IGNORED

Did the players let us down last night?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Guess he was suppose to play a free role but spent most of time on right wing between weimann and Hunt.

This meant Nagy had to push up for no cover centrally and Shrewsbury worked that out quickly and took off wider players and filled the middle and from then on we had no control of the game.

I’m still confused.  Where was Pato playing before Palmer replaced him?  We were 442, yes?

Pato left, Eliasson right?  Brownhill, Nagy CMs? Yes?

Did Eliasson go left?

7 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

With respect it's not purely about statistics. Can't you see with you own eyes the drawbacks of using Eliasson? To be straight, I like Eliasson and what he brings, but I struggle, as Dave Fevs does to be sure if the pros CONSISTANTLY outweigh the cons with our current playing staff/system. And to be fair the stats just back that up.

I've thought for months now, if we play Eliasson it has to be a 4231 system, with lots of movement and inter -changing upfront to negate him just being marked out of the game. This system IMHO would also reduced the negative impact of his poor defensive reading of the game when we lose possession. The effort is there defensively with him, he just doesnt appear "savvy" enough at present to me when possession is turned over.

Eliasson is our best “footballer” on the ball. Our main “go to” style of play should be based around accommodating him accepting that he can still work bloody hard on weaknesses defensively that allow us to slot him into other systems the Manager might want to set us up with (which will also increase his value massively).

The day we rid our squad of all talent and revert to picking 11 players of very average ability because they can be “trusted” in the system is the day I don’t renew my season ticket tbh. The football is bad enough as it is regardless of being 1 point off the play offs.

For me entertainment and watching players do things nobody in the stands could do is important. Might not be for everyone else but it is for me. I would rather watch non league football than a “War of Attrition” every week tbh.

Because of Managers like Johnson (not just him) we have fans regurgitating exactly what they hear from these people and talk in the pub about systems, formations you never knew existed, transitions, quoting statistics that are often irrelevant and the like. All sounds impressive then you find out they have not kicked a football since Junior School?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m still confused.  Where was Pato playing before Palmer replaced him?  We were 442, yes?

Pato left, Eliasson right?  Brownhill, Nagy CMs? Yes?

Did Eliasson go left?

Was a 4231 to start 

Hunt baker Williams Rowe

Nagy 

Brownhill Kept dropping deep

weimann Pato eliasson These kept swapping around Pato cover Brownhill when deep

fammy on his own

palmer came on 

hunt  Williams Moore Rowe

Nagy Brownhill

Palmer 

weimann                               Eliasson

Fammy 

Thats how it looked like from the away end

Palmer kept going to the right and Weimann Eliasson didn’t swap over. 

Massive hole which Nagy tried to fill but when pushed up left gap between midfield and defence which Shrewsbury exploited with there subs.

Hopefully makes sense now, after match started topic about Palmer and where was he playing for made no sense. Was just getting in the way of Hunt.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Eliasson is our best “footballer” on the ball. Our main “go to” style of play should be based around accommodating him accepting that he can still work bloody hard on weaknesses defensively that allow us to slot him into other systems the Manager might want to set us up with (which will also increase his value massively).

The day we rid our squad of all talent and revert to picking 11 players of very average ability because they can be “trusted” in the system is the day I don’t renew my season ticket tbh. The football is bad enough as it is regardless of being 1 point off the play offs.

For me entertainment and watching players do things nobody in the stands could do is important. Might not be for everyone else but it is for me. I would rather watch non league football than a “War of Attrition” every week tbh.

Because of Managers like Johnson (not just him) we have fans regurgitating exactly what they hear from these people and talk in the pub about systems, formations you never knew existed, transitions, quoting statistics that are often irrelevant and the like. All sounds impressive then you find out they have not kicked a football since Junior School?

I'm not against Eliasson playing; far from it. But it has to work. Our head coach and his team need to earn their corn and get it right.

I too am not interested in turgid, "safe" football to get results, but what I'm saying is, is for whatever reason when Eliasson plays, after a couple of games he's effectively marked out if the game, and with it all of our "flair" play disappears. As has been said there's no reason we can't accommodate him, not sure why we can't tbh, but there it is, it's a fact we don't seem to play well for more than a game or two with him in the side.

