IGNORED

Barnsley Fans View on LJ and our Club

Abraham Romanovich

1 hour ago, B1ackbird said:

Alot of their fans hate his guts and have very long memories, I mean, Sunderland fans have never forgiven Coventry from all those years ago.. 

I'll never forgive Scott Minto for that throw in.  

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

its 60 million over 3 years all of which has been spent by our head coach

We sold Bryan replaced him with DaSilva

We sold flint replaced him with webster

We sold Webster replaced him with Kalas

So he’s not spent all the incoming money, at all..! 
He’s had to replace big money outgoings, with cheaper incomings to replace them! 
And it goes far beyond the 3 examples that you have highlighted there. 

That’s not a moan about it. It’s a sensible and prudent business model - but it highlights the difficulties that LJ faces, year on year. 

Infact, of the top of my head, I can’t think of a single position, other than Goalkeeper, where we have (directly or indirectly) replaced a first team regular with one of a higher transfer fee. 
Going right back to

Kodjia - Tammy  loan & then Fammy

Reid - Wiemann

Kelly - Bryan and then Bryan - Dasilva 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So he’s not spent all the incoming money, at all..! 
He’s had to replace big money outgoings, with cheaper incomings to replace them! 
And it goes far beyond the 3 examples that you have highlighted there. 

That’s not a moan about it. It’s a sensible and prudent business model - but it highlights the difficulties that LJ faces, year on year. 

Infact, of the top of my head, I can’t think of a single position, other than Goalkeeper, where we have (directly or indirectly) replaced a first team regular with one of a higher transfer fee. 
Going right back to

Kodjia - Tammy  loan & then Fammy

Reid - Wiemann

Kelly - Bryan and then Bryan - Dasilva 

he has spent all the money, look at the player turnover, we've signed over 50 players and they aren't all free transfers

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

Interesting the inevitable focus on how much we’ve spent, without noting that we’ve raked in about £80m gross in 2 years by selling most of our best players, a process that appears ongoing, viz Brownhill.

But what is overlooked is that Johnson has had years of working with these top players who a lot have now gone onto bigger things, and still not managed to make the play offs. Since he arrived he has worked with:

Kodjia, Abraham, Reid, Diedhiou

Brownhill, Pack, Tomlin, Eliasson, Palmer, Hegeler, Kent, O'Neil, Nagy, Massengo, Freeman

Bryan, Webster, Kalas, Dasilva, Kelly, Baker, Flint, Magnússon, Ayling

Bentley, Maenpaa, Gieffer

All players who have experience playing in Championship or higher leagues, several Champions League. He has had the ability to work with quality goalscorers, experienced midfielders and loads of top defenders. Several of the above have gone on to play in the premier league or made big money moves away from City under johnsons control.

A quality championship manager would have been able to work with the combinations of these players Johnson has had and reap greater success than 8th, 11th, 17th and 18th in the Championship.

Equally interesting how people focus on these players being sold, rather than the fact we have continually had top quality players in our squads at City who a lot have gone onto bigger and better things - yet Johnson gets a free clause because they are eventually sold, rather than focusing on the fact he has only once in 4 years made the top third of the division.   

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Agreed!! The club's brought the expectations on themselves ..High value sales and turn over of players also the ground and training ground.. It's premiership ambition.  So yes we do expect especially signing a centre half for 8 million.. We expect higher and more consistent performances!! That's the ground they've set this season. 

You are right, alongside the owner stating that top 6 was the ambition for the season.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

its 60 million over 3 years all of which has been spent by our head coach

We sold Bryan replaced him with DaSilva

We sold flint replaced him with webster

We sold Webster replaced him with Kalas

All of those replacements costed a lot less than the player sold

2 hours ago, Super said:

They’re one point off the play offs in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

what do they expect, exactly?

2 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Couldn’t put it better myself.

* Since you ask:

- Give Shrewsbury a damn good thrashing .... to blow away the cobwebs

- Register Tinnion in time for the Liverpool game

- Beat Liverpool 1-0 (for old times sake).  Expect maddog Tinnion to  play a stormer and score with his cultured left foot

- Win the FA Cup

- Get promoted into the Prem

- Onto European Glory next season.

* I'm a fan ... not a realist

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

i'd check the accounts before making such a claim,

We've broken our transfer record 3 or 4 times under johnson

Don't have to check the accounts the figures output in the press don't even come close eg Webster sold £23m Kalas bought £8m, Flint sold £8m Webster bought £3.5M, Bryan sold £10m DaSilva bought £3m - these figures won't be exact but whatever they are LJ's made a vast profit for the club.

1 hour ago, STeveOELlis said:

We're yet to replace Webster. Taylor Moore has stepped up, but he's not the player Webster was. Webster was the catalyst for almost all of our attacks last season and it'll be impossible to replace that, but Kalas certainly did not replace Webster

To be fair Taylor Moore is a couple of years younger than Webster, and whilst I agree he has stepped up and is not the player Webster was, its fair to say he has massive potential 

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

Don't have to check the accounts the figures output in the press don't even come close eg Webster sold £23m Kalas bought £8m, Flint sold £8m Webster bought £3.5M, Bryan sold £10m DaSilva bought £3m - these figures won't be exact but whatever they are LJ's made a vast profit for the club.

so you know all the signing on fees, bonuses, undisclosed fees, add ons, as well as the tribunal payments for younger players we've picked up on a free 

On 05/01/2020 at 13:02, Davefevs said:

Net spend is irrelevant these days....it’s wage bills and amortisation of players contracts that matter, both in the accounts and for FFP.

