Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

reddogkev

Did the players let us down last night?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

This is where Ashton’s DNA BS falls over. Where and who are the real “leaders” in our side? Bentley and Williams at a stretch perhaps. Hunt is a warrior in himself but not a leader of others. In front of that there is NOBODY. Why don’t we sign on pitch leaders? Did the DNA tests get cancelled?

I don't think Josh is the right choice for captain either,just not a leader in my eyes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Or too many tactics?

For all his efforts to squeeze the 1%’s of improvement, I think LJ hugely overthinks what is a simple game. 

I wouldn’t say we look like a “well-drilled” side, something I’d expect of a team who kept things relatively simple, particularly in dangerous areas.

This is at odds to how we played 2 seasons ago, when with Bobby leading the line it looked like we knew exactly when to press and when to sit back and did so as a team. 

I know personnel have changed but that for me was the perfect system and the reason for our results (Manchester sides in mind). It worked, and needed marginal improvement.

What we have seen is wholesale changes to tactics and personnel  and as a result nobody has any idea what it is we’re trying to do. If LJ does have a plan, he’s not convincing me that he can integrate it, and with the evident lethargy of a very talented squad, it doesn’t seem he can convince them either. 

I really couldn't agree more with this post!

I just don't understand how we have gone from a successful, very pleasing on the eye, effective, well drilled outfit, to one that is turgid, lacking focus or identity and lackluster.

As you state, we just needed a few tweaks, a few in's and outs to steadily progress. Instead we've had wholesale change in not only personal, but style of play......and not for the better!

Absolutely baffles me!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I don't think Josh is the right choice for captain either,just not a leader in my eyes.

he isn't a captain or a leader in my eye, some players aren't, I'd give it to williams on experience but out side of that we do lack leaders 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 08:01, Numero Uno said:

If we didn’t play Eliasson where would our goals come from? Go back over the season so far.

⬇️

On 16/01/2020 at 08:04, Monkeh said:

The point he is trying to make is that Johnson doesn’t want to play him, hence why he was always on the bench

it was only until the fans became more vocal about it that Johnson finally gave him a regular start

Good earlier post by @Tipps69 and @The Dolman Pragmatist.

Re Eliasson - if you look back over the season, he only started playing back to back games v Huddersfield.  Regular Sub appearances but only 3 starts before that.  Were goals a problem up to that point?  No, not really.

We’ve had more scoreless games (4 of which Eliasson started 3) in the Eliasson-starting period than we’ve had all season (3 in more games) without him.  Two of those three were 0-0s v Swansea and Forest, at home, but ultimately not bad results looking at where they are in the league.

So if goals haven’t really been a problem all season, as fans, I’d say we (royal we) want entertainment over results / goals.  Eliasson brings that.

But does he lose us something in terms of shape, positioning, etc?

Earlier on this season I was really torn on Nic in terms if should he start or not.  I convinced myself that his assists and trickery outweighed the negative stuff.  I’m starting to move back towards being torn or not.  Because I feel whilst individually it’s great for him, I think it’s possibly having an impact elsewhere on the team.

I really don’t want to make this sound like I’m blaming him, but in accommodating him, we now need to play with width.

Earlier this season with our back 5 (WBs), we had 8 outfield players, playing in the centre of the pitch (3 CBs, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 2 CFs), with the width coming from the WBs.

Now we only have 6 (2 CBs, 2 CMs, 2 CFs), and our defence looks all over the shop / exposed....and we are playing even less entertaining football in the main, and results are more mixed.

I don’t really want to go back to a back 5 (even though I’m a fan of it), plus we don’t have Kalas or Baker fit either.  Having said that (and I know @JonDolman might agree), could we use Rowe at LCB in a 3?

All a bit of a mess really.

Time to be patient and see what team gets picked tomorrow and the result and performance that ensues.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Good earlier post by @Tipps69 and @The Dolman Pragmatist.

Re Eliasson - if you look back over the season, he only started playing back to back games v Huddersfield.  Regular Sub appearances but only 3 starts before that.  Were goals a problem up to that point?  No, not really.

We’ve had more scoreless games (4 of which Eliasson started 3) in the Eliasson-starting period than we’ve had all season (3 in more games) without him.  Two of those three were 0-0s v Swansea and Forest, at home, but ultimately not bad results looking at where they are in the league.

So if goals haven’t really been a problem all season, as fans, I’d say we (royal we) want entertainment over results / goals.  Eliasson brings that.

