IGNORED

Halfway through the January window

Wolf Island

7 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

FA cup tie with the European and world champions gone

Out of the play offs and dropping like a stone

No signings and humiliated by an Arsenal youth team player

What will it take for the Lansdowns to make changes???

Saturday will tell.  Most of us have had enough.  Injuries, well so has everyone else. Fatigue, so has everyone else.  Including bottom half of L1 Shrewsbury.

3 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

FA cup tie with the European and world champions gone

Quite simple....a decline in league position, at some point between 16:50 on Saturday and end of May along with other unknown factors that make SL think LJ isn’t the man.  Unfortunately we don’t know what those factors are!

We could be back in the top 6 on Saturday evening.  Ask yourself whether you’d think sacking LJ would look sensible then?

To quote the Monty Python “he’s not the messiah”, and to unquote them “he’s not a very naughty boy” either.

He does things that massively frustrate me, as do the players.  But we are in the mix, and as long as we stay in the mix, he’ll have my support, and I suspect SL’s too.  Will I post “I could’ve done better” stuff on OTIB?  You bet I will....but take it with a pinch of salt (as I’m not a pro), and use it as a debating point, not FACT. ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Quite simple....a decline in league position, at some point between 16:50 on Saturday and end of May along with other unknown factors that make SL think LJ isn’t the man.  Unfortunately we don’t know what those factors are!

We could be back in the top 6 on Saturday evening.  Ask yourself whether you’d think sacking LJ would look sensible then?

To quote the Monty Python “he’s not the messiah”, and to unquote them “he’s not a very naughty boy” either.

He does things that massively frustrate me, as do the players.  But we are in the mix, and as long as we stay in the mix, he’ll have my support, and I suspect SL’s too.  Will I post “I could’ve done better” stuff on OTIB?  You bet I will....but take it with a pinch of salt (as I’m not a pro), and use it as a debating point, not FACT. ?

You are spot on with this post, I mentioned on another thread earlier that I think LJ is a great manager when we are going well (which we often do with him), and am quick to doubt his ability to bring us success when he goes on one of his trademark losing streaks.  But the FA Cup has come and gone, Shrewsbury probably wanted it more last night and they deserve their glamour tie (probably against a team containing only 2 or 3 players that anyone has ever heard of), they are not looking anything like play-off contenders and are unlikely to end up in a relegation battle.  With all due respect to the Shrews, we have bigger fish to fry, and we have won 2 of our last 3 league games.  

I view Barnsley as a really big game (but NOT at this stage of the season a must-win!).  3 points could propel us back into the top 6 and showing a return of 9 points from 12.  But if we lose things could get toxic.  

I am still desperate for him to do well, but he does my head in on a regular basis!  

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Saturday will tell.  Most of us have had enough.  Injuries, well so has everyone else. Fatigue, so has everyone else.  Including bottom half of L1 Shrewsbury.

To be fair, all clubs get injuries but ours have been pretty mental in the last two and a half seasons. Possibly amongst the worst?

Am talking medium and long term on the one hand, then recurring ones. Kalas, Nagy still don't seem fit and I believe the former is out again. Baker injured again Tuesday? 

Weve had a shitload of rolling injuries. Talking medium to long term.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This.

We're all frustrated right now and I think if this bad run carries on much longer LJ will be gone pretty soon but right now it's still silly to call for his head the way some people are.  As you say we could be in the top 6 on Saturday after winning 3 of our last 4 league games.

It's funny how the same people that are absolutely convinced that LJ can't take us any further were also convinced we were getting relegated 3 years ago.

5 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

You are spot on with this post, I mentioned on another thread earlier that I think LJ is a great manager when we are going well (which we often do with him), and am quick to doubt his ability to bring us success when he goes on one of his trademark losing streaks.  But the FA Cup has come and gone, Shrewsbury probably wanted it more last night and they deserve their glamour tie (probably against a team containing only 2 or 3 players that anyone has ever heard of), they are not looking anything like play-off contenders and are unlikely to end up in a relegation battle.  With all due respect to the Shrews, we have bigger fish to fry, and we have won 2 of our last 3 league games.  