Bristol City football club (The Footie club and the Stadium are reported together under Bristol City Holdings), have the following basic finances:

Turnover / income : £17.7m (+)

Wages / Salaries: £24.6m (-)

Operating Costs (what it costs to run the business): £10.4m (-)

Amortisation of player contracts (Transfer fee divided by contract years): £8.1m (-)

Loss: £25.5m

78DA2739-E2BF-4462-A169-DF68217A13C9.thumb.jpeg.c114dfc58048f82d3f464703d772612f.jpeg

That’s why LJ cannot just spend what he generates in transfer income.  He has to take wages and depreciation (amortisation) into account.

Take Webster being replaced by Kalas.

Net spend:

Webster’s profit - £20m fee minus the £2.7m left on his amortised contract (£3.5m / 4 years - 3 years left) minus the sell-on of £1.7m (if 10% to Ipswich), means £15.6m profit

Kalas - £7m fee 

So why can’t LJ spend £8.6m more.

Because Kalas is now costing him:

£1.75m per year in amortised contract costs (£7m / 4 year contract)

£1.25m in wages per year

Webster was costing him:

£0.875m per year in amortised contract costs (£3.5m / 4 year contract)

say £15k per week - £0.75m in wages

Thats £3.0m per year that we’ve committed to for the next 4 years.  It’s 12% of our wage budget!  For one player!  Every player he buys has to be thought about in this context.  He’s twice as costly as Webster!

Now do that with Dasilva, Palmer, etc, and it shows how a big squad becomes a millstone around our necks.

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

All of those replacements costed a lot less than the player sold

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I’d take off those tinted specs as they seem to have interfered with your understanding

I recommend you read DaveFevs post here and look , and understand a little deeper 

2 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

To be fair Taylor Moore is a couple of years younger than Webster, and whilst I agree he has stepped up and is not the player Webster was, its fair to say he has massive potential 

Taylor Moore is so much better since he went out on loan, I think he'll continue to improve and will have a great future at Prem level

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d take off those tinted specs as they seem to have interfered with your understanding

I recommend you read DaveFevs post here and look , and understand a little deeper 

And those accounts confirm we're only keeping our heads above water financially by our profits on player trading

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

I would argue that’s mainly due to more money in football as a whole than Johnson just being backed more. Transfer records are regularly broken every transfer window.

no they aren't,

maybe in the top flight which is awash with money outside of that however not at all

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

And those accounts confirm we're only keeping our heads above water financially by our profits on player trading

thats about as far from the truth as you can get,

we are 50 million in debt, the only reason we are 50 million in debt is because lansdown since he's been at the helm has written off 200 million quid

also 2019 accounts is the first time bristol city football club made a profit since 1997

10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Yes , that’s right

And that’s because we’ve signed 50 plus players , many on good wages ,

we have a large wage bill and running costs, and thus need to sell,  not because we pay top wages, which we don’t , but predominantly because Johnson has managed after 4 years and about 7 windows to assemble an unbalanced bloated squad,  which currently appears a shambles , and in which he hasn’t got a clue of his best team or formation  or way of playing

We have million pound + players and multi million pound players who can’t even make match day squads 

Not a problem when you’re spending others money I guess But is a major flaw holding us back

Sorry I forgot , recruitment is nothing to do with Lee , it’s all that Mark Ashton’s fault - he just keeps turning up handing Lee more and more players without Lees say so

I guess you do realise that to date , he’s sold ONE player that he’s signed , at a profit 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes , that’s right

we have a large wage bill and running costs, and thus need to sell,  not because we pay top wages, which we don’t , but predominantly because Johnson has managed after 4 years and about 7 windows to assemble an unbalanced bloated squad,  which currently appears a shambles , and in which he hasn’t got a clue of his best team or formation  or way of playing

We have million pound + players and multi million pound players who can’t even make match day squads 

Not a problem when you’re spending others money I guess But is a major flaw holding us back

Sorry I forgot , recruitment is nothing to do with Lee , it’s all that Mark Ashton’s fault - he just keeps turning up handing Lee more and more players without Lees say so

Yup. I just wish we did what Leeds are. Spending it on concentrated quality over quantity.

Imagine if we lumped Watkins/O'Dowda/Smith's wages into one star player ? 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes , that’s right

Other clubs in the Championship are envious of our recruitment record and wish they could do as well, it's been one of our great success stories. There will always be duff signings that goes with the territory but we've had some great successes with several sales over £10M, most Championship clubs have got nowhere near that.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

Other clubs in the Championship are envious of our recruitment record and wish they could do as well, it's been one of our great success stories. There will always be duff signings that goes with the territory but we've had some great successes with several sales over £10M, most Championship clubs have got nowhere near that.

who?

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Really ?

Who & who has said so exactly ?

As for your several sales over £10 m claim

Theres been two Webster, and Kelly who was an academy graduate , not recruited and joins Academy graduated Bryan and a Reid as our major sales

So what was this about our recruitment success ?  

or were you referring to someone like Brentford ?

Just now, ashton_fan said:

If I signed 50 players I would hope a few of them would go on to better things. The trick is finding quality to start with and then nurturing it. Lees polucy is more hit and hope.

Archived