But does he lose us something in terms of shape, positioning, etc?

Earlier on this season I was really torn on Nic in terms if should he start or not.  I convinced myself that his assists and trickery outweighed the negative stuff.  I’m starting to move back towards being torn or not.  Because I feel whilst individually it’s great for him, I think it’s possibly having an impact elsewhere on the team.

I really don’t want to make this sound like I’m blaming him, but in accommodating him, we now need to play with width.

Earlier this season with our back 5 (WBs), we had 8 outfield players, playing in the centre of the pitch (3 CBs, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 2 CFs), with the width coming from the WBs.

Now we only have 6 (2 CBs, 2 CMs, 2 CFs), and our defence looks all over the shop / exposed....and we are playing even less entertaining football in the main, and results are more mixed.

I don’t really want to go back to a back 5 (even though I’m a fan of it), plus we don’t have Kalas or Baker fit either.  Having said that (and I know @JonDolman might agree), could we use Rowe at LCB in a 3?

All a bit of a mess really.

Time to be patient and see what team gets picked tomorrow and the result and performance that ensues.

 

 

When people start making arguments for leaving out one of if not the most creative player in the Championship then I know the game is going to the dogs quite honestly.

I can only speak for myself but I didn’t get into football because I adored statistics. When I started playing a watching results weren’t the be all and end all and sod the quality of the football.

We will no doubt see Barnsley dominate possession tomorrow but hey, if we win 1-0 on the break then what an amazing game it was. Another LJ masterclass IF YOU ******* LIKE😂.

The stats obsessed game that football all is becoming is not for me tbh. Box Entries? I’ll be telling the club to stick them up their arse in the next couple of years or so if the current fare is what football is deemed to be about.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Good earlier post by @Tipps69 and @The Dolman Pragmatist.

Re Eliasson - if you look back over the season, he only started playing back to back games v Huddersfield.  Regular Sub appearances but only 3 starts before that.  Were goals a problem up to that point?  No, not really.

We’ve had more scoreless games (4 of which Eliasson started 3) in the Eliasson-starting period than we’ve had all season (3 in more games) without him.  Two of those three were 0-0s v Swansea and Forest, at home, but ultimately not bad results looking at where they are in the league.

So if goals haven’t really been a problem all season, as fans, I’d say we (royal we) want entertainment over results / goals.  Eliasson brings that.

But does he lose us something in terms of shape, positioning, etc?

Earlier on this season I was really torn on Nic in terms if should he start or not.  I convinced myself that his assists and trickery outweighed the negative stuff.  I’m starting to move back towards being torn or not.  Because I feel whilst individually it’s great for him, I think it’s possibly having an impact elsewhere on the team.

I really don’t want to make this sound like I’m blaming him, but in accommodating him, we now need to play with width.

Earlier this season with our back 5 (WBs), we had 8 outfield players, playing in the centre of the pitch (3 CBs, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 2 CFs), with the width coming from the WBs.

Now we only have 6 (2 CBs, 2 CMs, 2 CFs), and our defence looks all over the shop / exposed....and we are playing even less entertaining football in the main, and results are more mixed.

I don’t really want to go back to a back 5 (even though I’m a fan of it), plus we don’t have Kalas or Baker fit either.  Having said that (and I know @JonDolman might agree), could we use Rowe at LCB in a 3?

All a bit of a mess really.

Time to be patient and see what team gets picked tomorrow and the result and performance that ensues.

 

 

But when he came off the bench he normally got the assists to win the game, and that’s the point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

When people start making arguments for leaving out one of if not the most creative player in the Championship then I know the game is going to the dogs quite honestly.

I can only speak for myself but I didn’t get into football because I adored statistics. When I started playing a watching results weren’t the be all and end all and sod the quality of the football.

We will no doubt see Barnsley dominate possession tomorrow but hey, if we win 1-0 on the break then what an amazing game it was. Another LJ masterclass IF YOU ******* LIKE😂.

The stats obsessed game that football all is becoming is not for me tbh. Box Entries? I’ll be telling the club to stick them up their arse in the next couple of years or so if the current fare is what football is deemed to be about.

I’m not sure I get your point...apologies.

are you saying you want to see entertainment and don’t care about results?  Or vice-versa.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

But when he came off the bench he normally got the assists to win the game, and that’s the point 

On some occasions yes.  As I said I find him a dilemma.  Just my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

When people start making arguments for leaving out one of if not the most creative player in the Championship then I know the game is going to the dogs quite honestly.

