IGNORED

Halfway through the January window

Wolf Island

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks for the extra info Mr P. I've been following City for so long and cannot remember any time in history when we have, consistently every season, had so many long term injuries.

Training, tactics are two possible. So is just sheer bad luck.

Old adage was "the harder you tackle, the less chance of serious injury." Could it be because players are not going in hard enough, or are they so desperate to be seen as tackling hard, that they are too reckless? Reckless because of the consequences if management see them as not trying hard enough?

And are the injured being brought back too early? Amazed at LJ saying that Dasilva stress fracture is not completely healed (or words to that effect).

All very puzzling.

Could well be cidered.

Kalas is injured again, Nagy doesn't seem fully fit. I was worried about the risk of rushing back DaSilva too- i remember posting a while ago that I hoped these 3 were not rushed back too soon and LJ promised Boxing Day or club did and he appeared...I hoped it was fine but who knows.

I remember 2 seasons ago, Pisano and O'Dowda appeared suddenly in the lineup...vs Sheffield Wednesday at home first weekend of March and at Millwall respectively. I wondered if they were rushed back and shoehorned in before time. Let's hope not though!

That's an interesting point, the tackling. My personal theory at one point was the combination of high pressing or supposed high pressing, not a lot of possession and our shape could have knackered certain players- covering so much ground, more than necessary due to shape and space coverage.

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he came through all youth levels at norwich as a right back to be fair 

He has also played for us there and was pretty poor from memory. If that was his best position now, then he would have played there more times than he has for us wouldn't he?

If the right back answer is Korey then questions need to be asked imo.

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

but it will go 

Millwall win (undefeated in the last 4 winning 2)

Preston D both teams are out of form

Wednesday win (though draw is a good shout as both teams form aren't great)

Swansea win (too strong for a poor wigan side and are in form)

Worst case scenario is that Swansea beat Wigan as expected. We unexpectedly (?!) lose to Barnsley. Then Swansea beat Stoke away when we don't play next week.

Swansea would be 6th and 7 points ahead of us.

Fine, we'd have a game in hand but that's not much comfort.

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

He has also played for us there and was pretty poor from memory. If that was his best position now, then he would have played there more times than he has for us wouldn't he?

If the right back answer is Korey then questions need to be asked imo.

disagree there, I always thought he did a decent job at right back, although he had a problem of drifting into the middle, but central players will do that,

Put it another way I wouldn't mind him starting ahead of hunt at right back until hunt rediscovers his form

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The winter window is never easy. Agents tend to hang on until the last minute and they all know that City are desperate for a striker and may well be playing a waiting game in an attempt to get a better deal.

I’d be no surprise if bugger all happens until the last day of January.

Agreed, however other teams seem to doing better...

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm desperate for him to do well as well, but that's because he's the current City manager and that would mean City doing well, not because he's Lee Johnson ex-player, son of GJ, SL's protege etc.

The unique project we've been subjected to was always almost certain to fail I'm afraid because nothing when he was appointed suggested he was ready to manage a Championship club successfully, in fact the boom and bust characteristics of his management were already notorious at his previous clubs.

You can't attach sentiment to LJ's position as City manager afaic., and I'd hope that's increasingly the case with SL as well.

I am not quite sure why you seem to think , from my post that you quoted, that I want to him to do well for any other reason than he is the club's current manager. In fact I am totally puzzled that you came to that conclusion!  I have no sentiment to any manager, I just judge them on the job they do here,  and have always despised some of the cosy club cultures/nepotism that the club seems to indulge in, Tinnion and Millen's managerial appointment's, as well as Johnson senior always picking his son, being great examples of that!

I wanted LJ gone 3 years ago during "that run", as most probably did, but that didn't happen and things took a turn for the better, but these losing runs are still a problem, which I addressed in my post.  But I don't give a flying fig about the FA Cup, we can now concentrate on trying to get promoted, and we are 1 point outside the play-offs, so we have a great chance of making the top 6.  I am also not bothered about performances, results are everything, it does not matter if the football is not pretty. 

So my view is that, as we are still right in the play-off mix, it would not be a good time to sack LJ (the exception to that might be if there was an obvious candidate that we thought could almost guarantee success).  However, if we fail to make the play-offs this season (and we have history of dropping off in the 2nd half of the season) then we should get rid, whether we miss out on goal difference or even if some goon of a referee drops a clanger in the last minute of the last game of the season that means we don't make the play-offs, we should just be ruthless and replace the whole management team.  

If that makes be sound like a sentimental old fart, then so be it!

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I think that ‘one point off the play-offs’ bit is upsetting a few who want the man to lose his job.