I view Barnsley as a really big game (but NOT at this stage of the season a must-win!).  3 points could propel us back into the top 6 and showing a return of 9 points from 12.  But if we lose things could get toxic.  

I am still desperate for him to do well, but he does my head in on a regular basis!  

Top top post and in total agreement 

He wasn’t sacked after the worst run in our history. There is no way he is going anywhere when we are one point from the play offs.

If we finish mid table then maybe SL will act but even then I fully expect him to get another season. 

I am not saying I support it, that’s just my view based on what we have witnessed over the last few years.

Lansdown has a history of not firing the gun until things go badly. I fear we will be stuck with LJ until our playoff chances have diminished.

Lansdown is too loyal, I feel that I should be quoting Einstein here. Whilst LJ has delivered year on year improvement, let's not forget we have bottled it time and time again in those years and we should have finished higher. The reality is when there is a big must win game, under LJ, more often than not we bottle it. Again I feel I should quote Einstein here. 

The Shrewsbury game was a watershed moment for me. Once again we lost a big game. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To be fair, all clubs get injuries but ours have been pretty mental in the last two and a half seasons. Possibly amongst the worst?

Am talking medium and long term on the one hand, then recurring ones. Kalas, Nagy still don't seem fit and I believe the former is out again. Baker injured again Tuesday? 

Then we need to find out why we are getting so many injuries.

We have a raft of fitness and sports science bods at the club maybe they need to up their game ? 

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Lansdown has a history of not firing the gun until things go badly. I fear we will be stuck with LJ until our playoff chances have diminished.

Lansdown is too loyal, I feel that I should be quoting Einstein here. Whilst LJ has delivered year on year improvement, let's not forget we have bottled it time and time again in those years and we should have finished higher. The reality is when there is a big must win game, under LJ, more often than not we bottle it. Again I feel I should quote Einstein here. 

The Shrewsbury game was a watershed moment for me. Once again we lost a big game. 

Always the bridesmaid.

Whatever happened to him , top poster I thought ? 
:whistle2:

7 hours ago, Hare Island said:

FA cup tie with the European and world champions squandered

Simples, beer and food sales to plummet at home matches..............have your pint in the Robins or the Coopers ( as the BBC would say, other pubs are available)

As I drive in, I dont drink. I just go to watch the football, and its f******** so predictable and boring

6 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

We have also won 2 of our last 9 GAMES and they were against the bottom 2 teams.

Lucky Lee has somehow managed to keep us "in the hunt" and has the 3rd from bottom team next to face. A far from easy game however as Barnsley are on a bit of a decent run and will be a tough nut to crack.

Seemed to be not so cocky in the interview after Shrews more like someone backed into a corner and saying anything to escape.

While on paper we are 1pt from a play off place, reality to me says we are no-where near and just a couple of failures away from the bottom half.

We do have some good players (need some more) but not a good team or spirit and thats LEEs fault.

Personally  think the injuries argument is an easy excuse. If you actually look back at LJs time with us our results and performances have been alot better when his hands are tied. Give him a full squad and he hasn't a clue how to utilise it. Tinker man comes out to play. I remember Barnsley fans saying the exact same thing.

1 hour ago, One Team said:

He wasn’t sacked after the worst run in our history. There is no way he is going anywhere when we are one point from the play offs.

If we finish mid table then maybe SL will act but even then I fully expect him to get another season. 

I am not saying I support it, that’s just my view based on what we have witnessed over the last few years.

Up to Lansdown isn't it, but people will just stop going

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

This is what I fear. With his new contract I feel like even if we miss playoffs by a decent margin we will be told Lee has earned another go. Patience in football can be commendable but it can also turn very sour. It was commendable when we lost all those games his first season. Think it’ll turn sour this time around. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Then we need to find out why we are getting so many injuries.

We have a raft of fitness and sports science bods at the club maybe they need to up their game ? 

Yep the staff needs to be questioned. The fitness and sports science need to figure it out. But what is LJ doing in training that we have had all these injuries? It isn’t even just first team players either. Have we just been that unlucky? 