I can only speak for myself but I didn’t get into football because I adored statistics. When I started playing a watching results weren’t the be all and end all and sod the quality of the football.

We will no doubt see Barnsley dominate possession tomorrow but hey, if we win 1-0 on the break then what an amazing game it was. Another LJ masterclass IF YOU ******* LIKE😂.

The stats obsessed game that foot all is becoming is not for me tbh. Box Entries? I’ll be telling the club to stick them up their arse in the next couple of years or so if the current fare is what football is deemed to be about.

With respect it's not purely about statistics. Can't you see with you own eyes the drawbacks of using Eliasson? To be straight, I like Eliasson and what he brings, but I struggle, as Dave Fevs does to be sure if the pros CONSISTANTLY outweigh the cons with our current playing staff/system. And to be fair the stats just back that up.

I've thought for months now, if we play Eliasson it has to be a 4231 system, with lots of movement and inter -changing upfront to negate him just being marked out of the game. This system IMHO would also reduced the negative impact of his poor defensive reading of the game when we lose possession. The effort is there defensively with him, he just doesnt appear "savvy" enough at present to me when possession is turned over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Good earlier post by @Tipps69 and @The Dolman Pragmatist.

Re Eliasson - if you look back over the season, he only started playing back to back games v Huddersfield.  Regular Sub appearances but only 3 starts before that.  Were goals a problem up to that point?  No, not really.

We’ve had more scoreless games (4 of which Eliasson started 3) in the Eliasson-starting period than we’ve had all season (3 in more games) without him.  Two of those three were 0-0s v Swansea and Forest, at home, but ultimately not bad results looking at where they are in the league.

So if goals haven’t really been a problem all season, as fans, I’d say we (royal we) want entertainment over results / goals.  Eliasson brings that.

But does he lose us something in terms of shape, positioning, etc?

Earlier on this season I was really torn on Nic in terms if should he start or not.  I convinced myself that his assists and trickery outweighed the negative stuff.  I’m starting to move back towards being torn or not.  Because I feel whilst individually it’s great for him, I think it’s possibly having an impact elsewhere on the team.

I really don’t want to make this sound like I’m blaming him, but in accommodating him, we now need to play with width.

Earlier this season with our back 5 (WBs), we had 8 outfield players, playing in the centre of the pitch (3 CBs, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 2 CFs), with the width coming from the WBs.

Now we only have 6 (2 CBs, 2 CMs, 2 CFs), and our defence looks all over the shop / exposed....and we are playing even less entertaining football in the main, and results are more mixed.

I don’t really want to go back to a back 5 (even though I’m a fan of it), plus we don’t have Kalas or Baker fit either.  Having said that (and I know @JonDolman might agree), could we use Rowe at LCB in a 3?

All a bit of a mess really.

Time to be patient and see what team gets picked tomorrow and the result and performance that ensues.

 

 

Good / Interesting / thought provoking thoughts on Eliasson , Dave

Eliasson is symptomatic of one of Johnson’s major flaws IMHO

Recruiting / Planning / Planned playing ethos / Squad Building

 

I’ll take you back to when we signed Eliasson  

At the fans forum a few days later LJ did a 20 minute presentation on recruitment and on the signing of Eliasson ( @Harry)

Sat in bed with laptop , wyscout etc

I can go into detail about how the one player or type of player he wanted was Anthony Knockart who was flavour of the month at Brighton and he went into great detail how Eliasson showed all of Knockharts traits

Now you , I And most on this forum will have an accurate assessment of Anthony Knockarts attributes , but also the downsides (In simple terms defensive attributes / discipline and team cohesion)

So where did Eliasson ever fit into his plan and playing ethos - did he expect to sign a Knockart clone / game changer yet have someone who also fittted naturally into his planned formation and style with good in his defensive responsibilities  ?

Shiny toy syndrome 

 

FWIW I think Eliasson has some of the quickest feet I’ve ever seen and I’d be working on his goal output rather than turn him  into a solid wide player - In the current squad he is the one who stands out as Premier League Potential IMHO 

A good coach IMHO should be able to form a side incorporating his abilities as our X factor 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good / Interesting / thought provoking thoughts on Eliasson , Dave

ta 👍🏻

Eliasson is symptomatic of one of Johnson’s major flaws IMHO

Recruiting / Planning / Planned playing ethos / Squad Building

But he’s a “builder”, a “gardener” 👀

True, throughout this pre-season, although I think we signed some very good players (I still think they are too), I could not see how the team was gonna shape up, and whilst not attending pre-season friendlies it was difficult to firm that up.  Pretty sure it was @Silvio Dante who posted that it looked like we were going 4231.  But then we conceded 3 v FGR and got stuffed by Palace.  Perhaps that created doubts?

