Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

reddogkev

Bring Back Bobby Reid !!!

This is the internet version of shouting from the roof tops (of Ashton Gate, with an arm around his shoulder), I don't care what it takes but I want Bobby back at City.

He could be the catalyst to spark us back into life, and help push us ever closer to the Prem.

The outstanding football we played when Bobby excelled 2 years ago was down to his leading the press from the front, and of course his newly-discovered finishing quality.

I'm not sure if rules would permit us signing him in January (nor that Fulham or Cardiff would agree) but as long as red blood runs through my veins I will not rest until Bobby Reid has returned.

Now, who's bloody with me?  How about we whip up 1000 t-shirts to hand out tomorrow?  Granted, that part might just be a little bit short-notice.

Steve Lansdown, Lee Johnson, Mark Ashton - BRING BACK BOBBY!

And no I don't give a flying frigg about the supposed saying of 'Never Go Back' ...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Snake 1

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

This is the internet version of shouting from the roof tops (of Ashton Gate, with an arm around his shoulder), I don't care what it takes but I want Bobby back at City.

He could be the catalyst to spark us back into life, and help push us ever closer to the Prem.

The outstanding football we played when Bobby excelled 2 years ago was down to his leading the press from the front, and of course his newly-discovered finishing quality.

I'm not sure if rules would permit us signing him in January (nor that Fulham or Cardiff would agree) but as long as red blood runs through my veins I will not rest until Bobby Reid has returned.

Now, who's bloody with me?  How about we whip up 1000 t-shirts to hand out tomorrow?  Granted, that part might just be a little bit short-notice.

And no I don't give a flying frigg about the supposed saying of 'Never Go Back' ...

I'd definitely welcome him back. Completely agree the football was outstanding with him up top, not properly replacing him has held us back massively.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, antlers said:

I'd definitely welcome him back. Completely agree the football was outstanding with him up top, not properly replacing him has held us back massively.

Yes Antlers, now there's two of us, with a bit of help from Robbored no doubt -  let's bloody well do this.

I want to use the full power of the Web to make this happen. 

19 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You prepared to wait until the summer?

He’s played for Cardiff and Fulham this season...he can’t play for us until next season, and Fulham gave an option to buy at £11m.

I hope MA hasn’t been chasing Reid this winter!

6 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

He chose to chase the cash at fulham instead of coming back to city , thanks for the memories next 👍

How do you know that's the case? 

He and Bryan both said they wanted new challenges and prem football when they left and Fulham should have a better chance of getting back to the prem than we have. 

He may well have just been chasing money but from what I can see it is just as easily footballing reasons and a new challenge away from a club he spent several years at bit doesn't support.

• Like 1

Like Bobby and think he’s a very good player at this level but think we need a number 9 who plays on the last man and stretches the game more. 

See Bobby as more of a number 10 and we have a very good player in that position in Weimann.

38 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

He chose to chase the cash at fulham instead of coming back to city , thanks for the memories next 👍

Or he had a chance to move near his sister and to the club Bryan is at given how long they've played together. He's on loan so would be on his cardiff wage, if it's not a mandatory future fee from Fulham then if they didn't want him after the season then he's hardly chasing money. 

35 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Like Bobby and think he’s a very good player at this level but think we need a number 9 who plays on the last man and stretches the game more. 

See Bobby as more of a number 10 and we have a very good player in that position in Weimann.

Is everyone on here pissed? Weimann the runner a very good player!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Right, you and me, outside, now!

This could be interesting especially if one lives in Keynsham and the other in Clevedon !

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

This could be interesting especially if one lives in Keynsham and the other in Clevedon !

Not a problem, I've got quite long arms

• Like 1

10 hours ago, reddogkev said:

It's a nice thought but I think he's looking a little higher than us right now. Fulham are an upgrade on us and pay higher wages. It's a really good move for him.

If we signed any other striker from the championship with current stats of 4 goals in appearances (not sure how many minutes he’s been getting per game) there would be uproar..!! 

I’ll always look back fondly on THAT season of Bobby’s, but was it a 1 season wonder..? Who knows. Would be a risk imo. That 1 season propelled him into the premier league wage bracket and he’s not justified it since. 

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Like 1

Bring him back? He couldn’t wait to get out! Threw his toys out of the pram at HT in the match around Easter time ( was it Brentford, after the defeat at Millwall on Good Friday, something like that). Left his team mates stunned and we never recovered for the rest of the season. 

He looked great last night though playing for Fulham, would have got a lot of Premiership teams noticing him. I’m sure it won’t be long before he is back there again. 

