IGNORED

Halfway through the January window

Wolf Island

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Didn't LJ also have the services of 6 new players - Matthews, Pearce, O'Donnell, Tomlin, Odemwingie and Golbourne?

Happy to be corrected but I thought they were all here thought LJ arrived after thd window closed. Memory does play tricks with these things though. 

3 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Don't think this is exactly true he has got the best out of plenty of players - some he has, some he hasn't just like most managers. Flint, Bryan, Kelly, Webster, Reid, for example all players who moved on as a result of him getting the best out of them. A few of those examples haven't had the same success elsewhere. Also when he arrived he kept us up with the same players that had been struggling. I think we are like most other clubs and LJ like most other managers in this respect. 

I think he's good and even excellent at getting a fair bit or a lot out of, and indeed improving certain types of players. 

Younger, maybe academy based, from a similar or lower level. 

Internationals, or from top division here or 3-4 in Europe, or players with a bit behind them or who have played at a higher senior level than he did...I dunno, there's something not quite right there. IMO anyway.

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Back to the thread title. After Saturday we don't play again until after the window closes (slams shut !). I would assume SL / MA are waiting to see what happens vs Barnsley before making any final decision on new players. No rush now until deadline day.

Well we don't have many strikers and will be short of a centre back if Wright is loaned out. So I'm hoping we already know what we want and are trying to make it happen.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We are indeed, but on the flip, we are a couple of wins (not performances) away from being right in the thick of it.  These next 3/4 games will leave us much clearer.  If we are still 1 point off or better, that’s fine.  If we are 4/5+ points off the play-offs, and 9/10th then it probably looks like we are falling away.

It’s the Championship, it’s bonkers.

The next 3 games indeed will give us the best chance on paper to kick on; Barnsley 3rd bottom and then QPR and Brum who both have only won 1 in there last 5 games; after that come Derby, WBA, Leeds, Huddersfield and Millwall. We have only beaten the bottom 2 teams in the last 9 league/cup games, seems to me we are falling away already.:dunno:

On 16/01/2020 at 00:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

To be fair, all clubs get injuries but ours have been pretty mental in the last two and a half seasons. Possibly amongst the worst?

Am talking medium and long term on the one hand, then recurring ones. Kalas, Nagy still don't seem fit and I believe the former is out again. Baker injured again Tuesday? 

Weve had a shitload of rolling injuries. Talking medium to long term.

So with no injuries do you think that LJ knows his best formation and team? I think the injuries have been a good excuse. 

If LJ at this stage oif the season does not know the best formation and the best team what affect does this have on the players. They must dread the pre game team talk always based on stopping the opposition (irrespective of their league position or form) and constantly changing. It must give the player massive confidence being step up to prevent the other team playing instead of playing ourselves. Somebody said last week that we don't have an identity. I think we do. Our identity mirrors that of LJ as a player. Negative (stay in the team by doing nothing wrong or risky and suck up to the management) Teflon (its never my fault) Inferiority complex (based on knowing he is not quite good enough and being unable to relate to players with natural talent flair or aggression) Talking the talking not walking the walk (no explanation needed)

30 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

So with no injuries do you think that LJ knows his best formation and team? I think the injuries have been a good excuse. 

If LJ at this stage oif the season does not know the best formation and the best team what affect does this have on the players. They must dread the pre game team talk always based on stopping the opposition (irrespective of their league position or form) and constantly changing. It must give the player massive confidence being step up to prevent the other team playing instead of playing ourselves. Somebody said last week that we don't have an identity. I think we do. Our identity mirrors that of LJ as a player. Negative (stay in the team by doing nothing wrong or risky and suck up to the management) Teflon (its never my fault) Inferiority complex (based on knowing he is not quite good enough and being unable to relate to players with natural talent flair or aggression) Talking the talking not walking the walk (no explanation needed)

I'm unconvinced he does tbh.

Not helped one bit by the churn of players- some of them were unavoidable (FFP) but overall the churn is far too much.

5 hours ago, glos old boy said:

The next 3 games indeed will give us the best chance on paper to kick on; Barnsley 3rd bottom and then QPR and Brum who both have only won 1 in there last 5 games; after that come Derby, WBA, Leeds, Huddersfield and Millwall. We have only beaten the bottom 2 teams in the last 9 league/cup games, seems to me we are falling away already.:dunno:

I do agree with you but am I right in saying that QPR in cup and league won 6-1 and 5-1 at home recently?! Doesn't sound like an easy away game to grind out a cheeky 1-0!

On 16/01/2020 at 07:51, Gert Mare said:

I can’t see SL pulling the trigger whilst we are still in the mix, but come the end of the season I reckon that will be it. I cannot see him being given another season if we end up mid-table come May.

I think the opposite. 

Johnson is an easy person to manage for Lansdown. He isn’t an in your face manager who will demand a £15M striker etc. He will work with what he gets by Lansdown, which is a fair budget. Johnson is a ‘friend of the family’ so he can’t be too bolshy or demanding as he does not want to sour the relationship. It’s a good partnership for them both, Johnson is given ample funds to improve the team, yet manages to bring in a raft of players who aren’t good enough or don’t ‘fit in’. Lansdown is happy as he gives Johnson some money, knowing full well he won’t be pressed or put under any pressure and everybody plays happy families. 

Johnson will be here next season, will be given a load of money and will sign 10+ players. I mentioned it on another thread, but lather, rinse, repeat. 

On 16/01/2020 at 06:57, oldstandrobin said:

Simples, beer and food sales to plummet at home matches..............have your pint in the Robins or the Coopers ( as the BBC would say, other pubs are available)

As I drive in, I dont drink. I just go to watch the football, and its f******** so predictable and boring

Amazing. I am gobsmacked.

If you think it is a good idea to cost the club cash as some sort of protest, why not go the whole hog and maybe burn downone of the stands?

(Shakes head and walks away).

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

If you think it is a good idea to cost the club cash as some sort of protest, why not go the whole hog and maybe burn downone of the stands?

How different is that than voting with your feet and staying away ??? I go to watch FOOTBALL and not for the A la Carte menus on offer. By going I can make my voice heard . I am not afraid of criticizing if I dont like WHAT I AM PAYING FOR. Dont you go there for the football then Cyril. When I first started at the gate, had a tea hut in corner of the East End, lack of Watering Holes didnt affect the Team then. People today bloody mollycoddled

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

Tried that years ago Cyril and went to the wrong ground :city:

Archived