I’ll take you back to when we signed Eliasson  

At the fans forum a few days later LJ did a 20 minute presentation on recruitment and on the signing of Eliasson ( @Harry)

Sat in bed with laptop , wyscout etc

remember it well...mentioned Knockaert analysis only the other day.

I can go into detail about how the one player or type of player he wanted was Anthony Knockart who was flavour of the month at Brighton 

Now you , I And most on this forum will have an accurate assessment of Anthony Knockarts attributes , but also the downsides (In simple terms defensive attributes / discipline and team cohesion)

yep, all correct.

So where did Eliasson ever fit into his plan and playing ethos - did he expect to sign a Knockart clone / game changer yet have someone who also fittted naturally into his planned formation and style with good in his defensive responsibilities  ?

Shiny toy syndrome 

Quite probably.  I’m not convinced Eliasson has improved his defensive capabilities.  In the same way some moan about Palmer’s workrate being a bit of closing down and a few sliding tackles, they’ll use similar to say Eliasson has really improved defensively.  Even Gregor (not here to defend himself) and I had a bit of a debate via Twitter DM re tackling stats, and me saying they weren’t worth reading too much into.

FWIW I think Eliasson has some of the quickest feet I’ve ever seen and I’d be working on his goal output rather than turn him  into a solid wide player - In the current squad he is the one who stands out as Premier League Potential IMHO

I know what you mean, I’d need some evidence of him playing differently.  Having said that, when he plays left, he doesn’t hug the left touchline he floats around much better.  When on the right he stays tight to the touchline.

A good coach IMHO should be able to form a side incorporating his abilities as our X factor

We have absolutely zero distraction from the task in hand now...we can all fairly judge the next 19 games from both coaching perspective and players.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

 

👍

I think he is an easy blame for our defensive frailties Personally Dave , he’s certainly willing , if not the sharpest off ball 

I think  others who play in front of of the back four / five get an easy ride on here , our Premier League bound skipper for one

The back four a mess in itself with a £1.9 million pound right back and another whose valued at more than that struggling to competently fill the spot , and ever changing Centre halves combinations(For a variety of reasons) who have been , very mixed in performance

And Possibly the biggest factor , constant changes of systems , no continuity

Thank Christ Lee had some of that Webster money for a goalkeeper , eh Lee ......

Otherwise I think we’d be looking over our shoulders about now  

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

👍

I think he is an easy blame for defensive frailties Personally Dave , he’s certainly willing , if not the sharpest off ball

I don’t blame him for it all, but think he is one of the factors....especially when he plays right.

I think  others who play in front of of the back four / five get an easy ride on here , our Premier League bound skipper for one

the movement has been poor, but what has made it worse is the lack of angles too.

The back four a mess in itself with a £1.9 million pound right back and another whose valued at more than that struggling to competently fill the spot , and ever changing Centre halves combinations(For a variety of reasons) who have been , very mixed in performance

Hunt earlier this season looked like the Hunt I’d seen at Wednesday, and why I thought he’d be a good signing.  Since coming back from injury his form has been so in and out.  Was great the other week v Luton (who were poor admittedly), but then awful in others.  Is he another brought back too quickly.  Pereira has been good defensively but he lacks confidence on the ball.

Thank Christ Lee had some of that Webster money for a goalkeeper , eh Lee ......

MA signed him 👀 😂😂😂

Otherwise I think we’d be looking over our shoulders about now  

 

  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 06:46, Tipps69 said:

It wasn’t a ‘daisy cutter’ as you call it, the ball didn’t touch the grass until it hit the back of the net, so wasn’t slowed down by the heavy conditions. I wouldn’t blame Bentley for their goal, no one was probably expecting their centre half to come forward & hit a ball that has broken to him about 30 yards out first time, it’s probably about as likely as Baker or Williams doing similar for us & if they did, it would probably be more of a worry for the stewards in the car park than it would for the oppositions keeper!