Its not the one point of the play offs, its we have been here before many times; it was not long back we were right behind the likes of Wolves near the top of this div, they have reached the high spots of the Prem we have just gone around in circles.

LJ seems un-able to get the best out of what are some good players, which no doubt is why most of our "good" are keen to move on...... every season.

8 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Its not the one point of the play offs, its we have been here before many times; it was not long back we were right behind the likes of Wolves near the top of this div, they have reached the high spots of the Prem we have just gone around in circles.

LJ seems un-able to get the best out of what are some good players, which no doubt is why most of our "good" are keen to move on...... every season.

They also had and still indeed utilise a superagent.

That makes a big difference. We all know what SL thinks of agents...would he countenance a Jorge Mendes type arrangement here?

That said, I agree that LJ cannot and hasn't been able to get the best out of a reasonable range of players. Recurring theme.

25 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I am not quite sure why you seem to think , from my post that you quoted, that I want to him to do well for any other reason than he is the club's current manager. In fact I am totally puzzled that you came to that conclusion!  I have no sentiment to any manager, I just judge them on the job they do here,  and have always despised some of the cosy club cultures/nepotism that the club seems to indulge in, Tinnion and Millen's managerial appointment's, as well as Johnson senior always picking his son, being great examples of that!

I wanted LJ gone 3 years ago during "that run", as most probably did, but that didn't happen and things took a turn for the better, but these losing runs are still a problem, which I addressed in my post.  But I don't give a flying fig about the FA Cup, we can now concentrate on trying to get promoted, and we are 1 point outside the play-offs, so we have a great chance of making the top 6.  I am also not bothered about performances, results are everything, it does not matter if the football is not pretty. 

So my view is that, as we are still right in the play-off mix, it would not be a good time to sack LJ (the exception to that might be if there was an obvious candidate that we thought could almost guarantee success).  However, if we fail to make the play-offs this season (and we have history of dropping off in the 2nd half of the season) then we should get rid, whether we miss out on goal difference or even if some goon of a referee drops a clanger in the last minute of the last game of the season that means we don't make the play-offs, we should just be ruthless and replace the whole management team.  

If that makes be sound like a sentimental old fart, then so be it!

Well, re-reading your previous post I can still see why I saw it as a reasonable possible conclusion to come to, but fair play you have now made it abundantly clear I was mistaken to do so!

Good post btw.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I think if we finish 7-12th Johnson would have the excuse that we had a transition season with raft of signings, and an injury crisis. 

He would probably then go into 2020-21 with a lot to prove, and limited patience at the club.

But? Has he muddied the waters in the City staff? Comment regarding MA after cup loss will not have gone down very well!

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That makes a big difference. We all know what SL thinks of agents...would he countenance a Jorge Mendes type arrangement here?

That said, I agree that LJ cannot and hasn't been able to get the best out of a reasonable range of players. Recurring theme.

It didn't and still doesn't hurt Wolves having a super coach either !

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Do you think said coach would have even heard of Wolves without the involvement of said agent?

Said coach is a football man so would certainly have heard of Wolves.

Academic really though, because they do have a super coach who has more than met expectations up there,who arguably had his two toughest games against us during their promotion season, which possibly gives a lot of City fans food for thought when they consider our seasons since then.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

And are the injured being brought back too early? Amazed at LJ saying that Dasilva stress fracture is not completely healed (or words to that effect).

All very puzzling.

I can't believe we'd even risk him playing if he wasn't 100% It's crazy. 

We were supposedly going to bring in two strikers. Allowing for the club maybe  banking on Ntekiah being one then surely we should have someone else being lined up. And we have 16 days of the window now gone. Then you read in the Post that now Ntekiah has fallen through the club will look at other targets!! For those more learned than me , was Ntekiah going to be the only striker signed this window. And has this caught Ashton and co out. 

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

We were supposedly going to bring in two strikers. Allowing for the club maybe  banking on Ntekiah being one then surely we should have someone else being lined up. And we have 16 days of the window now gone. Then you read in the Post that now Ntekiah has fallen through the club will look at other targets!! For those more learned than me , was Ntekiah going to be the only striker signed this window. And has this caught Ashton and co out. 

We would of been looking at other targets before during and after the transfer window,

not getting Eddie will not make much of a difference to that to be honest

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

but it will go 

Millwall win (undefeated in the last 4 winning 2)

Preston D both teams are out of form

Wednesday win (though draw is a good shout as both teams form aren't great)

Swansea win (too strong for a poor wigan side and are in form)

I'll tell u what............I will bet Reading away win....`Preston deaw......Sheff W draw and Swansea Draw {Slight change, as i cannot see Wigan winning away} for £5 on Betfair...........and see if I win?    Ha|  Very unlikely, BWTF. ?  PS. Very confident of Reading away win........as they are in great form ( Won 5 out of 6 - unbeaten in 9}

2 hours ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

According to Dean Holden nothing is imminent either, oh the joys!! 