• Like 1

I think some people aren’t being realistic about Bobby Reid. He had one excellent season for City and that has subsequently been followed by one and a half seasons where is goal scoring has been poor. As @Bar BS3 said, if we signed any other player with his recent scoring record there would be uproar, especially as the fee seems to be £11m. I watched the match last night and his running and chasing was excellent but, when he had half chances, his finishing was poor. We’ve got plenty of players who can run around a bit. What we need is a clinical finisher 

• Like 1

From the BBC.........

Fulham have completed the permanent signing of forward Bobby Decordova-Reid from fellow Championship side Cardiff City, for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old spent the first half of the season on loan at Craven Cottage, scoring four goals in 25 appearances.

Decordova-Reid joined Cardiff for £10m from Bristol City in 2018, his five Premier League goals last season not enough to keep the Bluebirds up.

He has signed until 2023, with Fulham having the option of a further year.

"It's very nice to get it done and dusted. Now we progress with the season and hopefully there's big things to come," Decordova-Reid told the club website.

Fulham's vice-chairman Tony Khan said: "I'm delighted that we managed to get it across the line and now make it permanent, as Bobby's been great for us and we expect there's a lot more to come."

• Like 1

One of the best players I've ever seen for us. Looks just as good now too. Excellent signing for Fulham.

If they go up then I'm sure he will have another go in the prem.

Cardiff and Warnock clearly not right for him.

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

One of the best players I've ever seen for us. Looks just as good now too. Excellent signing for Fulham.

If they go up then I'm sure he will have another go in the prem.

Cardiff and Warnock clearly not right for him.

How long have you been watching us ?

• Haha 1

On 18/01/2020 at 08:48, frenchred said:

Is everyone on here pissed? Weimann the runner a very good player!

Best “footballer” we’ve got - only the clueless ones say he just runs around and does nothing else ....

• Like 1

Bobby is the departure that has affected us the most over the last five years at least; perhaps even the last decade. We have never replaced him. Weimann plays an important role in this team but is not the answer. Bobby didn’t just score the goals; he made the whole team tick. He is the one striker we have ever had that has managed to bring the best out of Diedhiou. I don’t have confidence that the current recruitment system can find somebody that brings what Bobby did to our team. He was the glue that held it all together.

Those saying that this thread is stupid are being very harsh. Bringing him back was unrealistic even before he made his Fulham stay permanent but it is not unreasonable to say that we have never recovered from his departure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Best “footballer” we’ve got - only the clueless ones say he just runs around and does nothing else ....

You think Weimann is the best all round footballer at the club? 

5 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

You think Weimann is the best all round footballer at the club? 

Certainly a quality player hence a regular in team . Premier league past. International background.  Seems to be  on a level above many of our players who do not pick out his runs.  I recall LJ saying they never thought they would land him. I think he is certainly a top player, just a shame he gets moved around the pitch as wide man, front man etc etc  

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Certainly a quality player hence a regular in team . Premier league past. International background.  Seems to be  on a level above many of our players who do not pick out his runs.  I recall LJ saying they never thought they would land him. I think he is certainly a top player, just a shame he gets moved around the pitch as wide man, front man etc etc  

Oh 100% agree with everything you just said. But the best footballer? I mean it depends what you want from a footballer i guess.

51 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

The problem with AW is hes not quite a striker, but not quite a winger/wide man either.

22 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The problem with AW is hes not quite a striker, but not quite a winger/wide man either.

Not while LJ is here anyway. 

The reason he did poorly last year is he wasn’t good enough for the Prem - especially not in a Warnock style side.

He did at least make the right decision to go play for a team more suited to him this season. Not sure how much he has started or played in his favoured position this season but definitely a decent championship player. 

20 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The reason he did poorly last year is he wasn’t good enough for the Prem - especially not in a Warnock style side.

He did at least make the right decision to go play for a team more suited to him this season. Not sure how much he has started or played in his favoured position this season but definitely a decent championship player. 

I think he`s been mostly a sub but is getting starts now Mitrovic is injured.

Reid was quality when they moved him further forward. His best attributes was his link up play with midfield and his composure when surrounded by opposition. That’s what we are missing most at the moment and obviously a goal scorer. Still think sammy will eventually be the man to take over that role. Personally feel we should of not let him out on loan and actually set the team up to play to his strengths. 

23 hours ago, Up The City! said:

He's a bit of a Dirk Kuyt. I'm a fan of AW with the right service (hopefully from Kasey) but I'm more of a fan of Bobby. Totally echo all the comments that he's the player we've struggled most to replace! Who would have thought at 22 he'd develop into the player he has!? (answer - LJ and just about no-one else! :P)

Mental really.

If he hadn't 'come good' in his last season for us, I'd imagine most of us would have said, "waste of a wage, time to let him go, been here since he was a kid and can't hold down a midfield spot".

A change of position, a shed load of goals and the lad is set up for life.

Fair play to him!

Pleased for him. A shame he still isn't with us.