It was a more than decent strike by someone that no one probably expected it from that came through a crowd of players. With a minute to go, he took a gamble & it paid off handsomely for him, fair play to the guy.

Trouble was he did the same thing first half and it nearly worked.

Someone on the pitch or in the dugout must think he can shoot, don’t  let him try it again and what do we do let him have another go.

Edited by wayne allisons tongues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

With respect it's not purely about statistics. Can't you see with you own eyes the drawbacks of using Eliasson? To be straight, I like Eliasson and what he brings, but I struggle, as Dave Fevs does to be sure if the pros CONSISTANTLY outweigh the cons with our current playing staff/system. And to be fair the stats just back that up.

I've thought for months now, if we play Eliasson it has to be a 4231 system, with lots of movement and inter -changing upfront to negate him just being marked out of the game. This system IMHO would also reduced the negative impact of his poor defensive reading of the game when we lose possession. The effort is there defensively with him, he just doesnt appear "savvy" enough at present to me when possession is turned over.

That was how we were playing Tuesday. Eliasson, Pato, weimann interchanging and playing various roles. Worked find till 65 mins.

On came Palmer for Pato and we lost all momentum and was basically playing 451 with Palmer happy on Right wing between Hunt and Weimann. 
Who told him to play there if LJ he lost us match with change of formation.

If Palmer why is he playing where he feels like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

That was how we were playing Tuesday. Eliasson, Pato, weimann interchanging and playing various roles. Worked find till 65 mins.

On came Palmer for Pato and we lost all momentum and was basically playing 451 with Palmer happy on Right wing between Hunt and Weimann. 
Who told him to play there if LJ he lost us match with change of formation.

If Palmer why is he playing where he feels like.

As the game wasn’t on telly I had no idea what shape we played when KP came on.  You saying he played RW?  Where was Weimann playing?

Edited by Davefevs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As the game wasn’t on telly I had no idea what shape we played when KP came on.  You saying he played RW?  Where was Weimann playing?

Palmer played central, Weimann right in a 4-2-3-1. At least I think that was the plan. We lost cohesion after the substitution.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well of course they did . If they play to their potential it should be an easy game . Cup football though doesn’t work like that .   A combination of manager and players let us down . Unfortunately the manager cops the flak 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

As the game wasn’t on telly I had no idea what shape we played when KP came on.  You saying he played RW?  Where was Weimann playing?

Guess he was suppose to play a free role but spent most of time on right wing between weimann and Hunt.

This meant Nagy had to push up for no cover centrally and Shrewsbury worked that out quickly and took off wider players and filled the middle and from then on we had no control of the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Guess he was suppose to play a free role but spent most of time on right wing between weimann and Hunt.

This meant Nagy had to push up for no cover centrally and Shrewsbury worked that out quickly and took off wider players and filled the middle and from then on we had no control of the game.

 

I’m still confused.  Where was Pato playing before Palmer replaced him?  We were 442, yes?

Pato left, Eliasson right?  Brownhill, Nagy CMs? Yes?

Did Eliasson go left?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2020 at 22:51, CityCiderEd said:

Just looked at LJ's stats when he was manager at Barnsley and in 42 games he used 10 different formations................

Because he thinks he is much smarter than he actually is.

7 formations apparently this season - I bet tomorrow makes it 8!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all responses, some of the contributions on here are truly first class.  My God OTIB has a lot of quality - take a bow one and all.

There's a lot of topics covered here, that's for sure.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

With respect it's not purely about statistics. Can't you see with you own eyes the drawbacks of using Eliasson? To be straight, I like Eliasson and what he brings, but I struggle, as Dave Fevs does to be sure if the pros CONSISTANTLY outweigh the cons with our current playing staff/system. And to be fair the stats just back that up.

I've thought for months now, if we play Eliasson it has to be a 4231 system, with lots of movement and inter -changing upfront to negate him just being marked out of the game. This system IMHO would also reduced the negative impact of his poor defensive reading of the game when we lose possession. The effort is there defensively with him, he just doesnt appear "savvy" enough at present to me when possession is turned over.

Eliasson is our best “footballer” on the ball. Our main “go to” style of play should be based around accommodating him accepting that he can still work bloody hard on weaknesses defensively that allow us to slot him into other systems the Manager might want to set us up with (which will also increase his value massively).

The day we rid our squad of all talent and revert to picking 11 players of very average ability because they can be “trusted” in the system is the day I don’t renew my season ticket tbh. The football is bad enough as it is regardless of being 1 point off the play offs.

