IGNORED

Is the squad itself top 6?

Sturny

Let’s not mention LJ here, just the players. Don’t bring any agendas in here fellas. 

Do you believe the players themselves have the quality to perform as a consistent top 6 team throughout the season? I do. We’ve seen some serious quality plays from individuals, I could sit here and list them but we’ve all seen it at times.

What’s your thoughts? 

18 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Let’s not mention LJ here, just the players. Don’t bring any agendas in here fellas. 

Do you believe the players themselves have the quality to perform as a consistent top 6 team throughout the season? I do. We’ve seen some serious quality plays from individuals, I could sit here and list them but we’ve all seen it at times.

What’s your thoughts? 

If we win tomorrow, then yes, hopefully. 
Currently, not quite. But only 1 point off being..! 

No I don't believe the squad is as good as top 6. We have neither the midfield or attack good enough. The defence would be if they were not constantly under as much pressure due to inability of midfield and strikers to retain possession consistently. However I am basing my opinion. Strictly on just the 7 away games I have attended. 

32 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Dont forget Brentford.

I thought of them but I'm not so sure. Sawyers was one of their best players but looks only half as good in another team. I think their identity makes their players perform better than they would elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What if you break it down per player?

Bentley and DaSilva are the only top 6 players I believe we have at this moment.

Kalas was f last season maybe, not so far this.

For me I'd say Eliasson and Weimann in the right systems definitely are top 6 players

46 minutes ago, Sturny said:

What’s your thoughts? 

On our day we are capable of beating anyone in this division but do are others

Leeds & West Brom are the strongest squads and should be pushing for autos. The next 10 placed clubs are all very similar and the ones who can get good consistency in their form will get in the other 4 play off spaces 

I would love us to go on one of our long winning streaks now but can’t see it with the options we have up front 

Defensively we have lost Baker & Kalas for a few games also

If we don’t strengthen with 2 forwards a physical midfielder and another CB then the also ran tag will be pinned on us 

I think we have the best squad at the Gate since we lost the play-off final v Hull.  Solid shot stopper in Bentley, 2 quality centre backs in Kalas and Williams with Baker as able replacement and Taylor Moore an emerging talent, quality in Hunt and (a fit) DeSilva.  I think we're a little one dimensional in midfield especially in the height category.  Brownhill will be gone and I don't think we have a ready replacement currently at the club (on loan maybe).  Elliason is a gem and Weimann works his nuts off.  Diedhou to me is a committed workhorse but a 20 goal a season striker, he ain't.  

But, yes, we should be challenging for the play offs.

41 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Yes. Leeds, West Brom & Fulham are the only teams I'd say are definitely better. The rest is arguable in my opinion. 

These 3 definitely 

35 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Dont forget Brentford.

This one possibly.

Re our squad, having done enough reviews of other squads as part of my “what can we expect...” threads I think we are in a group with Forest, Preston, Swansea and Hull, maybe Cardiff who would say they are top 6.

As you say this is not about coaches, systems or even injuries.

Not sure how long Mitrovic is out, that could hamper Fulham, and you never know who might be sold this window either. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d say Bentley is of top 6 quality. 
A fit Baker is probably of top 6 quality. 
A fit Kalas is not far off. 

The rest are not. Thus, we don’t have a top 6 squad. 

Dasilva is. 

Nagy and Massengo need a bit of time.  

A confident Brownhill wouldn’t look out of place in a top six side.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d say Bentley is of top 6 quality. 
A fit Baker is probably of top 6 quality. 
A fit Kalas is not far off. 

The rest are not. Thus, we don’t have a top 6 squad. 

But as per the OP can we be a top 6 team. I doubt many clubs outside of the big 3 have all / most of their players as top 6 players. 

Just now, RedDave said:

Dasilva is. 

Nagy and Massengo need a bit of time.  

A confident Brownhill wouldn’t look out of place in a top six side.

Dasilva has not proven anything yet. 
He’s played well at L1 and decent last season at mid-table/top 10 champ. 
Yet to prove to me that he’s a consistent top 6 quality performer. 
Nagy & Massengo definitely not proven anything yet. 
Brownhill, not for me. Not consistently enough to be called top 6 quality. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

But as per the OP can we be a top 6 team. I doubt many clubs outside of the big 3 have all / most of their players as top 6 players. 

Nope. I don’t think we can. We are missing vital ingredients.

A solid spine, for one. 

Just now, Harry said:

Sounds like Dyche disagrees with you! 

Dasilva was quality most of last season

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nope. I don’t think we can. We are missing vital ingredients.

A solid spine, for one. 

That’s fair enough. But if I was head coach......

......ok I jest!! ???

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Sounds like Dyche disagrees with you! 

Dasilva was quality most of last season

I’d disagree. Dasilva was good in spells last season but had clear deficiencies in defensive areas and often was sloppy in possession. 
Still learning and he sure has potential to be up there, but he’s not proven that as yet. 

And that’s fine, I disagree with Dyche. 

49 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

And we beat Fulham 2-1 away from home.

And we lost 3 0 at  bottom club Luton. Then beat them.  All bit non sensical   Top six with these players. Unlikely. Not enough quality final third.  As has been problem this and last season.  Await with trepidation see what happens next couple weeks 

7 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Difficult, I do think we have the quality to challenge for top 6 , you say we should not factor in LJ, problem is that the players don’t set the tactics - in my opinion the answer is that we shall struggle to equal last seasons position!

The request for this thread was to NOT mention LJ. Plenty of other threads for that Dave. 
This is purely chat about the quality of the players - regardless of manager, formations, motivation, etc. 
Lets try to honour the opening posters request, just this once. 

Archived