I wouldn't be surprised if the purse strings have been tightened, especially after the cup defeat, think we will see a striker due to the Afobe injury but that may be it and in my view that's probably the right way to go, you can't keep signing loads of players, make do with what you've got !!

5 hours ago, Natchfever said:

It didn't and still doesn't hurt Wolves having a super coach either !

He's very good certainly. Done great work there and was good at Valencia. 

What I would say and this leads into your 2nd post to Northern Red I think, he'd surely have heard of Wolves, their history and yes a decent opportunity but in terms of Nuno to Wolves who had been midtable, lower midtable in the prior season in the Championship, I'm unsure it goes Nuno- Valencia and managing in CL, Porto and managing in CL-, non parachute flush Wolves, managing in...C, er, Championship.

Pretty sure Nuno and Mendes were as a pair at Valencia, Porto I dunno about.

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

We’re soft. 

We appoint compliant managers and coaches. We buy lightweight and weak-minded players. We’re a shambles. 

We’ve seemingly got  players who don’t want to be here, don’t want to play for the manager, probably get leg strains from stiff clutches on their latest flash cars (remember Giggsy), players who only want to turn out when its sunny and warm, players who hide when the going gets tough..... it goes on. 

We know we’re stuck with ‘the genius’ for the rest of the season. Increasingly likely now that we are going to do our normal disastrous January window, so may as well experiment - just go for the ones that have delivered (with us or on loan) and might have, or are proven to have, a bit of bottle.

Bents

K Smith       Wright    Taylor Moore       Dasilva

J Smith      Morrell   Rowe      Eliasson

Fammy  Taylor

Would suspect that team to have dealt with the likes of Shrewsbury over two legs and at least would put in a united shift worthy of support during league matches.

Frankly, **** poor that we’ve ended up with scraping a team together given the effort put into identifying our transfer targets, setting aside the £millions spent. 

If I were Lansdown, I’d send the rest of the squad down to Lympstone for 6 weeks commando training to toughen them up a bit. 

A nice mud run..good for the skin!

12 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We have also won 2 of our last 9 GAMES and they were against the bottom 2 teams.

Lucky Lee has somehow managed to keep us "in the hunt" and has the 3rd from bottom team next to face. A far from easy game however as Barnsley are on a bit of a decent run and will be a tough nut to crack.

Seemed to be not so cocky in the interview after Shrews more like someone backed into a corner and saying anything to escape.

While on paper we are 1pt from a play off place, reality to me says we are no-where near and just a couple of failures away from the bottom half.

We do have some good players (need some more) but not a good team or spirit and thats LEEs fault.

We are indeed, but on the flip, we are a couple of wins (not performances) away from being right in the thick of it.  These next 3/4 games will leave us much clearer.  If we are still 1 point off or better, that’s fine.  If we are 4/5+ points off the play-offs, and 9/10th then it probably looks like we are falling away.

10 hours ago, mozo said:

Looking at the fixtures, I strongly doubt that a win will propel us into the top 6:

Millwall v Reading

Preston v Charlton

Sheff Wed v Blackburn

Swansea v Wigan

Could be a bad time to drop points!

It’s the Championship, it’s bonkers.

Back to the thread title. After Saturday we don't play again until after the window closes (slams shut !). I would assume SL / MA are waiting to see what happens vs Barnsley before making any final decision on new players. No rush now until deadline day.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think this is exactly true he has got the best out of plenty of players - some he has, some he hasn't just like most managers. Flint, Bryan, Kelly, Webster, Reid, for example all players who moved on as a result of him getting the best out of them. A few of those examples haven't had the same success elsewhere. Also when he arrived he kept us up with the same players that had been struggling. I think we are like most other clubs and LJ like most other managers in this respect. 

2 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Don't think this is exactly true he has got the best out of plenty of players - some he has, some he hasn't just like most managers. Flint, Bryan, Kelly, Webster, Reid, for example all players who moved on as a result of him getting the best out of them. A few of those examples haven't had the same success elsewhere. Also when he arrived he kept us up with the same players that had been struggling. I think we are like most other clubs and LJ like most other managers in this respect. 

Didn't LJ also have the services of 6 new players - Matthews, Pearce, O'Donnell, Tomlin, Odemwingie and Golbourne?

Archived