For me entertainment and watching players do things nobody in the stands could do is important. Might not be for everyone else but it is for me. I would rather watch non league football than a “War of Attrition” every week tbh.

Because of Managers like Johnson (not just him) we have fans regurgitating exactly what they hear from these people and talk in the pub about systems, formations you never knew existed, transitions, quoting statistics that are often irrelevant and the like. All sounds impressive then you find out they have not kicked a football since Junior School😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m still confused.  Where was Pato playing before Palmer replaced him?  We were 442, yes?

Pato left, Eliasson right?  Brownhill, Nagy CMs? Yes?

Did Eliasson go left?

Was a 4231 to start 
 

Hunt baker Williams Rowe

          Nagy 

       Brownhill Kept dropping deep

weimann Pato eliasson These kept swapping around Pato cover Brownhill when deep

fammy on his own

 

palmer came on 

 

hunt  Williams Moore Rowe
 

                Nagy Brownhill

Palmer 

weimann                               Eliasson

 

             Fammy 

 

 

Thats how it looked like from the away end

Palmer kept going to the right and Weimann Eliasson didn’t swap over. 
 

Massive hole which Nagy tried to fill but when pushed up left gap between midfield and defence which Shrewsbury exploited with there subs.

 

Hopefully makes sense now, after match started topic about Palmer and where was he playing for made no sense. Was just getting in the way of Hunt.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @wayne allisons tongues, much appreciated.

I thought after Pato’s left wing performance v Wigan he’d have kept him there.

And then from you say, when Palmer come on, looks like a mix of 4231/433.

Im glad I wasn’t there 🤣🤣🤣

Looks confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Eliasson is our best “footballer” on the ball. Our main “go to” style of play should be based around accommodating him accepting that he can still work bloody hard on weaknesses defensively that allow us to slot him into other systems the Manager might want to set us up with (which will also increase his value massively).

The day we rid our squad of all talent and revert to picking 11 players of very average ability because they can be “trusted” in the system is the day I don’t renew my season ticket tbh. The football is bad enough as it is regardless of being 1 point off the play offs.

For me entertainment and watching players do things nobody in the stands could do is important. Might not be for everyone else but it is for me. I would rather watch non league football than a “War of Attrition” every week tbh.

Because of Managers like Johnson (not just him) we have fans regurgitating exactly what they hear from these people and talk in the pub about systems, formations you never knew existed, transitions, quoting statistics that are often irrelevant and the like. All sounds impressive then you find out they have not kicked a football since Junior School😂

I'm not against Eliasson playing; far from it. But it has to work. Our head coach and his team need to earn their corn and get it right.

I too am not interested in turgid, "safe" football to get results, but what I'm saying is, is for whatever reason when Eliasson plays, after a couple of games he's effectively marked out if the game, and with it all of our "flair" play disappears. As has been said there's no reason we can't accommodate him, not sure why we can't tbh, but there it is, it's a fact we don't seem to play well for more than a game or two with him in the side.

Hope we find a way, wide men an attacking football has always been the "Bristol City way".

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I'm not against Eliasson playing; far from it. But it has to work. Our head coach and his team need to earn their corn and get it right.

I too am not interested in turgid, "safe" football to get results, but what I'm saying is, is for whatever reason when Eliasson plays, after a couple of games he's effectively marked out if the game, and with it all of our "flair" play disappears. As has been said there's no reason we can't accommodate him, not sure why we can't tbh, but there it is, it's a fact we don't seem to play well for more than a game or two with him in the side.

Hope we find a way, wide men an attacking football has always been the "Bristol City way".

 

Your first comment sums it up for me👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Eliasson is our best “footballer” on the ball. Our main “go to” style of play should be based around accommodating him accepting that he can still work bloody hard on weaknesses defensively that allow us to slot him into other systems the Manager might want to set us up with (which will also increase his value massively).

The day we rid our squad of all talent and revert to picking 11 players of very average ability because they can be “trusted” in the system is the day I don’t renew my season ticket tbh. The football is bad enough as it is regardless of being 1 point off the play offs.

For me entertainment and watching players do things nobody in the stands could do is important. Might not be for everyone else but it is for me. I would rather watch non league football than a “War of Attrition” every week tbh.

