IGNORED

Is the squad itself top 6?

Sturny

12 minutes ago, dave36 said:

You could be, if LJ were the court Jester the king would have his head! 

Twice in 2 posts. Come on Dave. Plenty of room elsewhere for that. Respect the thread. 

5 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

If Baker is above Kalas then maybe we had our pants pulled down paying £8m for him then.

Indeed 

46 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

The performances suggest otherwise but the league table does not lie

I've never understood this saying.  The table doesn't "lie" as such (how could it??) but it's not really that accurate in terms of where a team is at either.  Hence why the table changes every week.

Would any of our players get into any of the current top 6 and make them better(starting XI)? Think Bentley, Kalas, Brownhill would. Everyone else arguable at best.

That said think a few more have the ability to be top 6 but we haven’t seen their best. Kalas and Brownhill haven’t seen their best this season. Think Bentley been fantastic considering what he has been up against. Dasilva, Nagy, Massengo and Eliasson(been great this season but hasn’t made a place in the squad his) all have the talent to be top 6 players. 

So that is potentially 7 top 6 players. Then you get Weimann, Fam, Baker and Williams who I think can be good starters for sides 8-12. So that makes 10 players top half worthy. 

Then you get good pros and probably starters for most bottom half clubs like Hunt, Smith, Watkins, COD, Moore(has potential not quite the defender I’d like him to be), Periera, And Palmer(potential to be more) so basically a full squad of championship starters at various levels. 

I don’t think you need top 6 players in every position to be a top 6 side. So all in all I think we have the squad(talent)for it. And yes we are a point from top 6 but performances haven’t felt like we are even that close. So yea, don’t think the squad is a massive problem but putting it down on paper makes me realise we aren’t that great which is more depressing considering what we spend on playing staff

23 minutes ago, Roe said:

I've never understood this saying.  The table doesn't "lie" as such (how could it??) but it's not really that accurate in terms of where a team is at either.  Hence why the table changes every week.

It tells the truth ONCE a season. After 46 games.

This squad, and the way it is being managed, will end up about 10th - 12th at best IMO.

Whether this is acceptable or not  is a whole new topic, when people talk about year on year progress etc etc.

We are a bit short on numbers up top. But I believe we have the ability for top 6. But would take some very good management from LJ to manage it. 

I'm not one of these that seem to think it's the end of the world if we don't make top 6.

Only 6 teams can make it, and there's plenty of very good teams so it's certainly not easy. 

52 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I know he only played a few games  but if Afobe never  got injured I still think the top two was a real possibility 

I've been tempted to start a thread for a while now called 'The Afobe Myth' arguing that maybe he did look good, but you can't assume that he would continue to be good. Maybe it was just a good patch? Who knows?

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We are a bit short on numbers up top. But I believe we have the ability for top 6. But would take some very good management from LJ to manage it. 

I'm not one of these that seem to think it's the end of the world if we don't make top 6.

Only 6 teams can make it, and there's plenty of very good teams so it's certainly not easy. 

You’re gonna get jumped on - Harry is watching! 

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes - any one of Warnock, Pearson, McCarthy, Bruce, Wilder, etc, would have us up there - and all rejected as not being good enough for our club on here ...

Add to that Sir Alf, Sir Bobby, Clough, Bob Paisley, Holloway...   What the **** is wrong with this Lansdown bloke??

3 hours ago, Harry said:

The request for this thread was to NOT mention LJ. Plenty of other threads for that Dave. 
This is purely chat about the quality of the players - regardless of manager, formations, motivation, etc. 
Lets try to honour the opening posters request, just this once. 

Really? The players could all be World Cup players, but in the end it matters not one bit , they follow orders and in my opinion our players ARE  good enough for top 6, IF their quality is not stifled by the inexcusable coaching they would be  - it’s an opinion, which we are all entitled to

23 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Really? The players could all be World Cup players, but in the end it matters not one bit , they follow orders and in my opinion our players ARE  good enough for top 6, IF their quality is not stifled by the inexcusable coaching they would be  - it’s an opinion, which we are all entitled to

But Dave. That’s not the question. 
The opinion you hold is absolutely fine. And you have plenty of opportunity to express it in many other threads. 
This one is purely about the players abilities. 
Come on now Dave, be a good boy and stick to the opening poster’s request. 

5 hours ago, Sturny said:

Let’s not mention LJ here, just the players. Don’t bring any agendas in here fellas. 

Do you believe the players themselves have the quality to perform as a consistent top 6 team throughout the season? I do. We’ve seen some serious quality plays from individuals, I could sit here and list them but we’ve all seen it at times.

What’s your thoughts? 

NO... 

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Current form suggests that the squad is not even top 6 of L1.

Form over the season so far suggests otherwise.

For me, the squad is good enough to be top half pushing play offs. Decent keeper, 1 very experienced CB, 2 with varying levels of experience at a decent level - Baker in actual game time and Kalas being around a top quality squad. Competent enough full backs going forward if not a little less convincing defensively.

2 real quality technical centre mids in Nagy and Massengo who are currently playing within themselves / not to their potential for whatever reason. Palmer and Elliason have the magic to make something happen with the right movement around them.

Little lightweight up top in terms of quality but actually doing well in terms of goals scored.

We just aren’t getting the best out of what we have. We have players that would be first choice in most other teams in this division, IMO

Archived