started playing a watching results weren’t the be all and end all and sod the quality of the football.

We will no doubt see Barnsley dominate possession tomorrow but hey, if we win 1-0 on the break then what an amazing game it was. Another LJ masterclass IF YOU ******* LIKE?.

The stats obsessed game that football all is becoming is not for me tbh. Box Entries? I’ll be telling the club to stick them up their arse in the next couple of years or so if the current fare is what football is deemed to be about.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

But when he came off the bench he normally got the assists to win the game, and that’s the point 

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

When people start making arguments for leaving out one of if not the most creative player in the Championship then I know the game is going to the dogs quite honestly.

I can only speak for myself but I didn’t get into football because I adored statistics. When I started playing a watching results weren’t the be all and end all and sod the quality of the football.

We will no doubt see Barnsley dominate possession tomorrow but hey, if we win 1-0 on the break then what an amazing game it was. Another LJ masterclass IF YOU ******* LIKE?.

The stats obsessed game that football all is becoming is not for me tbh. Box Entries? I’ll be telling the club to stick them up their arse in the next couple of years or so if the current fare is what football is deemed to be about.

I’m not sure I get your point...apologies.

are you saying you want to see entertainment and don’t care about results?  Or vice-versa.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

But when he came off the bench he normally got the assists to win the game, and that’s the point 

On some occasions yes.  As I said I find him a dilemma.  Just my view.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The stats obsessed game that foot all is becoming is not for me tbh. Box Entries? I’ll be telling the club to stick them up their arse in the next couple of years or so if the current fare is what football is deemed to be about.

With respect it's not purely about statistics. Can't you see with you own eyes the drawbacks of using Eliasson? To be straight, I like Eliasson and what he brings, but I struggle, as Dave Fevs does to be sure if the pros CONSISTANTLY outweigh the cons with our current playing staff/system. And to be fair the stats just back that up.

I've thought for months now, if we play Eliasson it has to be a 4231 system, with lots of movement and inter -changing upfront to negate him just being marked out of the game. This system IMHO would also reduced the negative impact of his poor defensive reading of the game when we lose possession. The effort is there defensively with him, he just doesnt appear "savvy" enough at present to me when possession is turned over.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Good / Interesting / thought provoking thoughts on Eliasson , Dave

Eliasson is symptomatic of one of Johnson’s major flaws IMHO

Recruiting / Planning / Planned playing ethos / Squad Building

I’ll take you back to when we signed Eliasson  

At the fans forum a few days later LJ did a 20 minute presentation on recruitment and on the signing of Eliasson ( @Harry)

Sat in bed with laptop , wyscout etc

I can go into detail about how the one player or type of player he wanted was Anthony Knockart who was flavour of the month at Brighton and he went into great detail how Eliasson showed all of Knockharts traits

Now you , I And most on this forum will have an accurate assessment of Anthony Knockarts attributes , but also the downsides (In simple terms defensive attributes / discipline and team cohesion)

So where did Eliasson ever fit into his plan and playing ethos - did he expect to sign a Knockart clone / game changer yet have someone who also fittted naturally into his planned formation and style with good in his defensive responsibilities  ?

Shiny toy syndrome 

FWIW I think Eliasson has some of the quickest feet I’ve ever seen and I’d be working on his goal output rather than turn him  into a solid wide player - In the current squad he is the one who stands out as Premier League Potential IMHO 

A good coach IMHO should be able to form a side incorporating his abilities as our X factor 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good / Interesting / thought provoking thoughts on Eliasson , Dave

ta ??

Eliasson is symptomatic of one of Johnson’s major flaws IMHO

Recruiting / Planning / Planned playing ethos / Squad Building

But he’s a “builder”, a “gardener” ?

True, throughout this pre-season, although I think we signed some very good players (I still think they are too), I could not see how the team was gonna shape up, and whilst not attending pre-season friendlies it was difficult to firm that up.  Pretty sure it was @Silvio Dante who posted that it looked like we were going 4231.  But then we conceded 3 v FGR and got stuffed by Palace.  Perhaps that created doubts?

I’ll take you back to when we signed Eliasson  

At the fans forum a few days later LJ did a 20 minute presentation on recruitment and on the signing of Eliasson ( @Harry)

Sat in bed with laptop , wyscout etc

remember it well...mentioned Knockaert analysis only the other day.

I can go into detail about how the one player or type of player he wanted was Anthony Knockart who was flavour of the month at Brighton 

Now you , I And most on this forum will have an accurate assessment of Anthony Knockarts attributes , but also the downsides (In simple terms defensive attributes / discipline and team cohesion)

yep, all correct.

So where did Eliasson ever fit into his plan and playing ethos - did he expect to sign a Knockart clone / game changer yet have someone who also fittted naturally into his planned formation and style with good in his defensive responsibilities  ?

Shiny toy syndrome 

Quite probably.  I’m not convinced Eliasson has improved his defensive capabilities.  In the same way some moan about Palmer’s workrate being a bit of closing down and a few sliding tackles, they’ll use similar to say Eliasson has really improved defensively.  Even Gregor (not here to defend himself) and I had a bit of a debate via Twitter DM re tackling stats, and me saying they weren’t worth reading too much into.