Because of Managers like Johnson (not just him) we have fans regurgitating exactly what they hear from these people and talk in the pub about systems, formations you never knew existed, transitions, quoting statistics that are often irrelevant and the like. All sounds impressive then you find out they have not kicked a football since Junior School😂

I think for a Country that was known for its lack of tactical understanding fans displaying knowledge of the game is a cool thing. 

In regards to Eliason and systems .. Were you excited when Bristol City beat Manchester Utd? Drama? Dull war of attrition? That system did not have a player in it in Eliason's mould. He would not have been accommodated in it. 

I understand your point. I feel posters are picking up on Bristol City not having a system. Bristol City are not moving towards football that would accommodate the player or otherwise. 

There are consistent points made about Elaison that are fair. Opinion is frequently a question of what values you have and want to see. There are fans who yearn to see that excitement of that night, that teams football or similar back. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

They are also much bigger clubs than we are.

Oh right, so you now need to be a big club to be able to play some decent football. Someone better have told Shrewsbury that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I think for a Country that was known for its lack of tactical understanding fans displaying knowledge of the game is a cool thing. 

In regards to Eliason and systems .. Were you excited when Bristol City beat Manchester Utd? Drama? Dull war of attrition? That system did not have a player in it in Eliason's mould. He would not have been accommodated in it. 

I understand your point. I feel posters are picking up on Bristol City not having a system. Bristol City are not moving towards football that would accommodate the player or otherwise. 

There are consistent points made about Elaison that are fair. Opinion is frequently a question of what values you have and want to see. There are fans who yearn to see that excitement of that night, that teams football or similar back. 

LJ has tied himself in knots!! We are a reactive team who seem to have no identifiable way of playing except we prefer to counter attack.

The way of playing is more important than the formation. You can play a 442 or a 352 in completely different ways, the point being it’s a lot easier to adapt if the common way you play is known by the players.

If you try to be front foot one week, back foot the next and wait and see what the other lot do the next you are not helping players at all.

Yes it’s cool to have tactical knowledge but LJ seems to use his to confuse himself and everyone around him. From listening to people who were there Tuesday was a prime example.

Anyway let’s hope for three points AND a performance later👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

I think for a Country that was known for its lack of tactical understanding fans displaying knowledge of the game is a cool thing. 

In regards to Eliason and systems .. Were you excited when Bristol City beat Manchester Utd? Drama? Dull war of attrition? That system did not have a player in it in Eliason's mould. He would not have been accommodated in it. 

I understand your point. I feel posters are picking up on Bristol City not having a system. Bristol City are not moving towards football that would accommodate the player or otherwise. 

There are consistent points made about Elaison that are fair. Opinion is frequently a question of what values you have and want to see. There are fans who yearn to see that excitement of that night, that teams football or similar back. 

Out of interest, if you were to become City’s Head-Coach, how would you do it, and by that I mean:

- do you have a philosophy or system

would you try to fit players into it from day one, or gradually transition to it through coaching and recruitment?  Or would you look at what you’ve got, find what you think is the best for that group of players and then make that better and better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

LJ has tied himself in knots!! We are a reactive team who seem to have no identifiable way of playing except we prefer to counter attack.

 

 

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The way of playing is more important than the formation. You can play a 442 or a 352 in completely different ways, the point being it’s a lot easier to adapt if the common way you play is known by the players.

 

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If you try to be front foot one week, back foot the next and wait and see what the other lot do the next you are not helping players at all.

 

I have used your post in that manner because I agree with all of the points.

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Anyway let’s hope for three points AND a performance later 

Well it was a win. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, if you were to become City’s Head-Coach, how would you do it, and by that I mean:

- do you have a philosophy or system

would you try to fit players into it from day one, or gradually transition to it through coaching and recruitment?  Or would you look at what you’ve got, find what you think is the best for that group of players and then make that better and better?

It is an out there scenario but a question is what is the expectation from the club itself? What is the clubs it (big plan)? Much noise was once made about BCFC’s player pathway and nurturing local talent. Local lads playing in Bristol City’s XI are now a rarity.

So the starting point is what is IT and what are the expectations. If its win, win now, play as you want and we can spend this, play eleven Eskimos on the pitch if it gets them the wins they consider to be progress. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2020 at 09:44, Numero Uno said:

We will no doubt see Barnsley dominate possession tomorrow but hey, if we win 1-0 on the break then what an amazing game it was. Another LJ masterclass IF YOU ******* LIKE😂

Wasn’t that far out..........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...