1 hour ago, One Team said:

I reckon LJ will be here next season. The injuries - to Afobe, Kalas, Nagy, JD - have been significant enough to warrant some leniency from SL. Add to this not getting Eddie (assuming that was not LJ's fault/responsibility).

It might be one last chance/season, though: play-offs, or piss off. 

Five seasons without once making the top six, even SL will clock that it's just not happening. Thing is, if Lee sneaks us into sixth next season, we lose at the semi stage, and Steve thinks: we're getting there. It's on.

And so we go again. With Lee. Until 2023.....

8 hours ago, Hare Island said:

FA cup tie with the European and world champions squandered

I think if no signings are made before the weekend and we lose on Saturday - AG will inevitably be very toxic. I genuinely think if we lose they might get rid. 

I very much buy into the long term project and accept there will be bumps in the road I also believe that we are in the toughest league in the World with no divine right to beat anyone, sign anyone or play attractive football, you earn that right. I don’t know what people expect, some of the things I read blow my mind! We are Bristol City after all. 

There are 15 clubs with higher wage bills then ours, 16 have had a higher net spend over 5 years and 11 have higher attendances! We are doing brilliantly considering our stature, I think many forget that. Yes the football has been poor at times, but it is for everyone else, How many clubs do you actually watch and are genuinely impressed by and would want your team to play that way? Every other team outside the top 6 in every league probably feels the same way, that we can all do better! Realistically only 2 teams (in auto spots) can ever be truly content, whilst that lasts. 

It hasn’t been great but some clubs would love to win ugly and pick up 3 points at Wigan like we did. When you are at your absolute worst, but still winning games doesn’t that tell you something about the management and players. I understand frustrations but things can change. The championship has always been about which teams can get on the best run of results at the right time, there are 10-12 teams all capable of reaching the playoffs, maybe this year LJ will time our charge just right.

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I'm desperate for him to do well as well, but that's because he's the current City manager and that would mean City doing well, not because he's Lee Johnson ex-player, son of GJ, SL's protege etc.

The unique project we've been subjected to was always almost certain to fail I'm afraid because nothing when he was appointed suggested he was ready to manage a Championship club successfully, in fact the boom and bust characteristics of his management were already notorious at his previous clubs.

You can't attach sentiment to LJ's position as City manager afaic., and I'd hope that's increasingly the case with SL as well.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think if no signings are made before the weekend and we lose on Saturday - AG will inevitably be very toxic. I genuinely think if we lose they might get rid. 

I agree, the is generally a sense that a larger amount of fans have finally had enough,

i can see him continuing TIL the end of the season myself but failure to make the top 8 would see him sacked,

lansdown did it to Wilson in the past 

36 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I cant quite figure out how we are one point off the play offs. We have played pretty poorly in all but a few games. 

Me too.

The football hasn't been very enjoyable to watch, then suddenly we put in a fantastic pulsating performance against Fulham away and we all think here we go, then as baffling as that game was, we then go back to being crap again.

Obviously we've had one of the worst seasons I can remember for Injuries in a long time, including Afobe, which in turn as made the Palmer transfer a bit awkward as I believe he was only really signed due to their link up play.

Then the Shrewsbury game :sad26:

IMO the Championship this season has been pretty poor apart from Brom and Leeds and I think we're going to look back on this season as a massive opportunity (unless we fluke it) messed up.

But at least we're not looking over our shoulders anymore at the Trap Door to League 1 which is a plus point I suppose.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why have we had so many long term injuries in the last few years?

Simply bad luck? Or is/are there reasons/actions that are responsible for so many?

Is it coincidence that many of the long term injured are new arrivals at the club? Is it coincidence that it's happened to Johnson signings? Whereas the Cottrell side played a couple of seasons with hardly any injuries, as far as I can remember.

Without looking up stats, here are some of the long term injuries in the last four years.

Kalas, Dasilva, Nagy, Adobe, Adelakun, Marley Watkins, Janneh (twice), Matt Taylor, Diedhiou, O'Dowda, Fielding. There may be others that I've not remembered. And the frequently injured Baker. 

Bad luck or other factors?

Archived