FWIW I think Eliasson has some of the quickest feet I’ve ever seen and I’d be working on his goal output rather than turn him  into a solid wide player - In the current squad he is the one who stands out as Premier League Potential IMHO

I know what you mean, I’d need some evidence of him playing differently.  Having said that, when he plays left, he doesn’t hug the left touchline he floats around much better.  When on the right he stays tight to the touchline.

A good coach IMHO should be able to form a side incorporating his abilities as our X factor

We have absolutely zero distraction from the task in hand now...we can all fairly judge the next 19 games from both coaching perspective and players.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

?

I think he is an easy blame for our defensive frailties Personally Dave , he’s certainly willing , if not the sharpest off ball 

I think  others who play in front of of the back four / five get an easy ride on here , our Premier League bound skipper for one

The back four a mess in itself with a £1.9 million pound right back and another whose valued at more than that struggling to competently fill the spot , and ever changing Centre halves combinations(For a variety of reasons) who have been , very mixed in performance

And Possibly the biggest factor , constant changes of systems , no continuity

Thank Christ Lee had some of that Webster money for a goalkeeper , eh Lee ......

Otherwise I think we’d be looking over our shoulders about now  

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

?

I think he is an easy blame for defensive frailties Personally Dave , he’s certainly willing , if not the sharpest off ball

I don’t blame him for it all, but think he is one of the factors....especially when he plays right.

I think  others who play in front of of the back four / five get an easy ride on here , our Premier League bound skipper for one

the movement has been poor, but what has made it worse is the lack of angles too.

The back four a mess in itself with a £1.9 million pound right back and another whose valued at more than that struggling to competently fill the spot , and ever changing Centre halves combinations(For a variety of reasons) who have been , very mixed in performance

Hunt earlier this season looked like the Hunt I’d seen at Wednesday, and why I thought he’d be a good signing.  Since coming back from injury his form has been so in and out.  Was great the other week v Luton (who were poor admittedly), but then awful in others.  Is he another brought back too quickly.  Pereira has been good defensively but he lacks confidence on the ball.

Thank Christ Lee had some of that Webster money for a goalkeeper , eh Lee ......

MA signed him ? ???

Otherwise I think we’d be looking over our shoulders about now  

On 16/01/2020 at 06:46, Tipps69 said:

It wasn’t a ‘daisy cutter’ as you call it, the ball didn’t touch the grass until it hit the back of the net, so wasn’t slowed down by the heavy conditions. I wouldn’t blame Bentley for their goal, no one was probably expecting their centre half to come forward & hit a ball that has broken to him about 30 yards out first time, it’s probably about as likely as Baker or Williams doing similar for us & if they did, it would probably be more of a worry for the stewards in the car park than it would for the oppositions keeper!

It was a more than decent strike by someone that no one probably expected it from that came through a crowd of players. With a minute to go, he took a gamble & it paid off handsomely for him, fair play to the guy.

Trouble was he did the same thing first half and it nearly worked.

Someone on the pitch or in the dugout must think he can shoot, don’t  let him try it again and what do we do let him have another go.

3 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

With respect it's not purely about statistics. Can't you see with you own eyes the drawbacks of using Eliasson? To be straight, I like Eliasson and what he brings, but I struggle, as Dave Fevs does to be sure if the pros CONSISTANTLY outweigh the cons with our current playing staff/system. And to be fair the stats just back that up.

I've thought for months now, if we play Eliasson it has to be a 4231 system, with lots of movement and inter -changing upfront to negate him just being marked out of the game. This system IMHO would also reduced the negative impact of his poor defensive reading of the game when we lose possession. The effort is there defensively with him, he just doesnt appear "savvy" enough at present to me when possession is turned over.

That was how we were playing Tuesday. Eliasson, Pato, weimann interchanging and playing various roles. Worked find till 65 mins.

On came Palmer for Pato and we lost all momentum and was basically playing 451 with Palmer happy on Right wing between Hunt and Weimann. 
Who told him to play there if LJ he lost us match with change of formation.

If Palmer why is he playing where he feels like.

39 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

That was how we were playing Tuesday. Eliasson, Pato, weimann interchanging and playing various roles. Worked find till 65 mins.

On came Palmer for Pato and we lost all momentum and was basically playing 451 with Palmer happy on Right wing between Hunt and Weimann. 
Who told him to play there if LJ he lost us match with change of formation.

If Palmer why is he playing where he feels like.

As the game wasn’t on telly I had no idea what shape we played when KP came on.  You saying he played RW?  Where was Weimann playing?

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As the game wasn’t on telly I had no idea what shape we played when KP came on.  You saying he played RW?  Where was Weimann playing?

Palmer played central, Weimann right in a 4-2-3-1. At least I think that was the plan. We lost cohesion after the substitution.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Guess he was suppose to play a free role but spent most of time on right wing between weimann and Hunt.

This meant Nagy had to push up for no cover centrally and Shrewsbury worked that out quickly and took off wider players and filled the middle and from then on we had no control of the game.

Archived