Hope we find a way, wide men an attacking football has always been the "Bristol City way".

27 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I'm not against Eliasson playing; far from it. But it has to work. Our head coach and his team need to earn their corn and get it right.

I too am not interested in turgid, "safe" football to get results, but what I'm saying is, is for whatever reason when Eliasson plays, after a couple of games he's effectively marked out if the game, and with it all of our "flair" play disappears. As has been said there's no reason we can't accommodate him, not sure why we can't tbh, but there it is, it's a fact we don't seem to play well for more than a game or two with him in the side.

Hope we find a way, wide men an attacking football has always been the "Bristol City way".

Your first comment sums it up for me?

18 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I think for a Country that was known for its lack of tactical understanding fans displaying knowledge of the game is a cool thing. 

In regards to Eliason and systems .. Were you excited when Bristol City beat Manchester Utd? Drama? Dull war of attrition? That system did not have a player in it in Eliason's mould. He would not have been accommodated in it. 

I understand your point. I feel posters are picking up on Bristol City not having a system. Bristol City are not moving towards football that would accommodate the player or otherwise. 

There are consistent points made about Elaison that are fair. Opinion is frequently a question of what values you have and want to see. There are fans who yearn to see that excitement of that night, that teams football or similar back. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I think for a Country that was known for its lack of tactical understanding fans displaying knowledge of the game is a cool thing. 

In regards to Eliason and systems .. Were you excited when Bristol City beat Manchester Utd? Drama? Dull war of attrition? That system did not have a player in it in Eliason's mould. He would not have been accommodated in it. 

I understand your point. I feel posters are picking up on Bristol City not having a system. Bristol City are not moving towards football that would accommodate the player or otherwise. 

There are consistent points made about Elaison that are fair. Opinion is frequently a question of what values you have and want to see. There are fans who yearn to see that excitement of that night, that teams football or similar back. 

LJ has tied himself in knots!! We are a reactive team who seem to have no identifiable way of playing except we prefer to counter attack.

The way of playing is more important than the formation. You can play a 442 or a 352 in completely different ways, the point being it’s a lot easier to adapt if the common way you play is known by the players.

If you try to be front foot one week, back foot the next and wait and see what the other lot do the next you are not helping players at all.

Yes it’s cool to have tactical knowledge but LJ seems to use his to confuse himself and everyone around him. From listening to people who were there Tuesday was a prime example.

Anyway let’s hope for three points AND a performance later?

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Out of interest, if you were to become City’s Head-Coach, how would you do it, and by that I mean:

- do you have a philosophy or system

would you try to fit players into it from day one, or gradually transition to it through coaching and recruitment?  Or would you look at what you’ve got, find what you think is the best for that group of players and then make that better and better?

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

LJ has tied himself in knots!! We are a reactive team who seem to have no identifiable way of playing except we prefer to counter attack.

The way of playing is more important than the formation. You can play a 442 or a 352 in completely different ways, the point being it’s a lot easier to adapt if the common way you play is known by the players.

If you try to be front foot one week, back foot the next and wait and see what the other lot do the next you are not helping players at all.

I have used your post in that manner because I agree with all of the points.

Anyway let’s hope for three points AND a performance later 

Well it was a win. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, if you were to become City’s Head-Coach, how would you do it, and by that I mean:

- do you have a philosophy or system

would you try to fit players into it from day one, or gradually transition to it through coaching and recruitment?  Or would you look at what you’ve got, find what you think is the best for that group of players and then make that better and better?

It is an out there scenario but a question is what is the expectation from the club itself? What is the clubs it (big plan)? Much noise was once made about BCFC’s player pathway and nurturing local talent. Local lads playing in Bristol City’s XI are now a rarity.

So the starting point is what is IT and what are the expectations. If its win, win now, play as you want and we can spend this, play eleven Eskimos on the pitch if it gets them the wins they consider to be progress. 

Archived